Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bwee
Jul 1, 2005

SADDLE ME UP posted:

I don't like GoT or Elder Scrolls or any of that crap

Good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
At first it's like "Whoa, my favorite character died, no one is safe!"

Then it's like, "Yeah, I'm not getting attached to this character, he's defo going to get thrown out a window."

loving Hot Pie's buddy is going to end up being the Emperor of Wangs at this point, he'll be the only one left.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

mind the walrus posted:

Hahaha holy poo poo get a load of you.

I just think it's hilarious between the posters actively admitting they have never read the book but feel qualified to comment on it (that was in the other thread just now) and the posters acting like HBO's crazy megapopular TV show is actually complete poo poo.

It's poo poo and they hate it but somehow there's multiple GoT threads with tens of pages each. Get over it assholes it's fine to consume media that isn't literary masterworks once in a while to unwind.

gay sewer monster
Jan 18, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Moridin920 posted:

It's poo poo and they hate it but somehow there's multiple GoT threads with tens of pages each. Get over it assholes it's fine to consume media that isn't literary masterworks once in a while to unwind.

I like Family Guy.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Unnngh i hate thing

Jerry Mumphrey
Mar 11, 2004

by zen death robot

(and can't post for 4 years!)

drat horror queefs posted:

iirc he gets stabbed by a bunch of dudes in homoerotic succession b/c he keeps all the magic enema potions for himself and the men of the nights watch are really peeved about it

yeah it kind of implies that some of them are sticking their dicks in the knife wounds too

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man.

Moridin920 posted:

I just think it's hilarious between the posters actively admitting they have never read the book but feel qualified to comment on it (that was in the other thread just now) and the posters acting like HBO's crazy megapopular TV show is actually complete poo poo.

hahaha very cute

Pro Target
Oct 29, 2006

Moridin920 posted:

I don't think it's ok. You have limited time so why waste it on genre fiction

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Why do all the starving peasants in this series look suspiciously like big, healthy, well-groomed American actors. They should have imported some real starving peasants from the 3rd world to make it properly realistic.

Bwee
Jul 1, 2005
It's ok to turn off your brain and watch trash tv *literally never reads a book that's not pulp fantasy*

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Actually is the 3rd world still a thing everywhere seems to have mobile phones and fast food places and running water and stuff these days.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe
I'm glad they cast an American doing an accent as Tyrion, to make up for all the loving Brits in American TV

Decebal
Jan 6, 2010

Pistol_Pete posted:

Why do all the starving peasants in this series look suspiciously like big, healthy, well-groomed American actors. They should have imported some real starving peasants from the 3rd world to make it properly realistic.

Dragons & magic, dude
dragons and magic

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006
how many inconsequential dirt cities is daenerys going to emancipate slaves in during this season? i think 6 but maybe 7

the joke here is that daenerys' plot line is a literal garbage can

Pro Target
Oct 29, 2006

Every moment spent thinking about dragons is a moment wasted

Bwee
Jul 1, 2005

Decebal posted:

Dragons & magic, dude
dragons and magic

Lol but they use realism as an excuse for the misogyny and racism "but that's how it was in medieval times!!"

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006

Bwee posted:

Lol but they use realism as an excuse for the misogyny and racism "but that's how it was in medieval times!!"

yeah i agree it should be illegal to use misogyny to illustrate that some of the characters are scumlords in a fictional story with plenty of strong female characters

e: racism? where does that happen? i don't remember any racist poo poo happening but my memory sucks

ROFLburger fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Apr 22, 2015

Decebal
Jan 6, 2010

Bwee posted:

you are right, there isn't much justice in GoT society

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

I made a thread like this about league of legends and it got moved to games. Safe travels for your thread, op, because it's going to the TVIV

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

Chinatown posted:

its actually very entertaining and thats all that needs to be said unless you are a human being TVIV poster who cares waaay too much about TV shows

Bwee
Jul 1, 2005
Please don't call me a "human being"

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

3/10

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

ROFLburger posted:

yeah i agree it should be illegal to use misogyny to illustrate that some of the characters are scumlords in a fictional story with plenty of strong female characters

e: racism? where does that happen? i don't remember any racist poo poo happening but my memory sucks

probably the whole white savior thing where dany comes in and frees all the slaves.

that all goes wrong for her though so imo it's not really racism it just shows what happens when naive white people try to 'fix' the brown people.

also most of the characters that are not white in the books have been turned white or at least swarthy at most in the show but that's not something you'd be able to pick up on just watching the show.

love my preemies!
Sep 26, 2004

Would've been great if they crowdsurfed her to a giant pile of dog doo and dropped her in it then she rolls around and does the Charlie brown "augh!" and jorah goes to her and slips on a banana peel

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

literally everyone daenerys "frees" has been portrayed as a noble savage

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe
How did they cast so many extras who are the exact same color? Did they dose them in Cheeto juice or something?

Hate Fibration
Apr 8, 2013

FLÄSHYN!

Bwee posted:

It's ok to turn off your brain and watch trash tv *literally never reads a book that's not pulp fantasy*

What are people supposed to read, and why?

Bwee
Jul 1, 2005

Hate Fibration posted:

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006
hm. Those are fair points. I guess I kinda felt like the reasoning behind them being "brown people" was more of a "hey audience, look how different this culture on the other side of the world is!!! they even have a different color skin!!!" and less of a "lol brown people are savages"

T.S. Smelliot
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Bwee posted:

Ignoring the obvious problematic nature of "sexposition" and racism that is everpresent throughout the show, it is, in its very nature, a really poorly written D&D game made into an HBO series

And you're really not a good poster but I don't go around making threads about it do I

Pro Target
Oct 29, 2006

Hate Fibration posted:

yeah theres no other books except fantasy novels... its hosed up

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe
My favorite part in the books is where she frees all the slaves and they all become just like the slavers white woman's burden amirite

Bwee
Jul 1, 2005
Can someone explain the "strong female characters" that supposedly exist in this show/book?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

imperialist white girl saves the savages was the funniest moment of Game of Thrones.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

ROFLburger posted:

hm. Those are fair points. I guess I kinda felt like the reasoning behind them being "brown people" was more of a "hey audience, look how different this culture on the other side of the world is!!! they even have a different color skin!!!" and less of a "lol brown people are savages"

it works way better in the books imo because you don't have to wait for a new season between 'yay I freed all the slaves' and 'oh god everyone hates me and the other cities I liberated have been conquered and re-enslaved and gently caress gently caress gently caress.' The show just makes it seem like straight white savior racism plot for quite a while.

Decebal
Jan 6, 2010

Bwee posted:

Can someone explain the "strong female characters" that supposedly exist in this show/book?

Do your own drat homework

Pro Target
Oct 29, 2006

ive seen enough nerds throw around 'strong female character' that i think i have an understanding of what they mean: 'any female character'

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
check out this little beauty:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hate Fibration
Apr 8, 2013

FLÄSHYN!

I said come in! posted:

imperialist white girl saves the savages was the funniest moment of Game of Thrones.

I was watching the show with someone and when this scene came on we just kind of stared at each other and made that weird whistling sound through our teeth that your mechanic makes to let you know something very expensive is about to happen.

• Locked thread