Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Moridin920 posted:

personally I just think it's funny when they get all 'I risk my life for YOU!' like my rights were ever threatened by Afghanis. If anything I've lost more civil rights in the last 10 years due to our own government policy than because outsiders are at the gates.

You protect the economic interests of the American colonial empire. Sorry I'm not sucking your dick for it. You didn't fight Japan. You didn't fight the Nazis. You haven't done poo poo other than kill people in their own country for indeterminate reasons so stop trying to ride on the accomplishments of others.

*Afghans

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

plain blue jacket posted:

Is there is much animosity between american soldiers and civilians in real life or is this just a something awful thing?

I honestly never hear it IRL, then again I live in NYC where most people are too busy to give a drat and 9/11 was a real thing to them.

To me it's like how Americans think the rest of the world hates them, the truth is nobody gives a poo poo about America, it's just a place where awesome movies and TV shows come from.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

cool tree bro posted:

lol if you think the military wont be made of primarily contractors from blackwater, i mean Xe, I mean Academi and other such corporations in a decade.

When they first popped onto the scene I looked into them for a few hours because it was like something out of an outlandish cyberpunk game or something. The amount of logos and corporate taping around them is nuts.

Actually the thing that bummed me out is when I first started to look into them, I ran across like two dozen companies I bet not many people have heard of in Iraq; everyone knows Blackwater/Xe. My personal favorite was a "security solutions" firm owned by Haliburton, mostly because before the Iraq war they were literally thrown out of the Phillipines for doing enforcement work for a child slavery and prostitution ring but avoided prosecution due to their American connections.

Of course this reputation meant they probably got a really good discount on mercenaries private security.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

TheChad posted:

They're just seeing if they can get a response from him at all, if he laughs they win. :D

My mean and cruel military story is one time I called another dude a 'tool' and he complained to the sergeants. They called me up and asked why, so I said, 'he's a tool, sir'. Then I got 4 am saturday PT for two weeks. :mad:

Why don't you be an adult and tell the guy wasting your time to go gently caress himself.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

plain blue jacket posted:

Is there is much animosity between american soldiers and civilians in real life or is this just a something awful thing?

It's a love hate relationship. Like for example where I live there is a massive marine base (Pendleton). The locals love the economic boost and generally don't have a problem with individual soldiers, but everyone hates the marines who act like drunken jackasses every weekend.

I don't really have a huge problem with soldiers but it does just irritate me when they pretend like they're doing me some huge service.

For the most part people are pretty cool with soldiers. I don't like the occupation but I understand it's the best choice some people have.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Apr 22, 2015

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

man applewhite really bought into the commercial where the marine fights the dragon with a sword didn't he?

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.

Daedra posted:

my dad was in the air force and he was a badass that put gas in airplanes i mean how badass is that

How does it feel knowing your dad wanted to murder people?

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
there's actually a huge difference between the marine corps and the air force / navy.

when people think of stupid murdering psychopaths what they're really thinking of is the marine corps, and that's ok, they are literally the grunts and it's their job to kill as many people as possible before they eventually die.

don't mix the air force and navy into that same group.

psyopmonkey
Nov 15, 2008

by Lowtax

a bone to pick posted:

there's actually a huge difference between the marine corps and the air force / navy.

when people think of stupid murdering psychopaths what they're really thinking of is the marine corps, and that's ok, they are literally the grunts and it's their job to kill as many people as possible before they eventually die.

Marines: Dollar Store Murder
Army: Walmart Murder
Air Force: Target Murder
Navy: Kohls/Best Buy Murder
Coast Guard: No one cares
NOAA: Windy Murder
DIA: Murder?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

a bone to pick posted:

Marines are basically anyone who is dumb enough to buy the whole uber-mesch toughest most heroic service bullshit.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
We should keep the Marines out at sea where they belong and occasionally have them blow up a country when we need them to.

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014

FirstPersonShitter posted:

man applewhite really bought into the commercial where the marine fights the dragon with a sword didn't he?

To be fair, sick commercial. It was like that ad for Zelda 2, but at the end the guy us wearing an even gayer costume than Link.

PerpetualSelf
Apr 6, 2015

by Ralp

Pivotal Lever posted:

Coming up on the 2yr anniversary of when Chris Kyle was taken from us.
I can honestly say I get the same sick feeling when I hear his name or read a post as I did when we got the call he was gone.
Gone but always in my family's heart.

Where is that copypasta from?

AxeBreaker
Jan 1, 2005
Who fucking cares?

Americas finest having an intellectual discussion on race:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63DORtkeIjQ

First Recon: The smart marines

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Moridin920 posted:

It's a love hate relationship. Like for example where I live there is a massive marine base (Pendleton). The locals love the economic boost and generally don't have a problem with individual soldiers, but everyone hates the marines who act like drunken jackasses every weekend.

I don't really have a huge problem with soldiers but it does just irritate me when they pretend like they're doing me some huge service.

For the most part people are pretty cool with soldiers. I don't like the occupation but I understand it's the best choice some people have.

Oceanside - an occupied territory.

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
because they have literally nothing else to brag about:
- protected average americans from harm? no
- learned valuable skills? no
- learned to be well-adjusted members of society? lol

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Gammatron 64 posted:

because the typical marine is a barely literate sociopath

also they generally have the darkest sense of humor possible and lying on the internet to piss off people like the OP

you're being trolled and you fell for it

limeincoke
Jul 3, 2005

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
Yo I served for 6 years. My 4 years in active were spent living in DC, "working" 3 hours a day for great pay, amazing benefits, and like 50 days of vacation days/holidays a year. My 2 years in the guard were spent getting drunk with my platoon sergeant and showing up 2 hours late.

For my noble sacrifices I received free college and the instant respect of everyone else in the country. Honor me for protecting your freedoms, fuckin civilians.

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

FirstPersonShitter posted:

uhh it was obviously a balor retard

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
like the entire basis of the military is undermining recruits' self-confidence (and replacing it with unflinching nationalism) until they're infinitely-malleable pieces of human clay that you can tell to put a .50 cal round into an afghani civilians head without talking back.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

limeincoke posted:

Yo I served for 6 years. My 4 years in active were spent living in DC, "working" 3 hours a day for great pay, amazing benefits, and like 50 days of vacation days/holidays a year. My 2 years in the guard were spent getting drunk with my platoon sergeant and showing up 2 hours late.

For my noble sacrifices I received free college and the instant respect of everyone else in the country. Honor me for protecting your freedoms, fuckin civilians.

How angry were you when you found out you would not get to murder anybody?

Marines are the dumbest of the dumb. They forgot the air force and navy exists and made their own idiot aircraft carriers.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

EmperorFritoBandito
Aug 7, 2010

by exmarx

[in British narrator voice] "Two weeks after the mating ritual the recruit will lay a clutch of eggs from which tiny marinelets will hatch and, within a mere eight-hour span, learn every skill they will possess in their entire lives. Thus goes the cycle of the military."

rabble rabble
Mar 24, 2015

Nap Ghost
thank u all for the explanation re: psyopmonkey

I always thought that navy commercial where they're like "AMERICA, WE OWN THE SEAS" was creepy as gently caress, and not patriotic at all. i just mean drat dude, how can you watch that and not be scared shitless of the global empire projecting it's will worldwide

glad i'm on this side is really what i'm saying here I guess

sorry I didn't read most of the thread

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]

Harald posted:

uhh it was obviously a balor retard

it was a lava elemental you loving dumb lord

alpaca diseases
May 19, 2009

probably because their proud of it, op

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

How are marines able to breath without loving it up?

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot
didn't read thread but everyone in tthe military is miserable and wishes misery on everyone else, hth

psyopmonkey
Nov 15, 2008

by Lowtax

Yaos posted:

How are marines able to breath without loving it up?

Alright... lemme go ahead and break it down barney style real quick...

naem
May 29, 2011

murdering

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.

limeincoke posted:

How did you avoid 100 hour work weeks and recurring injuries and having to sit in dumb seminars after everytime some guy hosed up his auto-erotic asphyxiation?

psyopmonkey
Nov 15, 2008

by Lowtax

Ronwayne posted:

How did you avoid 100 hour work weeks and recurring injuries and having to sit in dumb seminars after everytime some guy hosed up his auto-erotic asphyxiation?

Wow... Safety Briefs have changed.

:ohdear:

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.
My friend (MY UNCLE FROM NINTENDO) said dumb failed suicide attempts were instead reported as weird sex things to avoid endless suicide seminars.

EmperorFritoBandito
Aug 7, 2010

by exmarx

Ronwayne posted:

My friend (MY UNCLE FROM NINTENDO) said dumb failed suicide attempts were instead reported as weird sex things to avoid endless suicide seminars.

How can a soldier be trusted to kill others when the chips are down if they can't even get killing themselves right, why aren't we training these people better

plain blue jacket
Jan 13, 2014

IT DOESN'T STOP
IT NEVER STOPS

Ronwayne posted:

There must be many bitterly disappointed fetishists in the marine corp

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

psyopmonkey posted:

I post normal, sometimes humorous, things on this website. However, there are a bunch of weirdos who like to bring up that im trans all the time. I could understand if I was being a Tumblr'ina, but we can all see thats not the case from my profuse use of tranny jokes and crass self deprecating humor.

Insert cutting off dicks joke here.

TL;DR - Cats

Are you worried about how cutting off your dicks will affect your shitposting?

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

psyopmonkey posted:

Alright... lemme go ahead and break it down barney style real quick...

I just imagine them standing there, forgetting to exhale.

limeincoke
Jul 3, 2005

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion

Ronwayne posted:

Served in the Old Guard in a mortar platoon. If there wasn't a ceremony going on there was poo poo for us to do.

And once I became a squad leader that "3 hours" went down to "maybe 1 hour."

And once I was 5 months from ETSing that 1 hour went to "show up for formation and then say I have a appointment and disappear for the day."

psyopmonkey
Nov 15, 2008

by Lowtax

limeincoke posted:

Served in the Old Guard in a mortar platoon. If there wasn't a ceremony going on there was poo poo for us to do.

And once I became a squad leader that "3 hours" went down to "maybe 1 hour."

And once I was 5 months from ETSing that 1 hour went to "show up for formation and then say I have a appointment and disappear for the day."

The sham is strong with this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
i love how folks in the military use sham/shamming and then act like civilians dont get what it means

no, we get it, we understand the english language and even without a term for it we get that you are wasting our tax dollars doing nothing the majority of the time

• Locked thread