Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
Seems to be a trending issue on facebook and such, but I don't really understand the origin:

http://www.kgw.com/story/news/investigations/2015/02/18/pink-tax-womens-products-high-prices/23645057/

quote:

"He said men typically buy the brands they always have, get the cheapest version and aren't as drawn in by fragrance or buzz words on packaging."

'"I think it's ridiculous," said Portland shopper Lori Dorie. "I wouldn't have known if you hadn't have showed me. I normally just walk into the store and buy something."'

"Shopper Tara Collins hadn't noticed either. "I don't know if I'm upset about it. I just haven't paid attention.""

According to the companies it's just a mix of the products designed for women being slightly more expensive to produce/advertise along with the fact that women apparently can't compare numbers on store shelves or something. It tends to affect hygiene products and clothing the most, which I could see being a thing as a lot of male products are much more bland and target function over form.

What seemed even more interesting was the import taxes were also different like women's shoes being taxed more than mens or such. From a different article: http://groundswell.org/ever-heard-of-the-pink-tax-4-items-women-pay-more-for/

quote:

Since 2000, a New York City trade lawyer named Michael Cone has been fighting the federal government over gender-bias tariffs. While researching import tariffs (fees the U.S. charges on goods imported from other countries) at the request of a client who manufactured shoes, Cone discovered that the tariffs diverged across gender lines: men’s sneakers were taxed at 8.5 percent, while women’s were taxed at 10 percent.

As he continue researching, he found more and more price discrepancies based on gender. (An imported wool suit is taxed 8.5 percent for a woman and zero for a man?!) Some male items, like gloves, were more costly to males (14 percent versus 12.6 percent for females), but by-and-large, women’s items were taxed more.

Honestly dunno what to make of this, is it just companies assuming they can get more money from women or do you think women's products might just be a bit more spendy to produce for whatever reason. In the case of stuff like toiletries though it doesn't really make sense why pink disposable razors would be more expensive than blue ones but it looks like they can sell them for more. For the tariffs I honestly can't think of a reason outside of just expecting no one to notice the discrepancy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
suck my dick you stupid homo

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
kill yourself, OP

welcome 2 Clown Town
Aug 1, 2006

GALAXY'S #2 SCULL*!

*scrunt skull

MRA posted:

im mad because women want to be treadted as people or somethign waaaah

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

$2 in the pink

Aug 4, 2010

lmao another score for the patriarchy, take that females!!

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

quote:

Studies show that the average woman may be paying nearly $1,400 more a year in extra costs and fees, based on the prices of typical household items.

I mean that seems like a fair amount of cash monies, I wonder where the discrepancy actually comes from.

FlimFlam Imam
Mar 1, 2007

Standing on a hill in my mountain of dreams
Women deserve to make less and spend more in taxes and fees because they can have multiple orgasms.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

subhuman filth
Nov 1, 2006

if, indeed, you dont actually need a 12 blade razor sheet with a ball jointed swivel head it is possible to use normal mens' razors without growing hair on your tits, so unless women are actually incapable of reading price tags i dont see the problem?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

ArbitraryC posted:

I mean that seems like a fair amount of cash monies, I wonder where the discrepancy actually comes from.

Idk but when I first started dating my gf she would always mentally truncate prices. $5.99 = $5, $49.99 = $40.

I had to give her quite a bit of gentle nudging to get her to look at the whole price and take it into account when buying poo poo. I don't think that is true of all women, but it definitely exists.

Things like different colors being different prices is just advertising imo. Don't get me wrong advertising is evil but don't act surprised when you discover your preferences are being hijacked so they can charge you more. That's not really misogyny, that's just capitalism.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Moridin920 posted:

Idk but when I first started dating my gf she would always mentally truncate prices. $5.99 = $5, $49.99 = $40.

I had to give her quite a bit of gentle nudging to get her to look at the whole price and take it into account when buying poo poo. I don't think that is true of all women, but it definitely exists.
There are people who do that? Why not just round up the 1 penny than down.

spank my snatch
Jun 4, 2009

Sounds more like an idiot tax

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
stupid bitches

Decebal
Jan 6, 2010

ArbitraryC posted:

You do whatever you must to justify that purchase

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Moridin920 posted:

Things like different colors being different prices is just advertising imo. Don't get me wrong advertising is evil but don't act surprised when you discover your preferences are being hijacked so they can charge you more. That's not really misogyny, that's just capitalism.

mine too. more so on 5.99 = 5 than 49 = 40 but still. i think women are just dumb :ssh:

anyways yea they do it because they can. mens gillete razor blades seem better quality and cheaper so ive convinced her to buys those instead of the same kind that all fit the same razor except without pink fluffy protective blade thing in pastel green coloring and they're like 30% cheaper

Xaris fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Apr 22, 2015

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

ArbitraryC posted:

Lori Dorie

Lol

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

ArbitraryC posted:

I have no idea. It was baffling to me, too.

Xaris posted:

mine too. more so on 5.99 = 5 than 49 = 40 but still. i think women are just dumb :ssh:

anyways yea they do it because they can. mens gillete razor blades seem better quality and cheaper so ive convinced her to buys those instead of the same kind that all fit the same razor except without pink fluffy protective blade thing in pastel green coloring and they're like 30% cheaper

yeah the 49=40 is pretty rare, it's usually just the cents but I've seen her do it.

In the defense of women, the .99 cent thing is specifically done to make people look at the dollar amount and ignore the fact that $5.99 = $6, not $5 and thus be more willing to buy an item priced at $5.99 versus $6.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
My wife also truncates. Maybe it's a woman thing. Maybe it's an 'anyone dumb enough to date/marry a goon' thing.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Moridin920 posted:

In the defense of women, the .99 cent thing is specifically done to make people look at the dollar amount and ignore the fact that $5.99 = $6, not $5 and thus be more willing to buy an item priced at $5.99 versus $6.
I'd imagine it affects a lot more people than we'd think, as that's obviously why they do it. Personally when I see .99 I just round up, so 5.99 is 6 bucks as far as I'm concerned, but I could see you maybe thinking it was less after the fact if you vaguely remember the price and 5 sticks out in your head.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug
I also don't think it's the main cause of the discrepancy, if you look at that chart frequently the women's products are at the next dollar anyways, not like a 2.50 vs 2.99 thing.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

Xaris posted:

My exhusband actually did this a lot. I thought it was really strange.

Edit: Oh. Also. You are a douche.

Ghost Head
Sep 16, 2008
lmao day gay, so what poo poo up this stupid thread real good. gently caress u op.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
pink tax is what i call it when girls come over to hangout and i have sex with them

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.
lol

Parallax Scroll posted:

$2 in the pink

awesome

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

ArbitraryC posted:

I also don't think it's the main cause of the discrepancy, if you look at that chart frequently the women's products are at the next dollar anyways, not like a 2.50 vs 2.99 thing.

Yeah, they're just straight charging extra for the stuff marketed towards women.

Artificial Idiocy
Jul 11, 2008
This ends up costing households more overall as well, since the vast majority of cleaning products, laundry detergents, etc, are marketed solely towards women (who are still responsible for about 75%+ of the purchase decisions for such products in households).

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
well, another reason unfettered capitalism is terrible.

Artificial Idiocy
Jul 11, 2008
To be fair, companies do have to spend more money marketing towards women because of the competitive environment, which increases the virtual cost per product and requires they charge more to maintain the same margins.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
That's probably fair for some items but like anything else gets abused for all items.

\/\/\/ Of course. What concerns me more is when corporate ethics get ignored in pursuit of that profit. I agree this isn't really as big of an issue as it seems because you're right it costs more to get certain products to market and the price differences aren't ultimately that huge.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Apr 22, 2015

Artificial Idiocy
Jul 11, 2008
Don't forget that the businesses behind these decisions are cold, calculating profit machines. The differences in price aren't based on a 'let's oppress women and make them spend more' motivation, but behind pricing formulas and market dynamics. Women's razors are a smaller market than men's, so the effect of each competitor in the market on the demand curve pushes prices up.

Synthetic floral compounds in the fragrance formula for women's deodorant are more expensive than the scent agents used in men's fragrances. These factors have a discrete and direct influence on the shelf price that is charged.

naem
May 29, 2011

Parallax Scroll posted:

$2 in the pink

$1 in the stink

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
They charge more for chick stuff cause if a chick buys dude stuff then her peers will make fun of her.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
free market bithces

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
Ultra Carp

dad gay. so what posted:

suck my dick you stupid homo

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
Ultra Carp

dad gay. so what posted:

kill yourself, OP

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time

Artificial Idiocy posted:

Don't forget that the businesses behind these decisions are cold, calculating profit machines. The differences in price aren't based on a 'let's oppress women and make them spend more' motivation, but behind pricing formulas and market dynamics. Women's razors are a smaller market than men's, so the effect of each competitor in the market on the demand curve pushes prices up.

Synthetic floral compounds in the fragrance formula for women's deodorant are more expensive than the scent agents used in men's fragrances. These factors have a discrete and direct influence on the shelf price that is charged.

good mansplaining.... I mean STEMlogic... I mean you're a pissbaby

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

women....heh

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
We were on a trip and my wife didn't bring any deodorant so i gave her mine and she hated it because she smelled like me

So I had to find a CVS in the loving middle of nowhere in Utah so I could find some girly deodorant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

ArbitraryC posted:

Well I'm done, people just have zero reading comprehension and are unwilling to acknowledge that there are people out there that enjoy sex differently than themselves. Keep calling me a rapist if it makes you feel better or whatever. If you're literally too stupid to understand that the girl in question for that anecdote literally requested I do things like that and that I literally said it's not something I'm normally into, then I don't know what else to say.

It's not something I've ever done with partners before or after that specific girl, but feel free to make sweeping generalizations on my person based on one incident that I had posted about in an attempt to highlight that something like that can happen by mistake and it's not necessarily a terrible reflection of his person even if he learns from it.

vvvvv: So you've absolutely never heard of people who find sexual aggressiveness and dominance to be attractive? Or what?

• Locked thread