Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Boner Zone posted:

very cosmopolitan, and 82% white

Actually 72% which is much lower than the rest of the state. Des Moines is a Mecca of good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Battery Joe
Apr 12, 2007
talkin' shit about a pretty sunset
Pittsburgh is legit p good now. Kinda Northeast more than midwest though idk. Probably better than Des Moines. Maybe not as good as minneapolis.

Dead Precedents
May 5, 2005

Precedents come and go, but death goes on forever.

BigBoss posted:

I went to Des Moines once. It wasn't bad. It wasn't great, but it wasn't bad.

Pretty much this. It's probably the best city in the Iowa/Nebraska/Kansas shitbucket zone.

Also, gently caress Nebraska.

Who Is Paul Blart
Oct 22, 2010
Actually Austin is

Boner Zone
Jan 14, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo

Jastiger posted:

Actually 72% which is much lower than the rest of the state. Des Moines is a Mecca of good.

lmao

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Giblet Plus! posted:

agreed twin cities are the best cities

They said Minneapolis, not twin cities, nub.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Battery Joe posted:

Pittsburgh is legit p good now. Kinda Northeast more than midwest though idk. Probably better than Des Moines. Maybe not as good as minneapolis.

Lol Pittsburgh. Enjoy your 1920s era house burning down due to lovely fire codes and poor maintenance. Oh? All the jobs are blue collar that pay like $20K max? Pfffft.

Actually Pitt probably isn't that bad, but its a lot harder to get ahead there than in Glorious Des Moines.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
St Paul is like De Moines boring, it kind of sucks. Okay for a suburb tho.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Bip Roberts posted:

They said Minneapolis, not twin cities, nub.

yeah st paul sucks

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
It takes two cities in MN to equal Des Moines, and Des Moines still comes out on top.

Not saying Minneapolis is bad, it isn't. Its probably the second best city in the midwest AFTER Des Moines.

Battery Joe
Apr 12, 2007
talkin' shit about a pretty sunset

Jastiger posted:

Lol Pittsburgh. Enjoy your 1920s era house burning down due to lovely fire codes and poor maintenance. Oh? All the jobs are blue collar that pay like $20K max? Pfffft.

Actually Pitt probably isn't that bad, but its a lot harder to get ahead there than in Glorious Des Moines.

You are absolutely right about the houses. Houses burn down like every week in my neighborhood/surrounding neighborhoods. I think we have a lot of Arson also, though.

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001

bradzilla posted:

yeah I definitely wanna move to a place that's going to be flooded in 20 years

I too believe you should spend your youth in a meth soaked cultureless wasteland based off of the effects of climate change decades in the future

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Concerned Citizen posted:

des moines is a pretty nice place to live, and zombie burger does own. that's all you can really say about it. imo iowa city is superior though

erosion
Dec 21, 2002

It's true and I'm tired of pretending it isn't
gently caress YOU OP, Iowa City is the best... Iowa... City.

Most arsons per capita. Pretty soon, anyway. :cawg:

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Des Moines has like +50 against flooding. It doesn't happen here.

Ames and Iowa City and Cedar Rapids on the other hand....

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
Waterloo is better than Des Moines

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW
The restaurant pride of Des Moines is a gimmick hamburger shack, a regular hamburger shack, a gimmick pizzeria, and a Thai place whose website doesn't work.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
all good thai places have no website

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
i went to zombie burger and got the "coming to get you barbara," which is described as thus:

quote:

‘two grilled-cheese-sandwich’ bun, American cheese,
caramelized onion, bacon, Zombie sauce

i wasn't sure what "two grilled-cheese-sandwich bun" was, i assumed it was like maybe a different kind of bread and some extra cheese. nope, it's literally two grilled cheese sandwiches used as buns. it was really good and probably took at least a year off of my life. 5/5 would recommend

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman
Minneapolis has buildings that look like boobs, but you can't see them from the highway because you're dodging other cars since drivers licenses are handed out when they find you in the dumpster as a baby after prom.

Ames sucks because it wants to have a real school soooo bad in the middle of a bunch of lovely redneck oasis'. Also the teens there drive to Minneapolis in their camoflage tux'/gowns for their prom.

Minneapolis blows.
Austin is in Texas so thats like 10 strikes against it right there.
Nebraska is literally hell.
Kansas and Oklahoma have justly incurred a diety's wrath for incestuous retards breeding and are nearly wiped from the map twice a year.
You can pronounce "Missourri" as "misery" and not be wrong.

Fun Iowa fact:
The Governor of Iowa's son killed people driving drunk as a teen and was pardoned before the next morning. He felt really bad about it so it's totally okay.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I fixed the Thai restaurant website.

Its true about the Governor. He's done some shady rear end poo poo. As far as Republicans go, he's not that bad, but he's still a shitlord when it comes to stuff like that.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Hobohemian posted:

The restaurant pride of Des Moines is a gimmick hamburger shack, a regular hamburger shack, a gimmick pizzeria, and a Thai place whose website doesn't work.

There are also French, Spanish, and Bosnian restaurants here that kick total rear end. Good steak houses and the Iowa Machine Shed for some good ol' hometown eatin'.

Go back to your McDonalds, scrub.

GAYS FOR DAYS
Dec 22, 2005

by exmarx

Origin posted:

As a Midwestern city, you have failed to comment on how good is the hotdish? Well, how good is it?

It's called a casserole you loving heathen gently caress

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

As someone who grew up in Des Moines, it's actually total trash compared to both Minneapolis/St. Paul and Chicago.

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.
I'm moving to Des Moines next year so I went up recently to make sure the place was okay & I wasn't going to want to kill myself when I got there and it was a totally acceptable, typical midwestern city & I think I will be perfectly happy living there, hopefully, I guess, I don't know. I did find it weird how genuinely nice everyone seemed and also how people living in Des Moines all seem really into living in Des Moines. A friend took me into a shop that was basically a tourist shop full of Des Moines stuff for people who live in Des Moines. A few times I got the feeling that Des Moines might actually be an elaborate multi-level marketing scam that I was getting the hard sell on.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
The Iowa legislature is pushing a bill to force women to view their baby's ultrasound prior to an abortion, while the school funding bill languishes. Oh and their working to make fireworks legal. Whoop

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

Hobohemian posted:

Des Moines lol

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

of course midwest people would appropriate other cultures since their culture is pretty boring

TheJoker138 posted:

As someone who grew up in Des Moines, it's actually total trash compared to both Minneapolis/St. Paul and Chicago.

doesn't even have a subway/light rail system like a real city

maduin
Mar 4, 2003
Iowa has the most culture in the entire United States.

UNESCO's City of Literature:
====================================
Edinburgh, Scotland (2004)
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia (2008)
Iowa City, Iowa, United States (2008)
Dublin, Ireland (2010)
Reykjavík, Iceland (2011)[3]
Norwich, England (2012)
Kraków, Poland (2013)
Heidelberg, Germany (2014)
Dunedin, New Zealand (2014) [4]
Granada, Spain (2014)
Prague, Czech Republic (2014)

If you don't live in Iowa, you are of no literary significance. Enjoy never winning a Pulitzer Prize after graduating from Cornell, you east coast slobs. As we all know, Robert Wilson first performed Deafman Glance in Iowa City, you might as well watch your lame off-broadway uncouth performances of bourgeois tools of hegemony while feeding from the breast of the spectacle.

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax
I live in DSM and it sucks and is bad. Take that OP.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
i used to think fireworks should be legal, until i was in providence for the 4th of july and the entire city was covered in a thick layer of smoke. then i decided fireworks are bad and no one should have them

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.
I live in the south where the 2 weeks before & after the 4th of July all your neighbors are just straight up shooting mini-nukes in the street from dusk to dawn.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Trixie Hardcore posted:

I'm moving to Des Moines next year so I went up recently to make sure the place was okay & I wasn't going to want to kill myself when I got there and it was a totally acceptable, typical midwestern city & I think I will be perfectly happy living there, hopefully, I guess, I don't know. I did find it weird how genuinely nice everyone seemed and also how people living in Des Moines all seem really into living in Des Moines. A friend took me into a shop that was basically a tourist shop full of Des Moines stuff for people who live in Des Moines. A few times I got the feeling that Des Moines might actually be an elaborate multi-level marketing scam that I was getting the hard sell on.

You're going to love it. Its safe, and chill, and you don't have to worry about any of the bullshit that comes from those other huge cities. There is plenty to do and you can do it on the cheap.

Darth123123 posted:

The Iowa legislature is pushing a bill to force women to view their baby's ultrasound prior to an abortion, while the school funding bill languishes. Oh and their working to make fireworks legal. Whoop

This is actually true. Des Moines, Cedar Rapids, and Iowa City are literally the only things keeping the legislation from becoming more South-like its kinda scary. The good news is the next elections are during a presidential election year so we'll probably see some good progress in that congressional make up.

Concerned Citizen posted:

i used to think fireworks should be legal, until i was in providence for the 4th of july and the entire city was covered in a thick layer of smoke. then i decided fireworks are bad and no one should have them

gently caress fireworks. I went to Kansas to see my in laws and they dropped like $300 on fireworks one year for the 4th. I mean yay fun, but god drat, you'd get more use out of like a pS4 or an amusement park or some thing that literally doesn't explode when used properly. And they are dangerous as hell and I KNOW I'm gonna have to clean that poo poo up off my lawn this year. drat kids.

coldplay chiptunes posted:

I live in DSM and it sucks and is bad. Take that OP.

Proof. My mastercraft OP debunks this post before it happens.

That place is fun as hell. They have mixed drinks bigger than your head for cheap.

Idiot Kicker
Jun 13, 2007
des moines, washington is probably better
also thanks for steve king jerks

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

Trixie Hardcore posted:

i laughed at that and then i remembered that i live in alabama, and we have fucktons of stores dedicated to selling auburn or alabama gear

also i remembered that i live in alabama and gently caress alabama

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Warning: minority spotted second row, third over. Multi culture enforced.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
People who convince themselves that Austin is actually good are hilarious. I'd rather take my chances living homeless, naked and armed only with a knife in the hill country than live in Austin lol

President Kucinich
Feb 21, 2003

Bitterly Clinging to my AK47 and Das Kapital

Go tend to your crops before they whither, loser.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Shinjobi posted:

People who convince themselves that Austin is actually good are hilarious. I'd rather take my chances living homeless, naked and armed only with a knife in the hill country than live in Austin lol

LA traffic, Alabama weather, San Fransisco homeless, and Brooklyn hipsters. It's like the best from around the country scrunched into the heart of Texas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

limeincoke
Jul 3, 2005

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
Yo I teach in Waukee (a suburb of Des Moines) and literally every classroom, in every school, has like 3 Indian kids. Like I don't know what the demographics say, but apparently the Des Moines suburbs are a hotspot for Indian immigrants. Maybe someone hung fliers up in india? I dunno.

• Locked thread