Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Benny Harvey
Nov 24, 2012

It looks like a really cool place but I'm worried about the grottier side to the place. Like, do I have much to worry about as a tourist from Romani gypsies or the Mole people in Bucharest? I'll be going with my Dad who'll be 79, so there's extra reason I'm cautious about taking him to a place he already has quite a negative image of.

Also, what are the local pubs like there? My Dad loves places with traditional music.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010
No, but I'd worry your elderly father may be eaten by the dogs if you leave him alone on a street corner to buy a pack of smokes.

http://www.digi24.ro/Stiri/Digi24/A...utul+Matei+Bals ("16,000 people were bitten by stray dogs last year, and 2 children and 1 adult died as a result of their bites"

E: Apparently they killed tens of thousand of the strays last year, so I guess you'll be safe.

E2: But seriously just use the normal precautions you'd use in Rome or Paris or wherever, which are also not particularly dangerous cities. People that come up and talk to you, in English, unsolicited are probably not looking to help you. People that want to be your friend probably don't actually. Etc. If your dad has reduced mobility, be careful in crosswalks. Why are you going to Bucharest of all places if your dad has such a negative impression of Romania?

Saladman fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Apr 25, 2015

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Bucharest isn't a particularly nice city but Romania is beautiful and awesome. I hope you aren't just spending time there because any other city will be a lot better.

You can take a day trip via (extremely slow) train to Sinaia and check out some castles and a monastery.

Brasov is beautiful. I never made it to Sibiu but that's also supposed to be really nice.

Get out of Bucharest.

Keret
Aug 26, 2012

Soiled Meat
I was just in Romania for about 3 weeks earlier this Spring and it is fantastic. I had originally planned to go Timișoara-Șibiu-Brașov-București but ended up going to Cluj in Transylvania after Timișoara completely on a whim and I really fell in love with that city. Both Banat (where Timișoara is) and Transylvania are really nice, and have an old Austro-Hungarian vibe to them. Cluj especially is worth visiting in my opinion, it is the biggest city in Transylvania and a student city with a lot of culture and activity going on, plus it has an interesting mix of Romanian and Hungarian speaking population which I found very unique and cool. It also feels more relaxed for its size which was nice. Plus there is a fascinating salt mine nearby that is nifty to visit. I never got to București, but everyone I talked to said it wasn't worth going to (but they were Transylvanian so they are probably biased against the capital, ymmv).

• Locked thread