Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
You are a member of the Twisting Council, governing body to the True Empire of Lomos. The Twisting Council is named as such for its unique organizational structure, not dissimilar to a tree.

The trunk is the Foundation; they are responsible for overseeing all other bodies of governance in Lomos, passing and enforcing meta-level laws to govern governance. As a rule, the members have no direct control over laws which directly impact the empire.
The roots are the the True Pacts; they perform all necessary functions of enacting law, including spending funding and hiring empire workers. True Pacts are heavily regulate by the Foundation; any given individual can only be the member of one True Pact.
The branches are the Peoples' Halls. Each Hall is temporary, lasting anywhere from weeks to years. Each Hall must be approved by the Foundation by petition and create and debate new law to be enacted by the True Pacts. Their scopes are limited and must have a stated goal at creation. True Pacts can reject laws created by Halls, but only with the approval of the Foundation. Anyone, even members of True Pacts, can be members of as many Halls as desired.

The following is a comprehensive list of all True Pacts and their responsibilities:
  • Economic Pact: Set and collect taxes; manage, record, and report Empire finances; pass budgets for all other True Pacts.
  • Military Pact: Recruit and train Empire warriors; develop and enact military strategy; produce or purchase army weaponry.
  • Diplomatic Pact: Maintain constant communication with foreign powers; negotiate alliances and cooperation; declare war.
  • Research Pact: Develop new technology and magic; investigate unknown phenomenons; manage all Empire public schools and libraries.
  • Correctional Pact: Prevent law breaking by citizens of the Empire; mobilize small forces for internal issues; correct or remove internal threats.
  • Spiritual Pact: Oversee empire religious operations; maintain physical and spiritual health of citizens; provide assistance to needy.
  • Logistics Pact: Ensure sufficient agricultural production; manage long distance communications and transportation; regulate immigration and trade.

There is no comprehensive list of Peoples' Halls, as they are far more flexible and numerous, subject to creation or destruction at will.

How this game will play: I, Jon Joe, will represent the entire Foundation, though I may later bring in other members if this game becomes too large. You, a player in the CYOA, may join one Pact. I will keep a list of all Pact members in the second thread post, along with discretionary funds. If there is a decision to be made, I will assign it to one or more Pact (yes, Pacts sometimes work together). Members of those Pacts have 5 votes. Members not of those Pacts are still represented through peer pressure and have 1 vote. Pacts need simple majority on any action to take action, plus at least two different voters. Pacts may also take autonomous action, without my prompt, with the same voting rules. Voting must last a minimum of 48 hours. All votes for Pact actions must have, in the post, the following code: EMDRCSL0000, where the letters correspond to the Pacts involved of which members get 5 votes and the numbers represent a code for that action in that combination of Pacts, in numeric order. Example: E0001 is for Economic Pact, the first action. E0002 is for Economic Pact, the second action. EM0001 is for Economic and Military Pact, the first action. If your vote does not include this unique identifier, it will not be counted! Actions to take must include how many discretionary funds to spend on the action, with more money generally resulting in better results, though not always.

If you wish to create a new Peoples' Hall, assume you automatically have my approval unless I indicate otherwise. Peoples' Halls do not make decisions in this game directly, but do pass laws which may influence decisions that can and can't be made in the future. To start a new Peoples' Hall, use the following form:
Name: Name of Hall
Goal: Goal of Hall
Laws: Laws the Hall are voting on at the start, not required; a Peoples' Hall can be merely for discussion until a Law is proposed. Votes must last a minimum of 48 hours, require 2/3rds majority to pass, and must have at least 3 votes total.
Peoples' Halls do not strictly have members, anyone can vote with equal weight. To lessen the burden on me, everyone in this thread is collectively responsible for counting votes in People's Halls to see if laws are passed, then ensuring that Pacts follow these laws in their actions. The only time I would get involved is if a Pact is ignoring a law despite reminders, if a Pact is requesting rejection of law created, or if laws are created which make the game unfun or impossible to play.

The First Events
E0001: Set taxes.
Description: Current tax amounts are minimal and insufficient to cover the Empire's spending. High level of taxes, or particularly unfair taxes, may cause problems. The following are the taxes to be discussed:
  • Business tax: Profit earned by officially registered traders and producers. Currently 2% for low income, 0.5% for high income.
  • Income tax: Lomosians earned by employed individuals, excepting farmers and mercenaries. Currently 10% for low income, 15% for high income.
  • Treasure tax: Money or highly valuable goods discovered within Lomos. Currently 30%.
  • Mercenary tax: Lomosians earned by mercenaries. Currently 5%.
  • Farmer tax: Lomosians earned by farmers. Currently 0%.
  • Local tax: Lomosians earned by local governments. Currently -10% (yes, negative).
  • Other taxes: New taxes may be proposed within this event.

M0001: Train army.
Description: The average training level of the military is very low, closer to a militia than an army. Consider spending some money and organizing training; if you were at war, you would have already lost.

DL0001: Resolve territory dispute.
Description: One of your neighbors, the Republic of Charome, has sent you documents detailing their historic claim to a couple hundred square miles of land known as the Witherwoods. The Witherwoods is not highly desirable in terms of agriculture, as evident by its name, but makes an excellent shortcut for traveling merchants. Charome has far more restrictive travel laws than Lomos, effectively cutting off the shortcut if you cede control.

RCS0001: Determine Prisoners' Fate.
Description: A small gang of magic using bandits was recently brought to justice. The living members number 22, with a clearly powerful and intelligent magus leader. The Research Pact generally wish to employ and study the magus and his men, though with debate about level of internal power, as their methods of magic are unknown. The Spiritual Pact disagrees, having aided hundreds of victims and their families who were impacted by the bandits; they are calling for revenge in the form of banishment or, preferably, execution. Members of the Correctional Pact are divided.

Emmideer fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Apr 26, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Past and Current Pact Events & Actions: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1gsB0FD7XXjiWWsO_HBhYQWZbxTUNgPbL1XUMukBWNF0/edit?usp=sharing

Economic Pact: Set and collect taxes; manage, record, and report Empire finances; pass budgets for all other True Pacts.
Discretionary Funds: 500,000 Lomosians
Members: Captain Bravo

Military Pact: Recruit and train Empire warriors; develop and enact military strategy; produce or purchase army weaponry.
Discretionary Funds: 750,000 Lomosians
Members: Puppies are dicks

Diplomatic Pact: Maintain constant communication with foreign powers; negotiate alliances and cooperation; declare war.
Remaining Discretionary Funds: 100,000 Lomosians
Members: DivineCoffeeBinge

Research Pact: Develop new technology and magic; investigate unknown phenomenons; manage all Empire public schools and libraries.
Remaining Discretionary Funds: 50,000 Lomosians
Members: goodness

Correctional Pact: Prevent law breaking by citizens of the Empire; mobilize small forces for internal issues; correct or remove internal threats.
Remaining Discretionary Funds: 150,000 Lomosians
Members: EccoRaven

Spiritual Pact: Oversee Empire religious operations; maintain physical and spiritual health of citizens; provide assistance to needy.
Remaining Discretionary Funds: 200,000 Lomosians
Members: TheNabster, Josef bugman

Logistics Pact: Ensure sufficient agricultural production; manage long distance communications and transportation; regulate immigration and trade.
Remaining Discretionary Funds: 1,000,000 Lomosians
Members: BetterWeirdthanDead

Emmideer fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Apr 26, 2015

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Some details:

Current yearly tax income after all necessary expenses for the Empire is 7,500,000 Lomosians.
It is automatically distributed as follows for discretionary funds (these distributions can be changed by the Economic Pact):
10% Economic Pact (750,000)
20% Military Pact (1,500,000)
4% Diplomatic Pact (300,000)
1% Research Pact (75,000)
5% Correctional Pact (375,000)
10% Spiritual Pact (750,000)
50% Logistics Pact (3,750,000)

The Spiritual Pact receives an additional 250,000 Lomosians in donations per year. Every year in game will be roughly 7 days IRL, give or take 2 days.

Reference: 1 Lomosian would buy a week of room and board at a modest inn, enough grain to feed 100 chickens for a day, or 2 of those previously mentioned chickens. 10 Lomosian would equip 1 soldier with an average iron sword and leather armor. 100 Lomosian would get you a cart filled to the brim with kegs of fine wine, and the horse pulling it.

Note: At the start of a new year, I will indicate program costs of all pacts, which will reduce from discretionary funds

Emmideer fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Apr 26, 2015

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
Reserved

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

WHY YOU GOTTA BREAK A BROS HEART
So to participate we declare what Pact we are and then our vote for the current set of laws on the docket? And thereafter come up with our own Halls/laws as appropriate?

For now, register me for the Military Pact please.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Puppies are dicks posted:

So to participate we declare what Pact we are and then our vote for the current set of laws on the docket? And thereafter come up with our own Halls/laws as appropriate?

For now, register me for the Military Pact please.

Correct, sort of. You're voting on actions for Pacts, laws in Halls. Remember, you may also vote on actions from Pacts you are not part of, your vote just counts for 1/5th the standard member value. And, of course, roleplay governing as you please. :)

Emmideer fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Apr 25, 2015

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
Sign me up for the Research Pact

Still a little confused though. So the Pacts make over arching rules while the Halls do smaller stuff like "No eating chicken on Saturday?". What will the format for Hall votes be?

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

goodness posted:

Sign me up for the Research Pact

Still a little confused though. So the Pacts make over arching rules while the Halls do smaller stuff like "No eating chicken on Saturday?". What will the format for Hall votes be?

Pacts do not make rules, they act. They are action takers, directly influencing things. Halls make laws for the people and Pacts are called upon to enact them. So a Hall could make the law "No eating chicken on Saturday" and the Correctional Pact would need to spend funds to enforce it, maybe creating a Chicken Eating Division using a few thousand Lomosians. Hall votes have no formal format, whatever you all most comfortable with. I suppose the creator of the hall would determine the format they are most comfortable with. After all, you all are the ones that handle counting Hall votes and making sure the laws are actually acted on by Pacts. I am the one who counts the votes from and resolves the actions of Pacts. Does that make sense?

Also, feel free start voting on the Pact actions if you've already joined one. I'll make this first round of votes a little longer than 48 hours to compensate for people finding this thread and signing up, probably around 72 to 96 hours.

Emmideer fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Apr 25, 2015

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

jon joe posted:

Pacts do not make rules, they act. They are action takers, directly influencing things. Halls make laws for the people and Pacts are called upon to enact them. So a Hall could make the law "No eating chicken on Saturday" and the Correctional Pact would need to spend funds to enforce it, maybe creating a Chicken Eating Division using a few thousand Lamosians. Hall votes have no formal format, whatever you all most comfortable with. I suppose the creator of the hall would determine the format they are most comfortable with. After all, you all are the ones that handle counting Hall votes and making sure the laws are actually acted on by Pacts. I am the one who counts the votes from and resolves the actions of Pacts. Does that make sense?

Ah, that helps a bit.

So this law E0001: Set taxes was made by a Hall. And now the Pacts will vote on how to actually enact the law.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

goodness posted:

Ah, that helps a bit.

So this law E0001: Set taxes was made by a Hall. And now the Pacts will vote on how to actually enact the law.

Correct. Some events will also automatically trigger actions without going through a hall, like RCS0001, because they are special events.

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

"Today I will cause problems on purpose"
Tough choices, but I decided to go with the Spiritual Pact

Edit: is it possible to change later?

TheNabster fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Apr 25, 2015

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

TheNabster posted:

Tough choices, but I decided to go with the Spiritual Pact

Edit: is it possible to change later?

Possibly, that would be something to ask me, the Foundation, at the time you wish to change. It will naturally entail some voting restrictions during transition.

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

First Lomosian Peoples' Hall EMDLRS0001
Puppies are dicks: First Minister of the Military Pact

Honored colleagues, esteemed guests, as a member of the Military Pact I have the following suggestions to the laws currently proposed by this Hall. To begin with I must open with a pronouncement which many of you are already familiar with but may not wish to acknowledge. The state of Empire's military is laughable and pathetic. At present we are completely unable to repel an organized attack from an enemy nation, and in fact as the recent magic bandit campaign has shown mounting resistance against a small number of moderately skilled non-military combatants is difficult.

As tensions with Charome rise over their territorial claim to the Witherwoods, it is absolutely necessary that we increase military spending, recruitment, and training. Assuming sufficient materiel and men can be procured, I propose we establish two separate organizations within the military; the Lomosian Home Guard and the Lomosian Foreign Legion. Limited tax increases, and the institution of a Lomosian Highway Travel tax, in addition the operations of the Lomosian Foreign Legion in seeking mercenary work abroad will hopefully offset these costs.

With regards to the territory dispute I hope that our learned friends among the Diplomatic Pact are able to reach an equitable solution with Charome, possibly based on tax-sharing and limited acceptance of their travel restrictions through our territory.

With regards to the magic bandits I propose this body enact Mandatory Military Conscription for criminals convicted of major crimes. A compromise between the Spiritual, Correctional, and Military Pacts to punish grievous offenders by forcing them to fight abroad in the name of a greater Lomos in the Lomosian Foreign Legion would be most satisfactory to the Military Pact. Criminals already marked for death or research may be exempt for those purposes as the relevant Pacts decree.

For the greater good and safety of Lomos, I hope that my suggestions meet the approval of this august body. I cede the floor to whoever chooses to speak next.

Description: Current tax amounts are minimal and insufficient to cover the Empire's spending. High level of taxes, or particularly unfair taxes, may cause problems. The following are the taxes to be discussed:
Business tax: Profit earned by officially registered traders and producers. Currently 2% for low income, 0.5% for high income.
Income tax: Lomosians earned by employed individuals, excepting farmers and mercenaries. Currently 10% for low income, 15% for high income.
Treasure tax: Money or highly valuable goods discovered within Lomos. Currently 30%.
Mercenary tax: Lomosians earned by mercenaries. Currently 5%.
Farmer tax: Lomosians earned by farmers. Currently 0%. Increase 5%
Local tax: Lomosians earned by local governments. Currently -10% (yes, negative). Increase to +10%, cease local subsidies and encourage local officials to crack down on graft and losses thereof and deploy Lomosian Home Guard to support local authority where relevant.
Other taxes: Institute Highway Travel tax of 5 Lamosian L$ per cart, or 1 Lamosian L$ per traveler through Lamosian national highway system for purposes of upkeep and safety. See also DL0001 for further details

Description: The average training level of the military is very low, closer to a militia than an army. Consider spending some money and organizing training; if you were at war, you would have already lost.

Fund training and equipment for Lomosian military L$600,000. Create military hierarchy of two major forces, Lomosian Home Guard, Lomosian Foreign Legion. Budget is to be divided evenly, equipment and supplies are to be purchased through contract bids from Lomosian suppliers where applicable. All Lomosian military members are required to serve equal parts of military service in both Home Guard/Foreign Legion over the course of their enlistment.

Deploy Lomosian Foreign Legion abroad in search of mercenary contracts in order to procure both practical war-fighting experience and funding for operations. Priority for contracts is to be placed on safety of forces where possible.

Deploy Lomosian Home Guard internally to secure national borders, locate and exterminate bandits, and train with local forces and terrain for purposes of national defense.

edit: match the expenditures of the Research and Spiritual Pacts to fund and train military chaplain, Military/Research brigades

Description: One of your neighbors, the Republic of Charome, has sent you documents detailing their historic claim to a couple hundred square miles of land known as the Witherwoods. The Witherwoods is not highly desirable in terms of agriculture, as evident by its name, but makes an excellent shortcut for traveling merchants. Charome has far more restrictive travel laws than Lomos, effectively cutting off the shortcut if you cede control.

Diplomatic offer: Agree to limited Charome travel restrictions and 30% of all income from E0001 Travel Tax and assistance in patrol by Lamosian Home Guard.

Description: A small gang of magic using bandits was recently brought to justice. The living members number 22, with a clearly powerful and intelligent magus leader. The Research Pact generally wish to employ and study the magus and his men, though with debate about level of internal power, as their methods of magic are unknown. The Spiritual Pact disagrees, having aided hundreds of victims and their families who were impacted by the bandits; they are calling for revenge in the form of banishment or, preferably, execution. Members of the Correctional Pact are divided.

Mandatory forced conscription of magic bandits, for service in Lomosian Foreign Legion. Term of service is 35 years for crimes against the Lomosian people to be commuted for meritorious service. Doesn't have to be all the bandits, just the least guilty ones or ones with useful skills. Torture, research, punish the rest. I don't care.

Puppies are dicks fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Apr 26, 2015

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Great first post, Puppies! Just wanted to note that naming the funds Lamosians was a typo on my part, they were supposed to be named Lomosians. I've since corrected it.

edit: re: "Mandatory Military Conscription for criminals convicted of major crimes" would require a Hall vote of 2/3rds, being a law and not just a procedure, but only in the event of blanket application. If it is only for the 22 magical bandits captured, it fits within the realm of procedure alone.

Emmideer fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Apr 25, 2015

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

Grand Maguy of the Research Pact

Though your goals are admirable Councilor, your seeming fear of the magic of this world betrays you. Enslavement of its users will only cause a migration of them to surrounding areas, states that will use their magic to grow stronger and exert dominance.

With the forseeable conflict we may have with one of these neighbors, Charome, it is of even more importance that we do what we can to show these bandits how much they could gain from working with my colleagues. No longer would they have to roam the land feeling as lower class citizens, for they are not!

Under the proposal of RCS0001, I propose a training program and grounds to provide a home to our lost brothers and sisters of magic. Give them a stable environment to not only learn to control their power but also contribute to our empire. I will oversee the program personally to get it off its feet and in good standing. We can have a small guard from the military stationed there as assurance against either the magic causing trouble or the civilians taking revenge out of fear.

Business tax: Profit earned by officially registered traders and producers. Currently 2% for low income, 0.5% for high income. Raise low to 3%, high to 1.5% in order to fund protecting the routes that these traders use
Local tax: Lomosians earned by local governments. Currently -10% (yes, negative). Increase to +10%, cease local subsidies and encourage local officials to crack down on graft and losses thereof and deploy Lomosian Home Guard to support local authority where relevant.
Other taxes: New taxes may be proposed within this event. Institute Highway Travel tax of 5 Lamosian L$ per cart, or 1 Lamosian L$ per traveler through Lamosian national highway system for purposes of upkeep and safety.

I agree with the aforementioned changes by Puppies with a slight modification. In connection with the Training Camp for Magicians, a small portion of the military budget should be assigned to the camp to promote research that can help the military.

If we agree to ceding the route to them, we should not also be giving them 30%. They should be giving us a %

Form Magical Training Camp to provide home for wandering magicians, research new powers/tech for our military and people, and train an elite unit to help directly eventually

goodness fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Apr 26, 2015

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Just to note in this post as well, but "Mandatory Military Conscription for criminals convicted of major crimes" would be a law, requiring a Hall to be created an affirmation vote of 2/3rds before it could be applied generally.

Also, to anyone wondering, you can change your vote in the course of debate.

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Sign me up for Logistics.

Might as well pretend I'm putting that degree to use..

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

goodness posted:

I agree with the aforementioned changes by Puppies with a slight modification. In connection with the Training Camp for Magicians, a small portion of the military budget should be assigned to the camp to promote research that can help the military.

If we agree to ceding the route to them, we should not also be giving them 30%. They should be giving us a %

Form Magical Training Camp to provide home for wandering magicians, research new powers/tech for our military and people, and train an elite unit to help directly eventually

I'm willing to allow amendment of M0001 on the condition that we split the funding/staffing of such a division. Cross train where appropriate and split results or profits as they come? It's likely that the Foreign Legion will encounter situations where research staff would be helpful or valuable research material can be better exploited in situ. The military budget will match however much the Research Pact allocates for this division.

With regards to DL0001 I would have to disagree, but reserve judgment for input from anyone from the Diplomatic Pact. From my perspective I feel that an incentive for Charome is necessary, as we do not have the military capability to resist them or defend the Witherwoods at this time. I should clarify though that my proposal does not cede control of the Witherwoods and instead only allows that we will follow a limited version of their travel restrictions and pay them a portion of our Travel tax.

With regards to the magic bandits as this is ultimately a matter within the purview of the Research Pact I maintain my request that a number of the bandits be given to the Lomosian army for military use but have no major objections to however you decide to treat them.

However as this is an issue which may have greater repercussions for our society and the stability of our empire, I propose the creation of a new Peoples' Hall.

quote:

Name: First Hall regarding the treatment of Military prisoners and major criminal offenders
Goal: Enact legislation to determine the fate and treatment of military prisoners and major criminal offenders
Laws:

Proposal: EMDLRS0001

Mandatory forced conscription for criminals convicted of major crimes. Sentence length minimum 35 years, may be commuted for meritorious service. Convicts are thereafter subject to military control and discipline.

If anyone would like to submit alternative proposals or amendments regarding this issue feel free.

Puppies are dicks fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Apr 27, 2015

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

"Today I will cause problems on purpose"
Herein bears the statement of the most Honourable Sir, Pentarch Therius Nabsterian, Grand Patriarch of the Church of Radiant Dawns in the name of Our Martyred Lady
Representative of the Spiritual Pact

Blessed be those who hold the scepter of command for his fellows.

By the appointment of the foundation, and the blessing of OML I have taken my seat on the Spiritual Pact to ensure the spiritual well-being of our empire from today to tomorrow, and every tomorrow there after. As such here are my current inputs on the pressing issues at hand.

Economics are not the concern or place of the church, we will not hold any input

We also see much wisdom in the proposals of Minister Puppies, but wish to add our own input. Strength of arms and strength of faith go hand in hand, therefore we request the appointment of chaplains for each regiment, to assist in the spiritual matters of our soldiers.

Edit: We will commit 40'000 Lomosians to this end, the Military Pact offered to meet our donation to this end.

It is not merely merchants who walk those paths! Our Martyred Lady traversed the Witherwoods to spread the word of the Light , within is the Withered Shrine carved into the trunk of an old oak, a place visited by many pilgrims I worry that to cede control of these roads to our neighbors, that these pilgrims would be turned away or otherwise hindered. If we absolutely must cede these lands, may we request the free passage for those on a religious journey?

There is no creature on the earth more damnable than an evil magic user. And there is no other cure for such creatures than the executioner's sword, to hand-wave the crimes of these men is an insult to justice and the memories of those lost from their transgressions, let their deaths be an example to those who would use their powers for selfish and malicious gains.

TheNabster fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Apr 25, 2015

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

TheNabster posted:

Herein bears the statement of the most Honourable Sir, Pentarch Therius Nabsterian, Grand Patriarch of the Church of Radiant Dawns in the name of Our Martyred Lady

Blessed be those who hold the scepter of command for his fellows.

By the appointment of the foundation, and the blessing of OML I have taken my seat on the Spiritual Pact to ensure the spiritual well-being of our empire from today to tomorrow, and every tomorrow there after. As such here are my current inputs on the pressing issues at hand.

We also see much wisdom in the proposals of Minister Puppies, but wish to add our own input. Strength of arms and strength of faith go hand in hand, therefore we request the appointment of chaplains for each regiment, to assist in the spiritual matters of our soldiers.

In deference to Pentarch Nabsterian's position, I am also willing to accept his amendment to M0001 under the same terms which I have offered the Grand Maguy. The Lomosian military will match any L$ spent by the Spiritual Pact.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Name: First Hall regarding the treatment of Military prisoners and major criminal offenders
Goal: Enact legislation to determine the fate and treatment of military prisoners and major criminal offenders
Laws:

Proposal: MRSC001

Mandatory forced conscription for criminals convicted of major crimes. Sentence to be determined by Corrections, may be commuted for meritorious service.

Perfect example of a Hall and law proposal, though the labeling of the law with MRSC0001 is not strictly required until it is to be taken action upon by (a) Pact(s).

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
Okay sign me up for the Correctional Pact. I am the attorney general *salute*.

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

So then it's just Proposal 0001 until 2/3 of the electorate passes it? And whichever parties enact it then make it MSRC(whatever?)

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
Sign me up for Economic Pact

"Hello, my name is Ron Swanson."

I'm here because the government is a greedy piglet that suckles on a taxpayer's teet until they have sore, chapped nipples. I intend to curtail government waste as effectively as possible. Also I consider all government spending a waste. Whatever your current budget is, it's too high. Slash it, slash it, slash it!

jon joe posted:

The First Events
  • Business tax: Profit earned by officially registered traders and producers. Currently 2% for low income, 0.5% for high income.
  • Income tax: Lomosians earned by employed individuals, excepting farmers and mercenaries. Currently 10% for low income, 15% for high income.
  • Treasure tax: Money or highly valuable goods discovered within Lomos. Currently 30%.
  • Mercenary tax: Lomosians earned by mercenaries. Currently 5%.
  • Farmer tax: Lomosians earned by farmers. Currently 0%.
  • Local tax: Lomosians earned by local governments. Currently -10% (yes, negative).
  • Other taxes: New taxes may be proposed within this event.

E0001: I am appalled by the Business tax. I mean, I'm technically appalled by any tax, but corporate interests have convinced members of our government to slash their taxes and raise them on the small businessowner instead. I urge the correctional pact to root out these corrupt individuals, and until then move that all businesses pay the same tax rate. Income taxes are too high, but we'll worry about that later. The treasure tax is a travesty. Slash that to 15%. Mercenaries sell their loyalty for cash. That is somehow worse than having no loyalty at all. Raise their taxes to 20%, and encourage them to join the military instead. Agriculture subsidies are a waste, start charging the farmers 5%. Good god, we have a negative tax on the government? We pay ourselves our own taxes. That needs to change immediately. Remove that negative, and tax local governments 10%. The weak shall fail, which is a net good in my book.

jon joe posted:

M0001: My idea of a perfect government is one guy who sits in a small room at a desk, and the only thing he’s allowed to decide is who to nuke. We need magical nukes immediately. Also we should encourage mercenaries to enlist. They have combat experience, and can be used to train new troops effectively. Offering them a job where they still get to swing a sword, without the threat of having one swung back at them, should be an easy sell.

jon joe posted:

DL0001: The only thing worse than our government is their government. The Republic of Charome is practically European. Deny their claim.

jon joe posted:

RCS0001: There's no shame in attacking a criminal's bean bag. Allow the victims to decide their fate.

Captain Bravo fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Apr 25, 2015

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
Rebecco of House Raven
Attorney General of the True Empire of Lomos
Chief of the Correctional Pact

I believe in justice above all else. Justice involves fairness, but it also means that those who break the laws of the Empire serve their time and be punished appropriately. A strong empire internally, one where the people respect the rule of law and the Imperial Code, is the best defense to threats outside our land. Filling our armies with brigands and common criminals will not make us stronger, it'll only encourage desertion as the conscripts flee to continue a life of banditry; dissent among the legitimate soldiers and officers, who will find training and monitoring bandits a burden; and give aid and comfort to those who deserve only death, making them stronger and more capable of fighting the Imperial Justice once they have done their service.

The bandit wizards are murderers and thieves. They must be punished by public execution. Giving them any leniency will only encourage dissidents and revolutionaries that we are soft on crime.

RCS0001: Vote to execute all the bandits through hanging.

The Correctional Pact has no other opinions on any of the current votes.

EccoRaven fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Apr 25, 2015

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

So then it's just Proposal 0001 until 2/3 of the electorate passes it? And whichever parties enact it then make it MSRC(whatever?)

Yes

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Economic Pact over here?

Oh, as there is someone already in charge and I may not be as needed, can I go for Spiritual Pact instead?

Josef bugman fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Apr 25, 2015

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

EccoRaven posted:

Rebecco of House Raven
Attorney General of the True Empire of Lomos
Chief of the Correctional Pact

I believe in justice above all else. Justice involves fairness, but it also means that those who break the laws of the Empire serve their time and be punished appropriately. A strong empire internally, one where the people respect the rule of law and the Imperial Code, is the best defense to threats outside our land. Filling our armies with brigands and common criminals will not make us stronger, it'll only encourage desertion as the conscripts flee to continue a life of banditry; dissent among the legitimate soldiers and officers, who will find training and monitoring bandits a burden; and give aid and comfort to those who deserve only death, making them stronger and more capable of fighting the Imperial Justice once they have done their service.

The bandit wizards are murderers and thieves. They must be punished by public execution. Giving them any leniency will only encourage dissidents and revolutionaries that we are soft on crime.

RCS0001: Vote to execute all the bandits through hanging.

The Correctional Pact has no other opinions on any of the current votes.

There may be some confusion regarding the treatment of military conscripts. Life in the military, and particularly as a forced conscript is no easy task. It's everything that a normal soldier has to deal with only without the possibility of voluntary discharge or the standard articles of military enlistment. Forced conscripts perform as a matter of course the most onerous and dangerous tasks, and in the case of desertion face military judgment which has penalties such as long term imprisonment in a military stockade, lashes, or death. Please rest assured that there is no leniency in forcing bandits to serve for the good of the Lomosian military.

In many cases, death may be preferable from the perspective of the forced conscript. Consider their position, forced abroad and into a system where their eating, sleeping, and recreation is strictly regulated by a troop of armed men and thrown repeatedly into life-threatening and dangerous situations on a regular basis. If they desert or are insubordinate lashes, heavy labor, or death with no promise of home or relief. Let these criminals have the chance to pay their debt to society through dangerous and arduous labor. The military will absorb the costs and duties of their keeping so that Corrections and Spiritual Pact can spend their budgets on the safekeeping and moral upkeep of Lomos, and that these criminals will be made to serve. :godwinning:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Penal_military_unit
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shtrafbat

Puppies are dicks fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Apr 25, 2015

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Josef bugman posted:

Economic Pact over here?

Oh, as there is someone already in charge and I may not be as needed, can I go for Spiritual Pact instead?

There is no one "in charge", as many people can join a Pact as they please. Would you like to stay Economic Pact, or shift to Spiritual?

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

jon joe posted:

There is no one "in charge", as many people can join a Pact as they please. Would you like to stay Economic Pact, or shift to Spiritual?

Spiritual please!

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

In many cases, death may be preferable from the perspective of the forced conscript.

Punishment is not about harming the prisoner; it's about exacting justice onto those who violate the Imperial Code. In the Empire we moved away from the more gruesome forms of execution generations ago. We no longer drag murderers through streets behind horses or cut off the fingers of thieves. We all exist in a contract with the Imperial State - we obey the Code and are rewarded with the fruits of order and civility. We break the Code, we are punished fairly and in the aims of justice.

The bandits murdered innocent people. They used magicks to turn women inside-out, and melted the heads of babies. They are monsters. Giving them any form of life is letting justice fail, and as the attorney general, I cannot allow that.

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

As an aside, are the bandits all equally guilty? There's 22 of them surviving and they're all bastards yeah, but are some of them more or less guilty or maybe like really young/newly recruited?

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

As an aside, are the bandits all equally guilty? There's 22 of them surviving and they're all bastards yeah, but are some of them more or less guilty or maybe like really young/newly recruited?

They are all typically older, with only 2 below the Age of Majority (15 in the Empire, at which point one is considered an adult. Average age at death is 45. 99.9% of citizens do not live past 60.) All know magic and are known to have used it in a manner to harm civilians of the Empire.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
All who are complicit in banditry must be punished.

I know, minister, that you hope to recruit the bandits into the military because of our weak defense forces. But this is not the way to do it. It would do more harm than good to put convicts and brigands into our armies. It would be far better to let justice be done to those who deserve it, and let our armies be made stronger by free citizens of good will.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
Sign me up for the Diplomatic Pact, if you would please.

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

As a matter of morality and justice I have no objections to the aforesaid councillors's judgment based on their expertise. It is true that my personal opinion is based largely off of my interpretation of these bandits as a potential military resource. We do have as I've stated, a basically non-existent military presence with which to defend ourselves so my concern is more based on whether or not our country can survive an attack by hostile forces or nations within the next year.

As a matter of sound practice any resource which can be reasonably exploited should but if the consensus of the Council is death for the bandits then I have no complaints and will carry out what duties are appropriate for the Military Pact. My personal vote remains unchanged. If the Corrections Pact were to consider the youth of the final two bandits as a mitigating circumstance, the Military would accept them as forcible conscripts in order to ensure that their debt to society is paid appropriately by long-term and hazardous service.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
A brief speech from First Diplomatic Minister DivineCoffeeBinge

(A note: 'First Diplomatic Minister' does not imply leadership in any IC or OOC sense, but I was the first one here so I get to brag about it. Suck it! ;))

Good day to you, my fellow Ministers. As I have been but recently appointed to my position, I shall limit my voting and advice to situations directly touching upon the Diplomatic Pact; I shall at this time trust that my fellows in the other Pacts know their business and shall not deign to give them advice they do not yet need.

With regards to the Witherwoods Dispute, I believe that we speak too quickly; before we begin speaking of ceding the Witherwoods we must first assess the validity of the Republic of Charome's claims, as well as the potential economic losses to our Empire should the current status quo be upended. To that end I would like to extend a formal request to the Research Pact - keepers of the Imperial Libraries and, as such, records - to assist Diplomatic Pact functionaries in assessing the validity of Charome's claims, and to the Economic Pact to give us a better idea of the potential commercial ramifications of this loss of a valuable commercial route and whether or not the Empire can absorb such a loss; while such research is being conducted, the Diplomatic Pact will of course continue discussion with the Republic. Haste, in this instance, will not be our friend.

In addition, First Minister of the Military Puppies raises a valuable point regarding the state of our military; such a state places us in a difficult and untenable diplomatic situation. In this, he deserves the support of the Diplomatic Pact.

DL0001: The Witherwoods Dispute

Keep the Republic of Charome talking and stall them while we do the following:
--Investigate the legality of the Charomian (Charomite?) claims, preferably with help from the Research Pact
--Request advice from the Economic Pact on the potential harm to our economy if the Witherwoods come under Charomian control

First Lomosian Peoples' Hall EMDLRS0001
I vote aye on this Hall's proposal

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

In deference to Pentarch Nabsterian's position, I am also willing to accept his amendment to M0001 under the same terms which I have offered the Grand Maguy. The Lomosian military will match any L$ spent by the Spiritual Pact.

I accept the chaplain in the ranks as well sir, as well as one stationed at the Magical Training Camp so you can have a direct line.

Captain Bravo posted:

M0001: My idea of a perfect government is one guy who sits in a small room at a desk, and the only thing he’s allowed to decide is who to nuke. We need magical nukes immediately. Also we should encourage mercenaries to enlist. They have combat experience, and can be used to train new troops effectively. Offering them a job where they still get to swing a sword, without the threat of having one swung back at them, should be an easy sell.

If you support my research I will bring you those magical nukes. I need the Training Camp to develop a team of magic users we can use to further our power.

EccoRaven posted:

All who are complicit in banditry must be punished.

I know, minister, that you hope to recruit the bandits into the military because of our weak defense forces. But this is not the way to do it. It would do more harm than good to put convicts and brigands into our armies. It would be far better to let justice be done to those who deserve it, and let our armies be made stronger by free citizens of good will.

The magic "bandits", more nomads, will not be dispersed within the forces. They will be trained extremely well before ever seeing the battlefield and will not be mixing with the general population.

Motion
I motion we stop this mad scrambling over 4 decrees at once. Further I state that we make a decision on each Action before moving onto the next. Do we agree? If so then let us decide on E0001

goodness fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Apr 26, 2015

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

--Investigate the legality of the Charomian (Charomite?) claims, preferably with help from the Research Pact

Charomite

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Note: Although I generally attempt to read this thread completely, it is completely possible that I miss some necessary point directed towards me. If this is the case, please do not hesitate to remind me.

• Locked thread