Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
Okay I get you're trying to show the internet how much of a tough guy you are but really?

quote:

I risk my life so you can say that, you ungrateful pansy

Excuses. "The maximum effective range of an excuse is 0 meters" is a direct quote from my drill sergeant. Did you give 100%? Is it taken care of? If not, go back and make it happen!
Bystander Syndrome/lack of proactiveness. WOW have I noticed this one. Get a crowd of people together, emergency happens, everybody looks at the person next to them and waits for somebody to do something. Guess what? YOU are somebody. Get busy.
Needs vs. wants confusion. Food, water and shelter are needs. Everything else is a want. You can live a lot rougher than you think you can. My ex-wife sent me an email complaining about being short of cash. At the end- "Sent from my iPhone." Come on, really? I'd just gotten out of the field where I was living out of what I could carry on my back for a month.
Work ethic. Okay, this one's not really that much better in the military. There are a LOT of lazy NCOs (sergeants) and privates. The good thing is, I can put my boot up their rear end and they get back to work. You can't really use quite the same ah, forcefulness, when dealing with civilians.
Fake patriotism/blind nationalism. Yeah, support the troops, rah rah. You want to really support me? Maybe you could try voting for somebody that doesn't start random wars next time?
Incompetence and dithering. "Privates bring me problems. Sergeants keep me informed of their solutions." Everyone starts as a private, but many eventually become a sergeant. When a (good) sergeant runs into a problem, ANY problem, they go into solution mode. This is the foundation of the modern US military- junior leaders, enlisted and officer alike, are trained that when in doubt, make a drat decision and execute. Surprisingly, snap decisions often turn out to be good enough to get the job done. "I dunno..." is flat out not acceptable.

My drill sergent's favorite saying was "I don't give a flying Batman gently caress." By the time I got to OCS, some ten years later, the saying was, "No quibbling." Apparently when you questioned something, or tried to defend your actions or position, they considered it quibbling and made you do something humiliating like carry around a red painted concrete block know as "The Mental Block."

quote:

Apparently when you questioned something, or tried to defend your actions or position, they considered it quibbling and made you do something humiliating like carry around a red painted concrete block know as "The Mental Block.
I don't get it though because lol if you're so pathetic and subordinate that you actually do things like this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
Yeah I definitely don't understand the greatness of receiving middle school style bullying as an adult.

Inevitable
Jul 27, 2007

by Ralp
He didn't risk his life for anything except the interests of the oligarchy.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
because the typical marine is a barely literate sociopath

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

He's right get-r-done, boot up your rear end usa#1

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Akx3uwhohmU

Darf
Jun 6, 2011

You have quite a treasure there...
STOLEN VALOR

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer
lol, no one puts a boot up anyone's rear end in the army. Its pretty kid friendly these days.

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW
War. What is it good for? Absolutely nothing.

Nefarious
Sep 26, 2000

by XyloJW
gonna crowd source this decision should i read all those words in the op or no?

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]

angry gibberish yelling

BrawndoTQ
Oct 18, 2001
i'm gonna kill people for a living this sounds like a worthwhile use of my time

cool tree bro
Jul 27, 2010
lol if you think the military wont be made of primarily contractors from blackwater, i mean Xe, I mean Academi and other such corporations in a decade.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Nefarious posted:

gonna crowd source this decision should i read all those words in the op or no?

no

Inevitable
Jul 27, 2007

by Ralp

cool tree bro posted:

lol if you think the military wont be made of primarily contractors from blackwater, i mean Xe, I mean Academi and other such corporations in a decade.

Pretty sure "contractors" outnumber actual soldiers in Iraq right now.

cool tree bro
Jul 27, 2010

Inevitable posted:

Pretty sure "contractors" outnumber actual soldiers in Iraq right now.

"contractors" aka "impossible to prosecute for war crimes"

Pivotal Lever
Sep 9, 2003

Coming up on the 2yr anniversary of when Chris Kyle was taken from us.
I can honestly say I get the same sick feeling when I hear his name or read a post as I did when we got the call he was gone.
Gone but always in my family's heart.

Darf
Jun 6, 2011

You have quite a treasure there...
I am chris kyles trusty sidearm

Nefarious
Sep 26, 2000

by XyloJW

ok gonna go with this thanks all

sketch66
Aug 14, 2010
Somewhere out there in this wonderful country of ours are the brave men who planned and orchestrated the "butt pyramid" photo at Abu Ghraib prison.

They didn't wake up saying "I want to be an American Hero today."

They just did their jobs.

And they deserve our thanks.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
lol if you challenge yourself or learn to face adversity without being a pussy bitchboy. Just lol.

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

cool tree bro posted:

drat dude u should make a video game about this

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

quote:

You want to really support me? Maybe you could try voting for somebody that doesn't start random wars next time?

lol how about finding an occupation not predicated on participating in wars as a hired killer you idiot

Dave_Indeed
Feb 22, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Methanar posted:

Okay I get you're trying to show the internet how much of a tough guy you are but really?

I don't get it though because lol if you're so pathetic and subordinate that you actually do things like this

That all sounds very accurate. I do a lot of contract work at Military sites and I like working with them. I just got back from Tinker this week. It was great because everyone gets out of the drat way, watches what I'm doing patiently, and shuts their loving mouth when I explain what's going on and how to use my sweet rear end system I designed for them.

Also, stuff happens when you ask them to do it.

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot

Applewhite posted:

lol if you challenge yourself or learn to face adversity without being a pussy bitchboy. Just lol.

mega lol if this challenge and adversity comes from some pointless, destructive poo poo that you volunteered for instead of a legitimate attempt to better yourself.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

sketch66 posted:

Somewhere out there in this wonderful country of ours are the brave men who planned and orchestrated the "butt pyramid" photo at Abu Ghraib prison.

They didn't wake up saying "I want to be an American Hero today."

They just did their jobs.

And they deserve our thanks.

their discount at old country buffet is hardly enough to compensate for the years in prison they did for a thing rumsfield signed an order saying they actually had to do

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

City of Tampa posted:

mega lol if this challenge and adversity comes from some pointless, destructive poo poo that you volunteered for instead of a legitimate attempt to better yourself.

bettering myself under my own direction sounds haaaaard, I better have some guy with even less education than me yell at me for 15 hours a day if I really want to do it correctly

Knitting Beetles
Feb 4, 2006

Fallen Rib
They have nothing else op

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

this explains so much

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
i actually agree about the rapid decline in selflessness in the u.s. military post 9/11 and the constant bragging / i suffered the most contest but the abu ghraib poo poo was actually appalling all the way to the top so blaming the soldiers is starting to make me wonder if we're actually just declining in government and as a people and (some) soldiers behavior is just a by product of both of these things

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

City of Tampa posted:

Especially lol if you volunteered as part of an attempt to better yourself. Lol if you think getting regular exercise and learning to work as a team is "self improvement."

Just sit on the couch and eat a sandwich, lol!

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

Dave_Indeed posted:

Also, stuff happens when you ask them to do it.

like dead brown people

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

i think they brag about it cause theyve been emasculated by idiots for like 17 years straight and want to somehow turn their humiliation into pride

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

pretty soft girl posted:

bettering myself under my own direction sounds haaaaard, I better have some guy with even less education than me yell at me for 15 hours a day if I really want to do it correctly

gently caress you if you don't surrender to your own inability to self motivate, amirite? Don't seek outside help, just loving curl up into a ball and die of fatness, idiot.

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

Applewhite posted:

Especially lol if you volunteered as part of an attempt to better yourself. Lol if you think getting regular exercise and learning to work as a team is "self improvement."

this is called a gym membership and getting a job

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot

Applewhite posted:

Just sit on the couch and eat a sandwich, lol!

super duper extreme hoorah LOL if you think that you need to murder poor people in foreign countries to get fit instead of joining a gym, also LOL if you count PTSD and/or amputations as "self improvement"

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

City of Tampa posted:

super duper extreme hoorah LOL if you think that you need to murder poor people in foreign countries to get fit instead of joining a gym, also LOL if you count PTSD and/or amputations as "self improvement"

lol if you think there's a difference between murder and killing an enemy combatant as part of a "legitimate" (read: illegal, lol) military action.

Dave_Indeed
Feb 22, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

like dead brown people

Not me personally but yeah.

I went overseas once to do biometric poo poo with a team of dudes and one of them told about how one time they caught some rear end in a top hat that built a bomb and blew up a meeting room noone was currently in. They ended up essentially executing him by way of "letting the Iraqi military deal with him".

Apparently they're just like, "u guilty? lol, gently caress it!" and shoot people in the head.

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

I'm in shape and know how to work as part of a team and I don't think I've killed a single person either here or overseas

all I had to do was be a general success in life

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Pictured: a bunch of idiots, lol.

Dumbasses didn't realize they could have just stayed home and let the Imperial Japanese mass murder thousands of innocent civilians in ways that made Abu Grahib's misconduct look like a tea party.

lol if you wear the cloth of your nation with pride. It's just clothes IDIOT.

Life is a meaningless spiral of despair and misery hahahahahahahaha

• Locked thread