Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
And it is finally here. Sajuuk have mercy on us all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Most of the commotion is about the stupid story and that would remain the same. Anyway, since the video implies they could not even be bothered to fix frigate armor and AI fleet scaling in the remaster, there does not seem to be much point in it unless you really want those super shiny graphics.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Mediocre? Mediocre is this game being good.
The story will get offensive.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Fluffy Tail posted:

Is it bad that I really hope Sajuuk is actually the Beast.
You wish.
edit: Christ, I forgot about that one. How does it feel to know that He is actually a captain in Higaaran fleet?

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 10:09 on May 4, 2015

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Ceebees posted:

I know it's largely irrelevant, but i accidentally turned out youtube's automatic captions when playing the latest one, and it was instantaneously magical.

This is brilliant, especially since Sajuuk is closely related to arguably the biggest "gently caress you" of the game.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I freely admit I wouldn't mind seeing the Pride of Hiigara do a barrel roll.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

THE BAR posted:

And red and yellow's rarely the good guys' colouring scheme, is it?
A very nice thing about the HW1 campaign is that you can actually make your own color scheme.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Once we knew the vast
Desolation between stars
gently caress you too, Relic

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Y'all just failed to grasp the all-encompassing magnificence of my poem.
Phillistines.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Benny Hill would only work if you could move the Mothership there and back to go with it.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
The music would be amazing if you weren't constantly reminded that you're living through Generic Fantasy Plot 101 But In Space. Takes away a lot of the pathos.
Oh, and then you remember Sajuuk.

edit: Also, the cutscene that plays very strongly suggests it should go like "Transmitting Progenitor language, it is an automatic broadcast: Please hold the line, one of our employees will attend to your obliteration in a minute."

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Jun 8, 2015

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Sel Nar posted:

Pretty much my opinion. The art's amazing, and full of 'small' details that makes you want to explore the HW universe as much as possible; the trail of the ruined megalith, and even the scattered ruin of the Progenitor mothership really does offer a sense of that which came before. The issue is that, because the game is basically 'poke the plot point', you miss out on the mystique and sense of existential dread that pervaded a large part of HW1 and even Cataclysm; 'Here be dragons' has been replaced with 'As the good book says', and the game comes off weaker for it

I'd play the absolute hell out of a Freelancer/X type game set in HW-verse. Preferably pre-HW2 with playable Somtaaw.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

berryjon posted:

And soon you'll see what you missed!
Seriously. The by far stupidest reveal is yet to come.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Well, they had this idea that the story is supposed to end in a breakneck pace which could probably work if said story was engaging in any way, but alas. So yeah, we're near the end. Don't worry, plenty more stupidity is on the way.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

AJ_Impy posted:

I would play the hell out of a "Kiith Somtaaw does Homeworld 2 right" mod.
Considering the displayed competence of everyone involved, that mod would consist of one very short mission where you foil a half-assed assault on Hiigara.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Captain Bravo posted:

HW:2 is about dealing with the true danger of the universe. The hyperspace cores are stupid plot elements, but they're plot elements that provide a means for a species that only controls one planet to protect itself against galatic threats. The reason Higaara is left behind isn't because the Vagyr would crush us, it's because Higaarans have moved beyond their homeworld, and need a solution that extends further than just beyond one planet. Not a solution to the Vagyr problem a solution to the problem of the universe itself. Turanic Raiders, Tadeshi, The Beast, Vagyr, Keepers, etc. You can't just barricade yourself inside your solar system and defeat all comers, some method of force project is needed to ensure safety and stability. If HW1 is finding home, and HW:C is defending your home, then HW2 is about leaving home.
This doesn't work for the simple reason that HW2 kills any mystery the universe has left. HW1 galaxy was a scary place full of unknown dangers and hostile races that still operate in somewhat human manner. Cataclysm brings in a really alien horror - but all we get for HW2 is progenitor mumbo jumbo. Those giant wrecks? Progenitor ships. Everything that doesn't belong to a race we already know? Progenitors. And they're presented in the most boring way possible, as a trail of macguffins.
HW2 isn't about finding a solution (because let's face it, the solution is war - "defending your planet from threats" is what most civilizations settle for), and it sure as hell isn't about hostile universe or true danger of it (what true danger, stupidity?). Bentusi are presented as bumbling idiots, Vaygr were never a credible threat (or at least stopped being the moment we got our hands on the first progenitor gizmo - the planet's fine, folks, let's have a scavenger hunt) and everything else is reduced to progenitor fallout. There is no tension, there's no drama, there's no mystery in the entirety of HW2 and that's (IMO) its biggest crime - all the wonder and awe and terror of the (insufficiently) empty void of the space are gone, replaced by the plot of a bad fantasy novel. The one somewhat interesting reveal - Sajuuk - manages to hold that title just because of its overwhelming stupidity, everything else is just completely loving bland.

But it's pretty.

e: Sorry if I get emotional but I really dislike this game.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Jul 9, 2015

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Something about bananas?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Spoiler: it doesn't get better.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Here it is, folks, the point where the game turns from generically stupid to Idiots In Space. WE HAD THE loving WAR WON.
That being said, the religion of Hiigarans being pretty much a cargo cult is so much in character it isn't even funny.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Aug 3, 2015

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I keep saying it's a cargo cult; the crew of The Great Maker traded some basic tech to ancient Hiigarans who were so stoked with it they started worshipping them. Hell, Sajuuk is probably a brand of cheap beer or something.

Torrannor posted:

Let's talk about the large failure of logic in berryjon's opening statement:
1. None of the Hiigarans knew that they could just have walked away from the Balcora Gate to trap Makaan in there. So it's not the writing's fault that they didn't act with the benefit of hindsight, since that's impossible outside of time-traveling stories.
Nope. The prophecy outright stated all three cores are needed; Makaan (who isn't exactly the sharpest tool in the shed) hosed that one up pretty badly. One would think he'd remember the prophecies he's trying to fulfill but, well, this whole thing is a comedy of errors...

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Someone's mentioned how one of the game's good parts are interesting-looking ship designs: what the gently caress. Every single capital looks like you could put it sideways and use as a gun. loving Sajuuk looks like an overweight tuning fork.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Great job.
gently caress Homeworld 2.

• Locked thread