Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Travic posted:

I forget is it ever explained what the Oracle is?

A plot device.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

propatriamori
Feb 13, 2012

there can be no peace until everyone is safe
Something so eminently Oracular that a team of Hiigaran marines can kick down the door on an asteroid archaeological dig and abscond with it in the space of a cutscene, but so mundane that teams of space archaeologists searching for it on the orders of a space tyrant didn't know they'd already found it.

The abrupt mission endings are another thing that frustrates me about the game. The post-mission HYPERSPACE button is a little thing, but it's agency for the player. Taking that away makes the whole thing feel so much more obviously railroaded, even if that hasn't changed that much--it's not like Homeworld had branching missions like Wing Commander.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.

propatriamori posted:

The abrupt mission endings are another thing that frustrates me about the game. The post-mission HYPERSPACE button is a little thing, but it's agency for the player. Taking that away makes the whole thing feel so much more obviously railroaded, even if that hasn't changed that much--it's not like Homeworld had branching missions like Wing Commander.

No, the worst part is that you are never given a chance to organize and rebuild the fleet at the end of the mission - which is usually after a major battle.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

berryjon posted:

No, the worst part is that you are never given a chance to organize and rebuild the fleet at the end of the mission - which is usually after a major battle.

They usually give you some time to do so at the beginning of the next mission. Not always, though.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
"OH SURE LETS JUST PLUG THIS WACKY DOOHICKY INTO THE CORE AND SEE WHAT HAPPENS! OH NO IT WAS A BAD THING THAT HAPPENED!!!!"

Come on, at least Somtaaw made an ATTEMPT at quarantining the drat beacon, it wasn't their fault it was something that negated usual quarantine procedure. This is just picking up the random space thing and putting it dead center on the bridge and asking it if it would like coffee or tea with complete control of the mothership's systems.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

PurpleXVI posted:

"OH SURE LETS JUST PLUG THIS WACKY DOOHICKY INTO THE CORE AND SEE WHAT HAPPENS! OH NO IT WAS A BAD THING THAT HAPPENED!!!!"

Come on, at least Somtaaw made an ATTEMPT at quarantining the drat beacon, it wasn't their fault it was something that negated usual quarantine procedure. This is just picking up the random space thing and putting it dead center on the bridge and asking it if it would like coffee or tea with complete control of the mothership's systems.

This is also a setting that has proven, over and over again, that you need to be really loving careful with picking up random space things because they are super dangerous.

propatriamori
Feb 13, 2012

Night10194 posted:

This is also a setting that has proven, over and over again, that you need to be really loving careful with picking up random space things because they are super dangerous.

But the Bentusi said it was legit.

...what happened to all the Bentusi again?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Wow, even with that giant fleet you have such a small footprint jumping out. I guess frigates dock with something too?

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Have they ever given rough estimates of what the crew sizes for various ship classes are? Like how does a corvette compare to a frigate? Visual scale is obviously not particularly reliable for estimates.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Glazius posted:

Wow, even with that giant fleet you have such a small footprint jumping out. I guess frigates dock with something too?

They don't re-enter formation there, he just never moved the mobile refinery.

IthilionTheBrave
Sep 5, 2013

chumbler posted:

Have they ever given rough estimates of what the crew sizes for various ship classes are? Like how does a corvette compare to a frigate? Visual scale is obviously not particularly reliable for estimates.

Personally, I'd imagine it's something like a modern tank crew for corvettes. Commander, pilot, gunner(s), maybe a couple of engineers? Fighters are probably one or two-seater affairs. I think Frigates are probably stepping into several dozen people, maybe even approaching hundred(s)? Mostly engineering/maintenance crew plus some extra people for rotating shifts since they have a lot more independent operational capabilities compared to strike craft. Probably gets exponentially higher with destroyers, carriers, and battlecruisers.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Couple of dozen on a frigate, about 50 on a Heavy Cruiser. That's from the HW1 manual.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby

Dabir posted:

Couple of dozen on a frigate, about 50 on a Heavy Cruiser. That's from the HW1 manual.

Only 50? That's surprising. I figured there'd be at least tiwce that on a Destroyer, and twice again on a Heavy Cruiser.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

The Casualty posted:

Only 50? That's surprising. I figured there'd be at least tiwce that on a Destroyer, and twice again on a Heavy Cruiser.

Presumably automation is a very big thing in the Homeworld universe. I could certainly buy Fleet Intelligence in this game being an AI for all the emotion he's shown so far.

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

They say that he who dies with the most Opil wins.

I am winning.

Dabir posted:

Where does it say this in the HW1 manual? I'm looking at the ship specs in the manual and I'm not seeing it.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Sorry guys, no update this week. Had too much on my plate.

And it's not because the next mission is a slog with multiple in-mission timers.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

nweismuller posted:

Where does it say this in the HW1 manual? I'm looking at the ship specs in the manual and I'm not seeing it.

Homeworld Shipyards says 150 crew for the old heavy cruiser, but it doesn't list a source.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

150 then, that's what I was thinking of. Easy mistake to make.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
Well you see the crew requirements would be even higher, except once you connect a Capsuleer into the ship they handle most of the ship's functions.

I'll see myself out.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

Dabir posted:

150 then, that's what I was thinking of. Easy mistake to make.

Yeah, no problem, I wasn't calling you out. I was giving the only confirmed crew number that I could find. I agree though that the Homeworld documentation doesn't really have exact numbers other than this one so they leave it up to your imagination. Also, if modern nuclear aircraft carriers have complements of 3000 to run their operations, imagine how much automation is being used in a HW1 carrier to limit the crew to 150 or less.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Rick_Hunter posted:

Yeah, no problem, I wasn't calling you out. I was giving the only confirmed crew number that I could find. I agree though that the Homeworld documentation doesn't really have exact numbers other than this one so they leave it up to your imagination. Also, if modern nuclear aircraft carriers have complements of 3000 to run their operations, imagine how much automation is being used in a HW1 carrier to limit the crew to 150 or less.

And in that HW2 'plot' someone posted from the guide it's apparently common to plug yourself in to the ship now, so there's even more of it.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Rick_Hunter posted:

I remember where I got the number for frigates now, I'm pretty sure the story in Cataclysm's manual about the guy who was the last of his Kiith and decided to go bounty hunting in a frigate mentions that the crew was about 25.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!

Dabir posted:

I remember where I got the number for frigates now, I'm pretty sure the story in Cataclysm's manual about the guy who was the last of his Kiith and decided to go bounty hunting in a frigate mentions that the crew was about 25.

Nope, but some of crew numbers mentioned -
Mothership - 8000
Kuun Lan 1150 (with 2000 reserve on deep space missions)
Strike craft and corvettes - 1 to 3
Ramming Frigate - 5

berryjon
May 30, 2011

To make up for missing Monday, I'll have two videos for you guys next Monday! Missions 6 and 7 represent the first two-thirds of a mini-arc which shows off one of the ways in which the game fell short its design goals.

That, and I had to chop an 8.5 minute section out of mission 06 due to it being a boring battle.

propatriamori
Feb 13, 2012

berryjon posted:

To make up for missing Monday, I'll have two videos for you guys next Monday! Missions 6 and 7 represent the first two-thirds of a mini-arc which shows off one of the ways in which the game fell short its design goals.

That, and I had to chop an 8.5 minute section out of mission 06 due to it being a boring battle.

Based on some of the Cataclysm video, I sort of wish you'd time-lapse over boring parts instead of jump cuts. The cuts can be so jarring.

But I don't do video of any sort at all, so I dunno.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

propatriamori posted:

Based on some of the Cataclysm video, I sort of wish you'd time-lapse over boring parts instead of jump cuts. The cuts can be so jarring.

But I don't do video of any sort at all, so I dunno.

I have actual transitions this time! Honest!

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

berryjon posted:

Overlay "Hull Breach, Hull Breach :smith:" or other lines onto the transitions, or they don't count. :colbert:

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Slaan posted:

Overlay "Hull Breach, Hull Breach :smith:" or other lines onto the transitions, or they don't count. :colbert:

Too late for mission 06. I might try for that on mission 07....

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

berryjon posted:

"Jump cuts?!?!? Jarring?!!?! I'll show them!"

*cackles as he slowly moves the cursor toward "star wipe"*

berryjon
May 30, 2011

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

"Jump cuts?!?!? Jarring?!!?! I'll show them!"

*cackles as he slowly moves the cursor toward "star wipe"*

What do you think I use? Windows Movie maker??

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
Every video editor worth it's price comes with star wipe transitions.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Because I skipped last week, here is two videos to catch you up.

So, there's not much to say as these are more set-piece battles than anything else. Also, let me know which transition you like better - dissolve cut or x16 acceleration.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

x16 acceleration would be much better with Benny Hill music. Otherwise, jump cuts are better.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
I agree with Disco Infiva, X16 acceleration with appropriate music is best, but otherwise, jump cuts.

Also I love that there's really no sense of WONDER, just "oh hey we reverse engineered a progenitor ship I guess we can build them now." If this was Cataclysm you'd feel some sort of... impact from hijacking the advanced tech of a long-lost species. Hell, apparently they're still AI controlled, why aren't we turning half the fleet over to AI controls so we're not risking our limited number of pilots? Why aren't we jacking Mover weaponry for our Strike Craft?

Destroyers seem kind of pointless, if they're made to fight Frigates, a ship that already seems terminally fragile. Kind of a shame, though, because their design is cool, even if it seems more Vaygr than Hiigaran.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Benny Hill would only work if you could move the Mothership there and back to go with it.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

You know what would have made the Destroyers awesome, even forgiving their specialty?

If a couple of those Kinetic weapons were actually Ion weapons. A split of 2 Ion turrets, 2 Kinetic Turrets and a Missile launcher would be great, and certainly better than what we got.

This game, it seems, has a serious aversion to the joyous beams of death. And I have a couple ideas, but now is not the moment to talk about them.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

quote:

It's worth pointing out that the number of Keepers that spawn at the start
Oops.

E: Actually you called them Keepers almost every time.

Dabir fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Jun 1, 2015

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Dabir posted:

Oops.

E: Actually you called them Keepers almost every time.

SON

OF

A

BITCH.

And I even caught myself a few times doing that!

It's just that 'Keeper' has stuck with me far longer than 'mover'.

I'll apologize next video.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

quote:

If this was Cataclysm you'd feel some sort of... impact from hijacking the advanced tech of a long-lost species.

No, Fleet Intel would just say they put a dozen mover guns on a frigate, go nuts.

quote:

If a couple of those Kinetic weapons were actually Ion weapons. A split of 2 Ion turrets, 2 Kinetic Turrets and a Missile launcher would be great, and certainly better than what we got.

Both races Destroyers are boring and I don't like them. The Hiigaran one with its broadsides is almost cool but it only has like three or four turrets for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sel Nar
Dec 19, 2013

On the one hand, I could go on forever on the flaws of Homeworld 2, with little ones like 'Everything is overspecialized', 'The plot's a hot steamy poo poo on everything that came before', and 'The scaling still a steaming pile when you tend to average 3.5 to 1 odds against on a routine mission'

On the other hand, the in-game atmosphere on mission six is probably the first proper bit of decent atmosphere-building in the entire game, as it does its best to set the stage of creeping through the shattered ruins of an ancient mothership. There's always been something interesting about the concept of poking around in a Derelict, be it for exploration, or horror, or some fusion of the concepts, and mission six does at least try to get that across.

(Also, as Berry commented; the further you go in each of this set of missions, the closer you get to that fuckhuge megalith in the background)

• Locked thread