Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
evilbastard
Mar 6, 2003

Hair Elf
I think the best thing from it is that it had some surprises in the script, rather than going with any of the existing plotlines for marketability :

Angst : Banner and Romanov being close to a couple, that was unexpected , as was Barton having a normal family and life on the side.

Big Special Effect : The big comic book fight with all the heroes charging through the snow actually the pre-credits scene, meanwhile the the whole floating city thing was never in any trailer.

Hydra : Well, Strucker was in the movie a long time, wasn't he. That seems to be the last of the traditional Hydra leaders, now that Viper, Strucker, Kraken and Red Skull are all gone, so they may be going back for a SHEILD are the good guys again.

Whedonesque Character deathThe character death is a ho-hum rather then a big one - I spent the whole movie wondering when they were going to kill of Rhodey Rhodes/Warmachine, only for him to survive

It's nice that they took the problem that "Hawkeye is out of place on this team", addressed it in dialogue and then went with it. It helps that there was a little bit of Hawkguy-style humor in there, and he's not the boring character he was in the first movie.

The movie did hurt a bit in that Joss Whedon got a new shipment of action figures to bang around, and decided they should all be in the movie. OK, Warmachine and Falcon had to be in there for the end, but adding them in at the start slowed the movie down. Vision had to get introduced with some character beats, but they needed to spend more time explaining why we should care abnout the character, rather then "Hey Look, it's Vision. Everyone Cheer". Adding Peggy Carter ? Heimdall ? Selvig and the dreaming pool ? Klaw could have been replaced with a nameless mook all this could have been cut out with no loss at all.

Future :

Agents of Shield The fact that the whole Ulton thing is Eastern Europe will make it easier for Agents of Shield to roll with it, so I doubt we'll see the same sort of major realignment that fixed the show in the first place. They'll just keep plodding along to the Inhumans movie.

Captain America 3 : Civil War Some seeds sown here, it seems that Rodgers / Stark friendship has sailed, and it's now down to professional courtesy. Chris Evans 6 movie contract will be up for Captain America 4 : Serpent Society, so Buckycap seems a go.

Avengers 3 - infinity War So Thor and Iron Man are off the table. Thor might make it out of Thor : Ragnarok, but if he does he will die in Infinity War Part 1. If you squint the hammer joke in this movie could be a setup for Female Thor, but although it would be nice to have a movie where the big hitters are Captain Marvel and Female Thor, in reality Disney will go for a traditional team for marketing. It does depend on where they go with Vision, as he seems to not be the traditional intangible pacifist character, but at this time Earth's Mightiest heroes are pretty weak on the ground :

Hulk <->
Thor <-> ?
Captain America <-> Captain America
Hawkeye <-> Hawkguy
Romanov <-> Romanov
Iron Man <-> War Machine, Vision and Falcon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Is Age of Ultron actually just a ruse and the film is really just a remake of Lawnmower Man?

Twat Nosferatu
Aug 14, 2008

Colonel Whitey posted:

If these films represent the dark times for Marvel then I can't loving wait for the good times.

No loving poo poo.

Modus Operandi
Oct 5, 2010

Mordiceius posted:

Is Age of Ultron actually just a ruse and the film is really just a remake of Lawnmower Man?

Age of Ultron didn't have the bad computer graphics sex scene in it though.

Ghost Head
Sep 16, 2008

evilbastard posted:

Avengers 3 - infinity War So Thor and Iron Man are off the table. Thor might make it out of Thor : Ragnarok, but if he does he will die in Infinity War Part 1. If you squint the hammer joke in this movie could be a setup for Female Thor, but although it would be nice to have a movie where the big hitters are Captain Marvel and Female Thor, in reality Disney will go for a traditional team for marketing. It does depend on where they go with Vision, as he seems to not be the traditional intangible pacifist character, but at this time Earth's Mightiest heroes are pretty weak on the ground :

you mean iron man and hulk? they decide to lay low at the end because of all the poo poo they caused but we don't know what will ultimately happen to Thor.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Modus Operandi posted:

Yes, Ultron's powers and his final plan didn't really make sense with how they explained it.
Wanda and Pietro's motives were also a little weak. So their parents were killed by a Stark weapon - shouldn't they go after the people who fired it? I wonder how many death threats Mikhail Kalashnikov got.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Was the movie good

Ghost Head
Sep 16, 2008

Baron Bifford posted:

Wanda and Pietro's motives were also a little weak. So their parents were killed by a Stark weapon - shouldn't they go after the people who fired it? I wonder how many death threats Mikhail Kalashnikov got.

I don't know anything about Mikhail Kalashnikov and whether he was similar to Tony Stark in any way, but the twins' motives to me at least didn't feel weak. I probably would have felt the same way as them.

Zzulu posted:

Was the movie good

I loving loved it. One of the most fun experiences I've had at the movies

Ghost Head fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Apr 22, 2015

Ghost Head
Sep 16, 2008
Edit: woops

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Zzulu posted:

Was the movie good

It's basically competent, but nothing special.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
What he means is that we're used to good stuff from Marvel Studios now, and AoU may not be the best good work they've done.

Ghost Head
Sep 16, 2008

Baron Bifford posted:

What he means is that we're used to good stuff from Marvel Studios now, and AoU may not be the best good work they've done.

which marvel movies are as good as age of ultron in your opinion?

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
I think Winter Soldier is superior.

Ghost Head
Sep 16, 2008

Baron Bifford posted:

I think Winter Soldier is superior.

you know, i have a soft spot for winter soldier. I really, REALLY loving liked that movie. I want to say Age of Ultron was better but maybe that's just because I just saw it? I'd have to sleep on it.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
I really, really, really don't get why people love Winter Soldier. It's not annoying as much as it's fascinating to me. But that's another discussion - well, except that the people behind it are doing Infinity Gauntlet.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

ufarn posted:

I really, really, really don't get why people love Winter Soldier. It's not annoying as much as it's fascinating to me. But that's another discussion - well, except that the people behind it are doing Infinity Gauntlet.

I get it. It's tough to enjoy something when there aren't any fart jokes.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Spoil me. Post credits sequence is...

Whoolighams
Jul 24, 2007
Thanks Dom Monaghan
It's funny, on the forums some are accusing people of already deciding it's terrible garbage before seeing it while almost everywhere else I've seen people getting super hype already convinced it's the best poo poo. For example, when the first round of hyperbolic twitter reactions came out, the one dude that said (paraphrasing) it was overstuffed and middling was immediately trashed and dismissed in every comments section I saw. Not talking poo poo on either group, just funny.

I'm not expecting much, hopefully it's an improvement and decent to see on the big screen when stoned to the bone. I saw Modus Operandi praised the 3D, anybody else that's seen it have a recommendation either way?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Infinitum posted:

Spoil me. Post credits sequence is...

I thought they said already that it was Thanos picking up his stone-less infinity gauntlet and saying "I guess it's time to get them myself" or something.

Ghost Head
Sep 16, 2008

Whoolighams posted:

It's funny, on the forums some are accusing people of already deciding it's terrible garbage before seeing it while almost everywhere else I've seen people getting super hype already convinced it's the best poo poo. For example, when the first round of hyperbolic twitter reactions came out, the one dude that said (paraphrasing) it was overstuffed and middling was immediately trashed and dismissed in every comments section I saw. Not talking poo poo on either group, just funny.

I'm not expecting much, hopefully it's an improvement and decent to see on the big screen when stoned to the bone. I saw Modus Operandi praised the 3D, anybody else that's seen it have a recommendation either way?

it is a bit overstuffed with respect to thor's role especially. that kind of ties into vision's role too. But the other plotlines seemed natural to me.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

Ghost Head posted:

it is a bit overstuffed with respect to thor's role especially. that kind of ties into vision's role too. But the other plotlines seemed natural to me.

If Thor actually has a substantial part in this (cuz he sure didn't in the first one) that would be the first thing that's interested me in seeing it. Poor Thor, he wasn't even the main character in his own sequel.

Ghost Head
Sep 16, 2008

Harime Nui posted:

If Thor actually has a substantial part in this (cuz he sure didn't in the first one) that would be the first thing that's interested me in seeing it. Poor Thor, he wasn't even the main character in his own sequel.

it's substantial, maybe the most substantial thing in the whole movie. but they blow through it really quickly.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Zzulu posted:

Was the movie good

Absolutly. Def got some problems but more than makes up for them elsewhere.

I cant wait to see if my guess where the helicarrier came from is right and whether it was Coulson or Gonzalez who is Fury "friend"

madey
Sep 17, 2007

I saved the Olympics singlehandedly
I don't care just spoil me. How old is Ultron?

Ghost Head
Sep 16, 2008

madey posted:

I don't care just spoil me. How old is Ultron?

by the very end of the film? A few days. It's very, VERY briefly touched upon as a weakness in his view of things. Ultron's character is very strange and unique and hard to explain without spoiling anything. I found him to be an excellent villain and I hope that he returns in phase 4.

madey
Sep 17, 2007

I saved the Olympics singlehandedly

Ghost Head posted:

by the very end of the film? A few days. It's very, VERY briefly touched upon as a weakness in his view of things. Ultron's character is very strange and unique and hard to explain without spoiling anything. I found him to be an excellent villain and I hope that he returns in phase 4.

Oh. Its weird to me that they would name the film after something so inconsequential.

Modus Operandi
Oct 5, 2010

ufarn posted:

Asking people if they liked Guardians of the Galaxy or Winter Soldier more gives you kind of a good idea of what sort of tone they like in their comic book movie.

GoG was more fantasy sci-fi and pretty lighthearted throughout.

Winter Soldier is Captain America meets Bourne.

Winter Soldier is pretty unique. It's the first time we see a more serious cold war thriller/Spy film integrated in with the superhero genre. It's really different in tone from CA 1 too which still had a lot of very camp moments.

Modus Operandi
Oct 5, 2010
I really did like how they shifted the focus on the "less" popular members of the team. Hawkeye really feels like a fully formed superhero with a personality now with a purpose on the team.

They definitely could have explained what the hell Thor was doing a little better too.

He climbs into a pool of water in a cave with a box then strips naked so he can show off his glistening abs and then has some kind of mystic revelation that enables to see what is going to happen or something. It's very odd.

Ghost Head
Sep 16, 2008

madey posted:

Oh. Its weird to me that they would name the film after something so inconsequential.

Not sure if you're trolling, but what ultron learns in that short period is enough to make him an almost incomprehensible threat.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Ghost Head posted:

Not sure if you're trolling, but what ultron learns in that short period is enough to make him an almost incomprehensible threat.

Pretty sure he's making a joke about the movie's subtitle, the age of ultron

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Away all Goats posted:

Pretty sure he's making a joke about the movie's subtitle, the age of ultron

Avengers; 2 - The Age of Ultron

pissedoffcrawdad
Jul 21, 2006

Modus Operandi posted:

The new team at the end is Falcon, Vision, Scarlet Witch with Cap and BW there to instruct them. There's no surprise at all when you see who's left because various characters leave to attend to personal matters. No black panther.

War Machine was there at the end too, right? I'm asking seriously: I saw this at the end of the 29-hour "Ultimate Marvel Marathon" last night, so I could have been hallucinating.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

pissedoffcrawdad posted:

War Machine was there at the end too, right? I'm asking seriously: I saw this at the end of the 29-hour "Ultimate Marvel Marathon" last night, so I could have been hallucinating.

Yes. Cap, Black Widow, Scarlet Witch, War Machine, Falcon, Vision.

Shards of Fate
Apr 19, 2002

They look like monsters to you?
Although I liked the movie. I really hate how Whedon shoots the movie like a TV show. All the framing and angles just screams TV.

Modus Operandi
Oct 5, 2010

Shards of Fate posted:

Although I liked the movie. I really hate how Whedon shoots the movie like a TV show. All the framing and angles just screams TV.

I'd say he's gotten better with this.

There were many T.V. moments in Avengers 1 that reminded me of Firefly. Like the top down view of the quinjet as the camera shakes and the mediocre camera work while they are just standing around talking.

He's gotten a lot more creative with the cinematic zooms. There was that one shot where it zooms straight out of the Iron Man HUD and into the battle that was really cool. There were many other very creative shots too but it's hard to remember them all.

Modus Operandi
Oct 5, 2010

pissedoffcrawdad posted:

Beaten, but my bad did not mean to leave out one of the most awesome side characters.

ExplodingSquid
Aug 11, 2008

I just saw this last night and I loved it. I feel it's going to take a few watches to let it all sink in there as there is just so much going on. So many characters on screen at once.

Kind of like Guardians though, each watch will bring up something new.

Vision blew me away, such an intriguing character.

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS

Modus Operandi posted:

Winter Soldier is pretty unique. It's the first time we see a more serious cold war thriller/Spy film integrated in with the superhero genre.

I'm convinced people only believe this because the director said the movie was influenced by The Parallax View. It doesn't show in the loving slightest.

Modus Operandi
Oct 5, 2010

Tomahawk posted:

I'm convinced people only believe this because the director said the movie was influenced by The Parallax View. It doesn't show in the loving slightest.

Not really. I didn't know anything about the director, didn't watch the trailer, or anything before going in and I got that vibe from it. In fact I thought it was going to be just as mediocre as C.A. 1. It's very cold war thriller-ish. I don't know how that's hard to see?

To me it seems more Frankenheimer though in many ways.

Modus Operandi fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Apr 23, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Tomahawk posted:

It's a preposterous notion that doesn't hold up under the slightest scrutiny.

• Locked thread