Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kacie
Nov 11, 2010

Imagining a Brave New World
Ramrod XTreme
Just caught up - enjoying this immensely. The illustrations are great and really bring out the game's descriptions. (Although good grief, the paintings needed no help in being vivid and awful.)

I love Lovecraft's work, but I get very frustrated with IF 'find the verb' and illogical/strange puzzle solutions. I'm so glad you're playing this for us!

Can you play the flute to get the violin to play more?

Show the curiosity shop owner all the weird stuff you have! Especially the flute, the puzzle box, and the locket. And see what they know about the Verlacs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kacie
Nov 11, 2010

Ramrod XTreme
Can you tell us what Michael would have said, if we asked about the mud?

Poor guy. :(

Can we follow his footprints outside to see where he's been?

Kacie
Nov 11, 2010

Ramrod XTreme
We've got that oily lens-like object in our trench coat - try putting it in the telescope slot.

Kacie
Nov 11, 2010

Ramrod XTreme
Can we show Mum's locket to the creature and ward it off?

I'm guessing that won't work.

How about opening the well and possibly hiding in it when the sounds start?

And of course, visit the university library!

I'd wanted to see where Michael had been, but lazy when someone else posted to go to the woods.

Kacie
Nov 11, 2010

Ramrod XTreme
Run East, Miranda, don't wait!

Maybe you'll end up at the shanty town where you can show Jeffrey's teddy bear to his mum.

Kacie
Nov 11, 2010

Ramrod XTreme
Old Grey Guy's map (oh thank you for making a map!) says we can get to: the empty lot, a chilly avenue, the court house, the dark corner -> asylum.

We could see if our friend the bum is in the empty lot; probably not. He seemed keen on getting out of dodge.

I forget - did we ever do/get anything from the chilly avenue?

Maybe the court house will have some help for us?

And we could always try to get asylum in the asylum...

Kacie
Nov 11, 2010

Ramrod XTreme

quote:

Smear fish oil on rusty hinges

...and this is why I am terrible with text adventures (or Interactive Fiction for the hip kids). I would never have thought to do that. Hide in the well from the Dunwich Horror, slot the weird black lens into the telescope, all the great Lovecraftian bits - yes. Have the brilliant sideways leaps of intuition or try everything in my inventory at every opportunity to hit on this sort of thing? Nope, I suck at that.

Is Claudia a native? Because otherwise, she's an amazing scholar/detective to have put all that together. That's a hell of a lot of unpaid overtime investigative work over a long time, to put that all together! I would have been a bit more satisfied if the info dump came from the university somehow, but there is a solid "return to the beginning" connection this way, and Claudia made the (nearly) ultimate sacrifice. 'tis churlish to complain about her investigative skills; perhaps she always dreamed of being a detective.

Also satisfying to prove her "I hope that husband gets things saved" assumption wrong - go Miranda!

Standing request to return the teddy to poor Mum, whenever convenient.

Seconding wear the robe to go incognito if that helps.

If we are on the right side of the river, visit the university library.

Feels like we don't have what we need yet, to go to the lighthouse - but if we're out of options, maybe we can find something there?

Kacie
Nov 11, 2010

Ramrod XTreme
I feel really badly for that woman. :(

Nicely written, game.

Kacie
Nov 11, 2010

Ramrod XTreme
Seconding the above ideas. If the valve is rusty, then use that stupid fish oil on it, too.

And if the valve doesn't work, try dashing in and pulling the handle using the towel, meat hook, or umbrella handle. Then dash back to safety, let the steam blast, then rush back down the passage since that hatch says it is on a 15 sec. timer.

Kacie
Nov 11, 2010

Ramrod XTreme
Can we stand on the engine block, and then poke the button with our umbrella or other reach item, and ride up on the engine block?

Kacie
Nov 11, 2010

Ramrod XTreme

Hermetian posted:

Might as well go to the lighthouse and see if we can put that mirror where it's supposed to go.

Also see if we can smudge it up a bit.

Yeah, see if we can smear some rancid fish oil on it! That will mess it up! Bit of oil on a nice reflective surface, screw you, mirror!

(Seriously, hating the fish oil puzzle.)

Kacie
Nov 11, 2010

Ramrod XTreme

pumpinglemma posted:

Fun fact: N-rays were actually a mainstream scientific theory once! You see, a guy called Blondlot came up with this experiment where if you looked really really hard at a phosphorescent surface in a darkened room, you could see the brightness subtly - almost imperceptibly - change under certain conditions. So clearly there had to be a mechanism, and he came up with the theory of N-rays.

A while later, he was replicating one of his experiments for another scientist called Wood. Wood used the cover of darkness to secretly remove an important prism from the apparatus, and replace the "N-ray emitter" with a block of wood. Lo and behold, Blondlot still saw the almost imperceptible changes in brightness, and concluded that N-rays were clearly present.

N-rays are no longer a mainstream scientific theory.

That is awesome.

Also, a very fun way to disprove things - make it so said phenomenon can't be observed, and if the observer "sees" it anyways - good times. Nothing like feeling utterly :smug: as you explain afterwards.

As for the library card and the alternate path, and Claudia being the info dump if you don't take the library card -- I take back my complaints. You're clearly supposed to snatch the library card and do the research yourself (and it is gratifying). But I really appreciate the allowance that Miranda might not be willing to steal from her husband. Interactive Fiction (and especially old school text adventures) require you to be a kleptomaniac, and the option to feel like that's going to far with your husband is refreshing. In light of this, having Claudia be the backup makes sense (except that Claudia isn't staff, and thus managed to sweet-talk the librarian when Miranda couldn't).

Why yes, I have trouble remembering to be an utter klepto on top of "try everything in your inventory against absolutely everything".

Thank you for showing what we missed! I like the alternative method of opening the puzzle box, although the lens being perfect after being run over by the train is (appropriately?) mind blowing.

Kacie
Nov 11, 2010

Ramrod XTreme
Kick the door in time to the thunder.

That always works in the pulps!

Kacie
Nov 11, 2010

Ramrod XTreme
Please don't leave us with the homicidal madman!

(This Let's Play is fantastic - please, come back and finish this, Grimwit!)

Kacie
Nov 11, 2010

Ramrod XTreme
Yay! You're back!

Oi vey - bed bugs are horrible. :(

Weren't we trying sneak in and swap in a smudged glass lens in the lighthouse?

Kacie
Nov 11, 2010

Ramrod XTreme
Seconding the two ideas above this post - show William his locket and his mother's locket.

Kacie
Nov 11, 2010

Ramrod XTreme

quote:

Next to what must represent the main focusing mirror of the device, someone has written the number "0.0113"; someone else, in another handwriting, has scratched that number out and written below it, "0.0162".

quote:

>measure mirror #3 with caliper
The instrument holds the mirror delicately clamped between its pincers; the readout reads "0.0162".

Give him mirror #3, in case he rechecks the mirror.

Kacie
Nov 11, 2010

Ramrod XTreme
Hooray! Glad you're back!

(And horrified by the list of misfortunes)

Will you show what happens if you give Michael a) the wrong mirror, and b) the right mirror but not besmirched by oil?

Picking the cuff sounds smart.

Kacie
Nov 11, 2010

Ramrod XTreme

Double Plus Undead posted:

This is all very sweet but he needs protection against eldritch forces. Give him the amulet.

This, please.

And if that doesn't work, try hand-cuffing him?

Kacie
Nov 11, 2010

Ramrod XTreme
Gazing in dismay at our overwhelming list o' items in the coat - the Flute is our best bet. Like Mort said- lure ghost to altar and use the flute.

Or use the flute and drive him to the altar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kacie
Nov 11, 2010

Ramrod XTreme
Ah, yes - the good ending, where you make sure the bloodline dies out. Of course that doesn't get you the most points.

Thank you for LPing and illustrating this game! I am so bad at IF, I never dared try this game, and while I'd absolutely get stuck I love what it does.

• Locked thread