Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Cythereal posted:

Playing through Homeworld again myself thanks to these LPs, though I'm playing as the Taidann. Toaster mothership aside, I think their ships generally look better and more like a fleet of exiles versus the smooth and rounded Kushan.
Really? I always thought the Kushan ships had a "box with guns and an engine strapped to it"-feel to them. Something that was put together in a hurry. While the Taidani designs were more elegant (for want of a better word). The product a big empire that could take its time to design a ship.

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 00:28 on May 16, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Raygereio posted:

while the Taidani designs were more elegant (for want of a better word).

They were also much more warlike, insectoid and plain evil-looking to me.

And red and yellow's rarely the good guys' colouring scheme, is it?

E:

I mean, when comparing it to blue and white.

THE BAR fucked around with this message at 00:32 on May 16, 2015

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The red and yellow also looks like the backgrounds in the Galactic Core.

quote:

Come to think of it, was it mentioned anywhere how long after the end of Cataclysm this is?

IIRC, Cataclysm is 15 years after HW1, and HW2 is 100 years after HW1.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

THE BAR posted:

They were also much more warlike, insectoid and plain evil-looking to me.

And red and yellow's rarely the good guys' colour, is it?

Kushan ships look much more smooth and rounded to me, a lot like the Federation, while I think Taidani ships look distinctly lower-tech and crude, built for functionality rather than looks.

As it is, my Taidani exiles journeying to their lost homeworld of Hiigara against the Kushan Empire use green and white as their color scheme.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Cythereal posted:

Kushan ships look much more smooth and rounded to me, a lot like the Federation, while I think Taidani ships look distinctly lower-tech and crude, built for functionality rather than looks.

As it is, my Taidani exiles journeying to their lost homeworld of Hiigara against the Kushan Empire use green and white as their color scheme.

Smoother, sure, but the Taidani has all kinds of nonimportant stuff clamped unto them, like wings and ornate frontal pieces. Maybe it's the yellow that makes it look more industrial?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

RBA Starblade posted:

The red and yellow also looks like the backgrounds in the Galactic Core.

IIRC, Cataclysm is 15 years after HW1, and HW2 is 100 years after HW1.

Has the 100 year gap been retconned by Gearbox? Because I don't recall seeing any references to it in HW2:R, and them bringing back the HW1 Fleet Intelligence voice actor for Remastered seems to imply it's the same character, which would be impossible if it really was 100 years after HW1.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

^^^^ She's like half computer and so functionally pretty much immortal.

Cythereal posted:

I'd say it's really only the Kushan frigates that look like that, or even look good period (well I guess the mothership and their corvettes are also good). The basic Kushan assault frigate is still one of my favorite designs in the series. Their capitals look like lumpy garbage, though. Indistinguishable from a broken down sofa in a trash bag.

The Taiidan on the other hand have trash (but very military looking) frigates, corvettes, and mothership, but great capitals and strike craft.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

nine-gear crow posted:

Has the 100 year gap been retconned by Gearbox?

No, they just got the original actor to voice both guys.

quote:

The Taiidan on the other hand have trash (but very military looking) frigates, corvettes, and mothership, but great capitals and strike craft.

The Taiidan Ion Cannon Frigate looks rad as hell.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.

MadHat posted:

What are you having trouble with exactly? I have gone through the Campaign several times, and even did it again recently. Now I tend to stick to a vary similar Fleet Composition fro all the runs but but the game is not that difficult unless you are running into Scripting Bugs?

Nah, just my tactics. I'll explain what I was doing wrong/poorly in the video. I did beat it this morning, so I'll be working on it over the weekend.

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

I hope to see you next time, and take care all
Is Fleet Intelligence's origin's tied at all to the Bentusi? I recall them mentioning how similar she was to them during one of the Cataclysm cutscenes, but don't know the lore that well. Considering how good the kith's are at copying foreign tech, I can picture an engineer saying "I bet we could do that" after first contact with a Bentusi.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

thiswayliesmadness posted:

Is Fleet Intelligence's origin's tied at all to the Bentusi? I recall them mentioning how similar she was to them during one of the Cataclysm cutscenes, but don't know the lore that well. Considering how good the kith's are at copying foreign tech, I can picture an engineer saying "I bet we could do that" after first contact with a Bentusi.

The lady in Cataclysm was introduced as the Kuun-Lan's tactical officer, and Fleet Intelligence in HW2 is a different person. I could believe Fleet Intelligence is a computer, though, given how incredibly :geno: the voice acting is.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

thiswayliesmadness posted:

The Bentusi in Cataclysm were refering to Karan S'jet (who is Fleet Command in both HW1 & HW2). There's no link between them: Basically she's directly connected to the Mothership via neural implants, just like the Bentusi are to their ships and the Bentusi went "Oh cool. You're using the same controller as us! Awesome!".

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Internet cookie and LP immortality to the person-or-persons who writes a poem about how awesome the Ion Frigate is that I can put into the dead space of the video.

Because I have about 10 minutes of dead space to fill up, and my own appreciation of the Ion Frigate won't cover all that.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

THE BAR posted:

And red and yellow's rarely the good guys' colouring scheme, is it?
A very nice thing about the HW1 campaign is that you can actually make your own color scheme.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

anilEhilated posted:

A very nice thing about the HW1 campaign is that you can actually make your own color scheme.

What? And break canon?!

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

THE BAR posted:

What? And break canon?!

You can also play as the Taidan and fight against the evil Kushan Empire with their mad emperor, so... yeah. :v: Personally, I think it works well from a lore standpoint: it could just as easily have been a victorious Kushan empire exiling a defeated Taidan people to Kharak.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Toaster is the true Mothership. :colbert:

berryjon posted:

Internet cookie and LP immortality to the person-or-persons who writes a poem about how awesome the Ion Frigate is that I can put into the dead space of the video.

Because I have about 10 minutes of dead space to fill up, and my own appreciation of the Ion Frigate won't cover all that.

Have a few haikus, the easiest poems sincerest form of flattery.

Ion Frigates:

The Ion Frigate
is ded killy guys, and also
does not explode easy

Kith Somtaaw's Ions:

A beam of blue light
brings light to the darkness of
a forgotten kith

Multi-beam frigates:

With a dancer's grace
She spins and twirls amongst
The twinkling bright stars

Multi-functionality:

Useful to find ores
Pressed to service in defense
By Karen S'Jet

Fleet Intel:

Fleet Intel had seen
The Precision and Grace of
The Ion Frigate

Research:

Crystal blades of light
Helped focus down ions
Into brilliance

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Let's horribly mutilate some classics in here.

much firepower
resides in

the ion
frigate

glazed with Vagyr
remains

orbiting the mother
ship

---

I have murd'ed
the ships
bearing on
collectors

and which
tactical sent
a wing
of bombers

Forgive me
they blew up super good
so bright
and so colorful

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Once we knew the vast
Desolation between stars
gently caress you too, Relic

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Ion.
Like a lion.
In Zion.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Koorisch posted:

It kind of makes sense when you think of it, they didn't want to get singled out as the ones who released a horror from the past that converted a lot of people into goop to make more goop.

That sounds like something that would end with them being thrown into a sun.

"Our engineers have devised a way to neutralize the threats posed by the intense heat of a sun. Recommend commencing research of Tactical Star Slinging technology immediately."

edit:

ION FRIGATE
here I come, devastatin' the map
drinkin' an ICEE, got a dozen shorties waitin' in back
hey, ya'll! there's some empty seats near the main screen
I got a six of Dew, ya'll can watch some Vaygr burn with me

GOTTA STAY FAI fucked around with this message at 16:27 on May 17, 2015

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Such beautiful works guys!

I'll be working on the update this evening, so feel free to think of more to add to the pile!

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

"HI, I WANT TO HUG PINS NUTS."
:frolf:
I can do doggerel!

Ion! Ion!
Burning bright!
In the Endless Depths of Night
What immortal hand or eye
Can frame thy fearful symmetry?

or how about...

But soft, what LIght from yon frigate breaks?
It is the East, and Ion is the sun.
Arise, fair Ion, and kill the envious (Taidanii/Beast/Vaygr),
Who is already sick and pale with grief

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Ion frigate
Will their starboard fusion chamber breach first
or will ours?
Do I even care?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Ion frigates.

They're kind of crap.

I guess there's a certain charm to that, in a weird way.

(It's free verse.)

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Video processing, no more poetry!

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Poetry in motion: "Meh. We can do better." - Kiith Somtaaw.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby
Ion beams glitter in the dark
Near the Gates of Tenhauser
All those frigates lost
Like tears in rain
Time to salvage more

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

*slow synthesized voice* I AM ION BEAM *heavy guitars*

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

The Casualty posted:

Ion beams glitter in the dark
Near the Gates of Tenhauser
All those frigates lost
Like tears in rain
Time to salvage more

"You look ahead and you see a frigate moving toward you.."

"Frigate? What's that?"

"You know what an explosion is?"

"Of course!"

"Same thing."

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I can now empirically determine that you all suck at poetry.

And that I need to build more Frigates. *shudder*

MadHat
Mar 31, 2011

berryjon posted:

Couple things that would have made that easier on you, Noticing just how many Frigates you could have built is the obvious one
On Dust Clouds, Proximity Sensors give you full visibility in them.
Also you were ignoring the Missile Plats for quite a while at the end there, lost you a couple more Frigates, I do not think your ships even saw all of them for awhile from the Dust and pretty easy to miss since they are not clustered with the Shipyard but more off to the side to protect Oracle Rock

You can actually technically just ignore this entire missions gimmick by rushing a Marine Frigate with Fighter Support down the central Dust Trail and gong right for the Objective from above as long as your Fighters go ahead to blast the Platforms.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Y'all just failed to grasp the all-encompassing magnificence of my poem.
Phillistines.

propatriamori
Feb 13, 2012

there can be no peace until everyone is safe
Karan S'Jet has been troubled ever since The Pride of Hiigara made for open space. She's forgotten something. But what?

The keys are right here. The spaceship is on. It can't be her keys.

The hyperspace core is installed and operational. They've jumped several times. It works great.

The engines work this time. That's really cool. She makes vroom vroom noises, alone in her tank, where Fleet Intelligence can't hear.

But what has she--oh. OH gently caress. Her face flushes crimson.

"Ion cannon frigates are available for construction" she blurts onto the fleet comm line.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
Well, those last couple of lines for that mission just spell out something SPECIAL in out future, don't they. You would think that Karan S'jet would be smarter than to immediately hyperspace jump after detecting an anomaly in the Hyperspace Core, wouldn't you. What the gently caress is she even thinking?

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Ashsaber posted:

Well, those last couple of lines for that mission just spell out something SPECIAL in out future, don't they. You would think that Karan S'jet would be smarter than to immediately hyperspace jump after detecting an anomaly in the Hyperspace Core, wouldn't you. What the gently caress is she even thinking?

You'll actually find out next mission but: the Oracle hijacked the Hyperspace Core and is taking them to a certain location. It was "foreshadowed" by her comment about an irregularity in the Core.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

E: I guess it's a spoiler.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

It's a little weird not being able to build ships the rest of Hiigara is apparently using.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

It's a little weird not being able to build ships the rest of Hiigara is apparently using.

Well, that's loosely explained in that they're still bringing the construction facilities online. They get the equipment needed to build one type of ship ready and then move on to the next.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

berryjon posted:

And so the Oracle left the entire strike craft fleet behind.

I forget is it ever explained what the Oracle is?

• Locked thread