Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Mr. Pumroy posted:

i couldn't get past the first season. it seemed like x-files, but all the things about x-files i liked: the grunginess, the juxtaposition of supernatural and extraterrestrial strangeness against the drab grays and the shadowy corridors of federal bureaucracy - replaced with the techno gee-whiz of a csi show. mulder and scully worked out of a basement office and the rest of the fbi treated them like a joke. these fringe guys have a huge studio/lab in an ivy league college.

i dropped off around about the episode where the parallel universe stuff starts getting off the ground. i really don't know where the show's going with that, and it seems interesting. sometimes i think i should just go back to it, but i don't have that kind of time to binge watch a show these days.

The X-files parts were good, but then they actually meshed together explaining poo poo later on. The digging alien device? That's explained later on.

The parallel universe stuff was loving excellent, just that they loving decided to forget about it for the last season for a stupid temporal war.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Until the last episode of the season, where it turns out it was some stuff Walter made and then tossed in a wormhole in Central Park

That's the suckiest part of it all. Walter created everything.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
never expect anything, op

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I actually liked the 5th season of fringe. Bunch of people die,olivia has some control over her powers, peter tries to become an observer (thought that was an awesome subplot), and it brought an end to JJ abram's parallel universe obsession.

Locker Room Zubaz
Aug 8, 2006

:horse:
~*~THE SECRET OF THE MAGICAL CRYSTALS IS THAT I'M FUCKING TERRIBLE~*~

:horse:

JebanyPedal posted:

I want to watch Better Call Saul but it's not on Netflix.
I watched Breaking Bad and all of House this year so far, I need another show to waste all my time on, please recommendations, I like dramatic series that are usually depressing with really compelling lead actors.

Six Feet Under is one of the best Drama's ever. IDK how well it aged but it was really really good when i watched it a few years ago, way better than House

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
when olivia started larping as spock i put a bullet through my skull and in dead now

just watch supernatural or something. after about season 4 it sort of accepts that its ridiculous trash and runs with it, and if youre a pervert theres tons of slash for you to read

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

A few weeks ago some goon said that in thevalt universe the people lived in sky ships or something and that made me want to watch Fringe. Do they drop that entire part of the show for the last season?

Flo Cytometer
Apr 20, 2015

by Ralp

Locker Room Zubaz posted:

Six Feet Under is one of the best Drama's ever. IDK how well it aged but it was really really good when i watched it a few years ago, way better than House

Well, it started as a nice piece of dark humor with drama underpinings and then went all fucktarded.

I stopped watching house Season 3, or 4. I own the DVD sets since I got them as gifts, but I can't be bothered.

Lunchabully
Jul 20, 2003
Pillbug

Ehud posted:

My wife and I watched like four episodes and I went to start the next episode and she said, "do you like this show?" and I said, "not really" and then we watched Top of the Lake instead.

This was a really good decision, nice job

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I tried to watch an episode once. Got to the post where some woman does the cliche " drat it i'm a good cop because I get emotionally invested " and so I realized there's no actual hint of originality in the show and turned it off

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
It's kinda like the shows nerds never shut the gently caress up about are pretty campy and poorly made

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
abrams has never had his hand in anything genuinely good, and he's making the next star wars

gently caress

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Booblord Zagats posted:

It's kinda like the shows nerds never shut the gently caress up about are pretty campy and poorly made

dats firefly

no nerd really talks about fringe anymore, even when it was on it wasnt that popular

Male Tiers
Dec 27, 2012

Why don't you just lay down your weapons now?
Can't believe people are still talking about this poo poo show. I remember my parents watched it. The only episode I remember was about how the military or something created babies that matured super quick so they could grow soldiers. The protagonists found one of these guys and he was already an old man and then I think he turned to dust or something quickly after that. Even teenage me knew there's a difference between aging and maturation. :argh:

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

mind the walrus posted:

Well yeah Abrams is.the storyteller equivalent of a snake oil salesman. He's living proof that slick visuals and careful marketing trump literally all else.

Abrams literally had nothing to do with the show after the pilot, so you're actually right because even goons who think they're too smart for marketing still attribute everything to the name marketing used to promote the show

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
if you want a modern X-Files just watch Supernatural. it has all the same writers and the same Canadian actors and locations only with a different coating of genre paint

Male Tears posted:

Can't believe people are still talking about this poo poo show. I remember my parents watched it. The only episode I remember was about how the military or something created babies that matured super quick so they could grow soldiers. The protagonists found one of these guys and he was already an old man and then I think he turned to dust or something quickly after that. Even teenage me knew there's a difference between aging and maturation. :argh:

television isn't real

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Sleeveless posted:

Abrams literally had nothing to do with the show after the pilot, so you're actually right because even goons who think they're too smart for marketing still attribute everything to the name marketing used to promote the show

Well its kind of strange how nearly everything JJ abrams touches has to include alternate universes to explain away lovely plotlines that never make sense.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
On the subject of this, I think there's a guy who does the conspiracy circuit named Andrew Basiago who I think claims the TV show Fringe based everything on his real life... WITHOUT his permission.

GoonGPT
May 26, 2006

Posting for a better future, today!
The show was alright as a monster-of-the-week style show, kind of a low rent X-Files in HD if you will.

Then it became a fan-service wankfest and basically unwatchable.

tl;dr goons killed this show

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Sleeveless posted:

i think his band made some songs for the show

Mr.Smiley4
Jul 4, 2007
Send him to Detroit!
Fringe is p good. Had a good ending that tied up the main loose ends of the show in a satisfying way (unlike loving Lost and BSG), and featured a lot of great acting that saved the show from some of its awful storylines (SOUL MAGNETS). I'd say the bread & butter of the show is seasons 3-5, with 1 & 2 filled with some good stuff but a lot of poo poo too.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

It's cool how Abrams can use coke to come up with TV and movie ideas by combing different TV and movies that came out before.

Abrams: I'm gunna make a show SNNNIIIIFFFFFFF based on Lord of the Flies only SNNNIIIIFFFFFFF combined with Twin Peaks and then make a movie SNNNIIIIFFFFFFF based on Godzilla only SNNNIIIIFFFFFFF combined with the aliens from Independence Day SNNNIIIIFFFFFFF

Edit: and by cool I mean terrible and bad

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

It's gay.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.
The X-Files was a crappy show that was totally watchable because the two leads did a great job making their characters interesting and likable. Fringe was a much better show, but the two leads were terrible lifeless C-list props. They should have been written out so it could have just been about the crazy drugged out mad scientist dropping acid and trying to save the universe.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

mind the walrus posted:

Well yeah Abrams is.the storyteller equivalent of a snake oil salesman. He's living proof that slick visuals and careful marketing trump literally all else.

not uh star trek ROCKED

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Frankenstyle posted:

The X-Files was a crappy show that was totally watchable because the two leads did a great job making their characters interesting and likable. Fringe was a much better show, but the two leads were terrible lifeless C-list props. They should have been written out so it could have just been about the crazy drugged out mad scientist dropping acid and trying to save the universe.

no no no you're dumb shut up. X-files was carried by the main characters but the mutants of the week were always great, the smoking man's backstory and mulder's dad's were great and you're ignoring Skinner. Not only that, they kept the continuous story to like 4 episodes per season (lol) because it couldn't carry the show, but what story they had was coherent up until like season 7 or 8 after mulder left. At the very least they used believable pseudo science to explain most of the poo poo in the show.

fringe has an awful story with embarrassing plot devices like "soul magnets", constant doomsday devices, and dumb poo poo like how peter is "the chosen one". The story loving sucked and olivia is a cold, unempathetic character. I remember one of the episodes where it was done completely with cgi or computer animations where they enter olivia's dream and it was the most awkward things I've ever watched in my life, horrible animations and terrible directing. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lysergic_Acid_Diethylamide_%28Fringe%29. Then they just gave up on actual "fringe science" and went full-fantasy where absolutely nothing was believable in the show.

fringe is loving dumb.

a bone to pick fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Apr 23, 2015

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.
Nah. X-files was a weekly battle with Swamp monsters and vampire towns, and yet somehow every other character was like "Mulder would be a good cop it wasn't for his bigfoot fetish". Then the overarching story had the same problem as Lost with the whole "Let's set up a super mystery without any idea where we're going so that we write ourselves into a corner where there's no payoff for the hype". It was a bad show with with a good cast and a handfull of great episodes. Like the hillbilly episode, goddamn.

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006
i think a part of what made the xfiles own so hard was the atmosphere. the music and environments and lighting and poo poo made it super creepy.

some of the writing wasn't great but i think as a whole it was pretty solid. until the last couple of seasons. when they brought in budget-mulder and super saiyan soldier alien hybrids

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006
on second thought budget mulder did a pretty good job but the fact that he even had to be introduced suggested that maybe the xfiles had begun to over stay its welcome

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!
Every time I try to binge through all of the X-Files I get stuck in season 7. Usually it's that goddam Kathy Griffin episode. Or that one ep with Scully walking around in slow motion to sexy music that feels like a fever dream, I can't even look it up because I don't think anything actually happens

GoonGPT
May 26, 2006

Posting for a better future, today!
If you haven't tapped out by the time X-Files gets to the first movie you should seriously question whether you have better things to do with your life.

GoonGPT fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Apr 23, 2015

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Fringe did one thing that I liked. In the third season there was this plot about the "first people" who left behind some advanced technology and all that poo poo, and I was rolling my eyes pretty hard.

Until the last episode of the season, where it turns out it was some stuff Walter made and then tossed in a wormhole in Central Park

Guess the writers liked Assasins Creed.

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!
yeah I don't like how it cuts into my forum posting time

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Sleeveless posted:

Abrams is a blanket term for all the assholes involved in the production of Fringe, much in the same way we credit Tarantino or Cameron for their projects despite being the collaberative efforts of literally hundreds of people. Cool that you're a pedant about it though.

Huge Lady Pleaser
Jun 17, 2005

hello how r u doing im just looking for ppl 2 chill wit relax go out n have funn if ur looking for da same thing hit me up
Nap Ghost

JediTalentAgent posted:

On the subject of this, I think there's a guy who does the conspiracy circuit named Andrew Basiago who I think claims the TV show Fringe based everything on his real life... WITHOUT his permission.

I looked this up lol

quote:

Basiago reveals that President Barack Obama (who was known to him as Barry Soetoro at the time) was his classmate in a Mars training program held at the College of the Siskiyous in 1980. Other classmates were Regina E. Dugan who Obama appointed Director of Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA) in 2009, William C. McCool who was piloting the Space Shuttle Columbia when it disintegrated, and William Brett Stillings. Stillings says he also traveled to Mars and saw Obama on the planet. Stillings and Basiago say that the class was taught by Major Ed Dames who was a Captain at that time.

Dudes pretty crazy but there are a lot of overlaps between his story and Fringe.

Nefarious
Sep 26, 2000

by XyloJW
just watch x files OP

Shaddak
Nov 13, 2011

Flo Cytometer posted:

So it was basically like Millennium that nobody watched and remembers either?

Hey, Millennium was amazing. At least for the first two seasons. Season 3 was like an abortion that didn't die. They thought they were getting canceled, so they went out with a bang at the end of season 2. Fox came back to them and, basically, said "LOL, just kidding! give us another season." That's why season 3 is so bad. Don't know if the same scenario holds true for Fringe season 5.

FrankenVader
Sep 12, 2004
Polymer Records

Professor Shark posted:

I watched the first season when it originally aired but didn't pick up the next season. It's on Netflix mow, and I just finished rewarching the first season again and I'm on the second now.

This show suffers a lot from "Network TV Show" syndrome, with actors dropping out suddenly, characters always reminding wach other of plot points, and holy poo poo Abrams is just repeating the broad strokes from LOST and shoving them into a shittier version of X Files

you shut your dirty whore mouth

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013

JebanyPedal posted:

I watched Breaking Bad and all of House this year so far, I need another show to waste all my time on, please recommendations, I like dramatic series that are usually depressing with really compelling lead actors.

I would recommend fellow AMC show Halt and Catch Fire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

JebanyPedal posted:

The shield
Rome

• Locked thread