Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

If I say nothing else good about Homeworld 2, I will say that as an opening to a war story missions 1 and 2 and their cutscenes/music are fantastic and really got me hyped for the rest of the game. At that point I was only doing a little bit of a :crossarms: at the hyperdrive MacGuffin plot and was willing to see where it went, and the troublesome mechanics only really rear their ugly heads in, as mentioned, in mission 3 onward.

I'm also interested in seeing how someone else handles the later missions because I only ever really knew 1 way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Is it just me or does it seem to anyone else like some of the ship captains have crossed from "cool professionalism" to "falling asleep at your station?"

For a named character, Soban is certainly very bored. Also his fleet sucks.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I don't think mission 3 is actually all that bad since you still aren't facing a tremendous amount of bullshit, just mechanics that seem kind of weird the first time through. Plus you can trivialize mission 3 by moving the mothership (it moves now!) to the shipyard and pumping out marine frigates. Mission 4 though, that's where things go way out of wack.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Jimmy4400nav posted:

Sooooooooooo, I've gotta ask, the Harbor Ship is called the last of the Bentusi.....What exactly happened to everyone else? I know some left the galaxy, but there seemed to be plenty left in the galaxy, and they seemed to be pretty on top of their form in terms of power.

Buy the strategy guide to find out!

I actually never read it myself but I think I read somewhere that Makaan and the Vagyr hunted them down because apparently they can do that.

AltaBrown posted:

Y'all are not making me want to follow this lp. It's sounding like I should just cherish the memories of the first two games, and pretend HW2 never happened.

Stay for the visual and sound design at the very least.

Torrannor posted:

The game's story is perfectly fine, it's just science-fantasy now instead of straight up science-fiction. I think a lot of the people in the thread are overreacting. It's mainly the gameplay that's much weaker than it was in HW1 and HW:Cataclysm.

It's a combination of some bad gameplay design and weird/unnecessary/dumb retcons that don't add a single thing, even to the story that was presented.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Man, I don't know if I just built a lot more ships before I left mission 3 but I remember there being... something defending the command station. Not to mention the ship defending the location the hyperspace gates lead to. Maybe its because I usually take 2 or 3 times as long as a normal person to finish RTS level.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Xenoborg posted:

It looked like the Destroyer's turrets were actually able to hit strike craft though.

I think that's a result of the dice rolls combined with the number of bullets the destroyer (and other, larger turrets) can put out combined with that they'll only need one to kill a fighter. Put out enough bullets and the RNG will score enough hits, especially if the fighters in question are charging straight at the ship in question and it can fire as fast as the game allows.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I think Battlecruisers have some invisible pulsar cannon turrets to kill corvettes as well. Frigates may be poorly balanced, destroyers may lack ion cannons, but the H. Battlecruiser is one of my favorite ships. Giving it a place to repair strike craft is pretty ridiculous too.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Sel Nar posted:

It's also stated in the Cataclysm manual that the Turanic Raiders use liquid-filled cockpits and heavy pressure-suits as they are not an oxygen-breathing species.

Yeah, but that's the Cataclysm manual.

I like pretty much all of Relic's stuff and if Homeworld 2 was better than I might put more stock in their opinions on Cataclysm but since HW2 is currently still HW2 I'm going to go ahead and say that if a lack of "restraint" is Cataclysm's problem then maybe HW2 should have loosened up a bit too. Fleet Command yelling at the Bentusi to stop being such wussies, and having them listen, might indeed be getting into fan fiction territory but one of the biggest difference between actual writing and fan fiction is properly earning those moments. Cataclysm earned pretty much all of them.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

nine-gear crow posted:

The funny thing about the final mission in Homeworld Remastered is that Gearbox left the "Bring Sajuuk to bear!" audio bug intact. When they brought back the original Fleet Intel voice actor, they had him say the line three times too. Nor did they fix it in Homeworld 2 Classic.

Though knowing Gearbox they probably left it in intentionally just because it was one of the one really memetic part of the game that people remembered. Like how Guerrilla Games left in the spastic leg twiticing on ragdoll corpses in the Killzone 1 HD remaster just because it was such an iconic bug.

Since when was that a bug? Is it three different readings of a single line that was shoved in as a single audio file without checking or something? I always thought it was the Homeworld equivalent of Lucas having Vader go "Nooooooooooo!" Something that sounded good in one person's head but then when everyone else saw it literally no one else thought so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

nine-gear crow posted:

Well done berryjon.

Let's hope this proves true sooner than later and Shipbreakers isn't actually just a piece of IP-retaining vaporware.

It's not done by Gearbox so it won't be the first part of that at least. Still could be just plain vaporware though since it started life (didn't get past the "buy in beta" stage) as a free to play RTS and then the developers and Gearbox got together after the IP was sold to make it a more traditional game. But given the state of the Remastered release, which I wouldn't describe as "bad" so much as "preliminary," I suspect it could be a pretty long time before anything out of Shipbreakers comes along.

And thanks for the LP's, berryjon.

• Locked thread