Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Dr Cheeto posted:

You're going so broad here as to implicate anyone who has ever owned a domesticated animal ever of animal abuse

nah, basically just bred them pedigree style for animal shows. I'm personally cool with breeding working dogs such a huskies and such, as long as a sufficiently wide variation in appearance is allowed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Post your buns

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
you first, cowboy

:wink:
:wmwink:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Dyna Soar posted:

nah, basically just bred them pedigree style for animal shows. I'm personally cool with breeding working dogs such a huskies and such, as long as a sufficiently wide variation in appearance is allowed.

You get spotty coats and curled tails just from breeding canids to be sociable with humans.

Also, inbreeding depression is hugely overstated as a risk to long-term species survivorship. Humans are, as a species, from a small stock and there's poo poo tons of us around.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Pick posted:

You get spotty coats and curled tails just from breeding canids to be sociable with humans.

this is actually a very good point. breeding animals based on their reaction to us changes the way they look pretty dramatically. now breeding animals based on the way they look can andwill surely have equally dramatic effects on their other attributes.

Pick posted:

Also, inbreeding depression is hugely overstated as a risk to long-term species survivorship. Humans are, as a species, from a small stock and there's poo poo tons of us around.

tell that to all the dog and animal breeds that have crippling genetic disorders and the breeders who have no desire to fix them by introducing fresh genetic material out of fear that their lineage become impure.

death sext
Nov 4, 2011

lol you dingus

Jimbo Jaggins
Jul 19, 2013
woooooah poo poo this rabbits head is half an inch too long, this just wont do

*throws it into the mutant toothed banana pit*

dinner time boys!

*bananas chatter with excitement*

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

rabbits do not illicit the same sympathy in me as dogs because rabbits are either game or varmints, depending on the season

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Blue Raider posted:

rabbits do not illicit the same sympathy in me as dogs because rabbits are either game or varmints, depending on the season

Both are bred for food so they're similar

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Aesop Poprock posted:

Both are bred for food so they're similar

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Dyna Soar posted:

tell that to all the dog and animal breeds that have crippling genetic disorders and the breeders who have no desire to fix them by introducing fresh genetic material out of fear that their lineage become impure.

Dogs are not representative, as they have a high degree of plasticity not found in most other animals. That's why people default to dog breeds as their examples, even though we've been domesticating sheep and cats far long enough to see similar characteristics if it were possible.

Also, to make them more sociable, dogs are intentionally bred for neotony, which is where most of the genetic problems such as dental deformities derive. Angora rabbits are bred for fiber, as are sheep, not for "infant" characteristics. The mini rex and the Jacob's sheep are not morphologically afflicted.

Angela Lansburial
Feb 9, 2005
Nothing to see here.
shut the gently caress up you assholes

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

The dude abides

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

HOLY loving poo poo

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

the correct path through the course

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Cubey posted:

the correct path through the course

bunnies are clever :3:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Pikachu
Feb 6, 2010

DANGER DANGER
HIGH VOLTAGE
As promised, here are all the bunnies I have

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ykk4hydQORM

http://imgur.com/a/Bm1G3

Acid Haze
Feb 16, 2009

:parrot:
Thank you for answering my question, Pick.

Here are the buns I was talking about :

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

That should automatically win the competition

death sext
Nov 4, 2011

i need to get one of these

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Dude, that poo poo's tame. Feast your eyes on this horror

:nms:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Umezn9sD2cY:nms:

Tamerlame
Oct 20, 2012

That one makes me annoyed because that rabbit was probably disqualified for being smart.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
This is a good thread. It makes me feel better. Unlike other threads. They make me feel worse.

Bean
Sep 9, 2001

Pepper eating parsley. She gets everything on her head.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~

This is a good bunny. Here is a video of the owner playing matador with tissues.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsMcQEvySXA

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
rabbits are cute but their lack of intelligence bothers me so i dont really care about them . sorry thred

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

rabbits are cute but their lack of intelligence bothers me so i dont really care about them . sorry thred

it's ok, we don't give a gently caress about your opinion

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

gnarlyhotep posted:

This

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

:swoon:

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Enfys posted:

That should automatically win the competition
Agreed, It's the Ko-bunny-ashi Maru.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
less bans more buns

skeletonotherkin
Sep 26, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWnenIqcz0Q

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

gnarlyhotep posted:

I .. uh

oh :(

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

http://www.alexander-the-great.co.uk/gordian_knot.htm

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

I really love the bunnies, but I wish they didn't poop so much. They are literal poo poo machines. I didn't believe it until I had a roommate that kept a couple of miniature bunnies of some sort, and god, they shat so loving much. Every time I turned around it was time to clean their loving cage. They also pissed a whole bunch, especially when they got comfy.

Have you ever had an animal just settle down with you, get comfortable and PISS? It's terrible! The worst! And their piss was super milky-looking and sticky and you had to scrub and scrub and....Just gently caress, man.

For a while after that, I hated bunnies. I have been able to recover.

So... You can train a rabbit not to poo poo everywhere, can you train one not to piss?

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

seems like if you do it right they can be litter trained

these are some cute bunnies, best gbs thread in a long time

Laughing Man
Feb 11, 2008
I thought what I’d do was pretend I was one of those deaf mutes, or something...

DicktheCat posted:

I really love the bunnies, but I wish they didn't poop so much. They are literal poo poo machines. I didn't believe it until I had a roommate that kept a couple of miniature bunnies of some sort, and god, they shat so loving much. Every time I turned around it was time to clean their loving cage. They also pissed a whole bunch, especially when they got comfy.

Have you ever had an animal just settle down with you, get comfortable and PISS? It's terrible! The worst! And their piss was super milky-looking and sticky and you had to scrub and scrub and....Just gently caress, man.

For a while after that, I hated bunnies. I have been able to recover.

So... You can train a rabbit not to poo poo everywhere, can you train one not to piss?

it's easier to train them to piss in one place, and also it's easier to buy a second litter box to put down in a spot the rabbit decides MUST BE PEED ON, but that only happened to me with elderly rabbits.

they will still dribble poos everywhere, but at least all it takes is a dustbuster to clean up

if a bunny pees on you they did it on purpose, they usually save it for their spot to pee even if they arent trained

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

DicktheCat posted:

Yes, it takes time though. Just like any other animal. Find a treat it prefers, use positive reinforcement and you can train them. Success is of course limited by the animal's natural ability to learn. Some things are just "gently caress stupid". Others pick poo poo up quick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

• Locked thread