Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Maybe make the raven blue?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Quoth the Flagchat

Forevermore.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Use an orange outline around the bird, will look better than black.

Pea posted:

It looks more like an orange to me.
...and thus, the seeds of the next civil war were planted.

The Citrus Wars began in 512 and did not finish until the late 1300s when both houses agreed that the symbol could be an Orange and a Grapefruit at the same time.

Mr.Morgenstern
Sep 14, 2012

Neruz posted:

The Citrus Wars began in 512 and did not finish until the late 1300s when both houses agreed that the symbol could be an Orange and a Grapefruit at the same time.

I lost my great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-grandfather in the Citrus Wars. Death to the Grapefruit lovers!

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.

Mr.Morgenstern posted:

Death to the Grapefruit lovers!

:supaburn: BURN THE HERETIC! :supaburn:

Although I am interested in how the OP is going to handle the 300 year gap.

PBJ
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Neruz posted:

So something like this, then?

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

PBJ posted:

So something like this, then?

Little thicker and darker, try the same colour orange as behind the arrows and about another pixel of width to the outline.

PBJ
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Neruz posted:

Little thicker and darker, try the same colour orange as behind the arrows and about another pixel of width to the outline.

Alright, one more time then:

edit:

gently caress it, let's go maximum Aryan Arian!

PBJ fucked around with this message at 07:34 on May 4, 2015

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Yeah I could imagine someone waving that around as a coat of arms. The bird does look silly but then again some old coats of arms were pretty goddamn silly looking.

PBJ
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Neruz posted:

Yeah I could imagine someone waving that around as a coat of arms. The bird does look silly but then again some old coats of arms were pretty goddamn silly looking.

It actually looks similar to the House of Sverker's CoA, except with a raven instead of a dragon.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

PBJ posted:

It actually looks similar to the House of Sverker's CoA, except with a raven instead of a dragon.

I just looked that one up and hahahaha that is supposed to be a dragon?

How on earth did people ever take some of these coats of arms seriously.

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012

Neruz posted:

I just looked that one up and hahahaha that is supposed to be a dragon?

How on earth did people ever take some of these coats of arms seriously.

They didn't. It was just a sign of common noble courtesy not to laugh at another noble's crest the way you wouldn't want your own to be laughed at.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Freudian posted:

If I remember my antiquity correctly, that would be bronze for the sky, blue for clear water, and green for blood?

For water, it depends on if you want your seas red-wine dark or white. :v:

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Maybe a bit early for flagchat for a Gaulish Gothic kingdom isn't it? Climate change and Attila may yet force Ofaloaf to have to flee and relocate once more, depending on how strong he manages to become.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Neruz posted:

Yeah, there's really nothing wrong with having a bit of fun when making coats of arms, no reason they all have to be super badass.

PBJ posted:

Sassy dragon.

PBJ posted:

gently caress it, let's go maximum Aryan Arian!

I was so tempted to make the sun cross one of those swastika variants, since they've been quite popular throughout history. I like what you did with the grapefruit though, plus it still follows tincture rules.

Randarkman posted:

Maybe a bit early for flagchat for a Gaulish Gothic kingdom isn't it? Climate change and Attila may yet force Ofaloaf to have to flee and relocate once more, depending on how strong he manages to become.
Each place the Goths settle just adds another part to their CoA, until it looks like a quilt made out of old banners.

PBJ
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Each place the Goths settle just adds another part to their CoA, until it looks like a quilt made out of old banners.

So something like the HRE's CoA?

edit: Also, in the chance that the Huns are out of the way, it may be best to make a dash back to Árheimar, which would provide us will one of the most fertile provinces in the game during the most infertile seasons, as well as restoring the original Gothic realm, which is a bonus mission for the Ostrogoths.

PBJ fucked around with this message at 18:46 on May 4, 2015

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

PBJ posted:

So something like the HRE's CoA?
I recall seeing a CoA with 8x8 or maybe even 16x16 squares, which is probably closer to what I imagined.

PBJ posted:

edit: Also, in the chance that the Huns are out of the way, it may be best to make a dash back to Árheimar, which would provide us will one of the most fertile provinces in the game during the most infertile seasons, as well as restoring the original Gothic realm, which is a bonus mission for the Ostrogoths.
With the added bonus of being in the way of any future Central Asian invasion of Europe.

Space Bat
Apr 17, 2009

hold it now hold it now hold it right there
you wouldn't drop, couldn't drop diddy, you wouldn't dare

YF-23 posted:

I think, three gold Fleur-de-Lis, on a blue field.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Chapter 8: Bellum Germanicum (Spring 410 - Summer 415)

Frankish power in Gaul may have been broken, but peace did not come over the land after their defeat near Aqua Sextiae. The Franks had fostered a friendship with the Alamans before war had begun, and with their armies scattered and smothered, it was time for the Alamanni to do the heavy lifting against us.

The first fight in this Alemannic stage of the war occurs near Octodurum, in the Alps.

Never mind that we're slightly outnumbered! We set our army up in the good ol' three-column formation, and fight our fight.

It's a foggy day for a battle, and our enemy nearly sneaks around our right flank before they're noticed. Our army wheels to face them, charges, and then the melee just turns all efforts at maintain formation into nonsense.

The Alamanni army fragments, we focus on the units that waver, and the rest of the army breaks.

We have the Alamans on the run, but at this point our good Hunnic allies ask us to join another one of their wars.

The terrifying run from the Danube to Gaul happened only ten years prior; the Huns scare us. We'll accept any call to war they ask for, because we really do not want to get on the Huns' bad side again.

Before we move against the Marcomans, we choose to wrap up our small war with the Alamanni. Having bested their greatest army rather handily, we march two armies to the Alamans' capital, Uburzis, besiege and capture the settlement.

Occupying the settlement would mean devoting one of our precious armies to garrison duty, and would just be a big pain to deal with. We instead choose to subjugate the Alamans, forcing them to become a tributary state of ours.

Shoot, as long as we're going down this all-Hun-all-the-time route, we might as well squeeze some extra profit and protection out of this, right? Pre-empting the Huns for once, it's time we offer to join them in a war, but for a price this time around.

We get money and a Hunnic bride for King Vithericus' heir, Widimir. In exchange, we declare war on some tribe on the other side of Europe. That's the ticket!

Wars against the Germanic tribes seem to be the way to go, actually. The Western Roman Empire doesn't control any of the Italian Peninsula proper anymore, and its capital is in Corsica. Northern Italy is either in the hands of Germanics or the Western Roman Separatists. This is prime territory for expansion!

Mediolanum's an easy pick for us. The Marcomans control the city, but their garrison is pretty lovely and there's no roving Marcomannic armies in sight, so we capture the former Western Roman capital over the winter of 411, and celebrate the acquisition of our first bit of Italian real estate.

Having won our first bit of Italy, the Western Roman Separatists declare war on us. We call upon our allies to come to our aid, and all of them answer the call-- except for Italia. Bastards.

That act of backstabbing is followed up by a second act, as the Alamans decide to break their tributary status with us and wage war once again.

Two Alamannic armies sweep through the territories of the Suebi- who seem to be likely supporters of the Germanic alliance angled against us- and drive back our armies to Lugdunum.

Our forces are now split between a garrison in Mediolanum, and weakened armies recuperating near the walls of Lugdunum. The Alamans, happily, decided that the Alps were a fine place to stay, and just camped in the middle of the mountains over the winter of 412, during which time we rallied our spread-out forces and found the Alamans putzing around southeast of Vesontio.

This time, we outnumber the Alamans and defeat their combined armies again. One of the Alamans' allies, the Thuringians, try to distract us with a raid into Turonum, but to hell with that, we march one army back and beat their butts, too.

gently caress 'em.

Thrashing the Alamans again isn't enough to dissuade other people from declaring war on us too. The Marcomans, probably still sore from their own sound beating in the field, convince the Suebi to join their war against us.

Oh well, the Suebians have a town in northern Italy, between Mediolanum and Lugdunum. Time to score another settlement for ourselves!

Another loving faction takes this moment to declare war on us-- this time, it's Gaul who declares war, and promptly razes our northern town of Turonum.

Well they can gently caress right off! Our celebrated Gothic legion marches north, avoids the Gaulish army, and pretty easily seizes the Gaul's lightly-defended capital (and sole settlement) of Rotomagus.

The Gaulish army resettled in the ruins of Turonum while we took Rotomagus, though, and it takes another campaign season for us to march south and retake that city from Gallic hands.

It is the summer of 415, our realm stretches from the Atlantic to the Mediterranean, and you know what? These wars are starting to get a little tiring.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
These borders are going to be off the wall by the time CK2 rolls around.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

There may be some fudging involved.

Mr.Morgenstern
Sep 14, 2012

Looks like the ERE is losing ground against the Sassanids.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
What a clusterfuck. I haven't played TW since Empire, how come they kept adding more and more people to the wars?

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Deceitful Penguin posted:

What a clusterfuck. I haven't played TW since Empire, how come they kept adding more and more people to the wars?
One of the things I've noticed with diplomacy is that relations with tribes will gradually sink if you're at war with someone they like, and if relations sink low enough, they'll go to war with you. Of course, there'll be other tribes that like them, and now you're at war with that tribe, so now those other tribes' relations with you gradually start sinking, and eventually they too shall declare war on you. Those tribes also have friends who like them, and...

Mr.Morgenstern
Sep 14, 2012

I've noticed in Attila that the AI likes to dogpile. If one faction declares war on you, another might as well. Even smaller factions who normally couldn't take you on might declare war in hopes of getting some piece of the pie.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

I feel like that's been a feature of Total War games for a long time. The AI has always been very eager to oppose the player, no matter how strong the player is, or how friendly.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

dublish posted:

I feel like that's been a feature of Total War games for a long time. The AI has always been very eager to oppose the player, no matter how strong the player is, or how friendly.
Yea, but not through factions or anything. In the earlier games everyone hated your fleshy rear end with a cold mechanical hatred.

Just wondering if we'll ever do the same to someone else or if, gods forbid, they actually managed to create a diplomacy system that works after the, what, almost two decades they've been making these games?

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Those borders will be a pain to defend properly. I've noticed you can stave off an attack by parking a stack in a province neighboring your likely attacker, and with the shape of your realm it's pretty much impossible.

Diplomacy system since Shogun 2 is at least predictable. Attila mixes stuff up a bit by introducing traits for factions, and a bit of diplomatic reset every time faction leader dies. And you get to see modifiers affecting your relations.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Diplomacy in TW games is a complete waste most of the time - I guarantee that, even though you have a goddamn marriage alliance with the Huns, they will, at some point in the near future, stab you in the back for no reason.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

A White Guy posted:

I guarantee that, even though you have a goddamn marriage alliance with the Huns, they will, at some point in the near future, stab you in the back for no reason.

They're doing that already by getting him into war with everyone they pass by and will continue to do so until he has investiment fallacied himself into being at war with the whole drat map.

On the upside, all those wars against common enemies sure are improving relations with the Huns!

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

ZearothK posted:

They're doing that already by getting him into war with everyone they pass by and will continue to do so until he has investiment fallacied himself into being at war with the whole drat map.

On the upside, all those wars against common enemies sure are improving relations with the Huns!

Truth is: this was going to happen anyway. Diplomacy in Total War games is a loving joke - if you do anything at all, and even if you don't do anything, the AI will DoW for no good reason - or even better yet, because you can see this a mile away - you'll ally with an AI, and he'll march a huge army off to some city, sit there for a few turns, and then, surprise, surprise siege of the city by that huge army!

Mass DoW and kill every AI you find. This isn't EUIV, this Civ V and every AI is gandhi with nukes.

Green Wing
Oct 28, 2013

It's the only word they know, but it's such a big word for a tiny creature

Total war games tend to be very easy to blob over the whole map, how will you protect against this so that you're not an invincible Empire long before ck2?

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Green Wing posted:

Total war games tend to be very easy to blob over the whole map, how will you protect against this so that you're not an invincible Empire long before ck2?

Don't and just break the Empire up in the centuries between by fiat.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

A White Guy posted:

Truth is: this was going to happen anyway. Diplomacy in Total War games is a loving joke - if you do anything at all, and even if you don't do anything, the AI will DoW for no good reason - or even better yet, because you can see this a mile away - you'll ally with an AI, and he'll march a huge army off to some city, sit there for a few turns, and then, surprise, surprise siege of the city by that huge army!

To be honest that hasn't really been my experience for quite a long time, even if the old games did function on the basis of "Border = War". I've had gamelong alliances in campaigns of Empire (I really need to apologise to myself for that), Napoleon, Rome 2 and Attila. The AI in recent games really isn't keen on disrespecting non-aggression pacts or waging war against an ally unless there are some major factors reducing relations.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
Yeah, as mentioned earlier, I'm still allies with the Huns in my Saxon campaign after a good forty years or so. We have five or six marriage alliances at this point, and they just rampage around the edges of my territory fighting WRES, Dacians, Thuringians, and other fools I don't have time for right now.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

It's actually not that hard to maintain good relations and peace with other factions in Attila. Provided their leaders aren't aggressive or intolerant toward you. Fight common foes, don't declare war on everybody and don't blob out of control (this one is hard for the player to stay away from, as a competent player will nearly always win against the AI in battle given odds that aren't unreasonable), as the great power malus can get quite high after a time.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
In my last game as the Eastern Roman Empire the Huns ended up allying with me and staying peaceful with the WRE Just kept inviting them to every war that the WRE dragged me into and built massive relations. Diplomacy can be pretty broken if you know what you are doing with it.

Mr.Morgenstern
Sep 14, 2012

Yeah, the AI isn't as blindly aggressive as some people make it out to be. I've had plenty of total war games where the AI and I got along just fine. Just remember that each AI has a personality value that deals with aggressiveness, and the more aggressive ones will declare war if they have no other way to expand.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Could we get a list of what color/icon is which faction?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PBJ
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Mr.Morgenstern posted:

Looks like the ERE is losing ground against the Sassanids.

With the sheer tidal wave of doomstacks the Sassanids and friends can bring to bear against the west, it's no surprise.