Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I watched the first season when it originally aired but didn't pick up the next season. It's on Netflix mow, and I just finished rewarching the first season again and I'm on the second now.

This show suffers a lot from "Network TV Show" syndrome, with actors dropping out suddenly, characters always reminding wach other of plot points, and holy poo poo Abrams is just repeating the broad strokes from LOST and shoving them into a shittier version of X Files

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Yup

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Well yeah Abrams is.the storyteller equivalent of a snake oil salesman. He's living proof that slick visuals and careful marketing trump literally all else.

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man.
it's actually good op

there is a literal mad scientist lol i mean what the hell more do you want?

lorn Wayne
Jan 7, 2006

:staredog::meowth::pipe:
I found it got better, after starting out as a 'monster of the week' type dealie.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

OP is right. It's a non-sensical show that changes tone and plot so many times it's impossible to tell what the gently caress is happening or who characters are. Fringe is a bad show for dumb babies.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I really liked Charlie, aka tough Latino Cop guy in every show, but they just killed him off. That sucks because now Walter is the only likable character, and his eccentricity has been going down since the first half of season one

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer
I'm somewhere in the second season and I enjoy it. It's like a B movie version of the X-Files. Completely unbelievable with alright acting, but still keep watching it for some reason. 7/10 would watch again

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I like how virtually every episode is something that Walter has had a hand in personally years previously but just doesn't remember right away. The series should've been called "The forgetful mad scientist"

Locker Room Zubaz
Aug 8, 2006

:horse:
~*~THE SECRET OF THE MAGICAL CRYSTALS IS THAT I'M FUCKING TERRIBLE~*~

walter had part of his brain removed by Spock so that he couldn't go meddling in the other dimension he stole Peter from

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

its a bad show, OP, you are right

Locker Room Zubaz
Aug 8, 2006

Gimme that cortexefan baby

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Locker Room Zubaz posted:

walter had part of his brain removed by Spock so that he couldn't go meddling in the other dimension he stole Peter from

Is that the actual reason? I stopped watching just as Spock was introduced I think.

Huge Lady Pleaser
Jun 17, 2005

hello how r u doing im just looking for ppl 2 chill wit relax go out n have funn if ur looking for da same thing hit me up
Nap Ghost
It was alright until they resolved the plot in season 4. Season 5 was unforgiveable poo poo.

Also it was pretty cool to see how different the alternate version of Olivia acted. Anna Torv is a hot babe that can act.

Locker Room Zubaz
Aug 8, 2006

88h88 posted:

Is that the actual reason? I stopped watching just as Spock was introduced I think.

Yup, season 2, 3 and 4 are all pretty good TV because they decided the show should have a plot and not just be "WEIRD THINGS ARE HAPPENING"

FlimFlam Imam
Mar 1, 2007

Standing on a hill in my mountain of dreams
The X Files are on Netflix, just watch that instead.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Mad Monk posted:

The X Files are on Netflix, just watch that instead.

I tried Fringe; and decided this was the better option.

Just watch X-files

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

:agreed: It was sold to me as "X-Files but better" and instead it's "X-Files but not as good".

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Olivia's sister and niece hadn't been in this season much, I checked IMDB and they were quietly written out. I guess they didn't score well in group testing or something. Feels a lot like LOST and Weeds.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

My wife and I watched like four episodes and I went to start the next episode and she said, "do you like this show?" and I said, "not really" and then we watched Top of the Lake instead.

Locker Room Zubaz
Aug 8, 2006

Professor Shark posted:

Olivia's sister and niece hadn't been in this season much, I checked IMDB and they were quietly written out. I guess they didn't score well in group testing or something. Feels a lot like LOST and Weeds.

Lost was a great show though, it was entertaining almost every week

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Cloverfield is the only quality Abrams production :colbert:

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Professor Shark posted:

I always thought the niece would either turn out to be essential to the plot or something.

Instead lol its now 20 years later gently caress your sister and neice.

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005
CLIENT REQUESTED ELECTRONIC FUNDING RECEIPT (FUNDS NOW)
I liked the one-off episodes because the plot was terrible so I stopped watching it.

Otto von Ruthless
Oct 1, 2014
I don't know why people always complain about Abrams when it comes to Lost/Fringe. He just wrote the pilots then hosed off, so whatever you think about the shows it doesn't really have anything to do with him.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

He's the world's most successful Ideas Guy

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Oh wait maybe the terrible child actor is still in this dumb shw, I just checked the sister

I bet the sister dies off screen at some point

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

I want to watch Better Call Saul but it's not on Netflix.
I watched Breaking Bad and all of House this year so far, I need another show to waste all my time on, please recommendations, I like dramatic series that are usually depressing with really compelling lead actors.

Flo Cytometer
Apr 20, 2015

by Ralp
So it was basically like Millennium that nobody watched and remembers either?

MoreLikeTen
Oct 21, 2012

The farmer's mistake was believing he had any control over his life.

JebanyPedal posted:

I want to watch Better Call Saul but it's not on Netflix.
I watched Breaking Bad and all of House this year so far, I need another show to waste all my time on, please recommendations, I like dramatic series that are usually depressing with really compelling lead actors.

Battlestar Galactica?

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I loving hate shows that are 95% filler but then crams in the plot in the last 5 minutes to keep moving the lovely story. loving lazy. show would have been better if it copied xfiles more often.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

MoreLikeTen posted:

Battlestar Galactica?

Nah man that looks gay.

Flo Cytometer
Apr 20, 2015

by Ralp

JebanyPedal posted:

Nah man that looks gay.

Slings & Arrows :colbert:

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
the only thing that made Fringe watchable was John Noble

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

a bone to pick posted:

I loving hate shows that are 95% filler but then crams in the plot in the last 5 minutes to keep moving the lovely story.

Burn Notice in a nutshell.

Except the problem was the 95 percent filler was the fun part, and the plot was a cancer that basically consumed the show by season 3.

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

i couldn't get past the first season. it seemed like x-files, but all the things about x-files i liked: the grunginess, the juxtaposition of supernatural and extraterrestrial strangeness against the drab grays and the shadowy corridors of federal bureaucracy - replaced with the techno gee-whiz of a csi show. mulder and scully worked out of a basement office and the rest of the fbi treated them like a joke. these fringe guys have a huge studio/lab in an ivy league college.

i dropped off around about the episode where the parallel universe stuff starts getting off the ground. i really don't know where the show's going with that, and it seems interesting. sometimes i think i should just go back to it, but i don't have that kind of time to binge watch a show these days.

Mr. Pumroy fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Apr 23, 2015

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Flo Cytometer posted:

Slings & Arrows :colbert:

That actually looks cool.

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
the explanation for the Weird poo poo was constantly changing and the metaplot was incoherent until like season 3 and that really grinds my gears, OP

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Mr. Pumroy posted:

i couldn't get past the first season.

The first season was rocky as poo poo. The first ep or so was good, but then it just kind of meandered around and picked up again towards the end of season one. I don't really think its excuseble when people go "BUT BUT IT GETS GOOD I PROMISE!" but it actually does improve a lot and pretty great for S2-S4.

also

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Fringe did one thing that I liked. In the third season there was this plot about the "first people" who left behind some advanced technology and all that poo poo, and I was rolling my eyes pretty hard.

Until the last episode of the season, where it turns out it was some stuff Walter made and then tossed in a wormhole in Central Park

• Locked thread