Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gnomewife
Oct 24, 2010
This reminds me, what's the deal with Dinah in Judaism? The translations I've read (which are coming out of Christian traditions) don't actually indicate that she was raped, but that's how Christians usually spin it. Is that something we've gotten from Jewish tradition?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gnomewife
Oct 24, 2010

Jewcoon posted:

e:

I just checked an online chumash with translation that chabad has, and welp, it pretty clearly looks like rape.

Pretty rapey.

Yep, that there is a rape. Thank you for the quick response.

gnomewife
Oct 24, 2010

Jewcoon posted:

Basically it comes from there being the written and the oral Torah. The written Torah is what most people know, but the oral Torah is considered just as important. The oral Torah is like case law for the legislation that is the written Torah. So from don't cook a kid in its mother's milk, you get a whole bunch of things about how you're supposed to respect an animals life, and eating meat (dead animal) at the same time as milk (life giving substance) is disrespectful, and you shouldn't combine them in a meal. Kashrut also has a ton more laws to it regarding what you can and can't eat and how to properly cleanse eating materials. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kashrut

A few of my friends observe some Jewish customs along with their Christianity, and I've never really felt any need for them. This really makes sense to me, though, and I thank you for sharing it.

• Locked thread