Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bwee
Jul 1, 2005

Pro Target posted:

ive seen enough nerds throw around 'strong female character' that i think i have an understanding of what they mean: 'any female character'

Yeah exactly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Bwee posted:

Can someone explain the "strong female characters" that supposedly exist in this show/book?

I don't think it's their strength that people like, although it certainly helps that they are more then just there for sex and to serve some man. A lot of the love is directed towards Cersei, and Daenerys because they are political leaders that are smart and have allies, but also have faults and enemies. Daenerys for example is naive and doesn't see or accept the world for what it really is, she wants to reshape it into her own vision and make everyone free, but at the same time she doesn't see that these actions have serious consequences, and we see those actions blow up in her face throughout the series. She seems to always find some way to deal with it though, on her own, instead of just running to a man to have him fix it. Cersei is a ruthless bitch who is very smart and knows how to play the political game without resorting to sex.

If nothing else Game of Thrones breaks a lot of female tropes.

Hate Fibration
Apr 8, 2013

FLÄSHYN!

Pro Target posted:

yeah theres no other books except fantasy novels... its hosed up

But what are people supposed to be getting from fiction?

:saddowns:

Pro Target
Oct 29, 2006

hopefully something more relevant to the actual world and to their lives than the Names Of The 25 Ancient Dragons Of Olgox

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
I definitely want to hear more about all these blood sausages. Like in extreme detail, with info about the lamprey and pies. Scene after scene of it.

Hate Fibration
Apr 8, 2013

FLÄSHYN!

Pro Target posted:

hopefully something more relevant to the actual world and to their lives than the Names Of The 25 Ancient Dragons Of Olgox

Why would you go to fiction for that?

Hello, yes, ice cream vendor, please give me your finest quinoa.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Pro Target posted:

yeah escapism is all bad 100% of the time never read fiction

Pro Target
Oct 29, 2006

Sorry, should have remembered that genre fic readers can only engage with stuff at the most superficial level

Pro Target
Oct 29, 2006

Moridin920 posted:

yeah escapism is all bad 100% of the time never read fiction

Yes, it is

Pro Target
Oct 29, 2006

Am I supposed to disagree with that?

Bwee
Jul 1, 2005
fiction should encourage deeper analysis and critical thinking (about social issues, gender issues, class issues, etc) and mainstream pop fantasy does none of this

Decebal
Jan 6, 2010

Bwee posted:

fiction should encourage deeper analysis and critical thinking (about social issues, gender issues, class issues, etc) and mainstream pop fantasy does none of this

Thank Allah !! could you imagine how awful everything would be

Hate Fibration
Apr 8, 2013

FLÄSHYN!

Bwee posted:

Why? What's the advantage over engaging with those issues directly? How is that not just something that makes it easier for people to lie to you?

Pro Target
Oct 29, 2006

Good fiction should encourage you to think about it in connection with and as a reflection of the reality that produced it and to which it relates.

Genre fic encourages its readers to disconnect from reality, and so is worthless

Hate Fibration
Apr 8, 2013

FLÄSHYN!

Pro Target posted:

Good fiction should encourage you to think about it in connection with and as a reflection of the reality that produced it and to which it relates.

This is still like going to an ice cream vendor for a salad.

Pro Target
Oct 29, 2006

Hate Fibration posted:

Why? What's the advantage over engaging with those issues directly? How is that not just something that makes it easier for people to lie to you?

Your mind has rotted so much that you cant seperate art from escapism

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006

Bwee posted:

I don't think it necessarily should. I don't see anything wrong with a fantasy series that doesn't make me question conflict in the middle east. and honestly most of the time i read fantasy, or whatever similar fiction, i get annoyed by obvious social justice bullshit subtexts. I just want to read about a dragon saving the world, I'm not here to get educated on loving gender roles.

Hate Fibration posted:

lol

e: boy im taking this thread straight to hell

Pro Target
Oct 29, 2006

Hate Fibration posted:

if youre going with this then its more like saying ice cream is garbage and we should dispose of it forever

Hate Fibration
Apr 8, 2013

FLÄSHYN!

Pro Target posted:

Your mind has rotted so much that you cant seperate art from escapism

It must be because I don't read fiction in general anymore.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Poetic Justice posted:

it's better than the books :twisted:

This but unironically.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Pro Target posted:

Am I supposed to disagree with that?

if you're one of those people that literally thinks you should never read fiction there's nothing really wrong with that necessarily, it's just highly likely that you are a bore.

also what makes you think reading fantasy and reading literature are mutually exclusive? I'm pretty wide read, at a certain point I can just re-read the classics for a 4th time or I can try to find some random scifi novel to read.

Pro Target
Oct 29, 2006

Moridin920 posted:

if you're one of those people that literally thinks you should never read fiction there's nothing really wrong with that necessarily, it's just highly likely that you are a bore.

Well, i guess i'll have to live with being left out of conversations about elves

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Pro Target posted:

Well, i guess i'll have to live with being left out of conversations about elves

and most social functions I'm guessing

why are you so tightly wound up?

Bwee
Jul 1, 2005
Pro Target and I have already established that literature is important, genre fantasy isn't. You can be very non-boring through discussion of literature

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Bwee posted:

Pro Target and I have already established that literature is important, genre fantasy isn't. You can be very non-boring through discussion of literature

you sound boring as gently caress already

it's not so much that literature isn't interesting, it is. it's just that you lack imagination.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

The Mountain gonna get frankensteinered.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

yeah this thing that millions of people watch and love is actually really bad -a human being

Decebal
Jan 6, 2010

WeLandedOnTheMoon! posted:

I hope they use the same actor, he's a viking beast !

Pro Target
Oct 29, 2006

Moridin920 posted:

you sound boring as gently caress already

it's not so much that literature isn't interesting, it is. it's just that you lack imagination.

This is a sentence devoid of any meaning whatsoever

Hate Fibration
Apr 8, 2013

FLÄSHYN!

quote:

The Mountain gonna get frankensteinered

Actually the thing I wanna see most in the show. Actually, I'm happy with anything not involving Daenerys(sic).

quote:

You actually haven't done that. You can make pretty much anything convincing by portraying it fictionally. If the works of fiction people read do exert a subtle influence on them as you would claim, then why is that a case for employing critical analysis in literature? Why isn't just avoiding fiction altogether and engaging directly with the real world a better option, so as to avoid those potential influences? Unless the escapist elements of fiction have value, you are consigning it as a whole to irrelevancy.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
pro target i value lit so much i got a degree and i think you're a hypocrite and a retard

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
probably like 30% hypocrite and 110% retard

TwoStepBoog
Apr 12, 2008

it's a stupid show but i watch it because i am entertained by it

much like breaking bad or the walking dead

except the walking dead actually truly sucks

Hate Fibration posted:

Actually, I'm happy with anything not involving Daenerys(sic).

same

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
don't let these retards bully you into qualifying your enjoyment of entertainment

Pro Target
Oct 29, 2006

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

pro target i value lit so much i got a degree and i think you're a hypocrite and a retard

that so mang?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Pro Target posted:

This is a sentence devoid of any meaning whatsoever

You only read literature and yet your reading comprehension is bad?

I was saying there's nothing wrong with literature, but if you never read fiction because it is terrible then you are likely a person who lacks imagination and is thus boring in most social interactions.

Pro Target
Oct 29, 2006

I value lit so much i got a degree just so i can say i have a degree when people make fun of my Fairy Tail Book

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator

WeLandedOnTheMoon! posted:

i wanna see him get scottsteinered

POPPA PUMP

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Pro Target posted:

I value lit so much i got a degree just so i can say i have a degree when people make fun of my Fairy Tail Book

lol what's the last book you read?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hate Fibration
Apr 8, 2013

FLÄSHYN!

I feel like she's the weakest part of the show by far. Her entire character seems really one-dimensional. She's pretty much just a walking goal. I also feel like her actions are really poorly integrated into the overarching plot.

Moridin920 posted:

lol what's the last book you read?

Me and Pro Target should exchange reading materials. We'll both learn something.

• Locked thread