Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Cool NIN Shirt posted:

She's no Mariah Carey, but yeah I think she makes as good a song as just about any other pop artist from the last 15 years. if you share a couple people who are better, I'll gladly concede my position

poo poo, if you're going back 15 years, tlc were still around in 2000 and they run circles around beyonce and most other modern pop singers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cool NIN Shirt
Nov 26, 2007

by vyelkin

Cubey posted:

every single female pop singer in music right now except for lorde and meghan trainor

All I can think of is Katy Perry, Taylor Swift, & Rihanna, and I'd say they're about equal to Beyonce. I guess Ariana Grande is more attractive but I don't think I've heard any of her songs

IzzyFnStradlin
Jun 19, 2004

this reminded me of fire marshall bill for some reason

Pivotal Lever
Sep 9, 2003

smarten up nas

Cool NIN Shirt
Nov 26, 2007

by vyelkin

Cubey posted:

poo poo, if you're going back 15 years, tlc were still around in 2000 and they run circles around beyonce and most other modern pop singers

Well if we're talking music groups I think Destiny's Child stacks up to TLC pretty well, and they were prettIer too iirc

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Cool NIN Shirt posted:

All I can think of is Katy Perry, Taylor Swift, & Rihanna, and I'd say they're about equal to Beyonce. I guess Ariana Grande is more attractive but I don't think I've heard any of her songs

katy perry is absolutely terrible and her production team does all the work for her. taylor swift and rhianna are much better singers although their songs themselves are very inconsistent and i don't think rhianna has made anything good in several years now. ariana grande is a much better singer than any of the others listed and her songs are actually good more often than not.

Cool NIN Shirt posted:

Well if we're talking music groups I think Destiny's Child stacks up to TLC pretty well, and they were prettIer too iirc

gently caress the hell no, you are incredibly wrong on both counts.

Pivotal Lever
Sep 9, 2003

one was 'ehhhhh' the other was 'illmatic' that's a one hot album every ten year average

Cool NIN Shirt
Nov 26, 2007

by vyelkin

Cubey posted:

katy perry is absolutely terrible and her production team does all the work for her. taylor swift and rhianna are much better singers although their songs themselves are very inconsistent and i don't think rhianna has made anything good in several years now. ariana grande is a much better singer than any of the others listed and her songs are actually good more often than not.

Ok so I guess that's one person better than 'Yonce?

quote:

Its a tossup in my opinion, maybe give the edge to TLC

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Cool NIN Shirt posted:

Ok so I guess that's one person better than 'Yonce?

not really since most of beyonce's songs also suck and she's a worse singer than the others (well except katy perry, who is probably the least vocally-talented pop singer since...christ, maybe ever?)

alicia keys is another name to toss out there, even if her last big hit (girl on fire) loving blew dicks.

Cool NIN Shirt
Nov 26, 2007

by vyelkin

Cubey posted:

not really since most of beyonce's songs also suck and she's a worse singer than the others (well except katy perry, who is probably the least vocally-talented pop singer since...christ, maybe ever?)

alicia keys is another name to toss out there, even if her last big hit (girl on fire) loving blew dicks.

I'll give you Alicia Keys, sure

Paranoid Peanut
Nov 13, 2009

Is tlc thick long cock? Cause that's what it looks like they're begging for

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

Cubey posted:

katy perry is famous because of her tits, and i have no problem with this.

Jesus Christ
Jun 1, 2000

mods if you can make this my avatar I will gladly pay 10bux to the coffers
If we're just talking about pop stars (because there are thousands of amazingly talented and beautiful women musicians, much moreso than Beyonce, if you look beyond Top-40) why has nobody mentioned Shirley Manson?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0AIIsfKGlV8

:swoon:

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Cubey posted:

diva and single ladies are two of the absolute worst songs ever recorded

I like your opinions on music. They are correct.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Cubey posted:

diva and single ladies are two of the absolute worst songs ever recorded

I like your opinions on music. They are correct.

krampster2
Jun 26, 2014

Horniest Manticore posted:

rap music is an oxymoron

oxymoron now you're talking

Gangsta, gangsta-gangsta, gangsta, gangsta-gangsta, we
Gangsta, gangsta-gangsta, gangsta, gangsta-gangsta, G
Gangsta, gangsta-gangsta, gangsta, gangsta-gangsta, groove
Gangsta, gangsta-gangsta, gangsta, gangsta-gangsta, Q

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man.
not necessarily glad but it's prob a good thing that at least one thing hov does is unsuccessful because gently caress dude this guy is unstoppable

ShaunO
Jan 29, 2006

krampster2 posted:

oxymoron now you're talking

Gangsta, gangsta-gangsta, gangsta, gangsta-gangsta, we
Gangsta, gangsta-gangsta, gangsta, gangsta-gangsta, G
Gangsta, gangsta-gangsta, gangsta, gangsta-gangsta, groove
Gangsta, gangsta-gangsta, gangsta, gangsta-gangsta, Q

faded like Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwhkQEFdcMs

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

Horniest Manticore posted:

kanye west is on this sinking ship too. as if it couldn't get any better!

nah he got off sorry op
http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/music/kanye-west-distances-tidal-music-service-article-1.2195152

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
I have no interest whatsoever in any of Beyonce's music, but I don't get how you can say she doesn't have a good voice.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

chippy posted:

I have no interest whatsoever in any of Beyonce's music, but I don't get how you can say she doesn't have a good voice.

her voice is fine when she actually sings instead of doing that abrasive shouting poo poo she does so often. there are artists who can make loud, abrasive music and do it well, beyonce is not one such artist.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Cubey posted:

her voice is fine when she actually sings instead of doing that abrasive shouting poo poo she does so often.

This, oh my god, this. R&B shout-singing is the worst now that the Hiphop Smurf effect is no longer popular.

And tidal can go suck a dick, it sounds like the worst idea ever.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

There's really nothing wrong with Jay-Z or Beyonce's music. Jay-Z's just deluded for thinking that he could go up against Apple with his own lovely music service.

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQWDLoXTXRM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6n1JPlRz2no

nigga

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
I can't tell if you guys are actually arguing about this poo poo or if you are trolling each other without realizing it.

Locker Room Zubaz
Aug 8, 2006

:horse:
~*~THE SECRET OF THE MAGICAL CRYSTALS IS THAT I'M FUCKING TERRIBLE~*~

lilljonas posted:

This, oh my god, this. R&B shout-singing is the worst now that the Hiphop Smurf effect is no longer popular.

And tidal can go suck a dick, it sounds like the worst idea ever.

tidal was Jay-Z trying to get sweet sweet buyout cash like Dre got for beats. The problem is Beats was a style brand that had a product that people really liked and tidal was just a list of really famous musicians wanting more money

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

opus111 posted:

katy perry is famous because of her tits, and i have no problem with this.

Spmeone postvthat gif of katy perry pn her knees on a stage woth her skirt flipped up as she casually observes it and flipsvthe skirt back over her rear end :getin:

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Locker Room Zubaz posted:

tidal was Jay-Z trying to get sweet sweet buyout cash like Dre got for beats. The problem is Beats was a style brand that had a product that people really liked and tidal was just a list of really famous musicians wanting more money

I love the concept: with our celbrity combined we can sell people anything! :haw: but then everyone said "no it's better to just download it for free haha"

ghost host
Apr 17, 2010

ain't got no cash
ain't go no style

Cubey posted:

nah dude beyonce kinda sucks. her best songs are mediocre and a lot of her songs are just plain irritating.

quote:

yesterday night AJ was talking to his roommate and they were both trying to figure out if i would get along with their other roommate’s new girlfriend (btw how do all of these white peoples names start with the letter s i swear this house sounds like an abc family sitcom.) AJ told him “well since she doesn’t like beyonce, probably not” and he apparently went on to be like “hyuck hyuck well i dont respect beyonce as an artist” and AJ told me that while he continued to talk he just slowly floated back up the stairs back into his room where he could hide and let all the bad energy and evil spirits vibrate off of him.

so now i find myself on this windy cold rainy monday morning stewin’ about this. i’m gonna be there in two weeks, and i’ve grown enough in my self discovery and sobriety to have been able to develop my own skin and be who i really am and not put on this default ~likeable as possible~ act that seems to be my default when meeting new people. nu uh, if you shell out poo poo i am gonna leave it right on the floor for you to step in, i ain’t cleanin up your drat mess i am gonna school your motherfuckin rear end and watch you slip and slide.

if you don’t like beyonce, and if you don’t like beyonce all while being a straight cis white person, you are probably doing beyonce very wrong, and you have been incapable of being able to experience what beyonce has done for so many people of color across the world. i told AJ this last night– i have no idea what i was doing before beyonce tossed her latest album into the internet-sphere on that holy night of december 13th 2013. i remember laying next to AJ on my bed, all decked out in triple chins and crumbs covering our bodies formation, and i got a text from christina out of nowhere, HOLLERING ABOUT HOW SOME NEW ALBUM BEYONCE DROPPED and AJ immediately went on itunes and bought it. ever since that album came into my life, i have felt stronger, more beautiful, more proud, and more capable of existing in my own skin in this type of world we live in. as a woman of color, who has been plagued by eating disorders, substance abuse, overwhelmed by the craving to escape my mind and my body because of crippling and deadly insecurity, growing up not knowing “what i am”, what the color of my skin meant, what it meant to be Black, what it meant to be White, not knowing what my purpose or my point was in this world. beyonce did for me what i could not do for myself. she helped point out to me that i am WORTHY, i am CAPABLE of achieving whatever the gently caress it is that i want, and that i can fuckin WAKE UP LIKE THIS (FLAWLESS) AND NOT HAVE ANYONE TELL ME OTHERWISE. i have watched a few beyonce documentaries, and i have really and truly heard every word she has said, seen every move she has made, and i can’t help but be inspired. “i dont respect beyonce as an artist”. if you are unable to truly see how the sanctity and beauty of what beyonce has done for little baby women of color across the globe, if you are unable to see that impact, that self love and acceptance that has bloomed like a million sunflowers in all the dark places of girls all over the world, and you don’t respect that? i don’t care who helps beyonce write her songs. i don’t care if the words “pop music” leave a mediocre and sour taste in peoples mouths. i care about the deep, profound impact that a woman of color, a type of person that this society has been conditioned to slut shame, sexualize, violate, demean, and not protect… if you are unable to care about the message of us little girls reclaiming our bodies, our minds, and our souls, that beyonce has helped us all see and find deep within ourselves… i straight up want nothing to do with you. it makes sense if you have only heard “drunk in love” and “that song about her having sex in a limo” and haven’t taken the initiative to look deeper into what beyonce is really all about, so THATS why you have your weak opinions on her. it makes sense. but before you go as so far as to say you don’t “respect” her, why not try to educate yourself and take your head out of your rear end and really truly look past your own drat self, and look past what only YOU can try and get out of the music thats in this world, and try and see what black girls everywhere want, and need, and look at who the gently caress is helpin’ them find peace through music. it’s revolutionary. it’s beyond anything you can hold in your hands. beyonce’s album has been with me through my sobriety, through walking down the street while being harassed by men, it’s been with me through my quieter moments and through loud and brash and sweaty ones. thank you beyonce FOR EVERYTHING and i legit will not let my precious bb ears listen to any white nonsense about you ever again so LOOK OUT MINNESOTA I TAKE NO PRISONERS IF YOU ARE GONNA BE IGNORANT AND MAKE STATEMENTS THAT ARE BASED ON YOUR INABILITY TO THINK ABOUT ANYONE BUT YOUR WHITE rear end SELF AND HAVE ZERO EMPATHY OR AWARENESS FOR ANYONE ELSE ON THIS PLANET U R GON DIE

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

SBW (Social Beyonce Warrior)

Locker Room Zubaz
Aug 8, 2006

Professor Shark posted:

I love the concept: with our celbrity combined we can sell people anything! :haw: but then everyone said "no it's better to just download it for free haha"

the thing is people have no problem paying for music with spotify and itunes they just have no desire to switch to another platform because its better for the artists or some stupid poo poo.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Mermaid Autopsy posted:

how are you feeling about win butler's involvement, whiteboy

Everyone in that picture is atleast half white.

Oggie
May 12, 2001

He's got style, a groovy style.
ITT about Tidal we mostly argue about Bouncey and Destiny's Child...

Really though, Tidal is a loving stupid idea and how Deadmau5, Daft Punk etc got caught up in the hype I will never understand. Though $$$$$ am I right?
Kanye seems to be distancing himself from the project already and I can't see it being long before the less retarded of those on the original bandwagon do the same. Being able to download music, legally has come so far with Spotify, iTunes, Google etc, the kind of exclusivity that fucktard Jay Z seems to have planned with Tidal would set the whole loving thing back 5 years and send people back to illegal downloading because they won't subscribe to multiple music providers.

Nagato
Apr 26, 2011

Why yes my username is the same as an autistic alien who looks like a 9 year old from an anime, why do ask?
:nyoron:

Oggie posted:

ITT about Tidal we mostly argue about Bouncey and Destiny's Child...

Really though, Tidal is a loving stupid idea and how Deadmau5, Daft Punk etc got caught up in the hype I will never understand. Though $$$$$ am I right?
Kanye seems to be distancing himself from the project already and I can't see it being long before the less retarded of those on the original bandwagon do the same. Being able to download music, legally has come so far with Spotify, iTunes, Google etc, the kind of exclusivity that fucktard Jay Z seems to have planned with Tidal would set the whole loving thing back 5 years and send people back to illegal downloading because they won't subscribe to multiple music providers.

haha youre right nice

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/music/kanye-west-distances-tidal-music-service-article-1.2195152

Locker Room Zubaz
Aug 8, 2006

I think this was all an elaborate plan to get VC funding and also renegotiate terms with itunes and spotify

Ocean Book
Sep 27, 2010

:yum: - hi
congrats on having an opinion

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Imo i would really like to see some celebrity get financially ruined by this

Bloodyshinta1
Aug 6, 2010
You know I, thug em, gently caress em, love em, leave em
Cause I don't loving need em
Take em out the hood, keep em looking good
But I don't loving feed em
First time they fuss I'm breezing
Talking bout, what's the reasons
I'm a pimp in every sense of the word, bitch
Better trust and believe em
In the cut where I keep em
Til I need a nut, til I need to beat the guts
Then it's "beep beep" and I'm picking them up
Let em play with the dick in the truck
Many chicks wanna put Jigga's fists in cuffs
Divorce him and split his bucks
Just because you got good head, I'mma break bread
So you can be living it up
poo poo I, part with nothing, y'all be fronting
Me give my heart to a woman
Not for nothing, never happen
I'll be forever macking
Heart cold as assassins, I got no passion, I got no patience
And I hate waiting, ho get your rear end in and let's ride

[Hook]
We doing: big pimping, we spending cheese (Check 'em out now)
Big pimping on B.L.A.D.E's
We doing big pimping up in N.Y.C
It's just that Jigga Man, Pimp C, and B-U-N B

Trebek
Mar 7, 2002
College Slice
Tidal had a spark when it started.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rambling Robot
Sep 13, 2011
Duggar Fan Club Superstar #1 LOL
at least we got the most awkward press conference ever made thanks to tidal.

rip tidal.

• Locked thread