Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brennan
Jan 18, 2005

Eric the Mauve posted:

In a related story this was one of the lowest scoring seasons in modern NHL history

weird how that works. it's almost like the NHL front office is completely unable to learn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Gunjin posted:

If really love it if obstruction started being enforced, it'd be good for not just the Capitals but the whole game of hockey.

They won't because they don't want defensemen getting murdered on the forecheck.

Karnegal posted:

Hey now, let's not forget delay of game

Oh god, I can't wait until that penalty decides a Stanley Cup finals game. The Cup being decided on it would own

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Brennan posted:

weird how that works. it's almost like the NHL front office is completely unable to learn
i think they learned after 03-04, and this season was at least as bad as that.

Trevor Bird
Apr 1, 2006

On a mountain of skulls, in the castle of pain, I sat on a throne of blood! What was will be! What is will be no more! Now is the season of evil! LET'S GO PRED-A-TORS!

Ginette Reno posted:

It's really not. Hooking isn't a penalty either unless it's water ski level. NHL penalties right now are tripping, high sticks, boarding, and hooking but only if it's a huge water ski type hook and not just a lil tug.

hockey is dumb as hell. i'm gonna go watch some indoor soccer or something.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

yes take 400 penalties with a 1-goal lead, detroit. brilliant.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

INSPECTAH DECK posted:

Not only have they not mentioned the lack of penalties as a problem but they've done poo poo like try to solve the "problem" of diving. There's already no penalties and they want even less :lol:

darkwolf220
May 14, 2009

SOON :stare:

The irony of the Canucks vs Flames game being on the USA network is not lost on me.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
That said the game is still ten times more watchable than 03-04. Go back and watch that Lighting/Flames series and look at what was let go back then. It's not quite that bad now, so there's that.

Brennan
Jan 18, 2005

INSPECTAH DECK posted:

they reacted. If they had learned they would have taken more proactive steps to make sure the game didn't regress

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

INSPECTAH DECK posted:

For unrelated reasons though

And if I recall correctly they made a real effort to call obstruction penalties in 05-06, scoring sharply rose almost entirely because power plays sharply rose as players refused to stop holding and interfering no matter how much it was called, and then the officials promptly resumed not calling those penalties and scoring levels made their way right back to pre-lockout levels.

And the longer we go on the better defensive (that is, the art of holding and interference) coaching and conditioning gets, the worse it gets. It's not just the scoring levels on their own (though come on, 5-4 games are always more fun than 2-1 games) it's more that when I want to watch hockey I end up having to watch wrestling half the time

Ginette Reno posted:

That said the game is still ten times more watchable than 03-04. Go back and watch that Lighting/Flames series and look at what was let go back then. It's not quite that bad now, so there's that.

I actually did this just like 2 months ago and it IS very close to that bad again now. The main difference at this point is the lack of two-line pass offsides (which was always retarded) and the much greater willingness of teams to ice the puck on purpose because they were allowed to change lines.

Trevor Bird
Apr 1, 2006

On a mountain of skulls, in the castle of pain, I sat on a throne of blood! What was will be! What is will be no more! Now is the season of evil! LET'S GO PRED-A-TORS!
no fisher tonight, but maybe fiala.

darkwolf220
May 14, 2009

Trevor Bird posted:

no fisher tonight, but maybe fiala.

If they don't have Weber, the game might not even be worth watching :(

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I mean hockey still owns all the bones and I'll love it no matter what but it could be so much better. The NHL just can't figure out obvious poo poo

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

Red Wings power play, AKA Countdown to Red Wings Penalty

Trevor Bird
Apr 1, 2006

darkwolf220 posted:

If they don't have Weber, the game might not even be worth watching :(

weber's not even in chicago. fisher's a bigger loss than people let on. most responsible forward on the roster. if josi and jones look like peewee players again tonight then it's gonna be awful.

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom

Ginette Reno posted:

I mean hockey still owns all the bones and I'll love it no matter what but it could be so much better. The NHL just can't figure out obvious poo poo

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS
Zetterberg has looked like hot garbage all series. I wonder if he's injured or just old.

Brennan
Jan 18, 2005

Eric the Mauve posted:

For unrelated reasons though

And if I recall correctly they made a real effort to call obstruction penalties in 05-06, scoring sharply rose almost entirely because power plays sharply rose as players refused to stop holding and interfering no matter how much it was called, and then the officials promptly resumed not calling those penalties and scoring levels made their way right back to pre-lockout levels.

And the longer we go on the better defensive (that is, the art of holding and interference) coaching and conditioning gets, the worse it gets. It's not just the scoring levels on their own (though come on, 5-4 games are always more fun than 2-1 games) it's more that when I want to watch hockey I end up having to watch wrestling half the time

The league needs to have the foresight to tell the players and coaches to gently caress off for the long term heath of the game which will result in higher salaries for them and then commit to it no matter how much the players and coaches cry about it

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
BAAAAAAAAAH GAWD :supaburn:

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

Abby2Sheahan!! :woop:

forward pass
Dec 9, 2005

Y'all get back now.
WOOOOO WINGS!

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

Brouwer has always wanted to play like Guy Lafleur

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Tavares with Matt Martin and Cal Clutterbuck.

Jack Capuano.

darkwolf220
May 14, 2009

Losing your helmet and then going to screen the goalie takes some huge balls :stare:

Pikag
Jun 5, 2009
Red wings score despite their best efforts to throw this game away through penalties!

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS
Holy moly guys. How is Detroit winning??

Brennan
Jan 18, 2005

Ginette Reno posted:

I love he game, its why I want to see it be better.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Naet posted:

Zetterberg has looked like hot garbage all series. I wonder if he's injured or just old.

HE HEARD YOU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

:siren: SHEAHAN :siren:

loving bro hug
Mar 7, 2006

I Love The Colorado Avalanche More Than I Love Landeskog's Balls In My Mouth
AND I LOVE LANDESKOG'S BALLS IN MY MOUTH A WHOLE LOT
PS Sakic > Yzerman
Great goal Abby to Sheahan!!

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom
O-zone draw, Jay Beagle line.

Barry Trotz.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Naet posted:

They have more goals.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
Thought Green had that for sure

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
im well aware of the issues with the "new nhl" solutions, but at least they tried, and we had 2 seasons where 100 points wasnt a mythical total for giants. now theyre just being lazy about it.

Dirt McGuirk
Oct 21, 2010

brave

&

strong
oh boy two goal lead

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Naet posted:

Because how else will we have a Detroit/Chicago final

Pikag
Jun 5, 2009

Dirt McGuirk posted:

oh boy two goal lead

The most dangerous lead in Red Wings hockey...

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

obligatory

Dirt McGuirk
Oct 21, 2010

brave

&

strong

tinstaach posted:

obligatory

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Wow, how did that blatant hold not get called on the Capitals with 15 seconds left?

edit - Number 42 on the Caps had number 55 in a literal bear hug from behind. 42s right hand reached out, grabbed 55s shoulder and pulled him back and then wrapped his left arm around him from the other side.

TMMadman fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Apr 22, 2015

• Locked thread