Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
:siren: IRC: #eurovision on irc.synirc.net
:siren: Grand Final YouTube Stream :siren:

It's time to drink heavily, swear at the national juries and watch Cyprus giving 12 points to Greece! Also San Marino has finally found
someone other than Valentina Monetta.

This year we're off to Vienna after Conchita Wurst won with Rise Like a Phoenix, much to the dismay of Russia and Belarus.

This will be the second time that Austria hosts the contest after holding its 1967 edition also in Vienna.

40 countries will participate this year for the chance at victory and opportunity to host next year's event.

This year's contest takes place the week of 18 May. Semi-Final 1 is on 19 May, Semi-Final 2 is on 21 May and the
Grand Final is on 23 May.

The Eurovision Song Contest is one of the longest running television shows in the world. It was on the 24th of May,
in 1956, that Europe saw the first ever Eurovision Song Contest. After 56 runnings, the contest is one of the most
typical European traditions.

Participating countries submit an entry to represent their nation. Each Show is a state-of-the-art, world-class
television production and consists chiefly of successive live televised performances of songs by artists entered by the
Participating Broadcasters to represent their countries. Each song which competes in the ESC shall be selected through
a national selection to be organized by each Participating Broadcaster.

Viewers in the countries of the Participating Broadcasters are invited to vote for their favourite songs (without the
possibility of voting for the song representing their own country) by means of televoting, which shall be implemented
in all the countries of the Participating Broadcasters. In both Semi-Finals and in the Final, the final scores of the
songs in each country shall be calculated on the basis of both the results of televoting and the National Jury's vote.

Once all the songs have been performed, the results shall be announced. In each Semi-Final, the ten songs which
have received the highest number of points from the combination of the televoting and jury points shall be selected
for the Final.

Since 2008, the Eurovision Song Contest consists of three live shows, aired prime-time to millions of homes
across Europe. During two Semi-Finals, viewers and juries across Europe determine which countries will be represented
in the Final.

Some famous artists have gotten their start in the ESC, such as Celine Dion and ABBA. Why we actually care is this
contest gives life to performances that can only be described as Eurovision such as the ones mentioned below
(though there are many others as well.)

On 6 August 2014, Austrian public broadcaster ORF announced that it had chosen Vienna as the host city for the 2015 contest.
The contest will be held at the Wiener Stadthalle, which has an overall capacity of approximately 16,000 people.

I don't know much else about Austria to be honest. :effort: It'll be my first time visiting.

19 May. Voting open to participating countries plus Australia, Austria, France, and Spain.

Moldova - Eduard Romanyuta - I Want Your Love
Armenia - Genealogy - Face The Shadow
Belgium - Loïc Nottet - Rhythm Inside
The Netherlands - Trijntje Oosterhuis - Walk Along
Finland - Pertti Kurikan Nimipäivät - Aina Mun Pitää (I Always Have To)
Greece - Maria-Elena Kyriakou - One Last Breath
Estonia - Elina Born & Stig Rästa - Goodbye to Yesterday
Macedonia - Daniel Kajmakoski - Autumn Leaves
Serbia - Bojana Stamenov - Beauty Never Lies
Hungary - Boggie - Wars for Nothing
Belarus - Uzari & Maimuna - Time
Russia - Polina Gagarina - A Million Voices
Denmark - Anti Social Media - The Way You Are
Albania - Elhaida Dani - I'm Alive
Romania - Voltaj - De la capăt (All Over Again)
Georgia - Nina Sublatti - Warrior

21 May. Voting open to participating countries plus Australia, Germany, Italy, and the UK.

Lithuania - Monika Linkytė and Vaidas Baumila - This Time
Ireland - Molly Sterling - Playing With Numbers
San Marino - Anita Simoncini & Michele Perniola - Chain of Lights
Montenegro - Knez - Adio (Goodbye)
Malta - Amber - Warrior
Norway - Mørland & Debrah Scarlett - A Monster Like Me
Portugal - Leonor Andrade - Há um Mar que nos Separa (There's a sea that separates us)
Czech Republic - Marta Jandová and Václav Noid Bárta - Hope Never Dies
Israel - Nadav Guedj - Golden Boy
Latvia - Aminata - Love Injected
Azerbaijan - Elnur Huseynov - Hour of the Wolf
Iceland - Maria Olafs - Unbroken
Sweden - Måns Zelmerlöw - Heroes
Switzerland - Mélanie René - Time to Shine
Cyprus - John Karayiannis - One Thing I Should Have Done
Slovenia - Maraaya - Here For You
Poland - Monika Kuszyńska - In The Name Of Love

The top 10 countries from the semi-finals will join Austria, Australia, France, Germany, Italy, Spain and the UK in
the Grand Final. The big 5 get in the final automatically because they bankroll a large portion of the costs of the
event, so good on them! As for Australia why the hell not. Could you imagine if the UK had to qualify with Electro Velvet
like everyone else? It happens 23 May.

Slovenia - Maraaya - Here For You
France - Lisa Angell - N'oubliez pas (Don't Forget)
Israel - Nadav Guedj - Golden Boy
Estonia - Elina Born & Stig Rästa - Goodbye to Yesterday
United Kingdom - Electro Velvet - Still In Love With You
Armenia - Genealogy - Face The Shadow
Lithuania - Monika Linkytė and Vaidas Baumila - This Time
Serbia - Bojana Stamenov - Beauty Never Lies
Norway - Mørland & Debrah Scarlett - A Monster Like Me
Sweden - Måns Zelmerlöw - Heroes
Cyprus - John Karayiannis - One Thing I Should Have Done
Australia - Guy Sebastian - Tonight Again
Belgium - Loïc Nottet - Rhythm Inside
Austria - The Makemakes - I Am Yours
Greece - Maria-Elena Kyriakou - One Last Breath
Montenegro - Knez - Adio (Goodbye)
Germany - Ann Sophie - Black Smoke
Poland - Monika Kuszyńska - In The Name Of Love
Latvia - Aminata - Love Injected
Romania - Voltaj - De la capăt (All Over Again)
Spain - Edurne - Amanecer (Dawn)
Hungary - Boggie - Wars for Nothing
Georgia - Nina Sublatti - Warrior
Azerbaijan - Elnur Huseynov - Hour of the Wolf
Russia - Polina Gagarina - A Million Voices
Albania - Elhaida Dani - I'm Alive
Italy - Il Volo - Grande Amore (Great Love)

This year we say goodbye to Ukraine. The country withdrew from the contest due to well, you know. However on the bright side
this year we
see the return of Cyprus, Serbia, and the Czech Republic. Welcome back!

Israel is a member of the EBU. :dealwithit:

Australia? :iiam: On 10 Feb the EBU announced that it had invited Australia to participate in the finals of the contest, represented
by SBS — a long-time broadcaster of the ESC in the country. If Australia wins, it will be able to return for the 2016 edition, which
would be organised by SBS but held in a European host city of its choice.

Some are classics, some are new and take us by surprise. Some don't make it because of the ~National Jury~!
We look back at some of the best Eurovision has to offer. (2014 had nothing notable.)

maybe we can capture the YOHIO crowd 2015
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fUfFluZLGc&hd=1

Romania 2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgHWFiavqjA&hd=1

Ukraine 2007
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfjHJneVonE&hd=1

Finland 2006
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAh9NRGNhUU&hd=1

Moldova 2010: Sunstroke Project f/Olia Tira - Run Away

Moldova 2011: Zdob si Zdub - So Lucky

Here's a comprehensive ESC drinking game to ensure you end up in the hospital by Saturday night:
http://www.aleth.talktalk.net/eurosong.html

Join us in irc.synirc.net channel #eurovision as we get ready for this year, and drink straight through it!

Thanks to EL BROMANCE, Goons were able to perform a televote! No longer would we have to
wonder where our douze points would go to if only we were a voting bloc.

The site is live at : http://crucialweb.net/eurovision

Previous years sites are at the following if you want to see how the goon vote went in years past:

http://crucialweb.net/eurovision2014
http://crucialweb.net/eurovision2013
http://crucialweb.net/eurovision2012

2014 (Some of it at least. THANKS RADIUM.)
2008a
2008b

less than three fucked around with this message at 13:08 on May 23, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

:siren: Grand Final YouTube Stream :siren:

BBC One iPlayer stream (Requires UK or VPN)

less than three fucked around with this message at 18:38 on May 23, 2015

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
I give you our first two GIFs of the year.

less than three fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Apr 21, 2015

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
Also I lost my bookmark to the 2014 thread, so if anyone has it let me know.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Jombo posted:

Israel's participation always confused me - if being an EBU member is the only barrier to entry then why not let Japan in?

Light blue are Associate Members: Any group or organisation member of the International Telecommunication Union (ITU), which provide a radio and/or television service outside of the European Broadcasting Area.

quote:

It was also noted by the EBU that any country that is granted Associate Member status does not include any access into the Eurovision system.

The rule was bent for Australia because

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

memento mori posted:

Hey could someone post that crazy song those guys did where their hair is all screwy and the one dude just kinda screams in this high pitched voice the whole time. I remember the drummer was dangling upside down.

Have to be more specific than that, lmao.

e:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2dllo85ZSUk

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Guuse posted:

If Japan were let in then maybe Yohio could finally make it to Eurovision.

:drat: NATIONAL JURY.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
I think so far 2013 has been the best this decade for interesting acts.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Shanakin posted:

Eurovision has two official languages, English and French. Everyone picks English, well because it's English. Guess which France would choose.

I believe the rule is that the contest must be presented in both English and French regardless of hosting country. The hosting country at their choice may also include their native language. If the country has decent english skills usually just the two languages. If not, there'll be a third.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Kaishai posted:

Is this the thread you're looking for?

Edit: Since it's only five pages long, probably not. All the GBS threads last posted in between May 1 and May 31, 2014 are missing from the archive index. Maybe the main thread fell down that memory hole.

Yeah, that's the Eurovision 2014 thread. Looks like it was a victim of being around in May 2014. :(

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
Vienna introduces ‘gay’ traffic lights for Eurovision :haw:

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Guuse posted:

I know it's already in the OP, but 2007 was also the year the Ukraine reached peak Eurovision.

2007 was the year everybody reached peak Eurovision.

Lordi winning 2006 led to arguably the best next year lineup. "If those Finns can be quirky so can we!"

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

fuseshock posted:

less than 3 why did you guys send a homophobic man that can pass as a homosexual to this contest :(

That stage setup in Vienna plays right into his hands, and that stage is also really lovely.

:iiam: all the ones I liked weren't even close.

I wonder how many people in the standing zone are going to leave with permanent eye damage from that stage.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

I'm so used to Eurovision now by 0:44 with the shots of the mannequins in that video I was like "yep. those are going to start moving some time during the song."

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
Do we know what the goon restream address will be, if any?

I tried to eat a schnitzel that was at least 12" wide last night. Tried.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
Since nobody has op on the old IRC channel, it will now be #eurovision2015 on irc.synirc.net

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
What's something touristy I can do tomorrow.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Gimperial posted:

Is there a link to the BBC One stream?

Eurovision ain't eurovision without Graham Norton

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/live/bbcone

I'll add it to the OP.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
Möt mig i Gamla Stan, motherfuckers! :3:

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

ookiimarukochan posted:

the most shocking thing to me was the way that they charged 55 Australian cents per entry which was about 3x the UK rate.

UK voting is cheap because you refuse to come into the 21st Century and support things like SMS or App voting.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

goatface posted:

UK had app voting, but no SMS. For reasons.

App is new this year then, they didn't last year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
Möt Mig I Gamla Stan! :sweden:

• Locked thread