Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Ugh. Gutted for Switzerland and Portugal. But yay for Slovenia and Israel!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

steinrokkan posted:

Well, Eurovision is still waiting for a Roseanne level of key misjudgement.

Jemini not bad enough for ya?

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

I miss Turkey. They consistently sent some great entries.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Superrodan posted:

Ok guys, so I forgot about Eurovision this year until someone mentioned it online in a random place. They said the final is tomorrow. What time in Pacific is it?

Also, did I miss any crazy songs that have already been eliminated? It seems that usually the forgettable songs and the crazy songs get eliminated so I want to make sure I didn't miss anything.

1) Noon pacific but don't quote me on that.

2) I'd say Moldova maybe?

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

I really thought the UK would do a lot better than they did. The song was better than any of the dirge they've sent the last few years and was genuinely more entertaining than at least half the other performances in the finale.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

The German song didn't even win their national selection. What did you expect?

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Zzulu posted:

once again the superior swedes easily takes the very much deserved win :smug:

Well yeah Swedes probably wrote over half the songs in the contest.

e: Moldova finished 11th in its semi-final. :(

gret fucked around with this message at 01:14 on May 24, 2015

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Pinwiz11 posted:

The gently caress, Europe? That was great.

Yeah really strange. I would've expected that to have come in 11th or something.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Ms Boods posted:

We watched the finals live; Mr Boods can't stand this sort of thing, but I only watch live tv twice a year, and this is one of the two. I also avoid the semis as I want to be surprised/shocked/awed in the finals, although I do go back and read up on them.

My fave was Estonia's entry. Just something about the visuals and James Bond '60s sound was appealing. I shall add it to my very short list of Eurovision videos/songs that I revisit (along with Cezar, who is what I show American pals when they ask what is this Eurovision thing), and my absolute faves, Les Fatals Picards and 'L'Amour a la Francais.' I'm a fan of the Picards anyway, but French men in pink satin :allears:

I hope they don't get too gimmicky about having so many far-flung guest countries; one of the charms of Eurovision is its relentless Europeany-ness. American friends were emailing and messaging me during the show on Saturday, and they have such a completely different take on what they're seeing and how it should be judged, &c. I finally gave up answering them until Sunday (when I sat and read through this thread!) because I got tired of saying, 'Well, no, that's not actually how it's done...'

Graham Norton was fun this year, but seemed a bit more sober -- perhaps in response to being ambushed in his nest during 2014's transmission? He was delightfully snarking during the votes, though, especially his crack about it being 2015, and telecommunications have moved on from two tin cans and a piece of string (after the 3rd or 4th satellite link failure).

Agree with everything in this post.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

zedprime posted:

The blonde host's entire script was interjecting "Australia!" every other line, which I could understand being a little disappointing after Denmark and Sweden taking it so seriously as to not host with robots, but is actually a very high tier of hosting quality compared with other years.

It's hard to top the Danish hosts pranking Graham Norton.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Kurtofan posted:

I can't believe our songs got more points than Moustache

Moustache was the moral winner of Eurovision 2014.

• Locked thread