Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.

Fleve posted:

Learning to recognize the telltale waveform spike of mouth noises and breathing took me a while, and deleting all that takes even longer, but I can no longer not do it.

The day I discovered that the Low Pass Filter pretty much completely eliminates those noises was a day of great joy - and great shame when I realized how many stupid ways I'd found to do it along the way. I still run all of my commentary through a ClickRepair program just because I paid for it (yeah, it bothers me THAT MUCH), but cleaning up any remaining sounds is usually simple and quick, and if I get too frustrated, I just re-record a line or two until I'm satisfied.

I see so many LPs in this thread that I loved, and hearing about how the creators didn't like them (or at least had problems with them) makes me want to reassure everyone that we're all doing a great job and getting better doesn't make what we did in the past bad or wrong in any way. Then I realize I'd have to apply that logic to my own portfolio and think maybe that's too big a step for the moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I've been playing Shadowrun (SNES) for many many many years, and when I lp'd it it wasn't until after that people told me that Dog had anything to do with it, I had skipped most of the Dog stuff when I played.

My Shadowrun (GENS) always felt like it could have been a lot better, and I was so happy to have people paying attention I did the whole thing in a week.

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.
to this day i do not understand why anyone watches my videos

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
i actually loathe and despise all videogames in general and only play them for let's play

i tell myself i could stop at anytime, but i just need the money more than a realize

Bible Ian Black
Jul 16, 2009

I'M THE GUY
WHO SUCKS

PLUS I GOT
DEPRESSION
I've only attempted 2 LPs here. I think the issue is that I keep trying to jump into daunting projects without starting small and giving myself room to grow or prepare. Monster Rancher Advance 2 is basically non-linear which made it difficult to plan out and after I got Lyme disease during it I lost motivation to continue it. Shadowrun Dragonfall was a stupid idea because it involved transcribing PAGES of text and I couldn't find a dump of it online anywhere so all the 'neat' ideas I had fell apart immediately because when the time came I couldn't be arsed into transcribing all the text in the first sodding hub area visit. (Btw if anyone actually read that at all this is basically my 'Dragonfall is canceled' confirmation, woopsie.)

I guess my issue with trying to LP is that I was trying to use it as a way to share things I truly enjoy, but I also don't have the follow through for the tedium of the SSLP format.

long story short is let's play dark souls (LORE FRIENDLY EDITION) coming soon (not really [or maybe it is (nah)])

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

As for my SSLP's, I'd say my two biggest projects were the Quest for Glory series and Academagia. Regarding the first, I wish I hadn't been quite so juvenile in my attempts at humor and "improving" the story, and while I never hear anyone talk about the latter, I still have a soft spot for Iliana's antics and how much she taught me about writing a long-form story.
I take full credit for giving you the initial character idea :)

Seriously though, that was a pretty good LP (though one I hesitate to ever re-read purely due to how dense it is)

Mega64 posted:

That said, if there was one LP I'd redo, it'd be Legend of Mana. I kinda regret going a narrative route for that one, and I mainly did it because there was already a regular one and wanted to differentiate a take on my favorite game. I also butchered a lot of GIFs since I was still new at making them and by the end was so burned out I skipped a bunch of side stuff I wanted to cover. The narrative itself was more stale and dull than offensively bad, and I eventually just did batches of commentary alongside the narrative anyway. That said, I doubt I'd ever redo it since the game took me like eight months to do to begin with.

I really liked that LP. The other one was just the dullest freaking thing.

As for myself:

Blastinus posted:

My first LP was an amazing disaster that I loved from start to finish. I'm referring, of course, to my part in Xander77's Live-a-Live LP. As a guy with only a vague idea how to take good screenshots and no idea how to make GIF's, movies, or decent portraits, I was basically setting myself up for failure from the word go. As much as I love to go back and kick myself for my idiotic jokes and constant excuses, I've come to realize that everyone needs a starting point.

Ditto. That LP................ Well, if you haven't read, do so. Then read the thread. That LP turned out far better than it had any right to, despite all the drama involved and despite being started by someone who had absolutely no idea how to take good screenshots and no idea how to make GIF's, movies, or decent portraits. With the exception of of the caveman chapter, I can't think of a single section that was totally terrible. I can even look back at my own writing without cringing (for the most part).

Aaaaand... with that in mind, I do wish someone competent came along and did a proper and coherent LP of it. Feel free to use my uploaded music / portraits etc.

In other news, I'm all kinds of fond of the KGB LP (not in the least because someone else did most of the work for me) but it ruined my LP standards. I hesitate to start a Jade Empire LP until I can do some properly informative interludes about Chinese philosophy / literature (more than a brief summary of Journey to the West, at the very least). I also regret not doing some effort-posts on Ludwig and his castles for the Gabriel Knight 2 LP (even though I'd be basically copy-pasting whatever I found on the web)

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 16:42 on May 5, 2015

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Xander77 posted:

With the exception of of the caveman chapter, I can't think of a single section that was totally terrible.

sometimes i think about doing an lp and then i just remember that part of your lp and think "i did that. i did that" and am like "let's not do an lp" and then i continue on with my daily life

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Oh man, a thread for LP regret? I regret pretty much all of them in one way or another. I'm like one very small step above the generic Markiplier-clone youtube LPer :( Get ready for a wall of LP e/n

As of right now I have One Hundred and Ninety Five posts in the 2007 LP thread, and the next highest poster has 79. I've honestly considered sending Future Friend an e-mail apologizing for making GBS threads up his thread for almost a year now.

I also feel like aside from my technical ineptitude, one of my biggest failings is that I'm just straight up not a funny guy. The only time I don't cringe horribly and consider deleting my youtube is either when my co-commentator Grace is making the jokes, or when we're snarking back and forth.

Also on that note, people get REALLY wierd about us jokingly being mean to each other. :psyduck: I got called an abuser by some dude on youtube for insulting myself in a falsetto voice because I was imitating Grace calling me trash at Sonic. I also got yelled at once for telling Grace that Central America wasn't the united states, and once for not doing the side quests in Mario's Time Machine. Not a single complaint about my embarrassingly horrible video/audio quality or from accidentally making off colour humour.

The only LP I'm reasonably happy with is my SSLP of Shadowrun for SNES, and I still feel bad about being really inconsistent with side character personalities, and also the part where I misunderstood a large portion of the plot until really late into the LP (Glutman was a Fixer and nothing else, he had nothing to do with the run aside from cleanup after everything went south :shepface:). Also the fact that every single screenshot was at just slightly the wrong resolution until I believe the second last update.

One last thing, I really hate doing LPs that someone else is also doing concurrently since it makes me feel like I'm an rear end in a top hat and stepping on people's toes, and didn't I forget Turbo C and Tie Tuesday were doing co-op Portal 2 until right after I put up the first episode of ours. :saddowns: I ended up taking it down because I felt like so much of a dickshit. Now, after weeks of trying to get enough time to do it, Chip is streaming every MGS game RIGHT AS we were about to do a thread for an LP of every MGS game, even for the same reasoning. I can't tell if I'm extremely unlucky with timing or just extremely unoriginal. :saddowns:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Do the MGS thing anyway I love your LPs

As for my own self, my main regret is that audio quality is like my loving kryptonite when it comes to editing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWu94r6xDU4

Going back to the first Max Payne 3 video it is plain to see how I've improved since then. My noise removal actually didn't work because I had to boost my audio and jake's so much because of our quiet mics that the background noise is not background noise but actual static from the volume boosting. At the time I was using a generic headset mic that clipped basically whenever. Because of some weird formatting thing with FRAPS I couldn't ever get auto ducking to properly work with jake's and my commentary so I had to do it manually, leading to some weird choppy bits where the audio just jumps from ducked to regular volume and back.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Apr 26, 2015

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

This is a fun thread.

Personally, I have two LPs I majorly regret things about, and both make up the only LPs that I've finished that didn't end up on the LP Archive.

The first one is my SSLP of TactHack for the Fire Emblem hacks thread. That was my first LP ever, and hooo boy, did it show. To start with, to do an LP in that thread, you had to send a sample to Artix for him to look over, so with that sample being my first foray into LPing period, the poor sod basically had to act as a Sandcastle. The first attempt was horrible - I attempted to write in extra dialogue without any skill in knowing what to say and where, turning it into a cringeworthy mess, the commentary was lacking, and I'm pretty sure there were some technical issues as well. Thankfully, Artix gave me a verbal slap to the back of the head and I straightened the worst issues out. Still, things were pretty rough, especially behind the scenes. My workflow was absolutely dreadful, and if I had done Bloodlines or Düsterburg with that workflow, I'd have loving shot myself halfway through. Oh GOD, there were so many inefficiencies that made simple things so much more time-intensive.

And then there's the big one - my emotional breakdown in the middle of an update. To give a bit of backstory, the main character of the hack was an rear end in a top hat, pretty much overbearingly so. The creator was going for a no-nonsense, gruff mercenary captain that isn't afraid of being rough at times, but he went overboard and created a massive dick instead. This came to a head in a chapter where the recruitment for a character that was attempting to flee from the army coming down on the town after her father had already left earlier being essentially forced into service in the main character's mercenary army instead with a statement that sounded very similar to "it'd be a drat shame if somebody were to tell the army where you were at...". To this day, I don't know exactly what it was that set me off, but something did, and I flipped my poo poo for several paragraphs about how pissed I was that I'm essentially controlling a slavedriver whose main method of recruitment is guilt-tripping and veiled threats. And then I had a second meltdown post about it in the thread. Oh god, it was really embarrassing in hindsight - probably the worst posts I've made on the forums, and I'm including the lunatic posts I've made in the Byzantium and Denmark Paradox LPs. I'm very happy all of that has fallen to the archives.

The second LP I'm not happy about is the Mickey's Speedway USA "Let's Play For A Bit" I did for the Disney megathread. I kind of forced myself into the situation where I had to make a VLP about the game after I opened my big fat mouth (I mean, I could have called it off and people would have accepted that, but I don't just go back on things I've said), and it was a disaster on the technical side. My mic was horrendous (a lovely headset I bought for playing L4D2 with some friends), my audio editing was trash (I was essentially recording soundbites and stitching them together because I couldn't do multiple sentences in one take - I have a massive problem with "talking to myself", I just can't do it), and there were all sorts of little niggles that would have gotten the video trashed in the Sandcastle, and with good reason. The LP only consisted of two videos, the first being the horrible solo attempt, and the second one being a much more tolerable co-op deal with Aces High. I was a lot more happy with that one - I mean, the technical issues of my mic being poo poo were still there, but the fact that I had somebody to talk to made things feel SO much more natural, and I was actually able to record the whole thing in one clean take. Of course, then I did stupid things like leave the "and cut" at the end of the video in and poo poo like that, but overall, that went a lot smoother. That thread, too, has fallen to the archives, and in the end, I'm probably better off for it.

And while I'm at it, I might as well go over my other LPs a bit, I only have a few more. First, my first solo project, Safecracker. Safecracker might be the only LP I'm 100% happy with. It's a short game, I showed it off completely with no loose ends, I didn't have any embarrassing fuckups that hurt the LP, everything went really well. I did have an annoying long break between updates at one point, but that happens in every one of my LPs, so eh. The spiritual sequel, Safecracker 2, wasn't that lucky. To begin with, it was kind of a forced LP, I mainly wanted to do it because I hated how inferior it was to the first one and wanted an outlet to bitch. With that, I think the commentary took a bit of a hit, I didn't put as much effort in as I did with the first one (no videos, for one), and the whole thing ended up rather meh. Still, people seemed to like it alright enough, and I ended it with a neat little look at the Safecracker pinball, which was much better. I also did a Crusader Kings 2 LP for the tutorial thread, playing as an rear end in a top hat vassal scheming his way to the top. This one I'm also fairly happy with, though I'm pretty annoyed that it's practically worthless as a tutorial with all the things that have changed in the meantime. Blah.

But those were all minor projects - I've only done two actual major projects so far. First is my current magnum opus, Unterwegs in Düsterburg. Pretty much everybody seemed to be happy with that one, and I tend to agree. That LP was a labor of love to the core, and I tried my hardest to put as much effort as I could into it. The thread was really into it as well (relatively speaking, at least, my threads before that had little to no action going on because the games were too obscure and not really interesting), and it was a wonderful experience showing off a really great game not many people played because it was only in German. I can only hope that when I do Vampires Dawn and Vampires Dawn 2 that the situation will repeat itself. However, there is one thing I'm going to kick myself for until I die - I hosed up portraits on a semi-regular basis. To elaborate, the main character of the game has over 50 different portraits for different expressions, and keeping track of which one is being used was a nightmare. I tried my hardest to not mess up, but even then, it seemed like things slipped regularly - and to make matters worse, I only noticed most of them when I was going over the LP when it was already on the LP Archive, and fixing it at that point was going to be a pain for Baldurk as well as me, so I figured I'd be better off leaving it. Vampires Dawn has way less portraits, so I hope I won't repeat that.

Finally, my current project: Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines. This one leaves kind of a strange aftertaste in my mouth, and I believe it's because I'm simply not as good as gatz was when he was still running it. Since I took over when he couldn't continue due to real life obligations, I was always feeling this subtle pressure, not actually from anybody else, but entirely self-inflicted, to live up to that great LPing he did before. I never really did. When the rating of the thread dropped from gold, I finally had to make a post asking for some feedback - I felt that my idea of me being worse was being reinforced by the dropping rating, and it was giving me this horrible feeling, but the feedback coming back was pretty much unanimously positive and the thread shot straight back to gold, which alleviated the problem somewhat. I should never take over somebody else's LP again - I'd be giving myself so much poo poo for not being as good as the original LPer that it would probably have a negative effect on my writing (which I feared had happened in that LP). Of course, now I'm playing the Antitribu Mod, and the quality and effort has harshly dropped, but nobody cares because the quality and effort in the game itself has harshly dropped thanks to the terrible mod being involved, so it's more of a spectacle show than an in-depth LP anyway - just everybody getting together and staring in awe while I brave the sanity strain of playing through a terrible mod.

Man, that was a lot more than I thought it would be, but it does feel good to get that retrospective off my chest. It's the sort of thing you just keep carrying around with you because there's no real place to talk about it, and it's great that this thread has been made. It's also good to see that most people seem to have this inferiority complex towards their own work - it seems like that's a good thing, as it does probably lead to us wanting to constantly improve ourselves (when we stop wallowing in our misery for a bit, that is).

EDIT:

nine-gear crow posted:

Though on the topic of "user generated" LPs, I had a right proper blast doing the Total Extreme Wrestling LP which I took over from Smasher Dynamo with Blind Sally. The part that made that one so enjoyable was the fact that 80% of our content was if not audience generated, then definitely audience inspired. The majority of the fun came after we put up a new update and various people would post follow-up replies to what happen to their wrestler on that particular show update in character. And then those bits would go on to inform what happened when they appeared next time and so on and so forth. I keep telling myself that one day I'm going to get an Archives account just so that I can dig both Smashers' and our threads out of the archive abyss and get them hosted on the LP Archive with everyone's various reply updates included just best it was some really hilarious stuff and everyone (who stuck around with it, anyway) played off each other amazingly well.

Please, PLEASE do this. I can't say this without sounding like I'm saying "spend money and effort for my amusement", but Super-League Wrestling was some of the most entertaining poo poo I've been a part of in all the LPs I've seen in this forum. It was incredibly fun, and the way the thread and the main writers played off of each other was wonderful. I would love to see the adventures of the MacGregors come to the LP Archive.

TheMcD fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Apr 26, 2015

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
It took me like a year and half to SSLP Dragon Quest V, and it was completely exhausting, and I regret nothing. Not even skipping the boring optional postgame boss. I love that LP like it's my nerdy baby.

On the other hand, I tried to bounce from that to another old favorite game that I thought would be perfect for screenshots and audience participation, Dark Wizard, and I burnt the gently caress out about 3 updates in. That I really do feel bad about.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

TheMcD posted:

Please, PLEASE do this. I can't say this without sounding like I'm saying "spend money and effort for my amusement", but Super-League Wrestling was some of the most entertaining poo poo I've been a part of in all the LPs I've seen in this forum. It was incredibly fun, and the way the thread and the main writers played off of each other was wonderful. I would love to see the adventures of the MacGregors come to the LP Archive.

I'm 100% serious when I say this, but I've been working on getting TEW2013 back up and running again with the hopes of continuing the SLW storyline in some way. I have nothing firm yet, but it is in the works. Maybe after Prince of Persia or Killzone: Liberation. But yeah, I have a copy of the game for myself now and I really want to do that again some time in the near future.

Spoilers for people who care about the SLW meta-storyline: The reason Palpatine was digging for gold at the end of Minesweeper was to scrounge up enough cash to buy the SLW franchise back from The Devil :ssh:

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Apr 26, 2015

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

nine-gear crow posted:

I'm 100% serious when I say this, but I've been working on getting TEW2013 back up and running again with the hopes of continuing the SLW storyline in some way. I have nothing firm yet, but it is in the works. Maybe after Prince of Persia or Killzone: Liberation. But yeah, I have a copy of the game for myself now and I really want to do that again some time in the near future.

Spoilers for people who care about the SLW meta-storyline: The reason Palpatine was digging for gold at the end of Minesweeper was to scrounge up enough cash to buy the SLW franchise back from The Devil :ssh:

That sounds great. That LP was the biggest clusterfuck, but it was the funnest clusterfuck too.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

nine-gear crow posted:

Best thing I've read on the internet all week.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

The only LP I've actually attempted in traditional LP style was an 1860s mod for Mount & Blade: Warband. I think I did it at least with average competency and I tried to add information posts about tech and historical figures seen in it, but it didn't get much attention. My biggest flaw was thinking that I had to get out a bunch of content before I went on vacation (lest everyone forget about it), so I put up downright daily posts and maybe more than one a day at some point to try and get it a good way through. You ended up with two or three pages, each flooded with pictures.

My first "LP" was Duke Nukem Forever. I hated the game, but wanted to show people on a forum I moderated how much I hated it when I didn't have anything for recording. So I Alt+Tabbed out of the game and typed up what just happened and my opinions on it, then Alt+Tabbed back in and played until the next moment something happened. I basically described almost the entire game's content and flaws via text, but it was all lost when the forum went down.

On the technical side of things, I've only ever done one video/audio thing and that was a fuckup. I guest commentated on Blind Sally and nine-gear crow's Killzone LP and suddenly realized that my lavaliere mics were both dead and all of my speaker audio was coming through the shotgun mic I had....which had too short a cable to put it on my desk because it was designed for a camera mount (and that almost didn't work because I had to dig out a fresh 9-volt battery). Even worse, the iPhone earbuds I pressed into service as headphones had their own internal mic that picked up the actual audio going into my ears! I ended up hunched over my desk watching the video at very low dialogue with my head tilted awkwardly, trying to talk directly into a mic that was having major issues picking anything up even when I spoke directly in it. Even then, the audio crow got was abysmal and you could hear his and Sally's commentary on my track.

chitoryu12 fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Apr 26, 2015

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

My biggest regret is probably the "Let's Get Better" thread where it really relied on people showing up, making videos and other people offering tips and advice. I still think it could be a neat idea if there was more structure to it than what I gave it. Lately I sort of want to revisit the idea with Counter Strike because I'm loving horrible at that game half the time and it would be neat to chart progress.

Every couple months I think about re-making the Call of Duty: Black Ops LP I did a few years back because it was so...crude. I recorded my commentary on laptop speakers and the audio is just hard to listen to now. Additionally, I still had not really figured out commentary so early videos especially were tough. I think knowing what I do now about the process and having gotten much better about commentary I could make something way better than that first attempt. I'm currently on the "that was a bad LP, I should re-do it" kick because someone started commenting on some of the videos and I wonder why they don't just search for someone else doing the same game.

One of the things I always tell myself I'm going to change is the fact I don't post much outside my own threads. I spend a decent amount of time watching LPs, a good portion of that is because my wife likes to see really unique looking games or likes to see things with super involved stories (she's particularly upset that the Wolf Among Us is going to run out of story soon). Despite watching things I'll just never feel like I have something informative or interesting to say that someone else hasn't already said in the thread. I really hate being the guy who swings by, says "Good LP" and flies out never to be seen again, so I generally stay pretty silent.

In terms of most fun LPs to actually do, I would have to say it's a toss up between Ghost Recon: Future Soldier with Psion and Battlefield 4 with a bunch of different guests. Future Soldier was great because I didn't have to do poo poo unless I had a unique perspective as Psion ran things, and BF4 was great because I got to talk to people who had made things I liked about how/why they did what they did and what they were looking at next. I'd love to do something like that again, but I would need the right game to pull it off.

ParTwo
Mar 5, 2013

I'm making it rain-Bo!
I'm not really sure if I'd say I horribly regret my Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric LP, but I do think it was wholly mediocre and probably belonged in the 2007 thread, which is also why I haven't made a request for it to be archived. Minimal editing with Windows Movie Maker because I'm beyond stupid when it comes to AviSynth, a number of dead spots in the commentary due to us getting noticeably worn out, and we eventually developed the "gently caress it, I just want to finish this loving game" attitude by the final recording session, which I don't particularly find to be a healthy one for an LP. I probably should have picked a game I liked for my first LP on Something Awful, and I most likely will if I decide to try again. Maybe not with live commentary though. I might just try an SSLP instead if that's actually my cup of tea.

I also have a handful of other LPs I've done off-site, and some of them are still on my youtube, but they're much worse than Sonic Boom, and I don't feel as if this is the place to talk about them. Hell, the ones I'm the most ashamed of have been devoured by viddler, which I'm beyond thankful for.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
all my LPs have been really good. you guys need to step up your game.

S.D.
Apr 28, 2008
Oh hey, I can actually reply to this, kinda.

The City of Heroes Lets Play was something of a rush job all around, what with it being a collaborative effort in the 3 months before the MMO shut down. It was my first attempt at anything resembling a LP contribution, and while I did enjoy it, I can think of plenty of things I at least kind of regret in retrospect (guilt complex ahoy!):

1) I've got no work ethic or work flow - my individual posts were me sitting down and literally spending a full day (8-10 hours) running missions, making screenshots, doing some mild file editing, coming up with something to say, and then adding a bit of personal commentary to it. This was during a time when I was unemployed so technically free time was all I had, but I never did get a solid setup.

1a) Related to the above, I never learned how to make animated .gifs, nor did I record more than just the bare minimum of gameplay - this is entirely in hindsight, and my laptop was barely able to contain and process the video files I did make (of cutscenes), but it never occurred to me at all to just record everything and take screenshots from that. CoH had ways of replaying old missions/content, and there were text dumps of just about everything on a wiki, but just about everything I did was me posing characters for shots or otherwise hammering the screenshot button while praying that my camera angle/zoom was at a good position.

2) I'm not as funny as I think I am, or at the very least I'm very self-indulgent - I just re-read my parts on the archive, and I while don't cringe at most of the writing, it's still not great. You can argue that it's better than the original (it's MMO writing, it was never going to be great), but so many jokes are forced now that there's a lot of time to think about what's there. As for self-indulgent - well, the entirety of me doing the Praetoria's Last Stand arc on my main character was going to be that, but the extended conversations/fanfic writing in the second part make me feel uncomfortable on a re-read In my defense, it was also a sendoff for my character but that doesn't excuse the writing.

3) I burned out really goddamn quickly, much faster than I expected - I want to call extenuating circumstances on this one; between my bad work ethic/work flow and some general pessimism amongst my friends in the game due to the shutdown, there was quite a while where I couldn't work up the effort to make a post, or otherwise didn't have anything substantial anyway. There's something like a 3 or 4 week gap in between my intro posts about archetypes which were the simpler things I could have posted about. i admit a lot of the time wasting there was just me playing the game to get my fill of it before it was gone.

4) I wish I had done more - this is my biggest regret, made much harder because the game is gone now. I can't really explain how much I was addicted to really loved playing CoH, and part of the LP was just me trying to get some personal closure on it, as well as sharing why I played for so long. I still have enough stored pictures to pump out a few last posts of my favorite storyarcs, but once the game shut down it was very 'well, what's the point'? It's been two years and even now I'm thinking 'man, I should have done more of the issue 24 beta stuff to show off'. I have too much nostalgia and hindsight NOT to think that, sadly.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Here's some stuff I've learned from my various SSLP's that could be helpful to future or current LPers (including for video LP's). Most of it has been repeated elsewhere, but I might as well compile it all here.

* Treat commentary in a SSLP similar to a video LP. By that, silence is better than white noise commentary, and you shouldn't talk much during cutscenes. I've received compliments in the past because I usually let cutscenes play out with only the occasional remark when there's something especially important or stupid to point out.

* Never "force" humor, especially starting out. Find your voice first, and if you can't think of anything clever or witty, opt to be informative first. Once you get used to writing up updates, you'll feel more comfortable implementing your sense of humor in future updates and it'll actually be funny at that point.

* Get a good workflow going before you start. You want the process to eventually become as automatic as possible. You don't want to waste a lot of time making GIFs or making dialogue portraits or whatever else. You want it to the point where you can focus entirely on your commentary and not on the technical stuff.

* Understand your workload before you start. If it ends up being too overwhelming to be fun to do, it's likely not worth doing. It's also good to have a rough idea of how long the LP will take based on the scope of the game, how much you're going to LP of it, and how regularly you update it. Knowing that ahead of time may help later on when it's eight months later and you're burned out on the drat game and want it to end already.

* We've got some great resources in the Sandcastle and Tech Support Fort, and don't be afraid at all to use them. I've gotten tons of help from both in making my LPs look and read better. Worst that can happen is some people tells you your LP sucks without giving you constructive criticism, and gently caress those people anyway. But otherwise people will point out possible flaws you may have overlooked or offer improvements you may never have thought of on your own. And of course the Tech Support Fort is full of smart people who can guide you through any technical issue or question you have.

* Do your LP the way you want to do it. Don't feel that if you want to do narrative, you have to be humorous or whatever else. Feel free to experiment and do goofy things. Some of my best updates and favorite updates of other LPers are ones where they go off formula and do crazy-rear end poo poo.

*Do a game you want to show off, for whatever reason. Maybe you really love the game, or think it's an underrated gem that deserves more attention, or a game that would go great with audience participation, or it's a hilariously awful game to mine humor from, or a flawed-yet-decent game where you can tear into what makes it good and bad. It seems like common sense, but you won't enjoy doing stuff as much if you don't care about what you're LPing.

* Don't be afraid to abandon LPs if they're becoming a slog or if there's big real life things going on or whatever. It's just a hobby, everyone will understand if you can't really do it anymore. You can always return to finish later if you feel compelled.

* Tips to keep people following: Audience participation, consistent update schedule, engage in/start conversations in your threads. Don't be afraid to let it derail a bit if the conversation takes an interesting turn, as long as it doesn't go too crazy of course.

* If you do a ROM hack, you may want to make sure the person who made it isn't the type to proudly declare their fetishes on an internet forum.

* With free programs now like Gifcam and Gooncam making the process simple and quick, there's seriously no reason now not to include GIFs in your SSLPs (other than the game having no animation of course). You shouldn't go overboard, of course, but you can do a lot of really cool (and really goofy) things with GIFs that would take a ton of screenshots to show off otherwise, and most people really love GIFs. If you're not recording video and taking screenshots afterward, you really should do that too.

* Keep backup saves whenever possible. There are quite a few instances where I had to go back and show something off I forgot or did something wrong or whatever, and it was pretty painless because I make a ton of backup saves for every game I do. You probably also want to back them up on a secondary location in case your hard drive crashes or whatever.

* Have fun. Seriously. You're doing a lot of tedious poo poo just to talk about a video game on the internet, so you should enjoy doing it.

Xander77 posted:

I really liked that LP. The other one was just the dullest freaking thing.

Thanks for that, and to be fair I still like a lot of what I did for that LP, especially all the GIFs since it's a gorgeous game with great animations. The narrative isn't something I'm ashamed of, and in fact I think it works in part of why I did it (to enhance the world-building experience of the game), but I feel it's not remarkable enough to be a good example of a narrative LP (though I feel it's a great LP otherwise). I definitely like the LP, it's that it's probably the one I like the least because of how much better it could have been. Oh well, it works and may inspire future LPs of the game (like the recent video LP attempt).

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

nine-gear crow posted:

The good Doktor and company stand ready.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

TheMcD posted:

The first one is my SSLP of TactHack for the Fire Emblem hacks thread. That was my first LP ever, and hooo boy, did it show. To start with, to do an LP in that thread, you had to send a sample to Artix for him to look over, so with that sample being my first foray into LPing period, the poor sod basically had to act as a Sandcastle. The first attempt was horrible - I attempted to write in extra dialogue without any skill in knowing what to say and where, turning it into a cringeworthy mess, the commentary was lacking, and I'm pretty sure there were some technical issues as well. Thankfully, Artix gave me a verbal slap to the back of the head and I straightened the worst issues out. Still, things were pretty rough, especially behind the scenes. My workflow was absolutely dreadful, and if I had done Bloodlines or Düsterburg with that workflow, I'd have loving shot myself halfway through. Oh GOD, there were so many inefficiencies that made simple things so much more time-intensive.

You know, despite everything that thread was ton of fun. I've been thinking about organizing another one but I have too much on my plate right now. Maybe in a couple months?

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy

Mico posted:

to this day i do not understand why anyone watches my videos

Same, bro.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

TheMcD posted:

Finally, my current project: Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines. This one leaves kind of a strange aftertaste in my mouth, and I believe it's because I'm simply not as good as gatz was when he was still running it. Since I took over when he couldn't continue due to real life obligations, I was always feeling this subtle pressure, not actually from anybody else, but entirely self-inflicted, to live up to that great LPing he did before. I never really did.

The great majority of actively creative people get nasty imposter syndrome. I've been a full-time professional writer and editor for 20 years+, and I don't know any writer, pro or otherwise, who doesn't spend at least some of their time feeling like a total fraud. Most feel that way almost the entire time. I certainly do, and it's been paying my rent for two decades.

That feeling is just your subconscious pre-preparing you for possible rejection. It's a safety valve, and no more useful or valid than declaring a street-vendor burger to be the best food ever consumed by a human being just because you hadn't eaten for thirty-six hours.

Gatz did a great job with VTM. You did too -- to the point where I didn't even remember that the LP had changed hands for the first few posts.

ObPersonal: My big LP regret is not making the time to do an LP of something insane myself. One day in the not-too-distant, I hope...

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Mega64 posted:

* If you do a ROM hack, you may want to make sure the person who made it isn't the type to proudly declare their fetishes on an internet forum.
actually that seems like a bonus

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Artix posted:

You know, despite everything that thread was ton of fun. I've been thinking about organizing another one but I have too much on my plate right now. Maybe in a couple months?
would there be enough new hacks to sustain a thread like that?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Endorph posted:

It WAS amazingly funny to see that guy declare that he watched "clop" (I had to look it up)

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
My LP regret isn't as big as everyone elses.

I have a folder sitting on my desktop called "Darkest Dungeon LP" which contains an unedited first recording of the tutorial level of Darkest Dungeon and a first Dungeon; it also contains a script I wrote for it and a recording I made walking a friend through the game basics.

It's been there for just over 2 months and I haven't done anything more for it.

I regret not getting more work done on it as I really love that game and it would be a semi-blind LP which people appear to love.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Gridlocked posted:

I have a folder sitting on my desktop called "Darkest Dungeon LP" which contains an unedited first recording of the tutorial level of Darkest Dungeon and a first Dungeon; it also contains a script I wrote for it and a recording I made walking a friend through the game basics.
I've had a folder full of screenshots (and uploaded OST on tindeck) sitting around for literally years now. Never quite got around to it.

As to an actual LP confession - I still re-read certain LPs that have been abandoned for years and kinda hope the authors will get back to them someday. Sad, but true.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Nihilarian posted:

would there be enough new hacks to sustain a thread like that?

More than enough. Plus a few that didn't get finished last time, like Elibean Nights (which is now legit finished) and Dream of Five.

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Bringing the forums together with the greatest thread!
Eh, all my LPs have been pretty low effort but I like to think I've gotten because I've been able to find some relatively unknown and interesting games that have been able to stand pretty well on their own. My only real regret is not putting more effort into the Hidden Agenda LP, doing more research on the real world politics, culture and economics of central america of the period. That really is a great game, and it deserved more love than I gave it, even though I really enjoyed running the LP. Since it was my first LP ever, I'm loosely considering making another go of it some time in the future, now that I'm older and wiser.

I'm also still a bit annoyed about that one LP I abandoned, but since it had some really obtuse mechanics I barely understood myself and some weird things that made it really hard to LP with the format I was going for I think it was a lost cause from the beginning.

Metroixer
Apr 25, 2009

maddecent
My Oddworld LPs are boring and it's why I abandoned Exoddus.

The Pokemon LP updates were written on notepad, usually at 2 in the morning, and I did barely any proofreading. I was a very ~wacky and quirky~ teen back then and it shows in the insufferable writing. I feel bad for closing the thread because people were talking about modern Pokemon stuff in it.

My DKC LPs are really the only thing I'm happy with. It was nice to talk to people (most of them being friends I knew for a while) about these games I liked a lot. My biggest mistake with Oddworld was doing it solo, but I guess it's too late to change that.

There are other LPs on my channel that date all the way back to 2008/9. I keep them up because it is important to remember what kind of person you were, and seeing how far you have come.

Metroixer fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Apr 26, 2015

Sorites
Sep 10, 2012

I've only done one quick little Let's Play, but it was a real learning experience.

I participated in the Crusader Kings II Tutorial Megathread. I played one of the hardest starts in the game at the time, and totally trivialized the difficulty by abusing a broken old mechanic that may or may not have got patched because of my LP.

My main regret about the run is the lopsided planning. I did a few practice runs of the game itself, so I knew basically how everything would pan out. But I didn't plan out the tone or style of my commentary. So my first few updates were quite dry, informative, and mechanics-driven, which was the correct style for a tutorial megathread. But as time went on, I slowly transitioned into a more narrative, descriptive approach. And my final update was written - shudder - in-character. Which, don't get me wrong, is fine in and of itself, but again: Tutorial megathread. Nobody signed up for my roleplay.

I should have decided in advance whether I wanted to break the game or tell a story, and picked the appropriate venue - either the tutorial megathread or my own thread.

Sorites fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Apr 26, 2015

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

I tried 2 LPs, both of which were games which aren't particularly interesting or even all that much fun to play, and as a result neither were any good and both were abandoned. I no longer have faith in myself to see something through, even for games I definitely do enjoy.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Endorph posted:

I suppose it would depend on to what extent the romhack acts out said fetishes.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Wait a second, when and where did this happen?

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
The FF6: Brave New World thread. The hacker joins at some point and starts talking about "clop" which uh...you can probably go from there.

Pennfalath
Sep 10, 2011

Why are these teenagers not at home studying their Latin vocabulary?

Metroixer posted:

I didn't think your Oddworld LPs were boring, I enjoyed them thoroughly!

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Metroixer posted:

That's sad, because I enjoyed your Oddworld LPs. I have never played Oddworld before and with Exoddus unfinished I'll never know what happens now. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Artix posted:

The FF6: Brave New World thread. The hacker joins at some point and starts talking about "clop" which uh...you can probably go from there.
I think the same happened with a bunch of Pokemon hacks / the FFT hack?

(I kinda miss the PYF SA Drama thread)

• Locked thread