Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
eternalname
Nov 25, 2014

I have a strange feeling...that people are having sex...and it's not with me
The Hurt Locker winning was so obviously a way to avoid a 'popular blockbuster' from winning and to 'make history' by giving the award to a female director, it hurts.

Pretty much everyone today remembers Avatar as a cinematic masterpiece, and The Hurt Locker has already been swept into the dustbin of history.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
No, it was a pretty bad movie

greg sexyvibes
May 7, 2007
IF I EVER FIRST POST AGAIN SOMETHING BAD WILL HAPPEN TO ME
Rareandvaluable-tanium.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Wanamingo posted:

No, it was a pretty bad movie

that has nothing to do with who wins the oscars

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Star trek should have won, to be honest. Looking back on it that was really the one from that year that held up best.

Though to be fair I've never seen Up

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
Avatar was very bad. The story was bad, and the special effects were bad. The acting was bad, and it was badly directed, and the music was bad (can anyone remember the avatar theme?). The font was bad. It was even bad societally, since it began the real push to make all modern action films 3D.

Stoic Commie
Aug 29, 2005

by XyloJW
it made all the money, none of that matters

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Polo-Rican posted:

Avatar was very bad. The story was bad, and the special effects were bad. The acting was bad, and it was badly directed, and the music was bad (can anyone remember the avatar theme?). The font was bad. It was even bad societally, since it began the real push to make all modern action films 3D.

fonts are very important

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
The last winning movie that deserved the award was Silence of the Lambs

PERPETUAL IDIOT
Sep 12, 2003
They should just pick whatever the movie is with the biggest US gross.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Polo-Rican posted:

thank god you weren't the marketing director

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Polo-Rican posted:

The special effects weren't bad (in 3D, they looked like poo poo in 2D), and the direction wasn't bad. The music was as you say lackluster (I mostly remember it as "general chanty like music) and the story suuuuuuuucked.

Hearing James Cameron is going to pretty much blow the rest of his career dicking with Avatar sequels was depressing as all hell. That said at least it went out of it's way to use 3D right. The reason 3D movies sucked for so long after is they were outsourcing conversions for 25 cents an hour and making movies 3D against the director's will and stuff. I can't fault Avatar for using 3D in the best way it could.

Amusing note, in the original script they spent more time on Earth with the main character's brother at the beginning, and it really pushed the idea if the Earth didn't get the unobtanium (Seriously?), literally the entire human race was completely doomed. They obviously cut it because not only does that suddenly make the whole thing more gray, it makes Colonel hardass into a real hero.

If you ever watch the movie again keep that in mind. Even slimy corporate guy suddenly is trying to save the human race, not just make all the money. Totally changes the movie and makes the hero into a real dick. "You can't blow up their tree, even though it has enough material to save the Earth! They really like their loving tree, man!"

ED: Huh I googled it and apparently they even restored these scenes for the director's cut. Did not know that. Haven't watched it a second time ever.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Apr 25, 2015

The Cubelodyte
Sep 1, 2006

Practicing Hypnolaw since 1990
Grimey Drawer
Avatar wasn't too terrible, but it wasn't that good, either. Just expensive.

"Unobtanium" :rolleyes:

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

sexy cat nymphs

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

toggle posted:

sexy cat nymphs

That was pretty much the one good thing about the movie

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

James Cameron's Avatar The Last Airbender sure was an anime. Indeed.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
I have to say, the shooting in 3D certainly added a lot of... depth to the film :smug:

IzzyFnStradlin
Jun 19, 2004
i forget - what was the big claim about this movie? like something having to do with a revolutionary way to do special effects, but i can't remember what.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Avatar was a very safe by the numbers movie. It had some amazing technical achievements, but its storytelling was flat and boring. The only thing I remember about Avatar was the handful of goons who called it the best movie of all time.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

DoctorStrangelove posted:

James Cameron's Avatar The Last Airbender sure was an anime. Indeed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwh--gbw1hY

movie of the year

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

IzzyFnStradlin posted:

i forget - what was the big claim about this movie? like something having to do with a revolutionary way to do special effects, but i can't remember what.

The use of 3D and the use of new evolutionary technology for motion capture. The studio that made the movie, came up with a new easier way to capture actors movement for CGI characters that made the whole process way easier. It allowed them to act without the use of green screens and other methods that made filming challenging and long.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

I said come in! posted:

Avatar was a very safe by the numbers movie. It had some amazing technical achievements, but its storytelling was flat and boring. The only thing I remember about Avatar was the handful of goons who called it the best movie of all time.

it had some big lizard birds too

nonazis
Oct 13, 2014

The ants. They're everywhere, man. Big fuckers.
Can we all agree that OP is biggest human being of the century.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

nonazis posted:

Can we all agree that OP is biggest human being of the century.

I don't know. Hitler was this century.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

Hitler was the 20th century.

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

lol look at this idiot doesn't understand centuries.

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

No.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
No, OP. Hurt Locker deserved it because good movies never win awards.

I'm saying Hurt Locker (and Avatar) were bad. Hurt Locker was just significantly worse.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I liked the hurt locker

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

I said come in! posted:

I said come in! posted:

it was less then a hundred years ago?

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

:wtc:

cr05580n35
Mar 24, 2015
We can agree on this, yes.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

Correct, it was within the last 100 years, but centuries don't work like that.

A century is a very specific 100 year period. The 20th century is 1900 to 1999. 21st century is 2000 to 2099. When someone says, within the last century, they are saying 2000 to the present (2015). A more accurate way to word what you said, would be, Hitler existed within the last 100 years. The way you originally wrote it is incorrect.

I said come in! fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Apr 25, 2015

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Hurt Locker was loving lame as poo poo.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

I said come in! posted:

they don't? let me call Websters

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

they don't? let me call Websters

I could be wrong, we will let Webster decide. That is always a safe bet.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

I said come in! posted:

A century is a very specific 100 year period. The 20th century is 1900 to 1999. 21st century is 2000 to 2099. When someone says, within the last century, they are saying 2000 to the present (2015). A more accurate way to word what you said, would be, Hitler existed within the last 100 years. The way you originally wrote it is incorrect.

my god you are a stupid human being

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

my god you are a stupid human being

At least I didn't think hitler was alive in the 21st century. what an odd alternative reality that would be.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

I said come in! posted:

At least I didn't think hitler was alive in the 21st century. what an odd alternative reality that would be.

you have the worst reading comprehension of anyone ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IzzyFnStradlin
Jun 19, 2004
the hurt locker was a smart choice, b/c if you hate on it you look both unpatriotic (war on terror) AND misogynistic (female director)

• Locked thread