Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

76% white, 2013 population estimate 207,510. Sure op, sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Mange Mite posted:

This is just sad

Jastiger posted:

Des Moines consistently tops charts on desirability!

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
I guess if I was white and boring I would be desirous of living in a really white boring place

I'm not even joking, id be down for moving to a sleepy ethnic enclave where I never have to see another white person

Nefarious
Sep 26, 2000

by XyloJW
i love that southerners think we'd all be racist if we just had more darn blacks in our states

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
Have you tried Columbus OH? Its like a bigger version of the concept. Boring rear end city surrounded by endless farm fields.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Nuclearmonkee posted:

76% white, 2013 population estimate 207,510. Sure op, sure.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

http://www.downtowndesmoines.com/events/4249?event_date_id=8400

This Japanese action comic punk band sounds cool and good

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax

Nefarious posted:

i love that southerners think we'd all be racist if we just had more darn blacks in our states

Boner Zone
Jan 14, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo

Nefarious posted:

since all the really white states still manage to be racist as hell without any blacks around i'm pretty sure southerners just understand you'd somehow become even worse if you actually had to encounter a black

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

lol

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Except again, Columbus is huge and dirty.

It's telling that the biggest criticism from goons is that Des Moines just isn't sprawling and big enough. That's what makes Des Moines better...it's not huge and nasty.

It's chill, stable, safe, clean, fun, and yeah, cosmopolitan for a Midwest city.

Also confederate apologists need to calm down itt. Des moines and Iowa at large is nothing like your bullshit South.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Nefarious posted:

It's too drat cold up here
http://www.censusscope.org/us/map_nhblack.html

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

lol

http://www.nationaljournal.com/next-america/population-2043/do-the-most-hipster-thing-possible-move-to-des-moines-20141016

Nefarious
Sep 26, 2000

by XyloJW

Boner Zone posted:

since all the really white states still manage to be racist as hell without any blacks around i'm pretty sure southerners just understand you'd somehow become even worse if you actually had to encounter a black

southern education claims another feeble mind :(

Boner Zone
Jan 14, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
http://www.censusscope.org/us/rank_dissimilarity_white_black.html

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax
I legit can't interpret this at all. A place with 1% black population has an index of 65 and a place with 25% black population has an index of 88 it doesn't make any sense I don't get it.

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~
i ate at george chili king once

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax
Seriously what does this mean I don't understand at all.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Jastiger posted:

Except again, Columbus is huge and dirty.

It's telling that the biggest criticism from goons is that Des Moines just isn't sprawling and big enough. That's what makes Des Moines better...it's not huge and nasty.

It's chill, stable, safe, clean, fun, and yeah, cosmopolitan for a Midwest city.

Also confederate apologists need to calm down itt. Des moines and Iowa at large is nothing like your bullshit South.

King poo poo of turd hill right there.

Boner Zone
Jan 14, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo

coldplay chiptunes posted:

I legit can't interpret this at all. A place with 1% black population has an index of 65 and a place with 25% black population has an index of 88 it doesn't make any sense I don't get it.

idk it's pretty simple the city with the lower index is more racially integrated geographically with its 1% black population than the city with 25% blacks is with their black population

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Index_of_dissimilarity

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
cosmopolitan for a midwest city i.e. we got a thai restaurant in the strip mall

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

comes along bort posted:

Lol sorry your experience with cities is literally urban blight.jpg

I don't get the charts either. Lots of back bending and double speak trying to tear des moines down. You got nothing, des moines is the best Midwestern city.

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH

comes along bort posted:

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

comes along bort posted:

Boner Zone
Jan 14, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo

Jastiger posted:

Lol sorry your experience with cities is literally urban blight.jpg

I don't get the charts either. Lots of back bending and double speak trying to tear des moines down. You got nothing, des moines is the best Midwestern city.

lol it's a measure of racial segregation, you should be able to figure that out just from looking at a list of cities with detroit and milwaukee at the top

you should be happy, it says your precious city is less racially segregated than some, although still more segregated than say jacksonville, fl

so basically

Bro Dad posted:

Des Moines: The Jacksonville of the Midwest

might be giving des moines too much credit

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack
lol at "restaurants & bars" being "stuff to do"

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

OMGVBFLOL posted:

lol at "restaurants & bars" being "stuff to do"

Of course the drinks are strong and cheap similar to Wisconsin since it's the only way to make living in Des Moines bearable.

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman

pixelbaron posted:

i ate at george chili king once

You poor bastard.

Tbh, there is a plague of hipsters downtown (thanks in no small part to places like the "Social Club")... to the extent that developers are booting actual small businesses to make yet another loft complex from pre-1940's buildings.

Fortunately, like all hipsters, they are easily scared off by pressed suits, hygene, and the opposite sex.

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax

armchairyoda posted:

You poor bastard.

Tbh, there is a plague of hipsters downtown (thanks in no small part to places like the "Social Club")... to the extent that developers are booting actual small businesses to make yet another loft complex from pre-1940's buildings.

Fortunately, like all hipsters, they are easily scared off by pressed suits, hygene, and the opposite sex.
I live in a loft downtown. Owned bitch.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack
if you complain about "hipsters" "downtown" you are not the sort of person whose opinion on urban culture I'm likely to find relevant

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman

OMGVBFLOL posted:

if you complain about "hipsters" "downtown" you are not the sort of person whose opinion on urban culture I'm likely to find relevant

:allears:

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

armchairyoda posted:

You poor bastard.

Yeah wtf is this poo poo. I helped them move from the old social club (which is now the ridiculously good restaurant Americana, right around the corner from where I work and am sitting now), to the new place and the DSM Social Club is actually a pretty good cultural boon. A nice coffee bar, a few stages for local talent, an over priced but eclectic restaurant, and I would say most importantly, they stopped a staple old fire department from becoming urban blight and turned it into a good and fun place. SO gently caress you, that place is p cool and the people that run it are p cool, even if you don't like Hipsters.

Also, sorry you don't like cities that care about developing their downtowns. Perhaps you'd be more at home in Detroit or Philadelphia?

Yeah Lol look at all these great stable employers hiring young professionals lol. No where near as good as the jobs at Starbucks in etalians town.

Should make you Toxx, you should have to visit Des Moines and go do poo poo and then talk your bullshit up in this hur thread.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Jastiger posted:

Iowa legalized same sex marriage before most other states and it was largely because of the push in cities like Des Moines and Iowa City.

The judges who gave a pro-same sex marriage ruling got recalled:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/04/us/politics/04judges.html

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax

etalian posted:

And yet, it's still legal. Wow.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

etalian posted:

Also you should have been here to see how much Not-Iowa money was put into the campaigns to unseat them.

A swing and a miss for Etalian. Don't worry buddy, one day you'll make it!

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

tsa posted:

from the looks of it, to avoid ever seeing a black person? then again iowa is really white too, maybe it's the cheese

if this is your bag then madison is your place. very few minorities, even given the university, and good physical/economic segregation.

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax
You can make fun of Iowa all you want for it being white bread and boring and faux-cultural but if you wanna try and argue that they aren't extremely socially progressive you're just a dumb idiot who doesn't know anything.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

idk dude i just feel like theres probably someone better to listen to on the matter than someone who sounds like a white noise reddit post

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

coldplay chiptunes posted:

You can make fun of Iowa all you want for it being white bread and boring and faux-cultural but if you wanna try and argue that they aren't extremely socially progressive you're just a dumb idiot who doesn't know anything.

I see your point, but remember we're talking Des Moines, not Iowa. Everything west of about 20 miles west of Des Moines IS pretty much a wasteland. Same can be said for the South Eastern portion of the state too. Basically if it was just from 30 miles west of Des Moines, 60 Miles South, and everything from there NOrth and East, it'd be pretty much the Best State.

As it is, we'll have to stick with Des Moines ITT.

• Locked thread