Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

NEED IMMEDIATE HELP? Call Veterans Crisis Line 1-800-273-8255 and press 1
or text 838255

Feeling alone & isolated?
Bored at work?
Unable to talk to someone who's been through the same poo poo as you?
Tired of dealing with the same old douchebags in GiP & willing to deal with another set of random douchebags?
Just feel chatty or want to brag about Tinder bitches?

GiP get help chat uses Google Hangouts. You can use your computer, tablet, iphone, or android smartphone with Google Hangouts.
If poo poo gets real with people feeling suicidal, we get serious & help out people in need.
Otherwise the hangout chat is basically Drunk Thread 69.0: NO MODS, NO MASTERS, NO COPS.

How Do you connect to the GiP Hangouts chat?

Step 1: Install the Google Hangouts app on whatever device you plan on using.
https://support.google.com/hangouts/?hl=en#topic=2944848

Installing Hangouts on iphone/Apple devices:
https://support.google.com/hangouts/answer/3144867?hl=en&ref_topic=3123340

Installing Hangouts on Windows(requires Google Chrome):
https://support.google.com/hangouts/answer/6101833?hl=en

Installing Hangouts on Android: Hangouts should be pre-installed if you are using a relatively new Android phone.
If you're confused, use this link:
https://support.google.com/hangouts/answer/3144919?hl=en&ref_topic=2944851

Step 2: Login into Google Hangouts app with a Google email address.
Non Google email addresses don't work, I HIGHLY ADVISE CREATING & USING A BURNER EMAIL ACCOUNT FOR THIS STEP.

Step 3: Get invited into the Gip Hangouts chat.
If you aren't a GiP regular, you'll be lightly vetted to rule out IDR* style shenanigans.

PM: Nostalgia4Dicks, Nostalgia4Butts, Nostalgia4Ass, ElMalgino, Pandasmores, Godholio, USMC503.
One of them is usually active in the Gip Hangout chat, and will let people in if you don't annoy us/don't have a history of being a douchebag on the SomethingAwful forums.
If you don't have PM's, post in this thread & someone should respond back to you relatively fast.

Step 4: SHITPOST as much as you feel like.

Step 5: Turn off notifications in chat otherwise you'll go insane from the constant alerts.

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

All drunk chat and dumb poo poo I say/post aside the hangouts has helped me out (multiple times) when I've been in dire need and needed an outlet, or just simply for venting. Arguably prevented unneeded medical visits. I only wish it was around sooner

Suffice as to say if you're on the fence, intimidated for some reason, or even think the idea of talking to a group of randoms about your poo poo is weird I urge you to please at least check it out. Whether or not you're a GIP regular or just lurking

Bring your charger with you though

IF YOU PM US ASKING FOR HANGOUTS ACCESS, AND GET NO RESPONSE BACK? WE HAVE NO IDEA WHO YOU ARE, GO POST IN GIP THREADS SO WE KNOW WHO YOU ARE....

[b]*who the gently caress is IDR?

Oh man, let me enlighten you with this link
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3551832%26userid=0%26perpage=40%26pagenumber=13

quantumfoam fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Jul 24, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

USMC503
Jan 15, 2012

For satisfactory performance while under the effects of hostile enemy alcohol.
Good thread. Good op.

Having this had been a blessing. RL issues were terrible (and really still are) and these guys listened to my E/N bullshit and still do when others won't.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
Also a great place to share classified information and tinder screen shots

Edward Snowden stops by from time to time

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
800-273-8255 Press 1

Suicide hotline.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
I need to get on this again.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

I am not a belligerent drunk, but I am a huge belligerent nerd on the chat

I also have a huge hater boner against people with genetic defects against lactose

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
2%, best percent.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
Can anyone tell me about managing multiple google accts (ie a burner) on an android phone for hangouts purposes?

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Zeris posted:

Can anyone tell me about managing multiple google accts (ie a burner) on an android phone for hangouts purposes?

managing multiple accounts is dead simple on a android device. gonna describe it in the hangouts

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
One you've added a new Google account from your phone's settings, open up Hangouts and open the menu by swiping from the left side of the screen. The little circles at the top each represent an account, and you can tap them to switch. You'll get notifications for all accounts regardless of which is selected.

To change notifications, go to Settings from the menu, then select the account to change. You'll see several options that you can fiddle with. You can snooze all notifications for an account with a button on the menu, or for an individual hangout by pressing and holding, then hitting the snooze button that pops up at the top right.

Switching accounts works the same way in Gmail, also.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

someone is going through some poo poo right now. login & helpout if you want.
gently caress you if you dont'

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001
Trying.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

issue semi resolved. the parents of the person going through issues arrived, and nothing bad happened.
thanks to the people who logged in.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

All drunk chat and dumb poo poo I say/post aside the hangouts has helped me out (multiple times) when I've been in dire need and needed an outlet, or just simply for venting. Arguably prevented unneeded medical visits. I only wish it was around sooner

Suffice as to say if you're on the fence, intimidated for some reason, or even think the idea of talking to a group of randoms about your poo poo is weird I urge you to please at least check it out. Whether or not you're a GIP regular or just lurking

Bring your phone charger with you though

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

quoting you in the OP N4Dicks.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

Bring your phone charger with you though

Are non-vets welcome?

USMC503
Jan 15, 2012

For satisfactory performance while under the effects of hostile enemy alcohol.

Shooting Blanks posted:

Are non-vets welcome?

If you need help, yes.

If you don't and you want to help, sure so long as you don't plan to be a dick/can put up with our bullshit and banter.

I've seen your username before so unless I'm a complete idiot and/or have memory problems (at least one of those things is true so bear with me) your a GiP regular (copgoon?), so I'd be fine with it.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Shooting Blanks posted:

Are non-vets welcome?

Yeah of course USMC summed it up pretty much. Are you cool? Do you mind me posting my e/n life story? Do you mind drunk chat? Do you care if dudes post pics of their legs while making GBS threads? Guess what you're good

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Apr 28, 2015

MaxPowers
Dec 29, 2004
Had a mini panic attack after a math test. Luckily had a meeting with the vet councilor shortly afterwards about a career path and he helped me calm down and get in touch with a disabilities department that would help with my situation. Cant stress enough how much help he was. Pretty sure if I had went home after that test I would have torn my room apart in anger over a silly test.

I guess I should seek some help with some issues and was wondering if there's a way to get help for ptsd with out claiming it? I have to much invested in gun culture too lose it all.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

MaxPowers posted:

Had a mini panic attack....
I guess I should seek some help with some issues and was wondering if there's a way to get help for ptsd with out claiming it?

You've been reinvited to the new gip hangout.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

updated OP with a clarification.

quote:

IF YOU PM US ASKING FOR HANGOUTS ACCESS, AND GET NO RESPONSE BACK? WE HAVE NO IDEA WHO YOU ARE, GO POST IN GIP THREADS SO WE KNOW WHO YOU ARE....

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Just looking for an invite to bullshit.

Knun366@gmail.com

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

You're added

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

Add me please. nostalgia4murder@gmail.com

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Done

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
Can I get an invite to the group as well? duzzy.funlop.prolapse@gmail.com

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Can I get an invite to the group as well?

Added.

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

Re-invite plz. Didn't get it.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Nostalgia4Murder posted:

I see you under "nostalgia4murder@gmail.com" (spelled that way), so unless its the wrong spelling you are already in :shrug:

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Nostalgia4Murder posted:

Check your account, I think there's something wrong with it. Your e-mail doesn't come up under search anymore.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Nostalgia4Murder posted:

You were already in the hangouts under a different gmail address....original invite sent on Jan 17, 2015 at 02:06 to zombiexxxx@gmail.
Switch to your other gmail accounts & check for new invites.

Richard Bong
Dec 11, 2008
I would also like to be added richard.bong.sa@gmail.com

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Richard Bong posted:

I would also like to be added richard.bong.sa@gmail.com

Added.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
I've been pushing down all the loving poo poo inside me, all that crap and anger and sadness from my Iraq deployment. I'm acting like a bitch on the forums right now, because stupidly I feel like this is the only place I have to talk to people who know what the gently caress I'm talking about but I'm letting poo poo get to me way too easily. Instead of getting help and taking some meds. The loving VA is god drat worthless, I walked up to the therapy department the VA hospital near me, both times this shithead told me it was only for people currently suicidal RIGHT NOW. One of my buddies that lives near me seems to not want to talk or hang out (or he's just busy, I don't know). The other one I didn't even know he was out and living near me loving killed himself. I tried calling a therapist closer to me, he was trying to get me off the phone as fast as possible and just said I need to verify with the VA that they'll pay for his services with me. I don't know what the gently caress to do. I'm just holding everything deep down inside, and it all comes out as raging anger at poo poo I shouldn't get that mad about. About the only reason I haven't put that bullet in my head is to take care of my girlfriend and her daughter. Kid calls me her dad and I've been the only real dad she's had in her life. I need some loving help and I feel like no one gives a gently caress, so then I just don't give a gently caress and try to keep on going each day. gently caress.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Are you on Hangouts Mike? If not PM me your e-mail address. Come chat with us.

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

I haven't caught up on threads much lately. Are you okay Mike-O?

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
I got help in the hangout, I'm good now.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
Also I bugged the ever living gently caress out of the VA and finally got appointments for a psychiatrist and psychologist. Hopefully they don't suck. Well, I actually know the psychiatrist, she's good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Adding Veterans Crisis Line # to OP.
For Immediate Assistance Call:

1-800-273-8255 and press 1

• Locked thread