Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SeaWolf
Mar 7, 2008

Baron Porkface posted:

Why the importance of building the temple in the same location? Why not either/also rebuild the temple at Shiloh?

The most important reason being that the Temple Mount is supposed to be the place where God manifests his divinity to the world more than any other place. So with the Temple there, it becomes his dwelling place. God is kind of like Sheldon from Big Bang because he REALLY likes his spot.
But additionally, it is supposed to be the location at which all creation started from and the world was expanded from that spot. God made Adam with the earth from that spot according to tradition as well. Abraham is supposed to have prepared to sacrifice Issac on this spot too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeaWolf
Mar 7, 2008

Green_Machine posted:

So what's the "official" word on non-Jews participating alongside Jews in worship and other religious activities? I have a number of Jewish friends and they invite me along for naming ceremonies, holidays, etc... both those are more like special occasions. If I just show up for Shabbat services every Saturday week after week, Torah study, and other events, is a Rabbi eventually going to be like "This is weird, why do you keep coming here? Our services are really for Jews only." Is it possible to participate long-term as an unofficial Jew? I'm talking Reform here. I'm not hung up on labels, but I enjoy the services and community.

Judaism very much believes that anyone who shows interest in Judaism, Jew or non-Jew, then they should be welcomed with open arms and treated with the same respect as anyone else. But when it comes to things during services such as specific blessings or prayers such as reading the Torah non-Jews would generally be prohibited because the prayers are thanking God specifically for choosing Jews to receive his blessing and Torah and it would not be appropriate for someone outside Judaism to include themselves as "us" in prayer. This can be an issue with inter-faith couples whose child is bar or bat mitzvah, but at least in reform communities the rabbi will figure out ways to allow both parents to participate in a very meaningful way without stepping on traditional toes.

I can't speak for less progressive communities, but it's definitely not quite as inclusive.

SeaWolf
Mar 7, 2008

JcDent posted:

Sounds like a blast... well, when we Christians and Muslims aren't trying to burn your lot down.

Also, female rabbis? First time I've heard of it.

My rabbi growing up was female. Aside from her looooooong and meandering sermons, she was an absolute blast to discuss theology with and was one of the reasons why I was one of only a few who continued religious education after becoming bar mitzvah

SeaWolf
Mar 7, 2008

JcDent posted:

Great power, great responsibility and all that, but yarmulke instead of a cape.

Some of those talit can get pretty cape like! Now you know what we're doing when we're not prayin...

SeaWolf
Mar 7, 2008

Tendai posted:

Is there any out and out violent conflict between Ashkenazi and Sephardi groups or is everyone generally fairly chill even if they do look down on one group or the other? Like as a Muslim (and even just as someone who knows about history) I know that poo poo between the Sunni and Shi'a has gotten nasty at times and ISIS has more or less murdered Shi'a for being Shi'a.

Sephardim and Ashkenazim isn't like the difference between Shi'a and Sunni which is a religious distinction within Islam.
It's more of an ethno-geographic distinction, Sephardim being people's from the Iberian peninsula and North Africa, and Ashkenazim from Europe. The differences are mostly traditions, and customs as opposed to religious differences. No one hates the other really and plenty of Sephardim and Ashkenazim intermarry.

The closest "comparison" that would be similar to Shi'a/Sunni would be that between Judaism and Samaritanism. But even that's not really a great comparison.

• Locked thread