Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

Last Buffalo posted:

For a majority of European history, Jews in any city or town lived in a ghetto, where they were segregated and lived by practicing niche trades and crafts.
There, the distinctions in lifestyle and dress were more distinct.

Jews (along with other unwanted people) were invited to settle in Lithuania back in the middle ages, I guess as an influx of culture and learning. When Lithuania and Poland got rolled into Russian Empire, the think that happened (I think) was that Jews were either expelled from Russia, forbidden from working land or both. Hence they settled in periphery (say Lithuania), where they started doing businesses like running inns. Most Lithuanians who weren't the Polonized bourgeois resented that, because resenting businessmen is a time honored tradition of those used by businesses. Furthermore, when the "Let's be free, again, for real, and maybe speak Lithuanian" movement started, there was anti-Jewish sentiment from some of the leading folks at the time, notably because with business so notifiably in Jewish hands (who may or may not have wanted to integrate with Lithuanians). Regrettably, that lead to some Lithuanians collaborating with Jerries in WWII. No Lithuanian SS legion, but still some went on to be what we call "žydšaudžiai" ("Jew-shooters", literally). The Nazis basically wiped out Jews in Lithuania.

Here's the huge rear end monument near the place I grew up that comemorates the Jews killed (shot) in a repurposed WWI fort:

Uh, I don't know what point I was going to make.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Haledjian posted:

Short answer is yes, but what that entails is pretty disputed. I know Jewish people who think no Jews (converts notwithstanding) are racially white, even if they look like it, and Jewish people who get angry at the suggestion that "Jewish" is anything other than a religion (usually due to the association of Jewish racialization with the Holocaust). But Jews are definitely an ethnic and religious minority, racially all over the map and often toe the line (e.g. Jeff Goldblum).

Interestingly Jews' Middle Eastern origins tend to be either played up by right-wing racists who want to exise them from society, or played down by left-wingers who want to villainize them as overly privileged. So they get you coming and going.

And then there's every Christian's favorite Jew, Jesus.

By the way, what are there some of the more mainstream Judaism... positions towards Christianity and Islam? It's sort of a muddled question, but it's the best way I can put it into words.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Last Buffalo posted:

Also, of the super rich Jews on the planet, they have a fairly broad spectrum of political alignment. What is the conspiracy? To destroy Europe?

We're destroying it ourselves, no Jewish help needed!

As for small percentages of Jews in certain countries... well, WWII happened. A lot of Lithuanian Jews were saved by this one guy Sugihara (a Japanese diplomat), but many others met their end in the ghettos and repurposed Russian forts. The Soviets weren't big on Jews, either.

Oh, and by the way: why do the, I guess, ultra-Orthodox Jews dress so heavily and in black?

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Maybe it's discouraged so that only the ones who really, really want it remained?

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Sounds like a blast... well, when we Christians and Muslims aren't trying to burn your lot down.

Also, female rabbis? First time I've heard of it.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Jewcoon posted:

Second question: the special relationship is generally seen as Jews having more responsibilities. We are expected to follow a much larger set of rules than non-Jews, and we don't really gain anything out of it. A non-Jew can get all the rewards that a Jew would get, just by being a decent person. The metaphor I've often heard used for it is that we've been chosen to stay behind and clean the blackboard after class.

Great power, great responsibility and all that, but yarmulke instead of a cape.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Somewhat related:

http://petapixel.com/2015/07/23/photographs-of-orthodox-jewish-culture-in-israel/

• Locked thread