Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yggdrassil
Mar 11, 2012

RAKANISHU!

:siren: Total War: Warhammer will be coming out on May 24th! :siren:

:)

Some Gameplay...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-MYlmb3gip8

Total War: Warhammer is an upcoming PC real time strategy title, part of the Total War series developed by Creative Assembly. Diverting from the tradition of previous titles, the game is not based in a historic context but in a medieval-fantasy setting developed by the evil corporation Games Workshop for their famous miniature wargame. The game, true to the nature of previous Total War games, will focus on two different types of gameplay: a campaign map with a turn-by-turn system focused on territorial conquest, and siege/pitched battles in real time where two or more players stand off in an epic duel of strategy and maneuvering.

"What is this all about and why should i care?"

Creative Assembly have, since 2000, been producing a game line that has a unique gameplay approach in comparison with other Real Time Strategy games such as Age of Empires or Command & Conquer. They have produced more than 10 games following the same style, and over the year have gotten pretty good at doing that (not without mistakes, of course).

Warhammer Fantasy, Games Workshop IP, is a fantasy setting created about 30 years ago, and has been fleshed out not only in their famous miniature wargame, but also in books, pc & boardgame adaptations. It's a medieval fantasy setting with a gritty atmosphere, where the little pockets of human civilization, mostly centered in a pseudo-medieval-german Empire, are besieged by all fronts by hordes of mutant rats, green football hooligans orcs, vampires, mummies, elves and chaos worshippers taken from some Lovecraftian tale. It's pretty much the worst place to live in, ever.

There will be a base game, probably with some ludicrous money-grab DLCs, followed by 2 expansions.

"Does this mean CA will stop doing historical games in favor for this kind of setting?"

No. Creative Assembly will continue with the development of future, history-set games on parallel. So, no waiting 5 years for your Medieval Total War 3 or whatever you are waiting for.

"What engine will this run on?"

Total War: Warhammer will run in the same engine as his current predecessor, Total War: Attila (TW3).

"Will there be dragons?"

Flying units will be one of the new things to the franchise, and yes: there WILL be dragons and a nice array of monsters :).

"What about magic?"

As most fantasy settings, magic does have a presence in the Warhammer world. Sorcerers are rare but powerful, and magic is a volatile but incredibly destructive force. This opens up opportunities for innovation regarding prior Total War titles, due to the fact that some spells are incredibly devastating (like meteor shower kind of devastating), and will probably take a big part in the game's mechanics.

"Regarding campaign game... how big will the campaign map be?"

We have no information yet regarding how big the map will be. The Warhammer World is pretty much a warped version of our own world, and thou many games have focused in the action occuring in the human Empire, a Warhammer Total War game of this magnitude could maybe spread throughout the whole world map.

UPDATE: Here's a video of the campaign map :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2a9nF8X2Yd4

"What factions will we get?"

At the moment, we have confirmed 4 factions: Humans, Dwarfs, Vampire Counts and Orcs, though the Warhammer universe has a wide variety of races and kingdoms (elves, dark elves, lizardmen, ratmen, mummies, ogres, demons, etc...). Each faction has it's own lore and story, along with their heroes and kingdoms.

"So when is this coming out?"

We don't have a release date yet, but the game was announced about 2 years ago since the news of CA working in a Games Workshop IP based game came out. The official Total War forums (http://forums.totalwar.com/forum.php?s=011af4c970331f9a95139a4860958df7) will pretty soon open a Total War: Warhammer subforum for the game, and the first trailer has been released.

"Im a history fan and this game is an embarrassment for the-"

:frogout:

Will CA (Creative Assembly dev) has this to say:

quote:

Total War: WARHAMMER is official! Taking the series to a realm of brutal, high fantasy for the first time in its history, our rules have changed and with change comes war on a scale as yet unimagined.

The limitlessly deep and rich universe of Warhammer heralds a new era for Total War. Gigantic monsters, flying creatures, legendary heroes and storms of magical power take their place on the battlefield, alongside thousands of warriors clashing in real-time tactical battles.

In the turn-based campaign game, players will find the Old World an unforgiving and treacherous place, filled with endless war and cunning alliances alike. Whichever race you choose to play as and however you seek conquest, you will be faced with a conflict that threatens to tear the very fabric of reality asunder.

The first in an epic trilogy of titles, Total War: WARHAMMER will deliver hundreds of hours of absorbing gameplay. It will combine with two further standalone instalments and additional content packs to create the single largest Total War experience ever.

“We’ve always loved the Warhammer universe, and couldn’t wait to approach it with the same colossal scale and authenticity that has characterised our titles for the last 15 years,” said Total War: WARHAMMER Project Lead, Ian Roxburgh. “We’re bringing it to life in a way that nobody’s attempted before.”

:siren: UPDATE 29/4 :siren:
CA has listed several facts about the game release. These are:

quote:

-In Total War: WARHAMMER you’ll have four races to choose from, Greenskins, The Empire, Dwarfs and Vampire Counts. Each race has a legendary lord character , who is the leader of a faction within your chosen race.

-Each legendary character has a quest arc, unique abilities, armour, weapons and in some cases, access to mounts. Each race will play very differently from each other; to master them all will require massive variation in campaign and battle strategy. Greenskins aren’t going to behave the same way as the Empire for example, and will have access to different playstyles and features.

-The races in Warhammer are massively different in variation and content compared to factions we’ve depicted in our games before. Given the huge variety in creatures, characters and machines in the Warhammer world, we’ve decided to go deep rather than wide.

-We’ll be putting as much unit and content variation as we can into the main game to best represent the incredibly detailed races we’ve chosen first. The game will provide just as many hundreds of hours of gameplay as any other Total War game. Probably more as the sides you choose won’t be as similar to each other, so you’ll experience far greater variation in campaigns than before.

-To compare, ATTILA has 6 model skeletons underlying all the units used in the game (human, horse, elephant, dog,etc). In Total War: WARHAMMER, there’s 24 in the first game alone, each representing a different creature or machine type.

-It's not set during the End Times, Total War: Warhammer will take place before.

FUTURE CONTENT
-We’re planning full game follow-ups, DLC content packs and Free-LC to follow the main release.
These will include new playable Lords, units, races and more. We’ll talk about these in time, but for now, our focus is on crafting a deep, rich and content-heavy main game.
:siren: :siren: :siren: Chaos Warriors have been announced as a day one, paid DLC. Let the rage flow. :siren: :siren: :siren:

-Future instalments of the trilogy will expand the world-map, bringing unique new terrain and introducing new playable Lords and their races. We’re planning these to be massive standalone follow-ups to the main game (like ATTILA to ROME II). You’ll be able to get just these and play them on their own if you like or, if you have the main game too, you’ll eventually be able to play across an expanded campaign map that includes all available areas of the Old World.

-As with previous Total War titles, the age rating of the game is planned to be 16+ PEGI or Teen rated. We’ve no interest in making a mature-only title and excluding fans who don’t make it into that age category.
We haven’t announced a Blood Pack-style DLC, but if we do, we will let you know via the forums and Facebook.

-As this isn’t just a CA game, regretfully there are no plans to support modding for Total War: Warhammer. An Assembly Kit is will be available very shortly for Total War: ATTILA however, and we will continue to support modding for that title and plan to for future historical Total Wars.

-We’ve no plans to make an open beta available before launch.

-Total War: WARHAMMER will be available on PC, Mac and Linux via Steam OS.
There are no plans for a console version at this time.

:siren: UPDATE 4/6 :siren:

Gameplay Screenshots :)

Thanks to Peer for the Gameplay Reviews links:

Kickass trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjzLuddjIUI

Total War E3 Trailer (with surprise at the end!):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gluogeTdqng

Karl Franz Trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRjoLcYs5jI

Related Links:

Creative Assembly Youtube Channel
Total War Forums
Warhammer Fantasy Battles SA Thread
Total War Attila/Rome 2 SA Thread
Total War Center Forums (unofficial, but many TW mods and devs lurk and post there)
Total War General SA Thread

Yggdrassil fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Apr 28, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
"At the moment, we have confirmed 4 factions: Humans, Dwarfs, Vampire Counts and Orcs, though the Warhammer universe has a wide variety of races and kingdoms (elves, dark elves, lizardmen, ratmen, mummies, ogres, demons, etc...). Each faction has it's own lore and story, along with their heroes and kingdoms."

The cinematic trailer ends with a huge fuckoff Lord of Change and making a big to do about how Chaos is the real threat without specifically naming it. Why are we acting like Chaos isn't in?

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Every other Warhammer game has sucked but if this basically a reskin then it could turn out decently, so that's nice.

Hopefully the base game launches with one of the actually interesting races though.

Yggdrassil
Mar 11, 2012

RAKANISHU!

Captain Oblivious posted:

"At the moment, we have confirmed 4 factions: Humans, Dwarfs, Vampire Counts and Orcs, though the Warhammer universe has a wide variety of races and kingdoms (elves, dark elves, lizardmen, ratmen, mummies, ogres, demons, etc...). Each faction has it's own lore and story, along with their heroes and kingdoms."

The cinematic trailer ends with a huge fuckoff Lord of Change and making a big to do about how Chaos is the real threat without specifically naming it. Why are we acting like Chaos isn't in?

It's what has been said in the oficial forums, though yeah; it is most likely chaos will be featured in the base game. Moreso, if the game is getting 2 expansions (and probably DLCs, since this is CA) we'll probably get all the factions.

Orv
May 4, 2011
There's two real possibilities at this point knowing the nothing we do;

A. Chaos is a faction, CA is being dumb for reason.

B. Chaos is a mechanic tied to magic characters/diplomacy/whatever that will do horrible poo poo to your stuff.

Whichever at this point.

Yggdrassil
Mar 11, 2012

RAKANISHU!

Orv posted:

There's two real possibilities at this point knowing the nothing we do;

A. Chaos is a faction, CA is being dumb for reason.

B. Chaos is a mechanic tied to magic characters/diplomacy/whatever that will do horrible poo poo to your stuff.

Whichever at this point.

Maybe both?

Orv
May 4, 2011

Yggdrassil posted:

Maybe both?

gently caress it, why not?! I love Total War but I am preparing for an utter shitfest train wreck with this entire thing.

Here's the lore shpiel from the Steam page that just went up, which sort of supports the second possibility?

Steam page lore snippet posted:

It is an age of endless conquest, thousands of warriors clash in titanic battles as entire races wage war on one another, each led by a formidable hero seeking dominion over the world.

All at your command.

The valiant Karl Franz marshals the men of the Empire, seeking to unite the fractured elector counts under a banner of strength against their common enemies.

Hungry for the vicious brutality of combat, the Greenskins flock to the tribe of Grimgor Ironhide; Orcs and Goblins alike filled with an insatiable thirst for carnage.

High King Thorgrim orders the stoic Dwarfs forth from their mountain strongholds, marching to vengefully right the grave injustices dealt to them over the millennia.

Yet the motives of the Vampire Counts under Mannfred von Carstien are shrouded in murderous secrecy, his armies raised from the rotting ranks of the dead.

And while the Old World becomes torn by betrayal, war and the unleashing of unfathomable power, a greater threat still whispers in the winds from the north. The fabric of reality itself begins to rend and buckle…

Orv fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Apr 23, 2015

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
I would just like this to be a game where I can play an Orc horde destroying the poo poo out of the pinkskins.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

1stGear posted:

I would just like this to be a game where I can play an Orc horde destroying the poo poo out of the pinkskins.

same

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Anatharon posted:

Every other Warhammer game has sucked but if this basically a reskin then it could turn out decently, so that's nice.

But the Dawn of War series was great, as was Warcraft.

:v:

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

why aren't they calling it Total Warhammer?

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

also Warhammer: Age of Reckoning was really fun for like, the first 20 levels

Luitpold
Aug 2, 2009
Talking of excrement ...
One of the devs said they plan to release two full expansions, along with all the regular sort of DLC drab

Burns
May 10, 2008

There was also Mark of Chaos. It was kind of a meh experience but man did the cg trailer own bones.

Q-sixtysix
Jun 4, 2005

Space Marine was ok for a little while, and the multiplayer was also fun for a bit

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
It's a pretty kickass trailer. I'm just really trying not to get my hopes up on this. There are so many things that could go wrong, and I've started to tire of Total War Games anyway.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
Just let me play dark elves and let me sacrifice people to Khaine and everything will be cool

Q-sixtysix posted:

Space Marine was ok for a little while, and the multiplayer was also fun for a bit

I really love the multiplayer for that, it was pretty cool. I would've taken that as it's own game if it included for classes and races.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Dre2Dee2 posted:

Just let me play dark elves and let me sacrifice people to Khaine and everything will be cool

I really love the multiplayer for that, it was pretty cool. I would've taken that as it's own game if it included for classes and races.

Good news, that's what Eternal Crusade is going to be!

It won't ever come out, but that's the plan!

Ixtlilton
Mar 10, 2012

How to Draw
by Rube Goldberg

I'm a weird person who liked Fire Warrior in addition to Space Marine and the Dawn of War games. I'm legit surprised they decided to do this though, I wouldn't have thought they'd diverge from the whole history thing.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
I really, really want this game to be good. When's the last time we got a proper Warhammer game (that wasn't Blood Bowl)? Warhammer Online?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

I really, really want this game to be good. When's the last time we got a proper Warhammer game (that wasn't Blood Bowl)? Warhammer Online?

Define proper.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

Well I have to draw the line somewhere or we'd be getting into negative numbers. :v:

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!
Total War sucks though and instead of the badass 40k universe they're going with the WoW ripoff poo poo instead?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

40k total war would be stupid because you'd have a unit of two million imperial guard shooting at a chaos space marine for five hours while the space marine stabs them all to death one by one.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I'm deffo hoping for some Skaven, or at least Clan Skryre.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

CommissarMega posted:

I'm deffo hoping for some Skaven, or at least Clan Skryre.

Same. I'm an OnG fan at heart but this game seems like it'd do Skaven decently in theory. So much loving cannon fodder, with whack-assed superweapons to back them up/kill stuff before the superweapons are put in jeopardy due to the deaths of the slaves etc.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
I haven't been able to care about a Total War game since Rome. The AI gets worse with every single release. I wish they were playable, but I feel like I'm beating up a retarded child when I play the campaign.

NomChompsky
Sep 17, 2008

Adam Bowen posted:

Total War sucks though and instead of the badass 40k universe they're going with the WoW ripoff poo poo instead?

It was actually Blizzard that ripped Games Workshop off.

I really hope this turns out to be good, though the odds are against it. First of all, there has never been a really good Warhammer Fantasy game. Warhammer Online was fun if you had friends and could do tier 4 PvP, but getting to that point didn't justify a subscription. Also Creative Assembly has been putting out progressively worse games despite looking nicer, and I don't care what anyone says even Attila is pretty lovely.

Still, there's a chance. A tiny hope that this might be actually good.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Adam Bowen posted:

There's nothing badass about 40k.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
This thread is stupid.
40k owns.
Warhammer owns.
Total War owns.

I will pre-order this game. gently caress you.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
I thought the thread title was a joke at first but welp

Jeremor
Jun 1, 2009

Drop Your Nuts

looking forward to Total War: <some other reference to Warhammer> being released a year or two after this game, wherein they fix a bunch of the lovely problems this game launches with

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

OwlFancier posted:

40k total war would be stupid because you'd have a unit of two million imperial guard shooting at a chaos space marine for five hours while the space marine stabs them all to death one by one.

take out the "five hours" line and thats literally endgame gameplay from king arthur total war or whatever

NomChompsky
Sep 17, 2008

Jeremor posted:

looking forward to Total War: <some other reference to Warhammer> being released a year or two after this game, wherein they fix a bunch of the lovely problems this game launches with

Nah since they're doing it on the Attila engine it'll be relatively functional, but they'll release with the 5 armies in the trailer and because it's a Games Workshop IP if you want to buy any other armies you'll have to pay $40 bucks for each of them individually.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I'm looking forward to assorted stories about how Games Workshop is a trash heap of a company more than the game itself tbh

Tabletop Warhammer sounds like such money pit

NomChompsky
Sep 17, 2008

Around 12 years ago when I was a teenager my brother and I would go there a lot because they did fun events and weren't horrible to customers who forgot little rules or had a few unpainted miniatures. It was cool and conducive to a friendly community, and they gained a lot of players. Then they just made one horrible decision after another ranging from arbitrarily changing rules in ways that forced people to rebuild their whole armies, forcing non-existent bullshit rules on people in the store to make them buy mod equipment, and price gouging every loving chance they got. They also treated their employees like poo poo after a while and eventually started staffing stores with only one or two people each so the person was always this exhausted bleary eyed sadman instead of the enthusiastic people who got a job there because they really liked the game.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

Whatever the name was of that RTS that had Imperials, Space Marines, Chaos, Orks, Eldar, Dark Eldar, Tau, Necron and Sisters.

Node posted:

I haven't been able to care about a Total War game since Rome. The AI gets worse with every single release. I wish they were playable, but I feel like I'm beating up a retarded child when I play the campaign.
You're the one getting older and\or better. Rome's AI literally has broken pathfinding in sieged warfare (and that's 90% of all battles) and even with all the patches the ai still fires into the back of infatry's heads and hoplites\phalanxes are robocops. And if the AI has a cavalry general he'll be the first against your line.

The AI nowadays is only marginally better but you're crazy if you think it's worse. The AI in Attila actually flanks with cavalry and protects archers with spear units. They never managed to fix the bug that came with Shogun where ranged superiority makes enemy units charge and retreat nonstop while never engaging, though.

NomChompsky posted:

It was actually Blizzard that ripped Games Workshop off.

I really hope this turns out to be good, though the odds are against it. First of all, there has never been a really good Warhammer Fantasy game. Warhammer Online was fun if you had friends and could do tier 4 PvP, but getting to that point didn't justify a subscription. Also Creative Assembly has been putting out progressively worse games despite looking nicer, and I don't care what anyone says even Attila is pretty lovely.

Still, there's a chance. A tiny hope that this might be actually good.
Medieval 2 has an amazing Warhammer mod already. It has virtually every faction of the lore and other than the Skaven that act as event-based rebels you can play as all of them.

All this game needs to be is that mod without all the stupid scripts that made the game crash constantly.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Jeremor posted:

They've already announced those in advance:

quote:

The first in an epic trilogy of titles, Total War: WARHAMMER will deliver hundreds of hours of absorbing gameplay. It will combine with two further standalone instalments and additional content packs to create the single largest Total War experience ever.

TheTrend
Feb 4, 2005
I have a descriminating toe

Adam Bowen posted:

Get the gently caress out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Its gonna own, OP

• Locked thread