Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

CrookedB posted:

I do regret that I'm not as entertaining a commentator as I wish I was, however. The Wizardry IV LP may not have suffered too much due to that because it was pretty much an encyclopedia-style LP, but the rest of the LPs I did weren't as good. I'm glad I had the chance to show off a couple of cool old RPGs, though.

You shut your dumb face I loved those LPs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012
Congratulations; this is the Let's Play Thread of the Day for the 26th of May, 2015

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

no they will not posted:

Congratulations; this is the Let's Play Thread of the Day for the 26th of May, 2015

Wow, that's a super cool logo, thanks no they will not! Your excellence in graphic design skills almost make up for your extremely unfunny posting!

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012

Suspicious Dish posted:

Wow, that's a super cool logo, thanks no they will not! Your excellence in graphic design skills almost make up for your extremely unfunny posting!

That's extremely mean. It's illegal to be mean to me

Lord Waffle Beard
Dec 7, 2013

Suspicious Dish posted:

Does it make you feel better about yourself to flame someones artwork and there posts when they try to do something nice?

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Lord Waffle Beard posted:

Does it make you feel better about yourself to flame someones artwork and there posts when they try to do something nice?

Sorry, you must have misread me! I said I think it's an excellent logo!

EDIT: what happened to your m'fontcache avatar, no they will not? I really liked it!

Suspicious Dish fucked around with this message at 02:06 on May 26, 2015

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012

Suspicious Dish posted:

Sorry, you must have misread me! I said I think it's an excellent logo!

EDIT: what happened to your m'fontcache avatar, no they will not? I really liked it!

I gave it to Valeyard, the original creator of the m'fontcache meme.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
I discovered LPs through TV tropes of all places.

So I thought why not? I can do that too!

My first effort was Star Fleet Command: Volume 2: Empires At War. I was, and still am, an avid SFB player, so a video game of a board game I loved would be easy, right?

Well, it was. For the most part. You see, I knew next to nothing about video editing, audio work and everything else that goes with it. I did everything in Windows Movie Maker (for XP, the good version), and the only place I posted the LP was on the SFB website and Dynaverse. At least I had enough sense to record in FRAPS.

~75 videos. Some as short as 3 minutes, others longer than 15. And you know what? I look back on it fondly. Yes, I was doing things I cringe at now, but there were enough honestly great moments that I can't reject it outright.

I really do want to go back and re-do it as a better LP'er, but that is a task for a different decade.

After that, I quit LPs for a while until I discovered the Archive. Many many hours were spent reading SSLPs and watching videos before a goon friend of mine - Tindalos told me about the FF7 LP here, and I paid up my :bux: to see what it it was all about. And I fell in love with the concept all over again.

So after a year of false starts, self-doubt and a new laptop, I started MechCommander. And it was fun! I got to meet Poptarts Ninja and Paingod556 through it, and as a VLP, it really worked out. I moved from subtitling to commentary half-way through the LP, but that was because I got enough people interested that I could do that. The game was fun, the co-commentators had a blast, and everything was actually pretty good because I knew I wanted to do more.

My next LP was Urban Chaos. This time I found a co-commentator out of the Sandcastle by the name of Arthur D. Wolfe, who stuck with me through this LP as I vastly improved my technical skill. I know I had fun with it, even when the updates started to slow down a bit. I even tried to get a hold of some of the people who worked on the game, but could only get in contact with Gordanski's VA, who barely remembered the game at all. :(

So I moved on to Exile: Escape from the Pit. Another LP long in the planning, this one was a narrative SSLP, which was a whole different beast than any VLP. An old-school RPG, I read Nakar's Ultima stuff again in prep for it, and when it was ready, I started it up, where I found a cadre of loyal followers who helped, cajoled and appreciated my work.

You see, I'm an author. I've only got one published work, but I've written a whole lot more, so the story I was building in Exile 1 played to that as I could flesh out the skeletons of the party and the world around me. But it was also a massive piece of work. My flow was horrible, and I was running around the game so much in service of the story that I'm still shocked no one called me out on it. Yet I developed and improved my skills with that long story, and I quite enjoyed building up the party that others gave to me into actual people. But like MechCommander, this was a labor of love and from it I was pushed into finishing off the trilogy.

But before that, I got roped into doing MechCommander 2. I didn't love this game. I hated it. I still do. Here's a secret - I've never finished the game, and I hoped that by doing an LP, I could actually do so.

I burned out halfway through the LP, and this is the only LP I've deleted. Here is the lesson I learned: LP the games you love, because if you can't adore a game, even with it's flaws, forcing yourself through it for the sake of others is just begging for failure.

After that, I took a break, then did a game that I knew I could finish - Homeworld. Dear lord, I needed to get a better editor for that. And I think I would love to do it again, or perhaps do the Remastered version. But there's something about that ancient game that speaks to the soul and was in general, an awesome game.

While I was doing that, I started on Exile 2: Crystal Souls, which is still running. I figured running the two concurrently would allow me to focus on one or the other. Big mistake. And my update schedule for E2 has suffered for it as I focused on the easier to produce Homeworld. But I know the game is good, and I view this as a long-term project. No sense in rushing it. It's still in progress though, so I'm not ready to hind-sight it yet.

Homeworld: Cataclysm came on the heels of Homeworld, and it shows as I started it a week after HW finished. This was a different kind of energy as I was playing for a single moment in the campaign where I could sit back, grin, and show all these idiotic modern games how to do character development. And I wouldn't change or take back that moment for anything - for when that moment came I felt righteous.

And that led into Homeworld 2. Another LP that I don't love, but don't hate either, I felt compelled to do it because it isn't that long of a game and it finishes off the series. It's not done yet, though as I write this, the next two missions are getting prepped for subtitling. After that is done, I think I'm going to finish Exile 2, then take a break for a bit. I've been doing LPs pretty much non-stop for over two years now, and I want to step back and get myself together. I've seen what comes of doing things because people want you to, and after HW2 and E2, I need the breather.

Here's to years more of LPs!

Surprisingly Dope
Jan 12, 2011

Lope burgs again

berryjon posted:

I discovered LPs through TV tropes of all places.

So I thought why not? I can do that too!

My first effort was Star Fleet Command: Volume 2: Empires At War. I was, and still am, an avid SFB player, so a video game of a board game I loved would be easy, right?

Well, it was. For the most part. You see, I knew next to nothing about video editing, audio work and everything else that goes with it. I did everything in Windows Movie Maker (for XP, the good version), and the only place I posted the LP was on the SFB website and Dynaverse. At least I had enough sense to record in FRAPS.

~75 videos. Some as short as 3 minutes, others longer than 15. And you know what? I look back on it fondly. Yes, I was doing things I cringe at now, but there were enough honestly great moments that I can't reject it outright.

I really do want to go back and re-do it as a better LP'er, but that is a task for a different decade.

After that, I quit LPs for a while until I discovered the Archive. Many many hours were spent reading SSLPs and watching videos before a goon friend of mine - Tindalos told me about the FF7 LP here, and I paid up my :bux: to see what it it was all about. And I fell in love with the concept all over again.

So after a year of false starts, self-doubt and a new laptop, I started MechCommander. And it was fun! I got to meet Poptarts Ninja and Paingod556 through it, and as a VLP, it really worked out. I moved from subtitling to commentary half-way through the LP, but that was because I got enough people interested that I could do that. The game was fun, the co-commentators had a blast, and everything was actually pretty good because I knew I wanted to do more.

My next LP was Urban Chaos. This time I found a co-commentator out of the Sandcastle by the name of Arthur D. Wolfe, who stuck with me through this LP as I vastly improved my technical skill. I know I had fun with it, even when the updates started to slow down a bit. I even tried to get a hold of some of the people who worked on the game, but could only get in contact with Gordanski's VA, who barely remembered the game at all. :(

So I moved on to Exile: Escape from the Pit. Another LP long in the planning, this one was a narrative SSLP, which was a whole different beast than any VLP. An old-school RPG, I read Nakar's Ultima stuff again in prep for it, and when it was ready, I started it up, where I found a cadre of loyal followers who helped, cajoled and appreciated my work.

You see, I'm an author. I've only got one published work, but I've written a whole lot more, so the story I was building in Exile 1 played to that as I could flesh out the skeletons of the party and the world around me. But it was also a massive piece of work. My flow was horrible, and I was running around the game so much in service of the story that I'm still shocked no one called me out on it. Yet I developed and improved my skills with that long story, and I quite enjoyed building up the party that others gave to me into actual people. But like MechCommander, this was a labor of love and from it I was pushed into finishing off the trilogy.

But before that, I got roped into doing MechCommander 2. I didn't love this game. I hated it. I still do. Here's a secret - I've never finished the game, and I hoped that by doing an LP, I could actually do so.

I burned out halfway through the LP, and this is the only LP I've deleted. Here is the lesson I learned: LP the games you love, because if you can't adore a game, even with it's flaws, forcing yourself through it for the sake of others is just begging for failure.

After that, I took a break, then did a game that I knew I could finish - Homeworld. Dear lord, I needed to get a better editor for that. And I think I would love to do it again, or perhaps do the Remastered version. But there's something about that ancient game that speaks to the soul and was in general, an awesome game.

While I was doing that, I started on Exile 2: Crystal Souls, which is still running. I figured running the two concurrently would allow me to focus on one or the other. Big mistake. And my update schedule for E2 has suffered for it as I focused on the easier to produce Homeworld. But I know the game is good, and I view this as a long-term project. No sense in rushing it. It's still in progress though, so I'm not ready to hind-sight it yet.

Homeworld: Cataclysm came on the heels of Homeworld, and it shows as I started it a week after HW finished. This was a different kind of energy as I was playing for a single moment in the campaign where I could sit back, grin, and show all these idiotic modern games how to do character development. And I wouldn't change or take back that moment for anything - for when that moment came I felt righteous.

And that led into Homeworld 2. Another LP that I don't love, but don't hate either, I felt compelled to do it because it isn't that long of a game and it finishes off the series. It's not done yet, though as I write this, the next two missions are getting prepped for subtitling. After that is done, I think I'm going to finish Exile 2, then take a break for a bit. I've been doing LPs pretty much non-stop for over two years now, and I want to step back and get myself together. I've seen what comes of doing things because people want you to, and after HW2 and E2, I need the breather.

Here's to years more of LPs!

I'll drink to that!

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
"I hate making LPs more than anything, and I hate every LP I've made, but I have a mission from God to tell everyone what the numbers mean in Digimon World 3" - uncharacteristically concise statement by lets play IRC mod Poochy2

Mush Man
Jun 25, 2010

Nintendo announces Frolf means Frog Golf.
Oven Wrangler

Suspicious Dish posted:

Haha, I think this post sums up the whole forum.

Person: Let's have fun!
LP: Pff, really dude? No way.
Person: I have a bad retrospect on this.

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Academagia

If I were to sum up my own LP "career," Academagia would top the list. I warned people right in the thread title that there would be words aplenty, and boy howdy was I right. I'd first found out about the game from (you guessed it) a failed LP that died a few updates in, and I had a lot of fun playing it and seeing the absolutely absurd variety of things you can get up to. Academagia was probably my single biggest project, at least before Deus Ex, involving two updates each week which regularly ran up against the character limit, and this despite how I had a full-time job at the same time. Thanks to my particular style I didn't often make note of my personal additions or corrections, and I like to think I managed to fool not a few people into reading my original work. I also liked that I both fooled and didn't fool people with my little scheme at the end, because while it's flattering to consider oneself cleverer than the audience, it's bad form to have a twist that isn't properly foreshadowed.

This LP was good enough that I bought the game once it was over, even though I would never play it, simply because it seemed like the right thing to do after having gotten so much enjoyment from it. I'm just sad that we'll never see Year 2 (and Iliana's adventures therein.) Just went and looked at the thread again, too - since all the pictures were on lpix, they're still there. I think it's time for a re-read. . .

Oh, and why the hell not -
Half-Life Decay:

Xarph and I did this way back in, jesus, 2008? No clue what were were doing, just a pair of friends playing a terrible game, making terrible jokes, and inflicting a hell of a lot of circus music on viewers. Good times - I've got to rope him into doing another coop LP like this again, old-school style. (I still work with him, so that shouldn't be too hard. . .)

TwoDayLife
Jan 26, 2006

On a two-day vacation
*poot*

Sure, this seems like a fun thread.

I have a confession to make, I'm pretty sure my Work Time Fun LP completely broke me. I don't why I got the idea to attempt a semi-completionist run of it.
It's an amusing game but I dropped way too much time and effort on trying to show off as much as I could. It didn't help much that all the mini-games were designed to be as annoying as possible and beating some of them required hours of practice.
Part way through I kinda gave on the trinket collection aspect of it and near the end I installed a save-state mod on my psp so that I could complete the final mini-game (A Dragon Quest type game where everything pretty much killed you in one hit).
Then right after I completed the WTF I attempted to transcribe the Sega CD game PANIC! into a Choose Your Own Adventure game on Youtube.
Turns out, Youtube's annotation system is utter poo poo for this sort of thing and I made the mistake of trying to include Japanese screens that were excluded from the english version. One of these screens was of a Japanese keyboard with about 56 Kanji all of which needed to be transcribed into click-able annotations for YouTube. At this point something in me snapped and I had to abandon the project. I haven't really had the drive to make anymore LPs. Playing games almost feels like a chore if I do it for more than hour or so.

Fun Fact: Somebody went and thumbed down all my WTF videos that feature Muscle Ramen guy.

I'm still pretty proud of my first LP Woodruff and the Schnibble of Azimuth. I probably put more effort into those videos than any other game I worked on. There's a couple of cringe-worthy jokes that I regret adding as well as a clip from Jamesman's Chulip lp that doesn't really belong, but besides that I'm kinda happy with how it all came out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I.N.R.I posted:

"I hate making LPs more than anything, and I hate every LP I've made, but I have a mission from God to tell everyone what the numbers mean in Digimon World 3" - uncharacteristically concise statement by lets play IRC mod Poochy2

• Locked thread