Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Horse Genitals (Hi-Res)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

CBBE - Premium Edition: Now with even stronger breast physics!

(only 9.99 at your local Steam Workshop!)

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Scyantific posted:

CBBE - Premium Edition: Now with even stronger breast physics! *

(only 9.99 at your local Steam Workshop!)

* As of version 0.3, all female models changed into walrus furries, as they fit my artistic vision of the game better.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Modders already spend all their time accusing each other of stealing their hard work so it's going to be really funny when every modder is complaining to Valve every day about everything and Valve has to look at every complaint because they're getting most of the money out of this poo poo

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
you have to admire the moxie of a company whose current cash cow is a warcraft 3 mod with new graphics doing it, imo

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

So, serious post a bit, but does anyone else feel like this is a really really bad idea? Probably half of the entirety of the modding community for all games is toxic as gently caress. The toxic element generally tend to drown out the decent modders by being the loudest wheels on the cart and doing their level best to rise above their "competition" by drowning out anything even remotely similar to their stuff while shilling out ads and links for Ad.fly donation bullshit.

Imagine what'll happen if you get a game that's decent on its own, but could really do well with some quality of life mods for various things. Maybe a better UI, or more visible alerts, or whatever. But the only mods available are behind paywalls, and anything that even looks like it's for the same genre gets shouted down by people claiming copyright infringement and the like. I'm reminded of GateGate from a while back. Imagine what that would've been like if there was money involved. That guy would've absolutely lawyered up in a heatbeat and you can bet he wouldn't have backed down at all because he had the potential to earn money from it. Now imagine that happening with every game, with probably a dozen or so hardcore mod-makers.

The biggest thing that's going to present a problem is: What's to stop someone from buying a copy of someone's mod, then rehosting it for free? Are there any legal protections afforded to either side of that, or is it up to both parties to sort it out? I can see someone like the GateGate guy, having influences and ties with the bigger mod pack makers, doing everything he can to block everything but his own work so that he's the only one who ever gets money. It'd be one thing if you had sane people trying to make a buck from their mods, but it's blatantly obvious that there's a lot of horrificly broken individuals out there who think they're the only ones who ever have an idea, and therefore they're the only ones who can do it and rightfully should be the only ones to make money from it, and god help you if you steal their hard work and offer it for free.

Lacedaemonius
Jan 18, 2015

Rub a dub dub

Quest For Glory II posted:

Cant ruin a game that was already bad

As long as they don't put it in any other games we should be ok.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Did you know: This is the end, the ET Atari crash is literally a blip compared to ModPayGhazi.

boneration
Jan 9, 2005

now that's performance
OK so this sucks I guess but I mean there are 17 paid mods on Steam Workshop and 25,239 free mods, and the ones that are paid look kinda poo poo. I mean the one I clicked on, you gotta use the console to add the armor in, ffs.

Someone wanna explain to me, in simple words, why the sky is actually falling here. SkyUI is still free and SKSE is still free so what do I care about DOTA swords and half-life quests?

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

boneration posted:

OK so this sucks I guess but I mean there are 17 paid mods on Steam Workshop and 25,239 free mods, and the ones that are paid look kinda poo poo. I mean the one I clicked on, you gotta use the console to add the armor in, ffs.

Someone wanna explain to me, in simple words, why the sky is actually falling here. SkyUI is still free and SKSE is still free so what do I care about DOTA swords and half-life quests?

You shouldn't care about any of this because videogames are dumb, hth.

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug

boneration posted:

And pay version of SkyUI is coming.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

boneration posted:

SkyUI isn't gonna be free going forward.

Soral
May 30, 2009

caring about things is uncool

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

boneration posted:

Both SkyUI and SKSE are both making paid versions. In SkyUI's case it's the only one that'll be getting updates.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

ShootaBoy posted:

Both SkyUI and SKSE are both making paid versions. In SkyUI's case it's the only one that'll be getting updates.

:10bux: says within a week or two there will be an official (read: mandatory) Skyrim patch that will break the non-paid version of SkyUI

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

boneration posted:

I know that reading is uncool and all, but

neogeo0823 posted:

So, serious post a bit, but does anyone else feel like this is a really really bad idea? Probably half of the entirety of the modding community for all games is toxic as gently caress. The toxic element generally tend to drown out the decent modders by being the loudest wheels on the cart and doing their level best to rise above their "competition" by drowning out anything even remotely similar to their stuff while shilling out ads and links for Ad.fly donation bullshit.

Imagine what'll happen if you get a game that's decent on its own, but could really do well with some quality of life mods for various things. Maybe a better UI, or more visible alerts, or whatever. But the only mods available are behind paywalls, and anything that even looks like it's for the same genre gets shouted down by people claiming copyright infringement and the like. I'm reminded of GateGate from a while back. Imagine what that would've been like if there was money involved. That guy would've absolutely lawyered up in a heatbeat and you can bet he wouldn't have backed down at all because he had the potential to earn money from it. Now imagine that happening with every game, with probably a dozen or so hardcore mod-makers.

The biggest thing that's going to present a problem is: What's to stop someone from buying a copy of someone's mod, then rehosting it for free? Are there any legal protections afforded to either side of that, or is it up to both parties to sort it out? I can see someone like the GateGate guy, having influences and ties with the bigger mod pack makers, doing everything he can to block everything but his own work so that he's the only one who ever gets money. It'd be one thing if you had sane people trying to make a buck from their mods, but it's blatantly obvious that there's a lot of horrificly broken individuals out there who think they're the only ones who ever have an idea, and therefore they're the only ones who can do it and rightfully should be the only ones to make money from it, and god help you if you steal their hard work and offer it for free.

Plus everything else everyone else has said in response to you so far. Especially this:

ShootaBoy posted:

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

boneration posted:

1) Many (most?) of the paid mods that are more than just a single item or model swap are compilations of free mods and/or depend on free mods. So they're trying to get paid for their hard work of repackaging other's hard work or that depends on other's hard work.

2) SkyUI indicated they would go paid if this whole train didn't get derailed, hence a lot of people trying to derail this train. Skyrim Script Extender wants to go pay too. (EDIT: SKSE insists they will not go pay) Now we could end up with a situation where most mods require at least one paid mod to work, imposing a toll on most mods above and beyond the cost of the game.

3) Mod makers only get 25% of the cut. This is in line with what TF2 shop owners make, sure, but here Bethesda is getting 45% of the cut - apparently they could choose less if they wanted to? Now Bethesda has a financial incentive to release buggy games and then make money off of the mods that fix their buggy games that they don't even have to lift a finger to make.

4) Related: what happens when all of the quality of life mods that make Skyrim actually decent go paid? Are you looking forward to a future where it takes $70-100 worth of mods to make a Bethesda game decent?

5) The shift in thinking once mods become something that are no longer assumed to be free but instead part of the nickel and diming machine. What will it do to the community? Can it make it actually worse (minecraft ad.fly download links says yes) ?

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Apr 25, 2015

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

3) Mod makers only get 25% of the cut. This is in line with what TF2 shop owners make, sure, but here Bethesda is getting 45% of the cut - apparently they could choose less if they wanted to? Now Bethesda has a financial incentive to release buggy games and then make money off of the mods that fix their buggy games that they don't even have to lift a finger to make.

^^^^
this is the worst part imo

SpudCat
Mar 12, 2012

First they came for the mods...
and I did not speak up, because I was not a modder.

The glorious days of mod communism are over. The capitalist pigs have won. :ussr:

boneration
Jan 9, 2005

now that's performance
What the gently caress, popups when you cast a spell. What has science done.

If SkyUI and/or SKSE go paid I'm gonna have to reassess my position I guess. For now I will just be not mad about video games.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
So what happens when someone makes a modmod to remove the upselling bullshit from the free version? What next, DRM on game mods?

Praetorian Mage
Feb 16, 2008
In addition to everything else that's been mentioned, people are also worried that this is the prelude to mods being locked down and becoming Steam Workshop-only. With Fallout 4 likely to be announced soon, some people think this is Bethesda testing the waters for this new horrible modding system.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Didn't SKSE guy literally say yesterday that SKSE will always be free forever?

edit: Yeah one of the team members did:

http://www.resavr.com/comment/regarding-mods-at-the-request-of-an-skse-dev-i-was-told-to-spread-this-information-around-890744

quote:

SKSE (and all of our other Script Extenders) will remain FREE to use for everyone. We will not charge anyone for it. Ever. Creators of mods which depend upon SKSE must make their own choices regarding whether to ask for payment for their mods. We will not receive any partial payment from those sales. Reasons for #2 and #3: See #1.

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

Pillbug

Jabor posted:

So what happens when someone makes a modmod to remove the upselling bullshit from the free version? What next, DRM on game mods?

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=431392896&searchtext=

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

boneration posted:

What the gently caress, popups when you cast a spell. What has science done.

If SkyUI and/or SKSE go paid I'm gonna have to reassess my position I guess. For now I will just be not mad about video games.

I have bad news, SkyUI IS going paid.

SKSE's devs have said it'll never go pay though.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I can't imagine how there can be a sustainable balance between guaranteeing worthwhile content such that people will buy it, not spending an extortionate amount on administrative fees for weeding out blatant ripoffs/enforcing updates for paid content, and not completely loving the desire of people to pay for stuff they can probably just pirate/edit the free version of to get rid of daft nag prompts.

Essentially valve are trying to sell software, which depends entirely on other software, which is making no effort whatsoever to remain compatible with its derivatives, and which valve have no way of enforcing any sort of support schedule on.

It's like, they literally could not have gone any further down the lovely shovelware vending route if they tried. This is it, this is peak shovelware, unknown bums shilling IPs they do not own for games they don't control which will break their poo poo with every update.

I can't even begin to imagine how this can maintain a good enough rep to remain profitable.

SpudCat
Mar 12, 2012

Jabor posted:

GateGate 2: Mod Harder.

This time with actual money on the line.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Cardboard Box A posted:

4) The shift in thinking once mods become something that are no longer assumed to be free but instead part of the nickel and diming machine. What will it do to the community? Can it make it actually worse (minecraft ad.fly download links says yes) ?

It will give freelancing developers and hobbyists good reason to continue making mods instead of leaving the community to come up with their own paid Kickstarter/Greenlight projects. Modding was in its golden years before the existence of free and user-friendly game engines and development tools. Nowadays, modding comes at the opportunity cost that you could have been making your own intellectual property to build your resume and make revenue. There are videogames that have shot up to the top places of the Steam most-bought and most-played lists just because of their community-made mods, and every programmer and artist looking at that fact has thought "jesus, why would I spend so much of my free time making something I'll never see a dollar for?"

There are big issues with the concept and implementation of this system and those issues are playing out very hilariously right now, but I see this aspect as a positive response to a changing market, not an issue.

MrBims fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Apr 25, 2015

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Real hurthling! posted:

^^^^
this is the worst part imo

I don't think it's much of an incentive, not that many people use mods and the fixes take some time to appear, so they'd tank their review scores and alienate the majority of their customers. It'd be a pretty short-sighted decision if they did.

mikemil828
May 15, 2008

A man who has said too much

neogeo0823 posted:

So, serious post a bit, but does anyone else feel like this is a really really bad idea? Probably half of the entirety of the modding community for all games is toxic as gently caress. The toxic element generally tend to drown out the decent modders by being the loudest wheels on the cart and doing their level best to rise above their "competition" by drowning out anything even remotely similar to their stuff while shilling out ads and links for Ad.fly donation bullshit. [/i]

The relationship between gamers and video game developers is for the most part entirely toxic, the only thing is that gamers generally have paid the developers by the time they go on the official forums to tell the developers to go choke on a dick and die. Modders until now have pretty much have to put up with gamers without any form of compensation other than being sorta internet famous. I wouldn't surprised if ultimately it was modders themselves that came up with the idea, floated it to Bethesda and Valve, and they made it work for the three of them. It probably was just a matter of time really before this happened, especially given that although gamers love to gripe and make death threats, they always pay up in the end. Really, gamers brought this upon themselves.

Bel Monte
Oct 9, 2012
But now that money is involved, modders get to deal with the consequences of that.

Pretty certain modders wanted money involved. What none of them ever stopped to think about is how doing so involves a lot of legal issues.

So if this goes mainstream, who's going to start contacting flickr users that their copyrighted photos are being used to make a profit without their knowledge or permission for HD texture mods?

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

mikemil828 posted:

The relationship between gamers and video game developers is for the most part entirely toxic, the only thing is that gamers generally have paid the developers by the time they go on the official forums to tell the developers to go choke on a dick and die. Modders until now have pretty much have to put up with gamers without any form of compensation other than being sorta internet famous. I wouldn't surprised if ultimately it was modders themselves that came up with the idea, floated it to Bethesda and Valve, and they made it work for the three of them. It probably was just a matter of time really before this happened, especially given that although gamers love to gripe and make death threats, they always pay up in the end. Really, gamers brought this upon themselves.
Mod asset creation difficulty/cost scaling along with general game asset creation difficulty/cost could ultimately have been said to force the issue. However we can't blame "gamers" for this until it actually takes off.

MrBims posted:

It will give freelancing developers and hobbyists good reason to continue making mods instead of leaving the community to come up with their own paid Kickstarter/Greenlight projects. Modding was in its golden years before the existence of free and user-friendly game engines and development tools. Nowadays, modding comes at the opportunity cost that you could have been making your own intellectual property to build your resume and make revenue. There are videogames that have shot up to the top places of the Steam most-bought and most-played lists just because of their community-made mods, and every programmer and artist looking at that fact has thought "jesus, why would I spend so much of my free time making something I'll never see a dollar for?"

There are big issues with the concept and implementation of this system and those issues are playing out very hilariously right now, but I see this aspect as a positive response to a changing market, not an issue.
How well do you think the modder/publisher/valve profit split of 25/45/30% and absolutely no payouts at all for the first $400 USD (of the modder's 25% share) the mod makes address this changing market? Is this the best modders can hope for?

emTme3
Nov 7, 2012

by Hand Knit

mikemil828 posted:

Yeah, I'm sure it was that monolithic entity 'modders' that came up with giving a 75% cut to Valve and developers.

This is a loving terrible idea and I would sooner cut off my cock than pay for a mod. Make your own loving game if you want to get paid; modding is a hobby.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

mikemil828 posted:

Gamers (collective).

Though at least I now know of the modding Cabal.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Bel Monte posted:

But now that money is involved, modders get to deal with the consequences of that.

Pretty certain modders wanted money involved. What none of them ever stopped to think about is how doing so involves a lot of legal issues.

So if this goes mainstream, who's going to start contacting flickr users that their copyrighted photos are being used to make a profit without their knowledge or permission for HD texture mods?

Well, this is why Steam would be the platform to do this - Valve would be the ultimate arbiter of how money comes in (infrastructure already all there and standardized) and who gets it, and any violation of the rules would be punished by a company that can afford to hire as much legal help as sorting out disputes and taking scammers to court requires.

Cardboard Box A posted:

How well do you think the modder/publisher/valve profit split of 25/45/30% and absolutely no payouts at all for the first $400 USD (of the modder's 25% share) the mod makes address this changing market? Is this the best modders can hope for?

I don't know, but going with what I mention above, a lopsided split makes a bit of sense if you think of all the business-end being taken out of the equation for the modders. I don't know how that split will play out when everyone gets their poo poo together and money starts moving. It may be too little, but if so, Valve would have incentive to change it to get more people onboard.

MrBims fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Apr 25, 2015

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

I lust in my heart for as many dead refugees as possible.

mikemil828 posted:

I hope you get run over by a truck full of rampaging gamers.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

It'll be interesting to see when and where mod monetization spreads after Skyrim. Lots of other games on the workshop, will other companies jump in?

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Cardboard Box A posted:

This is one of the things that gets me, 90% of mods and modders won't see a dime from this and even then the popular ones are still being shafted hard, its plainly Valve trying to leech off of the modding community while putting on airs of "empowering the modders" or some such poo poo.

And tons of people are going to fall for it, I wonder if valve will open things up so it can get more underage Anime catgirls on the market.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

Pillbug

projecthalaxy posted:

It'll be interesting to see when and where mod monetization spreads after Skyrim. Lots of other games on the workshop, will other companies jump in?

https://mobile.twitter.com/PdxInteractive/status/591630305783603200

Paradox is koo .

• Locked thread