Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Titan is a pretty cool place, the largest moon of Saturn, it is the second largest moon in the solar system after Jupiter's moon Ganymede. Physically it's larger than the Planet Mercury(though not as massive) as well as all of the dwarf planets discovered so far (Pluto can' t catch a drat break) and makes our boring loving moon look like poo poo.

Of particular interest is the fact that it is the only satellite to have a major atmosphere, despite the place being way smaller than Earth it has more actual atmosphere, which means its way denser than our own and the only other rocky world it compares to is Venus. It's mostly composed of Nitrogen gas with a bit of Methane as well so it probably smells godawful, luckily if you're able to smell it then it means you're probably about to die since the temperature of the moon is -179 degrees Celsius. the low temperature is a result of it being ten times further out from the sun than earth as well as a reversed greenhouse effect from its reflective atmosphere (wrap it up global warmailures :smug:).

The chilly temperature means water ice is hard as rock on the surface, but (combined with the thick atmosphere) it also means that huge amounts of Methane, Ethane and some other hydrocarbons can exist in a liquid form on the surface, in fact Titan is the only known body apart from Earth that is known to have liquid bodies on the surface, it even has a hydrological cycle similar to the water cycle on Earth except with what's basically natural gas instead of water. The surface clearly shows signs of extensive liquid erosion with rivers, seas and it even rains (due to the low gravity and thick atmosphere the rain droplets are huge and fall to the ground slowly)

(Radar image showing large liquid bodies of hydrocarbons on the surface of Titan, the largest, Kraken Mare on the bottom left, is the size of the Caspian sea!)

Next to nothing was known about Titan until 2004 because it's so far away and has a thick, obscuring atmosphere, but since then a loving awesome probe program called Cassini-Huygens was able to reach Saturn and has done extensive studies, analyzing the atmosphere, orbit, structure and radar mapping large parts of the surface of Titan as part of its general studies of the Saturnian system. It was even able to put a lander (Huygens) on Titan's surface, here's its picture of what looks a bit like a riverbed:

Titan probably has some kind of geological processes going on beneath its surface, like cryovulcanism (basically water volcanoes), and there is some evidence for a massive underground ocean composed of water and maybe ammonia heated up by tidal forces from Saturn. Of course this ocean is probably ultra-salty, super high pressure, but nevertheless this raises the biggest question of all, could life exist on Titan? Obviously water based life can't exist on the surface but it might be locked within this ocean, of course we can't detect it from Earth so we'll have to return in the future with another probe that can drill through miles of ice if we hope to find anything interesting. HOWEVER it has been suggested that their is a possibility that life can exist without liquid water on the surface but which uses the massive amounts of hydrocarbons on the surface as a solvent instead (some info on this concept), this is super crazy stuff, but scientists have proposed a membrane model that is possible, while anomolies in Titan's atmosphere could be explained by the presence of such an exotic life form.

So thats Titan, now lets discuss what we'll do with all that sweet, sweet gas when we get there, how we can wipe out any existing alien microbes most efficiently, and maybe some of the other moons of Saturn and else where if people are interested, Except Rhea, gently caress Rhea.

Mimas, death Star knockoff.

Enceladus, making GBS threads out tons of water into space constantly

Iapetus, a half black walnut

Tethys, pretty boring

Dione, giant cliffs everywhere

Mommy Saturn, with her rings and a really weird looking giant Hexagon on the north pole.

khwarezm fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Apr 22, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

How Saturn is devouring its moon: Stunning images reveal Enceladus' ghostly tendrils being sucked in by the gas giant's rings

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencet...nt-s-rings.html

really cool pics

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Titan is cooler than Europa.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
im setting up a base on phobos and it'll have a really nice greenhouses so we can grow dank weed to ship to mars

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

Attempt no landing there

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Mr. Pumroy posted:

Attempt no landing there

Oh.... poo poo.

Nefarious
Sep 26, 2000

by XyloJW
i fuckin love titties

Other Barry
Jun 5, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
gently caress YOU OP DON'T TELL ME WHAT TO DO

cool tree bro
Jul 27, 2010
can we get a higher resolution dione?

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Ferid posted:

gently caress YOU OP DON'T TELL ME WHAT TO DO
[timg]REDACTED/timg]

Excuse me sir, are you unable to read the loving title? Do you know how long it will take to expunge that image from my memory?

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

What's some info on the giant crater on Mimas, or Iapetus's weird shape. Those are pretty cool.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
large collisions ofc, but the mountain band around Iapetus is believed to be the soft accretion of former rings, very possibly formed from said collision!

Nefarious
Sep 26, 2000

by XyloJW
now THIS is podracing!

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

egg.jpg

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Chinaman7000 posted:

What's some info on the giant crater on Mimas, or Iapetus's weird shape. Those are pretty cool.

Caveman death star's crater isn't actually that big, the moon itself is really tiny, its only like 400 km in diameter (its the smallest object that can sort itself into a good sphere under its own gravity), the crater is about 130 km across, the same size as the one which killed the dinosaurs here on earth. The impact probably did come close to shattering the moon though.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Titan having life would be really cool op.

Pivotal Lever
Sep 9, 2003

can someone please deliver the spaceship part to titan, dudes been stranded there for a million years

Nefarious
Sep 26, 2000

by XyloJW
open your eyes jet fuel cant melt steel beams

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Lawman 0 posted:

Titan having life would be really cool op.

the prospect of titan having life that does not use water would blow the idea of life being really common wide the gently caress open, even if it's unlikely for us to ever find life outside our own solar system

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Cubey posted:

the prospect of titan having life that does not use water would blow the idea of life being really common wide the gently caress open, even if it's unlikely for us to ever find life outside our own solar system

It would also effectively create an additional, massive 'goldilocks zone' in places far away enough from the sun for liquid hydrocarbons to exist.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
Op are you into amateur astronomy at all? I was star gazing from my porch the other day and saw Jupiter, which suddenly inspired me to should buy a telescope and learn more about the solar system!

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

Op are you into amateur astronomy at all? I was star gazing from my porch the other day and saw Jupiter, which suddenly inspired me to should buy a telescope and learn more about the solar system!

jupiter through even a mid-range, 300 dollar telescope is goddamn amazing, buy a telescope right now

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

Sadly no :(. I live in a big city so light pollution is massive while just generally Ireland is cloudy place so its hopelessly unreliable. I don't have much money either. I sometimes used a binoculars when I was younger but mostly I keep track of those deep space probes and such on science sites. Besides what really reels me in is the search for life in the universe.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

Cubey posted:

jupiter through even a mid-range, 300 dollar telescope is goddamn amazing, buy a telescope right now

Link me to one on Amazon that you like and I'll start doing some pre-purchase research!

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

Link me to one on Amazon that you like and I'll start doing some pre-purchase research!

i've not bought a telescope in ages, so all i can really say is that tasco is what i've always used, first a refractor and now a much better reflector. so get a tasco reflector of some sort i guess.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

khwarezm posted:

It would also effectively create an additional, massive 'goldilocks zone' in places far away enough from the sun for liquid hydrocarbons to exist.

Can you really call it a goldilocks zone once it stops being "juuuust right" for life that is frankly; similar to our own?

It just breaks the metaphor for the catchy name a little bit. "This porridge is too hot. This porridge is too cold. This porridge is primarily composed of a mixture that is literally poisonous to my existence; though not to a hypothetical other being..... I say this is juuuuuuust right."

Also I know goldilocks zone has way more to do with position from your star and presence of life-supporting materials- but that's not how the story went I think we should pick a different name.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

reignofevil posted:

Can you really call it a goldilocks zone once it stops being "juuuust right" for life that is frankly; similar to our own?

It just breaks the metaphor for the catchy name a little bit. "This porridge is too hot. This porridge is too cold. This porridge is primarily composed of a mixture that is literally poisonous to my existence; though not to a hypothetical other being..... I say this is juuuuuuust right."

Also I know goldilocks zone has way more to do with position from your star and presence of life-supporting materials- but that's not how the story went I think we should pick a different name.

Uh, I was just talking about the general concept of life, if this hypothetical sluggish Methane thing exists, not just life similar to use.

Ivor Biggun
Apr 30, 2003

A big "Fuck You!" from the Keyhole nebula

Lipstick Apathy

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

did you go through my posting history and see that i was just talking about star control 2 in a different thread or what

star control 2 goty all years

Grandma Panic!
Nov 4, 2006
buy this for :20bux: and learn how telescopes work while you're at it (also it will help poor babby schoolkids learn the same).

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

khwarezm posted:

Uh, I was just talking about the general concept of life, if this hypothetical sluggish Methane thing exists, not just life similar to use.

It is not you that is the problem but scientific journalism.

Go in peace friend :)

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

lol methane and nitrogen are odorless gases ya silly op

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Pastor Perineum posted:

lol methane and nitrogen are odorless gases ya silly op

drat, I don't know where I got the idea Methane had a smell.

Grandma Panic!
Nov 4, 2006
Also my fav of Saturn's Moons, Pan.

It's one of a few that actually orbit inside Saturn's Rings, and along with Atlas they sweep through the ring picking up dust,
much like a deathfat collects spicy garlic chicken at your local buffet, and adds it to it's comically large equator.

I like to think it's like one huge planet-spanning sand dune :unsmith:

Ivor Biggun
Apr 30, 2003

A big "Fuck You!" from the Keyhole nebula

Lipstick Apathy

Cubey posted:

did you go through my posting history and see that i was just talking about star control 2 in a different thread or what

star control 2 goty all years

Great minds simply think alike.

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

why the feds worried bout me clockin on this corner/
when there's politicians out here gettin popped in arizona
which planet has the moonn named rhianna OP

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer
Space is a crazy place. Pictures from Titan's surface. These are exciting times.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

Cubey posted:

i've not bought a telescope in ages, so all i can really say is that tasco is what i've always used, first a refractor and now a much better reflector. so get a tasco reflector of some sort i guess.

i'm literally using one of these http://james.as.arizona.edu/~psmith/60inch/ right now, you should get one

(seriously i am and jupiter/saturn are awesome through it though I havent done that in years because we have the 2MASS CCD installed right now and are cruising for some sexy galaxy transients)

pwnyXpress
Mar 28, 2007
Just wanted to post here that I love Saturn's moons.

Surface of Iapetus is awesome (it isn't differences in lighting that you're looking at here).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
that's no moon...

• Locked thread