Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Think about it. Japan made Evangelion in 1995. Pacific Rim? 2013.
Battle Royale was written in 1996, published in 1999, and adapted to film in 2000. The Hunger Games? First book came out 2008, movie in 2012.
Paprika? Published in whole in 1993, adapted to film in 2006. Inception? 2010.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BHB
Aug 28, 2011
makes u think

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

two words: William Gibson

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Not now chief, I'm in the fuckin' zone.
Im looking for a bento (that's japanese for lunch) box, it cant be pinku (thats japanese for pink) or any girl color. It has to be of 2 or more kotoba (thats japanese for 2 compartments) and has be be chibi(small) sized. And has to be really kawaii (cute). Also It has to be about 10-20 bux. And you have to post pics of it first (i want to make sure it's kawaii [cute]). And it would be nice if it came with matching chopstick holder (WITH chopsticks). OH! and it CANNOT have any cartoon pictures, or be made out of plastic. It has to be made of ceramic, or something like that. Also it would be nice if it was made in japan. and not in china or corea (korea) or whatever. I have found a bento box similar to the one im describing in e-bay, but it was 1 kotoba, and i dont want my gohan (rice) to touch my other things (it can get wet and i would not like that, plus 2 compartments looks more kawaii)

Enfield
May 30, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
what about slash, idiot

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

japan has nothing to compare to kid rock

Enfield
May 30, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
also the beatles

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Enfield posted:

also the beatles

Enfield posted:

what about slash, idiot

both of those are british. :colbert:

Enfield
May 30, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
i think id know that if tgst were true.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Prettz posted:

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Barack Obama, Japan never had one of those.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Enfield posted:

i think id know that if tgst were true.

Slash was born in London. You can't deny the truth!

Prettz posted:

A man ahead of his time, it's true.

BeanBandit
Mar 15, 2001

Beanbandit?
Son of a bitch!

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
ok wow I'm going to kill myself over how wrong I was.

BHB
Aug 28, 2011

a bone to pick posted:

ok wow I'm going to kill myself over how wrong I was.

japan beats the US at that as well

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I unironically want Obama to retire here.

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

the golden gate bridge isn't quite as cool as the japanese suicide forest

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
Running Man beat Battle Royale by decades you goddamned idiot

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

bonus hole boy posted:

makes u think

nope

son gay. so what
Mar 13, 2011

BeefThief posted:

the golden gate bridge isn't quite as cool as the japanese suicide forest

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

They had fat sweaty guys wearing white socks with their sandals long before the USA was even a nation.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Raku posted:

Running Man beat Battle Royale by decades you goddamned idiot

Running man isn't about schoolchildren having to kill each other to teach them a lesson in manners, and I don't think the events of Battle Royale are televised, though its possible the winners become famous, though that makes it really weird that teenagers dont know anything about it.

(can't find a decent gif of this)

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

Randarkman posted:

Running man isn't about schoolchildren having to kill each other to teach them a lesson in manners, and I don't think the events of Battle Royale are televised, though its possible the winners become famous, though that makes it really weird that teenagers dont know anything about it.

Hunger Games is a direct ripoff of Running Man and not Battle Royale though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rwb2glCshzY

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Raku posted:

That's probably true

And I guess the greater theme in Battle Royale too is pretty similar to Running Man as well. Battle Royale is still both shocking and hilarious, and thats the important part.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Apr 25, 2015

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

Enfield posted:

also the beatles

British.

Phobic Nest
Oct 2, 2013

You Are My Sunshine

Enfield posted:

what about slash, idiot

That's true, we had Kirk/Spock gay fanfics long before Japan came up with yaoi. :patriot:

potee
Jul 23, 2007

Or, you know.

Not fine.
japanese rape mangas have orders of magnitude more tentacles, better for suicidal salarymen

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Randarkman posted:

(can't find a decent gif of this)

I think they mention that it's televised in the books. I'm not a hundred perecnt on that, I read the book years ago, and it wast that terrible old translation that got character's names mixed up, so who knows.

Enfield
May 30, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
rolling stones, moron

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

boom boom boom posted:

I think they mention that it's televised in the books. I'm not a hundred perecnt on that, I read the book years ago, and it wast that terrible old translation that got character's names mixed up, so who knows.

Isn't the book also set in an alternate history where the Axis powers won WWII? The movie basically has no backstory or exposition or anything, beyond references to some resistance or something if I remember correctly, I never really bothered too much with the fine details of Battle Royale's (the movie that is) plot.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Disney invented anime so no.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Mightaswell posted:

Im looking for a bento (that's japanese for lunch) box, it cant be pinku (thats japanese for pink) or any girl color. It has to be of 2 or more kotoba (thats japanese for 2 compartments) and has be be chibi(small) sized. And has to be really kawaii (cute). Also It has to be about 10-20 bux. And you have to post pics of it first (i want to make sure it's kawaii [cute]). And it would be nice if it came with matching chopstick holder (WITH chopsticks). OH! and it CANNOT have any cartoon pictures, or be made out of plastic. It has to be made of ceramic, or something like that. Also it would be nice if it was made in japan. and not in china or corea (korea) or whatever. I have found a bento box similar to the one im describing in e-bay, but it was 1 kotoba, and i dont want my gohan (rice) to touch my other things (it can get wet and i would not like that, plus 2 compartments looks more kawaii)

are bentos those tiered stackable round lunchboxes? cuz those seemed a pretty good way to pack a lunch, especially if they were insulated and microwave and oven safe

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008
paprika is a vegetable op.

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Raku posted:

I don't need to watch that video to know you're wrong

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

truly the zenith of modern human culture

Aug 4, 2010

quote:

In Japan, an original version of the show "Sing what happens" (Killer Karaoke) broadcasts on a premium channel and adult BS Sky cable! . In this program, several candidates must sing a song they learned by heart and not to be distracted by the young lady who is beside them and is masturbating them, sometimes with her hands, sometimes using her feet. These candidates must carry a tune in absurd conditions, without being distracted and if possible until ejaculation..

:nws: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aD8A5N9doG4 :nws:

coming to an american tv near you in 2030

Pro Target
Oct 29, 2006

Comparing Evangelion to pacific rim is an insult to Evangelion

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

everythingWasBees posted:

Battle Royale was written in 1996, published in 1999, and adapted to film in 2000. The Hunger Games? First book came out 2008, movie in 2012.

Counter-point: They made Battle Royale 2.

Actually I take that back. The movie actually features a rugby player in full uniform throwing an exploding ball, rules that make no sense, and it's massively pro-terrorist. The end of the movie actually has the heroes join Al-Quida, more or less.

It's bat poo poo enough to be worth a watch but is a travesty compared to the original.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

www posted:

:nws: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aD8A5N9doG4 :nws:

coming to an american tv near you in 2030

I wonder if they get to pick the music.

Clearly the only choice is "Bigger, harder, faster, stronger."

• Locked thread