Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all

What is this
Well it's Dark Souls, you know THAT GAME? The Dark Souls of Dark Souls games? AKA the best game ever made! Exactly that.

Didn't you do this before?
I made a more comprehensive one back in the day showing off a lot of nifty things sure but this is different man... This is THE HONOR RUN!
If you want a more comprehensive run you could just check out the Archived Prepare to Die thread.

What is Honor
Gimmick run with Katana's only. No shields and hopefully as much stuff to make me look like a badass Samurai as possible. I mean this is a fairly fun and silly run anyway so I'm not taking this even half as serious as I did with the original. So that means you can post spoilers and whatever crap you like. I'll probably still go through the DLC area if I'm brave enough. Though that part scares me even with a shield. It's crazy man.

:siren: Check out the Resident Evil 4 LP thread yo! :siren:

Videos
Honorful 1
Honorful 2
Honorful 3

Zain fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Jul 4, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Reserved for reasons

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010
That short sword is not a good substitute for a Katana!

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Lord Windy posted:

That short sword is not a good substitute for a Katana!

Don't worry! I know exactly where to get our Katana back. Sadly we'll have to kill... an innocent? man to do it.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Zain posted:

Don't worry! I know exactly where to get our Katana back. Sadly we'll have to kill... an innocent? man to do it.

That doesnt sound honourful to me :colbert:

DukeofCA
Aug 18, 2011

I am shocked and appalled.
It's too bad the Alonne set isn't in this game, for full samurai cosplay goodness.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Blind Sally posted:

Well I could rush to Blighttown and get the Iato then. All Katanas lead to Blighttown actually... That's going to be a bit of a pain.

DukeofCA posted:

It's too bad the Alonne set isn't in this game, for full samurai cosplay goodness.
If there's one thing Dark Souls 2 did really well was some of the unique armor pieces.

Zain fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Apr 24, 2015

Prawn Salad
Dec 7, 2010

I-I still think you're cool,
Onii-chan...

Blind Sally posted:

The only honorable way of doing it is to face said innocent? guy honorably in honorable combat and defeat him with honor for maximum honor points.

By which I mean roll into him until he aggros and then stab him with your honor.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Ahh, an elegant solution.

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010
Take off your glove, drop it on him to represent a slap, bow and then kill the bastard!

How dare he not stock more humanity!

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

And that, as much as anything else, led to my drinking problem.
Killing filthy peasants is perfectly in character for a samurai.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's just is it in character for an Honorable samurai? That's the major question.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Zain posted:

It's just is it in character for an Honorable samurai? That's the major question.

Should the peasant offend your honor by way of insult or physical vulgarities then yes.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Zain posted:

To my understanding honorable samurai is just a myth used as propaganda during ww2 times. Real samurais are pretty close to western nobles in reality. They have some code they follow but basically its "poo poo on peasants and bow to other nobles.".

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

Zain posted:

How can a Samurai be not Honorable? Logically, all Samurai are Honorable, thus all their actions are Honorable. Thus, no matter what a Samurai does, it must be an Honorable action to do so.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
You should use the Iato because it has draw cuts. Draw cuts are somehow better than just swinging your sharp metal stick normally.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Should the peasant offend your honor by way of insult or physical vulgarities then yes.

Check and mega check. Let's do this.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Aw yeah, I loved the start to this run in the other thread way back when. Can't wait to see the conclusion. Hell this might get me to re-install the game and play along. Any plans on co-op demonstrations or organizing Honorable Duelist Clubs?

7c Nickel posted:

You should use the Iato because it has draw cuts. Draw cuts are somehow better than just swinging your sharp metal stick normally.

Too bad Zain skipped the skeleton key, the Iaito is able to be gotten from the beginning with it.

Tuxedo Ted fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Apr 24, 2015

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Tuxedo Ted posted:

Aw yeah, I loved the start to this run in the other thread way back when. Can't wait to see the conclusion. Hell this might get me to re-install the game and play along. Any plans on co-op demonstrations or organizing Honorable Duelist Clubs?

Too bad Zain skipped the skeleton key, the Iaito is able to be gotten from the beginning with it.

Haven't thought of it. I know Major JF had brought that up and I might think of either of them.

To be honest! Doing blighttown in reverse is so difficult! I can't even begin to describe how I'm unable to do that.

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010

Zain posted:

Haven't thought of it. I know Major JF had brought that up and I might think of either of them.

To be honest! Doing blighttown in reverse is so difficult! I can't even begin to describe how I'm unable to do that.

Just run, run like you've never run before!

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

And that, as much as anything else, led to my drinking problem.
It occured to me that you could just summon someone and have them drop a katana for you.

You know, if you want to be boring.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
The merchant caste is the lowest and are scum. No honorable man will bat an eye at his slaying.

azren
Feb 14, 2011

So are you allowed to daisho this run? Musashi was the poo poo.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

azren posted:

So are you allowed to daisho this run? Musashi was the poo poo.

That's the plan! Sorry for the delay. Having issues with recording at the time. Work is among one of those things.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

:siren: Holy CRAP! It's an update that's super late!!:siren:

Honorful 2

We get our Hanzo Steel back from a lowly peasant who disrespected us and fight a demon.

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008
Turning your back on your opponent is disrespectful and forfeits the agreement of honor.
Also once combat has been engaged failure to keep good positioning does not effect the honour of the other person.
However a sneak attack to the back is dishonorable.

Wayne
Oct 18, 2014

He who fights too long against dragons becomes a dragon himself
Hey, welcome back. :D I hear you about work; I got my PC fixed almost 3 weeks ago, but I've just now had time to get back to editing and stuff. Hope to stream again before too long, too.

On the technical side, the audio quality isn't great (which I see you're aware of going off the video description, heh) and you're a smidge quiet compared to the sound in the game. Given that DS has parts that get really loud, you might want to gain yourself up a bit. There's also some video glitchiness, most noticeably some nasty artifacting at 10:34. I don't have DS1 on PC, otherwise I'd offer some suggestions!

And speaking of, this run's inspired me to maybe do a middle east rather than far east inspired playthrough (with the scimitars and curved greatswords and such), shame if I do that we couldn't fight each other!

Major_JF posted:

Also once combat has been engaged failure to keep good positioning does not effect the honour of the other person.

I wish D&D worked that way. :v: When they finally put a class with "honorable combat" restrictions in 3.5, attacking someone who was prone, flat-footed (unable to defend himself properly, basically) or flanked violated it, no matter how those conditions were applied.

It's fun reading up on the history of "honor." Whether you take the cynical view ("honor" as a precept is handed down by the elites to shame people from thwarting them in unorthodox ways) or the more traditional one (honor is what society says is "proper"), it's neat to see what makes the cut. Like claiming a guy's wife and land if you could beat him up was honorable, but crossbows weren't. Or for samurai, killing a civilian is dishonorable (violates the duty to be benevolent to your fellow man), unless, say, your rightful lord tells you to (since not doing so would go against loyalty).

azren
Feb 14, 2011

Which is interesting, because Samurai, at least, did use bows. Bows, naginata, and spears were the more commonly used weapons for field combat, while katana were more of a personal combat weapon, iirc.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Wayne posted:

Hey, welcome back. :D I hear you about work; I got my PC fixed almost 3 weeks ago, but I've just now had time to get back to editing and stuff. Hope to stream again before too long, too.

On the technical side, the audio quality isn't great (which I see you're aware of going off the video description, heh) and you're a smidge quiet compared to the sound in the game. Given that DS has parts that get really loud, you might want to gain yourself up a bit. There's also some video glitchiness, most noticeably some nasty artifacting at 10:34. I don't have DS1 on PC, otherwise I'd offer some suggestions!

And speaking of, this run's inspired me to maybe do a middle east rather than far east inspired playthrough (with the scimitars and curved greatswords and such), shame if I do that we couldn't fight each other!

I wish D&D worked that way. :v: When they finally put a class with "honorable combat" restrictions in 3.5, attacking someone who was prone, flat-footed (unable to defend himself properly, basically) or flanked violated it, no matter how those conditions were applied.

It's fun reading up on the history of "honor." Whether you take the cynical view ("honor" as a precept is handed down by the elites to shame people from thwarting them in unorthodox ways) or the more traditional one (honor is what society says is "proper"), it's neat to see what makes the cut. Like claiming a guy's wife and land if you could beat him up was honorable, but crossbows weren't. Or for samurai, killing a civilian is dishonorable (violates the duty to be benevolent to your fellow man), unless, say, your rightful lord tells you to (since not doing so would go against loyalty).

gently caress! Actually the video the RAW didn't have that issue. I'll see about recompiling it. Not sure why that happened. :( But yeah my only mic right now is a desktop mic... Well that's a like I have a headset one too but that one creaks and cracks everytime I talk so it's just no good.

And yeah Honor is a very weird thing. It's really all subjective to make it seem like you're the one who is in the right -despite your actions.

Edit: Well it seem the artifacting is transferring somehow into the actual video when editing. I'm not sure how to fix this.

Zain fucked around with this message at 18:32 on May 28, 2015

Wayne
Oct 18, 2014

Again, just a layman on PC video editing stuff; but I think you might have a problem with the framerate / screen refresh settings. There's a bit of screen tearing too, I think the artifacting at 10:34 was just a worse version of that than a separate problem. If the raw is fine (meaning you don't have to worry about your card's V-sync and whatnot) and the problem pops up during encoding (right? Not while you're editing?), that might mean your container settings having a mismatched FPS value?

Oh, and almost forgot to mention on the video: you probably didn't need a resin on Taurus Demon, since he's vulnerable to bleed. There number you can get without farming is pretty low, and you might want some for later in the game for bosses that have a lot of HP or slash resistance (or both, Iron Golem may actually give you a fight unlike most builds :D). No point fretting about it now, though!

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

azren posted:

Which is interesting, because Samurai, at least, did use bows. Bows, naginata, and spears were the more commonly used weapons for field combat, while katana were more of a personal combat weapon, iirc.

For a long time, the bow was the defining weapon of the Samurai. During the Kamakura Period (around the Mongol Invasion) they specifically refer to themselves as 'The Man of the Bow and Arrow.'

Horse archers are badasses. I don't know why anyone wouldn't want to be known for horse archery. Shooting things while riding a horse at the same time is incredibly hard and pulling it off makes you awesome.

Also super glad to see the Honor Run back!

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Wayne posted:

Again, just a layman on PC video editing stuff; but I think you might have a problem with the framerate / screen refresh settings. There's a bit of screen tearing too, I think the artifacting at 10:34 was just a worse version of that than a separate problem. If the raw is fine (meaning you don't have to worry about your card's V-sync and whatnot) and the problem pops up during encoding (right? Not while you're editing?), that might mean your container settings having a mismatched FPS value?

Oh, and almost forgot to mention on the video: you probably didn't need a resin on Taurus Demon, since he's vulnerable to bleed. There number you can get without farming is pretty low, and you might want some for later in the game for bosses that have a lot of HP or slash resistance (or both, Iron Golem may actually give you a fight unlike most builds :D). No point fretting about it now, though!

Actually while I'm editing. That's the weird part. I'm going to switch to using Shadowplay for recording and see if that changes things instead of Bandicam. This is probably the first time anything like this has ever happened.

I'm more than able to get more Resin so it's no big deal. It just made the Taurus Demon quicker is all. Actually there's a few bosses that I should use it on but I probably won't.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

:siren: Another late has heck update :siren:

Honorful 3

This update just has a lot of progress and getting items we'll need in the future. Specifically getting the oh so useful Wolf Ring. An item so great that it gives the wearer 40 poise! Which is great for a lot of different things, one of them is not flinching on specific attacks.

Yeah I am aware of the artifacting and it's just in raw video and I'm not sure if I can fix it. What I will do though is try to see if changing my recording to the shadowplay stuff will help out and maybe produce a higher quality video for the next segment.

With Radiology Classes going on I do feel like I should work on a back log if/when I ever get any free-time to myself. But both classes and work make it really difficult to update. I have to make some sort of money while pretending to like what I do in class after all. Guess you can tell with my commentary being not as great as it should be I've been sorta burning the candle at both ends.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Probably not the best idea but I started up a Resident Evil 4 LP as well! If you like watching a jackass play a game you are in luck.

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008
So you are going to use katanas, bows, and what else?

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Major_JF posted:

So you are going to use katanas, bows, and what else?

In RE4? Well I haven't thought of it, but in this. I was thinking of using some Halberts. They're not exactly the same as naginata, it's kinda the closest I can get if I don't get lucky with that one black knight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wayne
Oct 18, 2014

Hey, looks like this video still has--

Zain posted:

Yeah I am aware of the artifacting

Oh. :saddowns:

Well, whatever you had been using clearly was having problems, and I've heard good things about Shadowplay (that's what Turtlicious was using in his DS1 LP, and the video quality has been fine; he's just been having other problems, heh). I'd be using it myself, but it seems like it really wants fullscreen and thus a dual-monitor setup, and I can't be fussed enough about anything going to YouTube to not just deal with OBS's auto-encoding.

If you hadn't said anything, I would've wondered if you were recording tired; most of your commentary was solid but there were a few slips like honor "seething" (I think you meant "seeping") that I find myself doing when it's past midnight and I've been streaming for 5 hours. :sweatdrop: I think the bigger issue was the game sound effects are so loud compared to your voice. I don't know if you were relying on auto-ducking maybe, but I'm listening to it right now and there's a sentence that got interrupted with the "fwoom-SPLAT" of a parry & riposte that completely drowned you out.

Gameplay-wise I always thought it was weird how the early game is so dissimilar from what comes later. You can basically kill all of the enemies up to the Balder knights in one hit, maybe 2-3 (depending on starting weapon), and the only way to keep that ratio up is to use giant strength weapons.

And the Black Knight Halberd is basically a naginata. Shame there's no real tetsubo in these games, with how overpowered Strike is....

• Locked thread