Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Poison, do you reply or pass?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Sure, what the blue gently caress. I'll ante an Iron Body token.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

No further Ante.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
this update brought to you via tolly's phone! new pairs please

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Tollymain posted:

4th Beat!

Cadenza
16 Life
Discard 1: Grapnel Burst
Discard 2: Mechanical Shot
Special: Rocket Press
Token Pool:

Gaspar Geddon
11 Life
Discard 1: Gordian Dash
Discard 2: Recursive Burst, Grasp
Special: Blank Infinity

~~~

-- ANTE

-- Gaspar antes Shot! His clone is placed in his current space!
-- Cadenza antes an Iron Body token for Stun Immunity this beat!
-- Gaspar passes!
-- Cadenza passes!

-- REVEAL

Cadenza
Battery Press

Gaspar Geddon
Special Shot

CANCEL!

Quoting so I don't have to flip between pages.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i'm going to be real here, that was a horrific misplay shadow :v:

poison mushroom, i'm assuming you want to advance 1

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
5th Beat!

Cadenza
15 Life
Discard 1: Clockwork Drive
Discard 2: Battery Press, Grapnel Burst
Token Pool:

Gaspar Geddon
5 Life
Discard 1: Instanced Strike, Shot
Discard 2: Gordian Dash

~~~

-- ANTE

-- Gaspar antes Grasp! His clone is placed in his current space!
-- Cadenza antes an Iron Body token for Stun Immunity this beat!
-- Gaspar passes!
-- Cadenza passes!

-- REVEAL

Cadenza

Gaspar Geddon

-- Gaspar is the active character this beat!

-- START OF BEAT

-- Gaspar retreats 1 or 2 spaces! He moves 1!

-- GASPAR CLONE

ACTIVATION:

-- Gaspar Clone reaches out with a Clone's Grasp!
-- Clone's Grasp has a range of 1! It hits!

ON HIT:

-- Gaspar Clone moves Cadenza 1! He pushes 1!
-- Clone's Grasp has a power of 1!
-- Cadenza has Soak 1! Cadenza has Stun Immunity! Cadenza is unharmed!

-- ACTIVE CHARACTER

BEFORE ACTIVATING:

-- Gaspar moves each of his Clones up to 2 spaces! Gaspar declines the movement!

ACTIVATION:

-- Gaspar unleashes a Cascading Burst!
-- Cascading Burst has a range of 2~3! It hits!

ON HIT:

-- Cascading Burst has a power of 2!
-- Cadenza has Soak 1! Cadenza has Stun Immunity! Cadenza takes 1 damage, but it's unfazed!

-- REACTIVE CHARACTER

BEFORE ACTIVATING:

-- Cadenza advances 1 space!

ACTIVATION:

-- Cadenza lashes out with a Hydraulic Strike!
-- Hydraulic Strike has a range of 1! It misses!

-- END OF BEAT

-- Gaspar Clone dissipates into nothing!

-- RECYCLE

Tollymain fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Apr 30, 2015

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I only have one Iron Body token left. :eng101:

And should Battery Press be in discard 1? I forget how cancels work.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

I believe that PM should be at 14. My clone shot did one, knocking her down to soak 2, and then I struck for 4, dealing two damage. Also, we should both be a space to the left.

Not that it matters, as the game likely ends this beat haha.

Shadow225 fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Apr 28, 2015

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

There needs to be a mix of :smugbert: and :psylon:.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Nah, but I think I just got lucky in a couple places.

I actually spent most of the game terrified of a Replicated Bladestorm.

Edit: I also think not picking Inception as your finisher was a mistake. You could have taunted out Clockwork, then hit me hard.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Since the game will likely be pretty short, I'm going to post a run down of my thoughts behind each move, as well as my thoughts on the match-up, period. Both of those things will be addressed for sure. I think it would be cool if we got you/Tolly/GO/any other spectators to do the same or comment on our analyses.

The one thing I will fight you on; it wasn't luck. You've played well up until this point and deserve to take credit for it.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

The one move I'm genuinely proud of is taunting out your Dash into a Grapnel Burst. Forced you to get in close with me without any real escape.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Also, if you're going to do a play-by-play of thoughts, then it's only reasonable that I will, too.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Shadow225 posted:

I believe that PM should be at 14. My clone shot did one, knocking her down to soak 2, and then I struck for 4, dealing two damage. Also, we should both be a space to the left.

Not that it matters, as the game likely ends this beat haha.

Soak isn't depleted by attacks. That's why Gaspar's generally low Power compares so unfavorably against Cadenza's Hydraulic and Clockwork styles. Also, your clone's Shot had a priority of 2, compared to your Instanced Strike's priority of 4. Sorry :ohdear:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Shadow225 posted:

Also, we should both be a space to the left.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
fixed

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

My bad! I'll send in my attacks in a few hours after I crush this final.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
hope you did good on the final, shadow!

poison, do you ante an iron body token or pass?

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

I originally submitted an illegal attack pair, so I send the correct base. My apologies.

Thanks for the well wishes!

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Congrats on acing your final!

Ante my final Iron Body token.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

No further ante.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
6th Beat!

Cadenza
14 Life
Discard 1: Hydraulic Strike
Discard 2: Clockwork Drive
Token Pool: Empty

Gaspar Geddon
5 Life
Discard 1: Cascading Burst, Grasp
Discard 2: Instanced Strike, Shot

~~~

-- ANTE

-- Gaspar antes Drive! His clone is placed in his current space!
-- Cadenza passes!
-- Gaspar passes!

-- REVEAL

Cadenza

Gaspar Geddon

CANCEL!

Cadenza

Gaspar Geddon

-- Gaspar's attack has a power of N/A! Gaspar Clone dissipates into nothing and Drive returns to his hand!
-- Gaspar is the active character this beat!

-- START OF BEAT

-- Cadenza retreats 1 or 2 spaces! It moves 2!

-- ACTIVE CHARACTER

BEFORE ACTIVATING:

-- Gaspar switches places with one of his clones! Gaspar doesn't have any Clones to switch with!

ACTIVATION:

-- Gaspar breaks into a Gordian Dash!

AFTER ACTIVATING:

-- Gaspar moves 1, 2, or 3 spaces! He advances 3!

-- REACTIVE CHARACTER

ACTIVATION:

-- Cadenza unleashes a Battery Burst!
-- Battery Burst has a range of 2~3! It misses!

-- END OF BEAT

-- Cadenza has +4 Priority next beat!

-- RECYCLE

Tollymain fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Apr 30, 2015

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Oh, nice.

And you got your Dash back.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Continuing my role as the local neighborhood headache, should my clone have attacked first? It had a priority of 5, and I had a priority of 3.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
They lose priority ties. If it has a higher priority, it still goes first.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Is it tied with me in this case? I've never played with more than 2 characters or character-like entities on board.
You have me resolving the attack before the clone here, which is where I'm thrown off.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i think you're confused. the clone's attack went first.

the only way the clone has a priority tie with you is if your priorities are equal. if it had a priority of 3, that would be a priority tie (and then it would activate after you because it loses those ties)

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

You're right, I am confused. I just saw it. I'll get you something for being a headache this entire game.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
noooooooo don't worry about it

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
new pairs please

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Cancel seems slightly good against me. This won't be pretty.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I'll retreat two.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
shadow, how far do you want to move?

E: actually i'm gonna assume 3 unless you state otherwise

Tollymain fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Apr 30, 2015

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
7th Beat!

Cadenza
14 Life
Discard 1: Battery Burst
Discard 2: Hydraulic Strike
Token Pool: Empty

Gaspar Geddon
5 Life
Discard 1: Gordian Dash
Discard 2: Replicated Bladestorm, Cascading Burst, Grasp

~~~

-- ANTE

-- Gaspar passes!
-- Cadenza passes!

-- REVEAL

Cadenza

Gaspar Geddon

CLASH!

Cadenza

Gaspar Geddon

-- Cadenza is the active character this beat!

-- ACTIVE CHARACTER

ACTIVATION:

-- Cadenza reaches out with a Clockwork Grasp!
-- Clockwork Grasp has a range of 1! It hits!

ON HIT:

-- Clockwork Grasp has a power of 5!
-- Gaspar has Stun Guard 5! Gaspar takes 5 damage and is knocked out!

KNOCKOUT! CADENZA WINS!

Tollymain fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Apr 30, 2015

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

It's been a fun ride. I'll make my effort post after I'm officially dead.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Clash! Please submit new bases!

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That's game! Good game to you both. Let's hear them mortem posts

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Good game PM! Thanks for hosting Tolly!

Okay, so a running theme in this fight was miscues for me. Everything from misunderstanding rules, to not realizing board position, to committing to illegal moves, and then changing them afterward.

Initial thoughts: Cadenza has a lot of stats everywhere except priority, its one weakness, and to a lesser extent range. This tells me that I should probably play as evasive a battle as possible. However, I felt that Cadenza had more tools to close the gap than I had tools to play keep away, so I decided to try and sit down on it, and trade with PM. I was going to be aggressive with my clones in the hopes of catching stuns using my superior priority. A few flaws will be discovered here as we play, especially in Beat 2.

Beat 1: I assumed that you wanted to get aggressive here like the heavyweight you are. So, wouldn't it catch you off guard if I got in your face instead? I went with Recursive Stike to that I could close the distance on you, and ante'd a Shot behind me to attack you at distance. Problem being that I misread Recursive, so I told Tolly the wrong movement, and I whiffed on the attack. I assumed I would either stun you, or force a token, so I wasn't worried about your damage.

Beat 2: So two realizations here: 1. Cadenza hit so much harder than I anticipated. 2. I've been playing Ante wrong the entire time I've played the game. This made me about 90% sure that I wouldn't win. I assumed that we anted simultaneously, so I thought I could either bluff out your tokens with my position, or smash through with Replicating~. With this in mind, I thought that I could stun you with my Grasp, and keep you in the corner. You ante'd the token, and ensured that I couldn't stun you, so I just kept you in the corner. I didn't expect you to come rushing out at the end of beat.

Beat 3: Your soul read! I ante'd the clone in hopes of bluffing you off my dash. I used Gordian to get it back. You called it well, so I got in your face to prepare for the next attack...

Beat 4: So, I have you in the corner here. You put yourself in the corner with an attack that would have punished running away from you, so I assume you have a plan. You were either going to get past me or lobotomize me. So, I decide to go for the biggest punish I could have. I decided to stun you and go for broke. I was going to ante the Shot with Replicating Bladestorm to keep you from dashing past and stun you before you could hit me. I realized that my finisher wasn't that great, and if this idea worked out, ripping your most powerful attack or dash out of your hand was a decent idea and would have more impact than Blank Inifinty. So, I canceled to rip it from your hand. All went well...until you ante'd the token. I assumed that you wanted to save it for a reactionary activation, so I didn't expect you to use it here at all. I'm pretty dejected, and realize the duel is over before I even send the next attack pair. I decide to save the :masterstroke: for later, and go with Instanced Strike because I was 1 space away, and my other options have movement which I probably needed.

Beat 5: I'm struggling with ideas to stay alive here. I assume that you are going to use your last token and just end the game, and there's not a lot that I could do here. After a few rules messages to Tolly, I found a plan. If I and my clone have the same priority, I'll attack, then my clone attacks. So, if I ante Grasp, and use Cascading Strike, I can hit you, move my clone to the other side of you, then the clone will grasp you over itself, putting you out of distance of any of your potential attacks. I very large problem with this: after sending my attack pairs, I realized I don't have strike anymore. It's down to either Burst or Bladestorm. If I Bladestorm, I effectively concede the duel, but if I Burst, I can maybe live longer? My clone's grasp is quicker than any combo you have, so it will hit first. My plan is to put you in the corner, then burst away. I considered moving the clone behind you as in the Strike plan, but I can hit you with Burst with this method.

Beat 6: So, I survived. Yay. I got my dash back here, which is what I assume PM has me on, so let's subvert that. She has no more tokens, so I can stun things. I still have to work around stun guard, including the Press SG of 6. I only have Drive, Bladestorm, and Dash, so I ante Drive, Replicating Bladestorm, and cross her up to stun no matter what she plays. Unless she plays a cancel, apparently. Grade A cancel, really good against me. I literaly only have Dash left, so I Gordian Dash to give me some options next beat.

Beat 7: I'm pretty SOL here. The Battery of last beat means PM is going to beat me in any way. I go with my fastest pair, Instanced Drive, in case something goes awry and I get the jump. We clash, and I play strike but it literally doesn't matter as she can grasp me and do a Zangief Spinning Atomic Buster to end the game.

After game impressions: I need to learn the rules. I feel really bad for putting Tolly, and Gutter before him/her through this haha. Cadenze hits like a rock, so I should have stopped trying to trade. I need to calm down on anteing my bases as it limits me way too much down the road. Beats 3 and 4 were the deciding beats, especially since my Cancel didn't work as planned. I started to think of some clever tricks midway through the game, but it was too little too late. I don't think there's a universe in which I win this match-up.

Cadenza impressions: The entire reason we're having this vendetta in the first place is because I thought Cadenza was a boring design, and PM wanted to prove me wrong in Mortal Kombat Battle Connection. I stand 100% behind this assertion. It's a giant pile of numbers with the ability to resist stuns for 3 rounds and just punch you in the face. It has plenty of tools to get right back in your face if you play keep away, so you're just going to get hit like a truck. I'm not a fan of the fact that it can use the tokens reactively, as it lets you get around the one true weakness in weak priority. I feel like the rebuttal here is that he only has 3 tokens, but the average power of any of it's attacks is 4.27, not including Dash combos and not accounting for the special property of Press. By the time you get hit 3 times, the duel is close to over. It's a very simple design that is relevant only through sheer power. There's no sense of conveyence and few tricks to make you feel clever. Alex and Cesar are much more interesting to me, though I haven't looked to see which if any would be better than Cadenze. Note that this is my impression of the character alone, not PM's play of it. I could be completely wrong, and I'm semi-open to being wrong, but I feel like it probably has a favorable match-up against most of the cast, or at least most of what I've seen.

Gaspar impressions: The lasting impression is that the character conveys the idea of being a clone man very well. I actually felt that I was coordinating attacks from multiple angles to disorient the opponent, and I appreciate that. I don't completely understand the theory of the character. Am I supposed to play aggressively or keep away? He only seemed to have 1 extra positioning option, so I assumed aggressive. I'm also confused as to how often I should clone. It gives me an offensive advantage, but leaves me much more limited afterward. I don't know. He has vanilla priority for the most part, and the big sticking point is that he's weak. Against opponents without soak or stun guard, this is fine, as he and his clones can stun you into oblivion as he whittles away at your health. Against beefier opponents, I think he will struggle to do his damage or stun. As Tolly pointed out, he does have some tools to cut through soak and stun guard, so I think he'll be alright against any heavyweight not named Cadenza. I'd like to see some higher level players play him, as I'd like to think that he's a character with a high mechanical ceiling, rather than a mediocre character.

Match-up impressions: I don't see a lot of ways that Gaspar wins this one. Cadenza is a train made entirely of stun guard and soak, so getting in is difficult. In the situations where you set yourself up to stun it, it can activate a token and smash you anyway with the exception of Replicating~. I don't think you can play keep away as it has more tools to keep up with you than you can keep away from it, and you don't have the defense to trade too many times. Or course I played terribly, but it wouldn't surprise me to see Cadenza as a 7/3 or even 8/2 favorite in this match up.

Poison Mushroom impressions: You stomped me this go around. Combined with just barely losing while playing a gross mismatch as one of the worst characters, I would gladly pin you as the better player. That being said, as long as we can find mods, I'll gladly have Sisyphian battles with you.

I'd love to have feedback on any of this from PM, Tolly, or anyone in the peanut gallery. There's so much diversity and strategy in the game, but not a lot of theory crafting. I love hearing outside opinions, especially from better players.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I think playing Cadenza really gives a different view of his strong conveyance. It is a character with a small number of things he does very well, at the cost of being incredibly predictable. It's an unstoppable machine with a few glaring omissions in its design.

Cadenza keeps coming, over and over again, until it just doesn't any more. Tolly and I were talking, and we decided that Cesar is Terminator 1's T-800, but Cadenza is the Terminator 2 T-800. You shoot him and he doesn't give a poo poo but you knocked off a bit of his skin.

By the time you lose your third Iron Body token, you're just the upper half of a robot riding on a gear.

I will go into more detail and also do my turn by turn once I'm not on mobile.

• Locked thread