Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Haledjian
May 29, 2008

YOU CAN'T MOVE WITH ME IN THIS DIGITAL SPACE

Animal-Mother posted:

Do you consider yourself a "minority?" It seems to me that Jews are one of the smallest and most persecuted minorities in the world, but it doesn't seem like people generally are including Jews when they talk about minorities.

Short answer is yes, but what that entails is pretty disputed. I know Jewish people who think no Jews (converts notwithstanding) are racially white, even if they look like it, and Jewish people who get angry at the suggestion that "Jewish" is anything other than a religion (usually due to the association of Jewish racialization with the Holocaust). But Jews are definitely an ethnic and religious minority, racially all over the map and often toe the line (e.g. Jeff Goldblum).

Interestingly Jews' Middle Eastern origins tend to be either played up by right-wing racists who want to exise them from society, or played down by left-wingers who want to villainize them as overly privileged. So they get you coming and going.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

Enophos posted:

Traditionally there are three types of Mitzvah (singular Mitzvot)

Enophos posted:

This Mitzvot

Mitzvah is singular, mitzvot is plural :goonsay:

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

Tendai posted:

Is there any out and out violent conflict between Ashkenazi and Sephardi groups or is everyone generally fairly chill even if they do look down on one group or the other? Like as a Muslim (and even just as someone who knows about history) I know that poo poo between the Sunni and Shi'a has gotten nasty at times and ISIS has more or less murdered Shi'a for being Shi'a.

For practicing and non-practicing Jews, have you been to Israel and if so what was it like for you personally? Like in the Islam thread I and others have mentioned what people have said about the community feeling of Hajj and how it's so amazing to be around so many Muslims especially if you're from a non-Muslim-dominant place like the US or Europe. Was it the same thing? Was it more than you thought/less than you thought? I'm really curious about this as none of the people I know personally who are Jewish by religion/history have been to Israel.

To expand on SeaWolf's answer--it can get a little muddled because typically "Sephardi" refers to Spanish/North African Jews and "Mizrahi" to Middle Eastern Jews, but in Israel "Sephardi" is often used to refer to anyone who's not Ashkenazi (including Mizrahim). Early Ashkenazi settlers in Israel definitely imported a fair amount of cultural prejudice and there are lasting effects today--Mizrahi Jews tend to occupy lower economic strata and are less represented at high levels of government--but they're diminishing fairly rapidly. And like SeaWolf said there's a lot of intermarriage. Outside of Israel I think it's less of an issue.

Here's a good video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qm2h5P7LPgE

Haledjian fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Oct 2, 2015

• Locked thread