Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
z335is
Jul 18, 2011
Hey everyone, I just received a job offer yesterday and was hoping you could lend some advice on how I should proceed. I'll first list my current role, salary, etc followed by the new job:

Current Role
Senior Systems Analyst (6 years at company, healthcare industry)
Salary - 70k + 5% yearly bonus
401k - Company matches 4 of the first 6 percent

Potential Role
Systems Engineer (biopharma industry)
Salary - 90k + 7% yearly bonus
401k - Company matches 150 percent of the first 6 percent (so if I put in 6 percent, they would put in 9)
-------------------------------

The commute for both is about the same and the new job is also in a newly renovated office. I know the numbers say that it's a no-brainer, but the comfortability factor with my current job is what I mainly think about, as I've gotten very good at what I do. The new role would of course require some additional responsibilities that I would have to get up to speed on, which makes me nervous.

One other potential driver is that my current company was bought out about three months ago, and although things are fine now, you never really know with acquisitions.

Thanks in advance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

You would give up an effective (immediate) difference in compensation of $28,527 per year (a 37.3% raise) because you are scared of learning a new job?

Not to mention the opportunity cost of future career earnings/social security income/etc that you would also be giving up.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web
Getting to learn new skills is a plus, not a minus, unless you're over 60 or something. Take the job, learn new things, make more money.

z335is
Jul 18, 2011

Droo posted:

You would give up an effective (immediate) difference in compensation of $28,527 per year (a 37.3% raise) because you are scared of learning a new job?

Not to mention the opportunity cost of future career earnings/social security income/etc that you would also be giving up.

Honestly it's not that I'm scared of learning a new job, it's just that we all tend to "up-sell" ourselves in interviews and I'm worried that if I don't hit the ground running, I might be in trouble. That being said, I suppose it's easy enough for me to read up and fill some of the knowledge gaps between now and when I would start.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer
This is how you advance today. It used to be "get promoted, get regular raises, work the same job for 40 years." Now, it's "apply someplace else, get more money."

And as you point out, given the recent acquisition, it's a roll of the dice either way. I think you're nuts to stick around.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Take the new job. Get paid.

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck

z335is posted:

Honestly it's not that I'm scared of learning a new job, it's just that we all tend to "up-sell" ourselves in interviews and I'm worried that if I don't hit the ground running, I might be in trouble. That being said, I suppose it's easy enough for me to read up and fill some of the knowledge gaps between now and when I would start.

This, plus any new company will expect that it will have to train you on its best practices and procedures.

fuseshock
Aug 7, 2010
Last week, I started my new job. I quit last Friday. I knew it wasn't for me. At least you're not a slave, so I would probably just take the new job given the salary and additional responsibilities, and see where it goes from there. Ask yourself if this is truly the Company you want to work for and the role you want for the rest of your career.

One of the things lacking in my new opportunity was the structured training program and everyone was way too busy to teach, and I decided it just wasn't right for me personally as well. I would presume in most cases someone will sit down with you to go over things and make sure you understand how to do those responsibilities so I would not worry.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
I would take that in a heartbeat. 9% employer 401k match on 90k? Are you loving kidding me? That alone would be almost worth the jump, let alone a bonus increase of several thousand and a base increase of 20k. And if you do well in this new role, you'll be able to jump again in a few years to the mid-six figures most likely.

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Op, take that job. There is zero reason not to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

z335is
Jul 18, 2011
Thanks for the input guys, I'm gonna man up and go for it.

• Locked thread