Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

casual beep posted:

Its decent and enjoyable to watch but I agree it isn't a greatly written show and while technically sound the plotlines are kind of forgettable

inevitable when you try to condense a poo poo ton of writing into a TV show imo.

but yeah I pretty much agree with this opinion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

ArbitraryC posted:

Like I can't even recall any nudity in the first 2 eps of this season, I feel like the whole sex in GoT thing is a bit overblown.

I'm pretty sure most goons just echo overblown complaints other goons had so they can look funny or hip in GBS or something.

A bunch of people bitch that there's too much 'political bullshit,' and a different bunch of people bitch that there's too much violence and sex. You can't please everyone. There is a lot of sexposition though.

cr05580n35 posted:

I really enjoyed the books, but have become less excited with the show.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Apr 22, 2015

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Blurry Gray Thing posted:

Yeah.

First book was okay if only for its gimmick (people die a lot). It's a pretty good gimmick. Most people don't do it because killing off characters the audience care about is a good way to end up with a plot full of worthless poo poo-people, but it's still neat to have a story about a violent setting where people really can die. Then it just gets bogged down and slows to a crawl.

Then the gimmick changes and it's suddenly all about "undermining your expectations", non-stop. You can pretty much hear the fat man who wrote it giggling in every paragraph. Bet you thought it was one way, but it's another. Bet you didn't see this coming. Haha, I tricked you! He just stops writing a story and starts playing assgrab with his fandom or something and it's impossible to give a poo poo. Then magic goes from being uncommon to hella overbearing and really ill-defined, because he needs to pull new magic out of his rear end for his latest expectation-subversion.

The show is doomed. The books just get irredeemably bad.

*writes a fantasy book* "ugh what derivative schlock'
*writes a different fantasy book* "ugh nice 'undermining your expectations' gimmick :rolleyes:'

gay sewer monster posted:

See, this is why I will never give this show a chance.

why? because a goon exaggerated on the internet or because you don't watch 'mainstream' TV?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
black people come from the summer isles and there's plenty of them in the books.

HBO is just racist.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

mind the walrus posted:

Hahaha holy poo poo get a load of you.

I just think it's hilarious between the posters actively admitting they have never read the book but feel qualified to comment on it (that was in the other thread just now) and the posters acting like HBO's crazy megapopular TV show is actually complete poo poo.

It's poo poo and they hate it but somehow there's multiple GoT threads with tens of pages each. Get over it assholes it's fine to consume media that isn't literary masterworks once in a while to unwind.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

ROFLburger posted:

yeah i agree it should be illegal to use misogyny to illustrate that some of the characters are scumlords in a fictional story with plenty of strong female characters

e: racism? where does that happen? i don't remember any racist poo poo happening but my memory sucks

probably the whole white savior thing where dany comes in and frees all the slaves.

that all goes wrong for her though so imo it's not really racism it just shows what happens when naive white people try to 'fix' the brown people.

also most of the characters that are not white in the books have been turned white or at least swarthy at most in the show but that's not something you'd be able to pick up on just watching the show.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

ROFLburger posted:

hm. Those are fair points. I guess I kinda felt like the reasoning behind them being "brown people" was more of a "hey audience, look how different this culture on the other side of the world is!!! they even have a different color skin!!!" and less of a "lol brown people are savages"

it works way better in the books imo because you don't have to wait for a new season between 'yay I freed all the slaves' and 'oh god everyone hates me and the other cities I liberated have been conquered and re-enslaved and gently caress gently caress gently caress.' The show just makes it seem like straight white savior racism plot for quite a while.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Pro Target posted:

hopefully something more relevant to the actual world and to their lives than the Names Of The 25 Ancient Dragons Of Olgox

yeah escapism is all bad 100% of the time never read fiction

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Pro Target posted:

Am I supposed to disagree with that?

if you're one of those people that literally thinks you should never read fiction there's nothing really wrong with that necessarily, it's just highly likely that you are a bore.

also what makes you think reading fantasy and reading literature are mutually exclusive? I'm pretty wide read, at a certain point I can just re-read the classics for a 4th time or I can try to find some random scifi novel to read.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Pro Target posted:

Well, i guess i'll have to live with being left out of conversations about elves

and most social functions I'm guessing

why are you so tightly wound up?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Bwee posted:

Pro Target and I have already established that literature is important, genre fantasy isn't. You can be very non-boring through discussion of literature

you sound boring as gently caress already

it's not so much that literature isn't interesting, it is. it's just that you lack imagination.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Pro Target posted:

This is a sentence devoid of any meaning whatsoever

You only read literature and yet your reading comprehension is bad?

I was saying there's nothing wrong with literature, but if you never read fiction because it is terrible then you are likely a person who lacks imagination and is thus boring in most social interactions.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Pro Target posted:

I value lit so much i got a degree just so i can say i have a degree when people make fun of my Fairy Tail Book

lol what's the last book you read?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

satanic splash-back posted:

enjoying game of thrones and being proud of it is like reading goosebumps and being proud of it (as an adult)

you sound like a miserable person

like, are you saying just don't read it or are you saying read it but be ashamed?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

facebook jihad posted:

That's mad men.

Game of thrones is pretty much good but in an escapist, turn your brain off and just watch stupid poo poo, tits, and cool visual effects for an hour.

Anyone who gets really into this poo poo and actually reads the books are stupid

lol what makes mad men so much better?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
My TV show is The One True Show and anything else is loving garbage for idiot bitches.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Everybody knew House was formulaic as gently caress, people watched for the dialogue and character interaction. And to see House own people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
they're not that bad goons exaggerate a lot

• Locked thread