Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Drifter posted:

It's dark times in the Marvelverse when the best/most competent movie is a sequel to Captain America, of all things.

Captain America owns though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

weekly font posted:

Good. Between Daredevil, Batman and Superman the waah waah should I kill conflict is dead.
Nah it works with Daredevil because he's Catholic Guilt the superhero

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Just got back. God drat, that's mah jam.

Where the hell was Falcon during the rescue op? Like I know he mentioned earlier that the Avengers saving-the-world-schtick wasn't quite his cup of tea during the party, but rescuing falling civilians seemed like a pretty good cameo spot for him to be included in before his reveal as a member of the Avengers Initiative at the end. Especially when you had Warmachine flying about offering aerial support.

Everything about the Vision was awesome. They don't even need to explain his density shifting, just straight up phasing hands through Ultrons and loving em up. Loved that they included what seemed like a nice subtle nod to the Witch/Vision relationship with her rescue at the end
Also was I imagining things or earlier on in the movie was there an extremely brief flash of a closeup of the Visions eyes? I can't even remember the exact part it happened, but it looked a lot more like Visions eyes than Ultrons.

Is there an interview anywhere where they explain the weird naming conventions Stark has for all his equipment now? Hulkbuster was Vanessa or something... Random scottish replacement for Jarvis was F.R.I.D.A.Y.?...

The Biggest Jerk
Nov 25, 2012
The most surprising part of the movie was Ultron himself. Completely ignored the trailers so I dunno if they had much of his voice or personality in there, but the voice actor who did him did a fantastic job when he could have just passed off as *beep*boop stereotypical threatening deep voice.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Ultron is awesome because he's both child-like and god-like at the same time. He can effortlessly switch his consciousness between bodies so he always comes across as merely annoyed or inconvenienced when things don't go his way, such as when he gets thrown back out of the Quinjet "For GODS sake!", but then you these child-like hissy fits of anger when compared to Stark.

I went in expecting a sort of Dalek/Cybermen EXTERMINATE/YOU WILL BE ASSIMILATED personality, and instead got that awesome performance.

Sanzio037
Dec 9, 2013
Thor is the best. He is a God, soo...

Sir Nose
Mar 28, 2009

Infinitum posted:

Ultron is awesome because he's both child-like and god-like at the same time.

Yeah, that describes Spader nicely.

Viginti
Feb 1, 2015
I understand why Whedon came out of this one feeling a little down on the Marvel experience, it's a pretty fun film with some nice moments but kind of pointless, even within the scope of the Marvel Universe. Avengers escalated things to a point that none of the single hero films had reached, this, this was just kind of that again and didn't so much set things up for the next film as it did spin the wheels until that film comes. I don't think its coincidence that there are three jokes in the script about characters stalling for time.

The Hawkguy stuff was the best, for sure, especially as someone familiar with Whedon's traditional approach to sending off characters. It's a little strange though to leave a movie like this and feel that the best scenes were those of characters chatting on a couch or relaxing in a farm. I don't know if the action simply wasn't directed well enough or if they had just done so little to set-it up but none of the fights had much impact. This trope of infinite expendable enemies that die in one punch is not an overly satisfying one to me, a one-on-one duel or at least a battle where we know the skills and strength of the combatants is always going to be better. I don't think I knew at any point how powerful the Ultron's were, how many different models of Ultrons there were, what the differences between them were, etc. I don't know how you are meant to have stakes when you don't establish threats except by shape?

Ultron himself was cool, when we got him. I sort of feel like the trailer did a better job of explaining him and his motivations than the film did. In particular the 'strings' thing probably won't play as well if you somehow missed that clip. Spader was great, his obsession with God was interesting but ultimately he wasn't given much time to exist. In retrospect choosing Loki to be the villain of the first film makes a lot more sense; there's simply not enough time even in a massively long movie like this to build up the new characters.

Whedon definitely seems to work better as a writer than director, and specifically as a writer of longer stories. So while I'm a fan I'm also glad to see him go. If he wants to make a Netflix series for Marvel that would be great, but I don't know that this was the dream team that it initially seemed.

Viginti fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Apr 23, 2015

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
I don't know where people come off bashing Whedon's direction, it looked perfectly fine and cinematic to me. Sure, I doubt he'll be winning any prizes but his work is perfectly serviceable.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Tomahawk posted:

I'm convinced people only believe this because the director said the movie was influenced by The Parallax View. It doesn't show in the loving slightest.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

It's a preposterous notion that doesn't hold up under the slightest scrutiny.

Yeah seriously; the political thriller it most resembles is fuckin Return Of The Jedi.

bullet3
Nov 8, 2011

Baron Bifford posted:

I don't know where people come off bashing Whedon's direction, it looked perfectly fine and cinematic to me. Sure, I doubt he'll be winning any prizes but his work is perfectly serviceable.

Ya, I mean what were people expecting from a movie with a 200 million dollar budget. For it to look serviceable, that's what.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Tomahawk posted:

I'm convinced people only believe this because the director said the movie was influenced by The Parallax View. It doesn't show in the loving slightest.

The key phrase there is integrated with the superhero genre. It's still bluntly a superhero movie, it's just a fair bit darker and a little headier than they typically get and that goes a surprisingly long ways.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Are there any catch-up montage videos so I don't have to rewatch 29 hours of marvel before I go see A2?

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

bowmore posted:

Are there any catch-up montage videos so I don't have to rewatch 29 hours of marvel before I go see A2?

Age of Ultron happily ignores almost everything that came before. So long as you have a vague idea of who each Avenger is, you'll be fine.

Ghost Head
Sep 16, 2008

bowmore posted:

The Winter Soldier is the most important movie to see leading into Ago of Ultron. I don't think anything else is required viewing.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

bowmore posted:

Yep

http://youtu.be/uPYnbcqqiZY

I expect more of these to pop up soon too.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
How does the movie deal with Stark exploding all his suits at the end of 3?

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Response to previous:
It kind of doesn't. He's a little obsessed with replacing himself with an automated system, but he's perfectly happy to use the suit in the meantime.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Thanks guys! I'm excites to see the movie tomorrow and i'll probably love it!

Viginti
Feb 1, 2015
Who was the voice of the new A.I.? It would be unlike Marvel to hire a nobody - they hired Bettany to voice Jarvis in the first movie - but I couldn't place it and don't want to just racistly pick out the names of Scottish/Irish actresses. What's the over/under on her becoming a superhero a few films down the road?

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.
The movie is very enjoyable and I love how Whedon uses slow-motion to create comic-panel like dioramas of the fight scenes. Especially at the end when they are all standing around the drill/weapon thingy to protect if from Ultron

On the death of Quicksilver. I loved the scene because to me during the whole final act (the fight in Eastern Europe) I was going like "okay, Hawkeye is a gonner", because he had so many scenes with his family and how they don't want him to die. But than, whooosh, Quicksilver rescues him from certain death and the movie from a boring, telegraphed deathscene. Very Wedonesque and very enjoyable.

On the twins motivation : I think it's important to keep in mind that they were also indoctrinated by Hydra for quite some time. The shelling of their city was a very traumatic experience for the young (I believe they said 10y old) children, and looking at a bomb with the name "STARK" on it for 2-3 days while you just lost your parents and expect to die any second because of this bomb will probably give you some issues that Hydra can easily exploit.

On Ultrons "stupid" plan : He wants humanity to evolve and thats why he plans to create an extinction level event - mirroring what is believed to have wiped out the dinosaurs - to force humans to evolve into a "better" race. That's why creating an army of killer-robots to wipe out humanity would be rather contrary to his goals - which, it's important to keep in mind, are not really that well programmed into him anyways, as that's the source of his malfunctioning.

On previous films playing a role: It seems to me that Winter Soldier forced the Avengers to spin-off from the SHIELD brand and create their own brand to fight Hydra/threats to earth, run by Cap and financed by Tony. Maria Hill is probably a driving force behind this program, as she said at the end of Winter Soldier that she will apply for a job with Stark Industries. Thor's movie isn't that important, it only explains why Thor is hanging out on earth.

All in all it's another great Marvel movie that is very "dense" in the sense that there is very little wasted time, either you enjoy the character interactions/quips or there is a fantastic action sequence going on.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
I preferred Winter Soldier to this. Just felt like a retread of Assemble but with them split up instead of being recruited and a different villain.

Ghost Head
Sep 16, 2008

Carecat posted:

I preferred Winter Soldier to this. Just felt like a retread of Assemble but with them split up instead of being recruited and a different villain.

I don't really agree. The first avengers was basically them all getting together and kicking the big bad guys rear end and high fiving and showing why Nick Fury's plan to have these guys work together completely worked. This one did the exact opposite. It brought way more personal conflict to the surface and really elaborated on the problems that prevent this team from staying together.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!

Infinitum posted:

Also was I imagining things or earlier on in the movie was there an extremely brief flash of a closeup of the Visions eyes? I can't even remember the exact part it happened, but it looked a lot more like Visions eyes than Ultrons.

I thought I saw a flash of Vision's eyes during Thor's nightmare, maybe it was that.

All said it was alright, yeah. More Avengers innit. Wanda, Pietro and Vision were all done well. I really liked how Wandas movements were creepy and a bit off, the little lights creeping into peoples homes and telling them to leave, it was all very witchy, and then after her big I Am An Avenger moment they were more balletic and grandiose.

There was a huge amount of Man of Steel in Vision's DNA I thought, he looked great.

And loving lol that the tensest scene in the film was mostly tense due to cars, and that Captain America was saved by cars what, 5 or 6 times? They were constantly catching him or launching him into the air or cushioning his fall. The slightly weird Avengers/Cars thing is still intact.

The character interactions were a bit hit and miss. Thor and Cap having 3 or 4 Team Up Special Moves was fun, I could imagine those two, being warriors/soldiers, coming up with different variations of 'powerful hammer, unbreakable shield' tricks together.. Thor and Vision were fantastic together. Vision getting woken up by a god-spark, the cape to emulate Thor, him potentially being the first of a new race or even a technological god created in humanity's image and again, him and Thor teaming up with a special move using the hammer, all good stuff. All that chat about this being 'Hawkeye's movie' is bollocks, but the line "I've always supported your avenging" was genuinely funny.

At the bad end, the early dialogue with them just hanging at Avengers tower was bad. It normally falls flat in the comics too but still. And the Banner/Romanov romance was just terrible. Half the time it was difficult to parse what the interaction actually was, and his sudden 'be a mad scientist' and 'fly away' turns were just shite, such obvious plot contrivances.

Oh and if you are really into the idea that Tony and Cap are in love with each other then there is lots of fodder for your tumblr in this.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
I liked it quite a bit.

I would put it 4 on my list of MCU films, beneath The Winter Soldier, Guardians of the Galaxy and Iron Man, in that order.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Infinitum posted:

Everything about the Vision was awesome. They don't even need to explain his density shifting, just straight up phasing hands through Ultrons and loving em up. Loved that they included what seemed like a nice subtle nod to the Witch/Vision relationship with her rescue at the end

yeah it was when thor was getting mindfucked. you see a brief shot of 4 infinity gems and then a flash of his eyes/face, i guess this was whatever telling thor that vision was boss and a total bro. That loving hammer moment was amazing, everyone in our theatre freaked the gently caress out, which is a rare thing for a uk audience.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
"Oh for God's sake."

Ultron's voice actor was amazing. :allears:

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

poptart_fairy posted:

"Oh for God's sake."

Ultron's voice actor was amazing. :allears:

You should check out The Blacklist if you haven't, it's full of that sort of stuff.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Yeah, I've been going over the guy's acting history to see what else he's been in. Dude looks nothing like what I'd expected.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Deaderinred posted:

yeah it was when thor was getting mindfucked. you see a brief shot of 4 infinity gems and then a flash of his eyes/face, i guess this was whatever telling thor that vision was boss and a total bro. That loving hammer moment was amazing, everyone in our theatre freaked the gently caress out, which is a rare thing for a uk audience.

The woman sitting next to me actually pulled a :magical: at that moment. It was such a brilliant out-of-nowhere moment.

A drat good movie anyway. I'd probably put it #3 behind Winter Soldier and GotG.

twistedbutterfly
Jan 20, 2007
Does the film deal with Jane Foster at all? I ask since Thor is shacking it up with her I assumed she might be in the film.

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

twistedbutterfly posted:

Does the film deal with Jane Foster at all? I ask since Thor is shacking it up with her I assumed she might be in the film.

The same way as the first film did, mentioned but not seen.

Sir Nose
Mar 28, 2009

Questions about the implications of the mid-credit scene--

Isn't the Infinity Gauntlet kept in Asgard? Is this a teaser that Thanos will figure prominently in Thor 3?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
This movie was great. Mostly as good as the first one with better cinematography and worse writing in the dramatic moments - not that the first one really had any, which was probably a strength if anything. So much of this movie is miles above any other Marvel flick (with the exception of the first Avengers) but then the emotional scenes are right back on the same level. The whole "prey on their hopes/fears" thing was done in the most cliched way possible, ya know? But the humour and small character moments were great. Loved Ultron's overall personality (Spader killed it) but agreed with many that the plan was idiotic, although somewhat less idiotic than the "shoot millions and millions of people all over the world from the sky with machine guns but only these specific people" plan from Winter Soldier.

Too many hilarious moments to count but Quicksilver failing to lift the hammer was a highlight.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Bown posted:

Too many hilarious moments to count but Quicksilver failing to lift the hammer was a highlight.

"You two finished playing hide the cucumber?" Then you remember that gif.. and urgh..

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I also liked Thor and Tony both trying to say their girlfriend was better

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

The woman sitting next to me actually pulled a :magical: at that moment. It was such a brilliant out-of-nowhere moment..
I think I went to the bathroom when this happened I think because I can't recall any hammer scene. What part was it?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Pierson posted:

I think I went to the bathroom when this happened I think because I can't recall any hammer scene. What part was it?

It's when Vision first reveals himself, they're all extremely distrustful and he says something like "I'm not Jarvis, I'm not Ultron, but I'll fight with you. Now let's go" and then out of nowhere he just hands Thor the hammer and everyone's all "well okay that's that then"

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Drifter posted:

It's dark times in the Marvelverse when the best/most competent movie is a sequel to Captain America, of all things.

Didn't realize Guardians was a sequel to Captain America. You do learn something new every day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ein Bear
Mar 26, 2010

Oh Sirrah, how deliciously absurd!
Poor Thor never gets anything cool to do.

I was excited for a second when I thought he was going to be the one who gets the big final fight against the 'main' Ultron body. But nope, he gets choked and Vision has to save him with his own hammer.

• Locked thread