Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Enophos posted:

I will say up front that this is a subject that I cannot be unbiased about.

I think that this hatred is an accident of history. When the Roman Empire converted to Christianity, they had to find a scapegoat for the story of the death of Jesus in the New Testament and ascribed it to the Jews since the Romans themselves were the ones who were written to have crucified him.

In medieval Europe the Jewish people were a way to get loans, since usury was forbidden to Christians, getting loans from Jews was not considered immoral. No one likes owing money, so it was easy to vilify the Jews when governments and prominent people found themselves in debt.

The term “Chosen People” raises a lot of hackles and suggests that Jews believe they are the “best” of all people. However this term (in my understanding - note that most of the Book of Genesis chronicles people before the covenant of Abraham) only means that Jews were "Chosen" to have a specific covenant and must obey certain rules – not that they are better than anyone else.

Jews have also been a distinct and visible minority throughout history and easy to single out. When problems in countries arose, it could be easily blamed on the Jews causing "divine wrath" due to their lack of belief in the dominant religion.

Lastly, the creation of the modern state of Israel has raised tensions in many places against Judaism. Modern Israel was created following the Shoah of World War II - its creation is a product of this war and this time in history.

Thank you. That's one of the more succinct explanation for anti-semitism I've ever seen.

That said, as a reform Jew, do you feel like you have to keep Kosher?

thrakkorzog fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Apr 22, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

rock rock posted:

Do any jews still make sacrifices? Like killing a sheep for god type dealio. If not when and why did it stop?

I'm a bit rusty on my history, but I'm pretty sure Jews haven't made sacrifices since the destruction of the second temple in 70 AD. The Jews stopped doing sacrifices because the Romans burned down the temple, and so there was no real official place to do sacrifices.

I will admit that that I am glossing over a ton of details, and I'm not familiar with Jewish teachings, regarding the Diaspora, I'm just kind of a history nerd.

I also grew up with some people who think that Israel should totally go build a third temple in order to help kick start the Apocalypse. So I admit I might be a bit off in my historical analysis.

thrakkorzog fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Apr 23, 2015

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Viola the Mad posted:

Hey Enophos, do you mind if I pitch in? I'm a Conservative Jew with a Jewish education. If it helps, I can probably answer some questions about Zionism, since I'm a history buff.

As a fellow history buff, what is your opinion on Josephus's description of the Jewish War?

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Enophos posted:

While this was not directed at me, I would say that Josephus was clearly beholden to his Roman masters and his description of the (First) Jewish War and Jewish history have to be understood in the context that he was trying to make the Emperor Vespasian and Rome as a whole look good for his patronage and livelihood. If you take note of this and read him critically, I believe he is a reliable source.

Fair enough, I just like asking people who claim some sort of knowledge about biblical times what they think about Josephus. He's just the right mix of well known to historians and obscure to everybody else. For all of Josephus's faults, he was one of the few people who bothered to write about the politics of Israel circa 30 A.D.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

bigtom posted:

I'm a Reform Jew, and I agree America is tops for us - but not the rural south (or rural anywhere). Moved from NJ to Eastern Carolina for a job and I hear things in passing like "he/she tried to jew me down on the price" more often than I would like (Dad's side of the family is Irish, so I fly under the radar) as well as "you're the first Jew I've ever met...you seem so normal.." Even some of my family on my dad's side would make comments every now and again about how I'm not a "real Jew," as if the bar mitzvah wasn't enough.

Oh, and chopped liver is popular amongst Jews & Goyim in the tri state, or at least the ones I know. My girlfriend down here always makes sure to get chopped liver on rye whenever we go to NJ and hit up a diner, as well as matzah ball soup. My grandmother on my moms side makes turkey stuffing with chicken livers for me every year on Thanksgiving, and I love it.

You're mistake was going to the Carolinas, where they're all about serving up pork. You should have gone to Texas, where it is all about a good brisket. And Anti-semitism is a bit above my paygrade.

thrakkorzog fucked around with this message at 09:12 on May 29, 2015

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Sobieski posted:

Why are jews, and have historically been, prominent and overrepresented advocates of modern social movements? Feminism, LGBHTQT(whatever), immigration, and so on

Because Jews have historically been treated as second class citizens, so they empathize and advocate for other second class citizens. The Jewish Freedom Riders had some brass balls.

thrakkorzog fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Jun 28, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

A Strange Aeon posted:

I know almost nothing about Jewish mythology. Can anyone tell me about golems and the dozen righteous men who exist at any one time who convince the creator to not destroy the world? And Lilith and any other Old Testament apocrypha, which I'm assuming is Jewish in origin?

Most apocrypha is Christian/Gnostic in origins.

Lilith is straight up apocrypha and non-canonical in both the Christian and Jewish traditions. If you want to set up a musical festival or start a White Wolf campaign around Lilith then go for it.

Nobody outside some confused Wiccans and chicks who haven't shaved their legs in the past 20 years, but I repeat myself, think Lilith is actually a thing.

thrakkorzog fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Oct 6, 2015

• Locked thread