Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Fellow Reform Jew (if you can even call me that) checking in. What makes the Satmar Ultra-Orthodox sect unique? If you go south of Broadway in Williamsburg, you end up in a big Satmar neighborhood. It's like walking into Bizarro Williamsburg- there's nothing to do, the people are dressed the same, and everything is so dead. At least the Lubavitcher section of Crown Heights is lively, even though it's also creepy in its own way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

The best place in the world to live in if you're Jewish is America, if you ask me. We're the most loved religious group here, with almost 70% approval. Yeah, I'm sure a decent amount of that support is from evangelical Christians who think Israel needs to stand strong until the perfectly red calf is born to herald the Rapture, after which all the Jews and other non-believers will be purged to make way for the second coming... but hey, I'll take it. (everything I said in that last sentence is actual evangelical nutjob belief, by the way) Our immigration system is more restrictive, but if you're Jewish and you can get here, take that poo poo.

Regarding Israel- I'll just say that the government is total poo poo. What we're seeing there now is the end result of any state that says they speak for a religion. I'll just leave it at that and won't elaborate further because it will devolve into bad things.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

What are some funny and/or cool things people here have said to Lubavitchers to get them to go away? I live not too far from their headquarters in Crown Heights and I don't always have a snappy remark at the ready. Nothing mean, please- as far as ultra-Orthodox Jews go, they're not bad. The other day, I told a couple of them "don't talk to me please" and they just smiled and said "have a nice day." I guess they're used to it.

I used to walk through their part of the neighborhood to get to my now-ex's place. At first I was afraid I'd get mobbed by questions because I wasn't wearing the proper ultra-Orthodox attire, but I can count on one hand the amount of times I was asked if I was Jewish. Why are they not as aggressive in their own turf?

Not a Children posted:

Judaism, as a rule, is not compatible with atheism.
David Cross had a good stand-up bit about this. He said he just had a bar mitzvah because it meant getting paid, but otherwise he has no use for religion. But when he asked a rabbi about how he thinks he's not Jewish, his response was, "You say that now... but was your mother's vagina Jewish?" As David put it, he got beaten on a technicality.

• Locked thread