Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!

Volkerball posted:

If Asia can come, I want Mongolian throat rapping.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=el93MIxAf-c

It would be win win if they bring their cats

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jat3nBSzhtQ

(I can't find the video that combines pallas cats and throat singing, but it is fab)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

The Biscuit posted:

Aniki posted:

Australia may be made a permanent member.

I hope not, the hosts are insufferable enough as it is. It is that bad, I stream the UK version.

Suprised that Grecce didn't win our televote. They always won the broadcasters unofficial webvote - cheap bastards.

Considering how well Guy Sebastian is apparently now doing on the charts in various European countries, it could go either way.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Why wasn't New Zealand invited if Australia were? :(

apparently they're only inviting countries that have a cooperation deal with the european broadcasting thing.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Attitude Indicator posted:

apparently they're only inviting countries that have a cooperation deal with the european broadcasting thing.

New Zealand has one. A lot of Asian countries have one.

Sadly North Korea does not, but we can hope for some Iran goodness

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

How popular is Eurovision in any of the Associate Member countries anyways? Didn't they invite Australia because it was popular there?
And doesn't Asia have they're own version of Eurovision? Would they bother to send an entry to Eurovision because of that?

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

IMO eurovision should be a eurofags internal affair. turning it into a singing competition isn't really in the spirit of the whole thing.

I mean, Korea doesn't even have a posse to hang around with. Australia has at least GB due to all the colonial Commonwealth stuff.

Still Fluxing
Feb 14, 2013

A vision. A picture in my head. A picture of this.

waitwhatno posted:

IMO eurovision should be a eurofags internal affair. turning it into a singing competition isn't really in the spirit of the whole thing.

I mean, Korea doesn't even have a posse to hang around with. Australia has at least GB due to all the colonial Commonwealth stuff.

Judging by the way the votes fell Australia's actually in Sweden's posse. Maybe they can be honorary Nordics from now on.

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

waitwhatno posted:

Half of the top 20 ethnicities as of the 2011 Australian Census reported European origin, or over 2/3rds of all Australians - and that's not counting those who simply identified themselves as "Australian". The Maltese Australian population of Australia is half of the actual population of Malta.

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe
I don't really care who is going to get invited as long as they bring something retarded to the contest and I'm not talking about finland 2015 retarded (though that was good) more like turkish manboat retarded. South Korea should be up for the task.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
It's going to be K-Pop.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

elwood posted:

I don't really care who is going to get invited as long as they bring something retarded to the contest and I'm not talking about finland 2015 retarded (though that was good) more like turkish manboat retarded. South Korea should be up for the task.

South Korea are always up for the task.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZa4yre0uEk

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Ms Boods posted:

We watched the finals live; Mr Boods can't stand this sort of thing, but I only watch live tv twice a year, and this is one of the two. I also avoid the semis as I want to be surprised/shocked/awed in the finals, although I do go back and read up on them.

My fave was Estonia's entry. Just something about the visuals and James Bond '60s sound was appealing. I shall add it to my very short list of Eurovision videos/songs that I revisit (along with Cezar, who is what I show American pals when they ask what is this Eurovision thing), and my absolute faves, Les Fatals Picards and 'L'Amour a la Francais.' I'm a fan of the Picards anyway, but French men in pink satin :allears:

I hope they don't get too gimmicky about having so many far-flung guest countries; one of the charms of Eurovision is its relentless Europeany-ness. American friends were emailing and messaging me during the show on Saturday, and they have such a completely different take on what they're seeing and how it should be judged, &c. I finally gave up answering them until Sunday (when I sat and read through this thread!) because I got tired of saying, 'Well, no, that's not actually how it's done...'

Graham Norton was fun this year, but seemed a bit more sober -- perhaps in response to being ambushed in his nest during 2014's transmission? He was delightfully snarking during the votes, though, especially his crack about it being 2015, and telecommunications have moved on from two tin cans and a piece of string (after the 3rd or 4th satellite link failure).

Agree with everything in this post.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
The Picards was the last we voted for the artist here, I remember voting for another song by a sort of famous punk band:

Faut voter pour nous (you gotta vote for us) by Les Wampas

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwsXBVjjsGM

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

EvilTaytoMan posted:

And doesn't Asia have they're own version of Eurovision?

ABU licensed Eurovision a few years ago. It seems to have had a lot of teething troubles - getting into a competition that has over 200 million live viewers world wide, surely you can see the appeal there?

As for weirdness with Australian voting, apparently their SMS voting system collapsed a few minutes in so only a tiny fraction of the votes that were entered actually counted (though they were all charged) - the most shocking thing to me was the way that they charged 55 Australian cents per entry which was about 3x the UK rate.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

australia had an actual song that you might hear on the radio, i don't think they 'get' eurovision

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Phlegmish posted:

australia had an actual song that you might hear on the radio, i don't think they 'get' eurovision

They've waited a long time to participate in Eurovision, so it was natural that they'll take it serious at first. Give them a couple years and we'll start seeing them send ridiculous entries. They've already sent DJ Havana Brown to the ABU Song Festival, which was hilariously bad, so I have hope for Australia.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Missed the broadcast. Any highlights?

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003
If Australia is invited again the "And good morning Australia!" needs to stop.
We don't give other regions a shoutout "Good evening Vienna and good night Baku!". Good evening Ireland and Good morning Vladivostok!

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
The blonde host's entire script was interjecting "Australia!" every other line, which I could understand being a little disappointing after Denmark and Sweden taking it so seriously as to not host with robots, but is actually a very high tier of hosting quality compared with other years.

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe

Rated PG-34 posted:

Missed the broadcast. Any highlights?

The sign language interpreters were the real stars of the show.

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe
https://i.imgur.com/tqtskd1.gifv

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Eurovision is a national treasure

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

zedprime posted:

The blonde host's entire script was interjecting "Australia!" every other line, which I could understand being a little disappointing after Denmark and Sweden taking it so seriously as to not host with robots, but is actually a very high tier of hosting quality compared with other years.

It's hard to top the Danish hosts pranking Graham Norton.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

ookiimarukochan posted:

ABU licensed Eurovision a few years ago. It seems to have had a lot of teething troubles - getting into a competition that has over 200 million live viewers world wide, surely you can see the appeal there?

As for weirdness with Australian voting, apparently their SMS voting system collapsed a few minutes in so only a tiny fraction of the votes that were entered actually counted (though they were all charged) - the most shocking thing to me was the way that they charged 55 Australian cents per entry which was about 3x the UK rate.

Finland charges €1, which is almost 3x the Australian rate.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

ookiimarukochan posted:

the most shocking thing to me was the way that they charged 55 Australian cents per entry which was about 3x the UK rate.

UK voting is cheap because you refuse to come into the 21st Century and support things like SMS or App voting.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
UK had app voting, but no SMS. For reasons.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

goatface posted:

UK had app voting, but no SMS. For reasons.

App is new this year then, they didn't last year.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zat posted:

Finland charges €1, which is almost 3x the Australian rate.

I think it was only €0.40 here in the netherlands

Guuse
May 11, 2009

Ms Boods posted:

He's still alive, so North Korea could send Dick Contino.

North Korea has been working feverishly at reverse engineering Scandi-pop in order to crush their imperialist neighbors.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBgMeunuviE

In other news, the televote/jury splits for the semis have been released. It turns out that Finland actually get tenth from the televote in their semi and would have made it to the final but the jury hammered them. Welp, death to juries, etc.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

Guuse posted:

North Korea has been working feverishly at reverse engineering Scandi-pop in order to crush their imperialist neighbors.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBgMeunuviE

In other news, the televote/jury splits for the semis have been released. It turns out that Finland actually get tenth from the televote in their semi and would have made it to the final but the jury hammered them. Welp, death to juries, etc.

Well, they have to work a lo harder, since their Southern capitalist brother buys it's scandipop straight from the source and re-brand two year old discarded Swedish eurovision entries and call it K-Pop. South Korea should fit right into next years eurovision.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
Y'all can watch the videos with sign language here if you wanna make more GIFs

http://songcontest.orf.at/stories/2712443/

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe

Zwille posted:

Y'all can watch the videos with sign language here if you wanna make more GIFs

http://songcontest.orf.at/stories/2712443/

IIRC Australia was the best of those.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
Yeah, that terp got such a kick out of it, she also did Georgia (the goth chick).

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

the list of songs still buzzing around in my head after the finals is pretty long this year: Belgium, Slovenia, Poland, Sweden, Russia...

gotta say I think this year was better than the last few years, definitely more variety with the songs. plently of ballads as usual, but most of them have their own thing going on

Latvia's in particular stands out for me. I don't think i've ever seen a song like it in the competition before. hoping for more like that next year

my fave moment this year was the drunk cameraman looking at boobs. worst moment was seeing Austria finish the voting with a zero :(

GET INTO DA CHOPPA
Nov 22, 2007
D:
Had 30 people in my living room this year. We followed the drinking rules, and I picked Sweden.

I just got sober.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Oxygen Deficiency posted:

the list of songs still buzzing around in my head after the finals is pretty long this year: Belgium, Slovenia, Poland, Sweden, Russia...

gotta say I think this year was better than the last few years, definitely more variety with the songs. plently of ballads as usual, but most of them have their own thing going on

Latvia's in particular stands out for me. I don't think i've ever seen a song like it in the competition before. hoping for more like that next year

my fave moment this year was the drunk cameraman looking at boobs. worst moment was seeing Austria finish the voting with a zero :(

Belgium is indeed surprisingly nice after the initial shock.
Ron Weasly featuring the Beatles (Denmark) is actually growing on me. I like stupid happy simple music. :shrug:

Still Fluxing
Feb 14, 2013

A vision. A picture in my head. A picture of this.

Darth TNT posted:

Belgium is indeed surprisingly nice after the initial shock.
Ron Weasly featuring the Beatles (Denmark) is actually growing on me. I like stupid happy simple music. :shrug:

I watched Denmark's performance yesterday, and it made me wonder if the stupid grimacing hurt them. The song itself is fairly inoffensive .

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Zzulu posted:

Sweden owns, we are the most enlightened most talented most progressive most pretty

the rest of you should just bend your knee and become our cultural vassals already

lol you probably look like Notch

who moved to my city

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Måns won, cool. Please name the 2016 thread Eurovision 2016: Back 2 Sweden

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus
Was anything entertaining enough to make the memorial wall for next year? I didn't get a chance to watch anything live.

• Locked thread