Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phobic Nest
Oct 2, 2013

You Are My Sunshine
Yes you were supposed to beat it in one go, completing every level. The old games didn't put a cute little 100% on the screen but you didn't need it because you knew.

Did you get all the warp whistles? Did you trigger the hidden mushroom houses and coin ships?

No, of course not. You could feel Mario's disapproving gaze upon you. You both knew.

You knew.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smellbound
Sep 26, 2000

facebook jihad posted:

Because that is a long loving game. Were you just supposed to sit on your rear end for like 6 hours straight and beat it out? No wonder kids got fat from this poo poo that is pathetic
warp whistle you loving dumbass

im sure someone mentioned it but shut the gently caress up and go gently caress yourself

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
what was the point of playing videogames before there were trophies and leaderboards?

Phobic Nest
Oct 2, 2013

You Are My Sunshine
I honestly don't know. When Sonic was the first popular video game to punish you with a lovely ending for not playing it perfectly I was like,

Yes. Thank you.

loving finally.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Ein cooler Typ posted:

what was the point of playing videogames before there were trophies and leaderboards?

having a good time with good friends playing good games

Smellbound
Sep 26, 2000

Ein cooler Typ posted:

there is a GPS tracking sitefor cycling called Strava and its kinda like that with leaderboards and everything

whats the point of a bike ride if nobody knows about it????

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

I could beat the game in one sitting without warps when I was 9 and it took like 2.5 - 3 hours, sorry you were and are a scrub op

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Phobic Nest posted:

I honestly don't know. When Sonic was the first popular video game to punish you with a lovely ending for not playing it perfectly I was like,

Yes. Thank you.

loving finally.
bubble bobble was popular you absolute fucker bitch

sonic is trash. i spit on the hedgehog

Smellbound
Sep 26, 2000
gently caress the hedgehog, shameful game and shameful animal in general

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax

Dr. Eldarion posted:

lol if you can't run through the whole game in under an hour.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-bkDz0wPsI&t=6s
lol at how short the levels are

burritolingus
Nov 6, 2007

by Ralp

BexGu posted:

There was also this thing, like a pre-internet thing, where you would talk with you friends at the school yard about all this secrets and tricks every one has found. Once some one's cool older brother figured out the double warp whistle trick the game could be beat in 30 mins.

And then you'd call that fat kid Randy a liar for saying that if you don't kill any goomba Peach is nude after you save her. Cause gently caress that guy.

Yeah, the whole "I can't believe they expected you to beat this game without the internet" is just dumb angry reviewer crap. I never had a problem with Zelda 2 as a kid, despite how cryptic it is in parts, because I spent time with it, as did my friends, and we swapped secrets until we beat it and moved on.

Smellbound
Sep 26, 2000

coldplay chiptunes posted:

lol at how short the levels are
i replayed it last year its actually an easy game meant for children unlike contra and castlevania etc

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Smellbound posted:

warp whistle you loving dumbass

im sure someone mentioned it but shut the gently caress up and go gently caress yourself

Uh oh someone called my favorite pastime of sitting in front of a tv for an ungodly amount time pathetic time to get internet mad

Smellbound
Sep 26, 2000

facebook jihad posted:

Uh oh someone called my favorite pastime of sitting in front of a tv for an ungodly amount time pathetic time to get internet mad
im actually drunk and stoned and having an awesome saturday considering it just hit noon, im not mad, sorry i take it back

still nut up and get it done in one sitting

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

burritolingus posted:

Yeah, the whole "I can't believe they expected you to beat this game without the internet" is just dumb angry reviewer crap. I never had a problem with Zelda 2 as a kid, despite how cryptic it is in parts, because I spent time with it, as did my friends, and we swapped secrets until we beat it and moved on.

No, there were a few games pretty much designed solely to sell Nintendo Power subscriptions.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Zelda 2 was the Dark Souls of its time.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

1-800-255-3700, bitches. That was back before it was 99¢/min.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
the only part of zelda 2 that's even remotely complicated is fetch quests like the mirror under the table and bagu in the woods. game's about as good as nes games got

Smellbound posted:

im actually drunk and stoned and having an awesome saturday considering it just hit noon, im not mad, sorry i take it back

still nut up and get it done in one sitting
i played through shovel knight on ps3 a few days ago and that game is v. good for a single sitting playthrough

Phobic Nest
Oct 2, 2013

You Are My Sunshine

quakster posted:

bubble bobble was popular you absolute fucker bitch

sonic is trash. i spit on the hedgehog

Well, if you're not talking chaos emerald kind of fetch quests I suppose ghosts n' goblins did that poo poo first and was way more popular. Both made you play the whole fucker twice and gently caress you if you didn't know what to do at the last boss.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
getting chaos emeralds requires you to play objectively bad minigames. it's basically a retarted hitler made out of poo poo raping you to death repeatedly

Smellbound
Sep 26, 2000

quakster posted:

the only part of zelda 2 that's even remotely complicated is fetch quests like the mirror under the table and bagu in the woods. game's about as good as nes games got

i played through shovel knight on ps3 a few days ago and that game is v. good for a single sitting playthrough
i unironically enjoy playing the the Call of Duty: Modern Warfare games in one go. only one game at a time but the linear nature and save system means its a good game for just plowing through in one shot

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
I had a lot of Nintendo games back in the day but I never beat any of them. Came close in the Kirby one, tho.

Poppyseed Poundcake
Feb 23, 2007
I played through every single level on an emulator. It only took about 4 hours.
I mapped the save state and load state buttons and constantly mashed them when things looked sketchy.
Doing it that way made the game play almost like Braid. It was pretty cool.

Phobic Nest
Oct 2, 2013

You Are My Sunshine

Dr. Eldarion posted:

So I watched that whole thing.

Summarized:

pee speed deek you peace bead peas peed

hands urgh glitch run holy poo poo

pee speed

I learned a lot.

B.H. Facials
May 9, 2011

"Getting teased is part of growing up. It's no big deal. Just tell yourself, 'Sticks and stones may break my bones, but a .44 Magnum will tear that bully a new asshole!'"

Dr. Eldarion posted:

Holy crap, I'd never seen or heard of that level seven red tube trick before that's at the end of the video. :aaaaa:

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

op, people weren't so bothered about finishing games all the way through back in the day, it seems to be a pretty new thing with videogames.

i went through it without warp whistles once it came out on all - stars, before that my neighbour and I used to rinse it with the whistles.

Nefarious
Sep 26, 2000

by XyloJW
nintendo realized their games were so lovely they gave you a way to skip 2/3rds of them

MyronGognitti
Jun 15, 2008

by zen death robot

Dr. Eldarion posted:

In retrospect SMB3 isn't that great looking of an NES game, yet I swear people act like it's the best looking one ever produced.

Like genuine hyperbole like "you could almost mistake it for a SNES game!" yeah, nah.

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

Nefarious posted:

nintendo realized their games were so lovely they gave you a way to skip 2/3rds of them

lol, get out.

Shasta Orange Soda
Apr 25, 2007

opus111 posted:

op, people weren't so bothered about finishing games all the way through back in the day, it seems to be a pretty new thing with videogames.

that wasn't really my experience. i remember trying like hell to beat pitfall for atari. and being super excited about beating contra even with the 30 lives

Nefarious
Sep 26, 2000

by XyloJW

Shasta Orange Soda posted:

that wasn't really my experience. i remember trying like hell to beat pitfall for atari. and being super excited about beating contra even with the 30 lives

ya but autism was more uncommon in your day

Shasta Orange Soda
Apr 25, 2007
nah, just underdiagnosed

B.H. Facials
May 9, 2011

"Getting teased is part of growing up. It's no big deal. Just tell yourself, 'Sticks and stones may break my bones, but a .44 Magnum will tear that bully a new asshole!'"
They only reason I cared about beating games was because my parents wouldn't buy me a new one unless I'd beaten the ones I had. There was nothing worse than spending the greater part of a day to get to the final boss, pausing to go get mom or dad to witness, and then losing. :(

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde
disappointing your parents along two different axes simultaneously, pretty impressive

Nefarious
Sep 26, 2000

by XyloJW

B.H. Facials posted:

They only reason I cared about beating games was because my parents wouldn't buy me a new one unless I'd beaten the ones I had. There was nothing worse than spending the greater part of a day to get to the final boss, pausing to go get mom or dad to witness, and then losing. :(

congrats on your terrible parents

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

B.H. Facials posted:

lmao

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

MyronGognitti posted:

In retrospect SMB3 isn't that great looking of an NES game, yet I swear people act like it's the best looking one ever produced.

Like genuine hyperbole like "you could almost mistake it for a SNES game!" yeah, nah.
people saying its on par with mario world arent complimenting the graphics :psyduck: is this satire of horrible millenial gamers that dont get it

yoloer420
May 19, 2006

MyronGognitti posted:

I'd assume they're comparing it to the all-stars SNES release which had improved graphics.

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Hector Beerlioz posted:

I had a lot of Nintendo games back in the day but I never beat any of them. Came close in the Kirby one, tho.

My two personal never-beats were Battletoads and the original Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

I don't feel like I missed out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
the all-stars release of smb3 ruined the handling
made mario slower to start running and slower to stop running
drat shame

• Locked thread