Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
How do you define what "size" or "type" a miniatures game is? I ask because I've been led astray a few times in this. Skirmish games to me have relatively low model counts and are about individuals. Mass games have larger model counts and are more about attrition. At the same time, I looked at Dropzone Commander as a "mass" game and it was pointed out to me that the starter has less than 20 models, and you're sort of playing a skirmish game except the models are tanks instead of individual dudes. Some games have movement templates so you're using small numbers of groups, and then some games have massive amounts of 28mm dudes.

What the hell am I missing here? What's a "skirmish" game anyway? What is a "mass combat" game? To my knowledge I've never actually played a mass combat game, but I'm interested. Kings of War vs Warpath vs 40K vs WHFantasy vs Dropzone Commander vs Historicals... Navigate this for me. What should a mass combat game give me, and what should a skirmish game give me? Where do you draw the line in the spectrum?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread