Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stoic Commie
Aug 29, 2005

by XyloJW
i love you gabriel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

ColoradoCleric posted:

lol at the inevitable shitstorm that happens with people rehosting free mods

the shitstorm has begun; people are going apeshit

the hilarity of it all though, are the people who go apeshit about these things are completely hypocritical and cannot stand by their convictions for a minute.

I think monetizing mods is a bad idea, but the uproar is hilarious. There's literally a change.org petition floaiting around. Like anyone on the earth has ever given a poo poo about an online sig petition.

Moreso, the folks crying about this are already planning boycotts of future valve/betheseda products. The steam gaming community has a wonderful track record of successful boycotting

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW
I'm going to make a terrible game and then get the steam community to boycott it. I'll be rich. Better get on this train now boys before it leaves the station and you're left in poortown.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Universe Master posted:

Let's ask Gaben how he fells about this nerd rage

Alright then

this is pretty low-tier stuff by vegas standards

i mean, he looks like he's having a great time, but touching two hookers in vegas doesn't make you ER-era George Clooney or anything

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
None of you seem to realize just how much this is hurting the Skyrim Realistic Horse Genitals community.

I shudder to think of a Fallout 4 where modders will be too focused making money for me to play the game without realistic mutant cow vaginas, the way God intended it to be played.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Hobohemian posted:

I'm going to make a terrible game and then get the steam community to boycott it. I'll be rich. Better get on this train now boys before it leaves the station and you're left in poortown.

i want to be the next bad rats

gotta get that bad rats money

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax

Madcosby posted:

the shitstorm has begun; people are going apeshit

the hilarity of it all though, are the people who go apeshit about these things are completely hypocritical and cannot stand by their convictions for a minute.

I think monetizing mods is a bad idea, but the uproar is hilarious. There's literally a change.org petition floaiting around. Like anyone on the earth has ever given a poo poo about an online sig petition.

Moreso, the folks crying about this are already planning boycotts of future valve/betheseda products. The steam gaming community has a wonderful track record of successful boycotting

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

gamers are trash, milk them for all they are worth

i can only hope to be as rich as EA some day

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

gaben is fat, hehehe

Section 31
Mar 4, 2012
I never like Steam, I always prefer physical copies that don't require Steam. :colbert:

Also, this man is much better than your false Steam-founder idol...

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I want to have grotesque sex with Gabe Newell while Bill Gates watches

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I thought Gabe Newell was like the only attractive game maker but now he's fat?? Isn't he the dude who made gears of war?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

bill gates may be a philanthropist but i will never forgive him for windows ME

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

Aesop Poprock posted:

I thought Gabe Newell was like the only attractive game maker but now he's fat?? Isn't he the dude who made gears of war?

No, former SA poster CliffyB (Cliff Blezinksi or something) made Gears of War.

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax

Aesop Poprock posted:

jfc!

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Doc Block posted:

No, former SA poster CliffyB (Cliff Blezinksi or something) made Gears of War.

Oh yeah that guy. i looked up gabe newell and he's a bloated dude who runs valve

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
gamers complaining about lovely business practices never does anything, that's why the Xbox One is always-online, requires Kinect, and doesn't let you buy used games

madeupfred
Oct 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
25 hours away from Gabe nEwell's house,,,, don't sleep Freaker,. Gamer justice is coming.

mystery at hog island
Aug 16, 2003
Captain of Outer Space

madeupfred posted:

25 hours away from Gabe nEwell's house,,,, don't sleep Freaker,. Gamer justice is coming.

reported!!!!!!!!!!!

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Sleeveless posted:

gamers complaining about lovely business practices never does anything, that's why the Xbox One is always-online, requires Kinect, and doesn't let you buy used games

but..... it still has the wrong kind of RAM

makes you think

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

I don't get it. It takes time to make a mod, and if you want good things you gotta pay for them. Seems a little entitled to expect people to work for you for free.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
yeah, isn't it a good thing that modders can charge for their stuff now?

Like, if you dont think the mod is worth money then just dont buy the mod :cmon:

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

if more than 25% of the money went to the mod creator, you'd have a better point

a real rude dude
Jan 23, 2005

i buy games and play them sometime

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

chaosbreather posted:

I don't get it. It takes time to make a mod, and if you want good things you gotta pay for them. Seems a little entitled to expect people to work for you for free.

devil is in the details - something that's happened already apparently is modder A released their mod for free, modder B took their mod and added a couple things and charged for it, and when modder A said that wasn't cool modder B tried to take it down but Valve refused. aka intellectual property rights? what intellectual property rights?

the other thing about the way this is being done is that some studios may look at this as an excuse to skimp on QA/UI/etc. because the modders will fix it and they'll get a cut of the proceeds to boot, but that's okay in my book because the studios that do that kind of crap deserve death anyway and this will probably kill them faster.

Explosive Tampons
Jul 9, 2014

Your days are gone!!!
Cuck gabe newell, I hope an autistic german kid hacks his server again and leaks HL3.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

it seems like the only problem with this is how they implemented it and i have faith valve will fix things pretty soon cause they're a good company.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
what does valve do these days ?

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

thathonkey posted:

e-hat based ponzi schemes

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2Y33j9jTn0

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

thathonkey posted:

Pirate amnesty

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
money over everything

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_iJkSmiclg

i love steam thank you gabe

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Wonder who is more sick of having to pose for photos at conventions with moist nerds, her or Summer Glau.

Fumble
Sep 4, 2006

Even Gabe succumbs to hover hand.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
that is clearly photoshopped, no?

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
yeah

im glad I have pixel detecting eyes

madeupfred
Oct 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

chaosbreather posted:

• More money goes to Valve or Bethesda than the modder
  • Steam has removed links to donation websites on some free mods' descriptions
  • Modders do not see a single cent until they make $100 off the mod
  • There is zero quality control with mods at all; you could sell a mod for 99c that uninstalls the base game (mods like this are showing up in the Cities: Skylines Workshop)
  • Requesting a refund for a malicious mod bans you from the Steam Community Market for seven days

madeupfred
Oct 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
It's time to talk about the quality of paid mods.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Fumble posted:

Even Gabe succumbs to hover hand.

never

• Locked thread