Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stoic Commie
Aug 29, 2005

by XyloJW
death is certain, bwee

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

"...crying bitch cave bitch boy."
- Anonymous Facebook user
I'm okay with a monkey suffering from a priapism as long as I know this Sun Chip-flavored lip balm won't cause it to happen to me thanks to extensive lab tests.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

It is an unfortunate necessity and the benefits far outweigh the costs.

Digital Fingers
Sep 2, 2012

Bwee posted:

have you guys seen that "head transplant" thing in the news? do you think the experimentation that led to that with monkeys was justified?

I think that guys going to be brain dead afterwards but I hadn't heard anything about the monkeys. How long did they live? What was there motor control like if any?

idk swapping your head out onto another body in order to live longer is like the apex of crapulence and seems perverse to me; You've lived your life it's time to move on. If this leads to quadriplegics being able to walk again instead of spending their life in a stephen hawking wheel chair then hey, fantastic, but honestly head swapping seems like a really stupid way to fix this problem.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Digital Fingers posted:

LOL gently caress off pick

Condoning animal testing for research because i see it as acceptable and a method of harm reduction for humans isn't some nihilist talking point
I value a human life more than an animals and my life more than the life of someone 4000 miles away pick, I think most people have that view but maybe i'm especially selfish?

Factory farming is cruel but I'll live with it because there's 7 billion people on this earth to feed, animals testing is cruel but if it saves humans and cuts down on our suffering i'm for it. This is not at all in the same as ignoring the small problems for the bigger picture, it's realising what necessity demands.

I'm not backing the status quo, I just don't know how you reconcile your viewpoint with your existence. Do you think you're affecting change by driving your car to and from work, coming home after to sit down in front of the computer so you can tell goons animal testing doesn't sit right with you before going out to get drunk with friends?

It doesn't matter how many feelings you have over something pick unless you're doing something about it. I'm probably not a very nice person but at least i'm not a self-deluding hypocrite and that's more important to me any how.

e: edited an extraneous part of a sentence, didn't change the argument but I have OCD or something and it annoyed me

:allears:

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Digital Fingers posted:

I think that guys going to be brain dead afterwards but I hadn't heard anything about the monkeys. How long did they live? What was there motor control like if any?

idk swapping your head out onto another body in order to live longer is like the apex of crapulence and seems perverse to me; You've lived your life it's time to move on. If this leads to quadriplegics being able to walk again instead of spending their life in a stephen hawking wheel chair then hey, fantastic, but honestly head swapping seems like a really stupid way to fix this problem.

Actually cosmetic surgery is how doctors stay in practice and develop the techniques they need to help people who have been disfigured. I would take cosmetic head transplants as a good sign because that means the science has developed to the point that I can count on it in a time of need.

Digital Fingers
Sep 2, 2012

you love me applewhite

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Digital Fingers posted:

you love me applewhite

You've been making good and smart posts ITT. I don't agree with everything you say but I love the way you say it.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

all positions are equally respected here but in the interests of a frank and open dialogue I think we all should be forthcoming with any ulterior motives in lobbying for more dogs in mascara

applewhite

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Applewhite posted:

Actually cosmetic surgery is how doctors stay in practice and develop the techniques they need to help people who have been disfigured. I would take cosmetic head transplants as a good sign because that means the science has developed to the point that I can count on it in a time of need.

Cosmetic surgery is great anyway, people should be able to look how they want.

Sir John Feelgood
Nov 18, 2009

Would it be ethical for aliens vastly smarter than we to farm humans?

edit: Or to experiment on us to ensure the survival of their own race?

Sir John Feelgood fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Apr 22, 2015

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown
this is why we have IACUC, OP

though the amount of shits given about non-charismatic animals is still pretty low

Sir John Feelgood posted:

...yes

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.
Better them than me.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Seriously, just read some stuff by Peter Singer, he's definitely got a view but in his various rebuttals and etc. you'll see how this issue is explored.

My general feeling is yes, it would be, although I hope that doesn't happen because I don't want to die suffering.

Sir John Feelgood
Nov 18, 2009

I think I made the question too easy by putting it in terms of absolute life or death. Most of us probably exercise little judgment when an organism's survival is definitely at stake.

There are numerous obvious ways to rephrase the question.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

intelligence is only a factor in ethics inasmuch as it's wronger to harm something the more upset it's likely to be about it (as best as we can determine), it confers no extra privileges unless you are a nazi in a science fiction story. Octopuses and stuff are pretty smart but we're not about to confer them extra rights or give them really stupid peoples' stuff like they're more deserving. Nobody is going to compare IQ scores to decide whether it's OK for you to hit their sister.

Whether an alien species has any claims on us would IMO (assuming neither we nor they succeeded in killing the other off right off the bat) come down to whether they can coexist in a society with us like people or whether they're just smart animals we can't swindle or trade dumb stoner philosophy with.

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Apr 22, 2015

Sir John Feelgood
Nov 18, 2009

Like I indicated on the first page, I don't think intelligence is the attribute one should look at when deciding whether it's ethical to make an animal miserable for our benefit. I said that "the capacity to suffer" is what we should look at, which you said was impossible to determine. But now I think I should have said "whether an animal appears to us to display signs of suffering." One could possibly then cast doubt on whether what seems like suffering is actual subjective suffering, but to that I'd say that when in doubt about whether torturing an animal will cause it real suffering, it's best to err on the side of caution and not torture it. It seems to me that you're taking a different stance than the one you took on the first page, but it's very late and I'm tired so I could be reading you badly

Edit: You also took out chunks of the post above while I was writing, so I could be responding here to redacted assertions. I don't know, I'm tired.

Edit:Nevermind, they appear to be there again. Maybe my phone was malfunctioning.

Edit: Now that I look closer, you rewrote a bunch of it is what happened.

Sir John Feelgood fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Apr 22, 2015

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Like I indicated on the first page, I don't think intelligence is the attribute one should look at when deciding whether it's ethical to make an animal miserable for our benefit. I said that "the capacity to suffer" is what we should look out, which you said was impossible to determine. But now I think I should have said "whether an animal appears to us to display signs of suffering." One could possibly then cast doubt on whether what seems like suffering is actual subjective suffering, but to that I'd say that when in doubt about whether torturing an animal will cause it real suffering, it's best to err on the side of caution and not torture it. It seems to me that you're taking a different stance than the one you took on the first place, but it's very late and I'm tired so I could be reading you badly.

IMO that is a fair metric, and the one I mostly actually use in practice. I don't really go research how intelligent scientists say a critter is before deciding what I'm going to do with it.

I do buy that there's some validity to studying what's actually going on in critters' heads so we're not anthropomorphizing stuff that honestly couldn't give a poo poo and accidentally tormenting stuff that just doesn't speak human body language good, or just misreading things' reactions entirely. A lot of what people intuit as like 'friendly' or 'happy' body language in critters is stress reactions, if you just go by appearances you'll probably be wrong a lot which is where some kind of somewhat objective measure comes in. OTOH the science on all that poo poo's a clusterfuck so IDK, try to minimize harm by whatever metric works best for you, there's no ideal one. I'm not gonna feel too bad about killing a colony of ants that's eating my house even if they writhe around a bit when I spray em and I'll probably puss out on killing the squirrels nesting in the attic and just relocate em instead. Unless I wanna make squirrel stew.

E: yeah I didn't see your post right above and changed mine sry

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

kill that squirrel family you pussy

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Dungeon Ecology posted:

kill that squirrel family you pussy

squirrels are a-ok in my book but I will murder the poo poo out of a deer and eat its family

i am large and contain multitudes but mostly after years of observation I am solidly convinced that they are dumber than dirt and roughly a billion times as obnoxious. The squirrels try to steal food I leave out and yell incoherently at me when I walk in on them partying on the lawn so they're basically just neighbors

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013
Alright, so what weapons and skills do I get whne fighting this cow>?

Are we still talking about that?

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

just popping in to say i cant get enough of it, op

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Ork of Fiction posted:

Alright, so what weapons and skills do I get whne fighting this cow>?

Are we still talking about that?

whatever you got

how committed are you to getting that burger

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013
Double jump and Ice Beam then.

gently caress that cow is going to get wrecked hardstyle.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

killaer posted:

If the people in charge of animal research were normal people and not sociopathic autistic retard nerds it would be ok

theres a cog psych professor at my university that has a lab dedicated to injecting rats with cocaine/stimulants and observing the results and parading that poo poo as real science. the poo poo actually gets paid to do this. students who work in his lab talk about their daily rat kill counts.

people who work with animals to work out cures for diseases, its okay, but lazy poo poo retards who get handed a lab and free reign to design their hosed up experiments should have their labs bombed by peta and be sniped by animal rights terrorists

ok which cuntry do you live in where people do not have to fill out a stack of paperwork and get constant vet visits for animal experiments

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004
You shouldn't drive a car if you didn't build it.
You shouldn't live in a house if you didn't build it.
You shouldn't eat meat if you didn't kill it.
You shouldn't wear a sweater if you didn't knit it.

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring
I like the idea that the ogre of our fairy tales is really just a representation of humans and how we interact with nature.

Bwee
Jul 1, 2005

Luvcow posted:

I like the idea that the ogre of our fairy tales is really just a representation of humans and how we interact with nature.

My favorite fairy tale ogre is Shrek

Stoic Commie
Aug 29, 2005

by XyloJW
he is akin to a loving onion

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Demonachizer posted:

Finally, an excuse to never wear another dumb Christmas sweater

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Demonachizer posted:

In order to bake an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

intelligence is only a factor in ethics inasmuch as it's wronger to harm something the more upset it's likely to be about it (as best as we can determine), it confers no extra privileges unless you are a nazi in a science fiction story. Octopuses and stuff are pretty smart but we're not about to confer them extra rights or give them really stupid peoples' stuff like they're more deserving.

Cephalopods do have extra rights relative to other invertebrates in that you need paperwork in order to study them in a lab. All other invertebrates you can just do whatever the hell you want.

Like I indicated on the first page, I don't think intelligence is the attribute one should look at when deciding whether it's ethical to make an animal miserable for our benefit. I said that "the capacity to suffer" is what we should look at, which you said was impossible to determine. But now I think I should have said "whether an animal appears to us to display signs of suffering." One could possibly then cast doubt on whether what seems like suffering is actual subjective suffering, but to that I'd say that when in doubt about whether torturing an animal will cause it real suffering, it's best to err on the side of caution and not torture it.

You'd see tremendous variation among humans though, even though we presume that most humans have an approximately equal capacity to suffer. For example, children who are raised in neglectful environments can develop attachment disorders which mean that they don't signal discomfort (or, more generally, don't solicit comfort). Solitary animals would also be at a disadvantage, because you only express suffering if you feel there's a potential upside to having done so. This is one reason wounded predators often seem so "stoic", there's just no upshot to admitting that it is afflicted.

• Locked thread