Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Reporting for shovel mission Sir.
Sorry for the harsh truths goons but there is no past, present, or future. There is simply SPACETIME and all events occur simultaneously within its 4 dimensions.

But, as we are simple creatures, we can only perceive 3D, and thus life is an unfolding series of trials and tribulations, ending, always, in death.

The choices you are making are already made. The end you deserve has been here the whole time. There is no redemption.

Enjoy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inevitable
Jul 27, 2007

by Ralp

Inevitable
Jul 27, 2007

by Ralp
I couldn't not post that :(

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
which came before, thread or egg

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
will is free for any reasonable definition of will

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

but free willy does, rent it today at your local video store

butt implants
Oct 16, 2004

i'm gay
i guess i'm just deterministically going to tell you to go gently caress yourself and die, redshirt

wane tendo
Mar 19, 2005

Buglord

Darf
Jun 6, 2011

You have quite a treasure there...
FREE TAIWAN

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
cool thing is even if things are predetermined it still doesnt affect things because we cant tell the difference anyway

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006

redshirt posted:

Sorry for the harsh truths goons but there is no past, present, or future. There is simply SPACETIME and all events occur simultaneously within its 4 dimensions.

But, as we are simple creatures, we can only perceive 3D, and thus life is an unfolding series of trials and tribulations, ending, always, in death.

The choices you are making are already made. The end you deserve has been here the whole time. There is no redemption.

Enjoy!

then why can we only observe the time in one direction idiot? why are we going forwards and not backwards for example

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

gary oldmans diary posted:

cool thing is even if things are predetermined it still doesnt affect things because we cant tell the difference anyway

This is the real point and it's basic and easily true, yet still hard for many to accept.

wane tendo
Mar 19, 2005

Buglord

Darf posted:

UNBAN KEEP IT REAL

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
um, yeah, it is

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

ROFLburger posted:

then why can we only observe the time in one direction idiot? why are we going forwards and not backwards for example

Because we are small.

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot
Agreed OP predestination is the protestant truth and the way of the light

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

mdm posted:

Agreed OP predestination is the protestant truth and the way of the light

Cotton Mather was right.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
Pretty sure the OP has already hosed himself, but still, hey OP, Go gently caress yourself!

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

naem
May 29, 2011

redshirt posted:

Enjoy!

The movie INTARSTELLAR youth me that the fifth dimension is love and also that movie taught me that MURPH!!

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

it was determined by the will of the universe that i would shitpost in a gay rear end thread

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

VendaGoat posted:

Pretty sure the OP has already hosed himself, but still, hey OP, Go gently caress yourself!

Thanks friend! I hope you go gently caress yourself as well! :)

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

redshirt posted:

Thanks friend! I hope you go gently caress yourself as well! :)

Way ahead of yah! :dong:

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

VendaGoat posted:

Way ahead of yah! :dong:

We're all loving each other if my reading of SPACETIME is correct.

Stranger Danger Ranger
Jul 21, 2007
There are lizards coming out of my tv.

ROFLburger posted:

what is this is backwards and we only perceive it as forwards by quirk of evolution

flerp
Feb 25, 2014

:worship:

Sinjang
May 29, 2013

redshirt posted:

Enjoy!

L-Smo disagrees

http://www.amazon.com/The-Singular-Universe-Reality-Time/dp/1107074061#productDescription_secondary_view_pageState_1430036775897

quote:

The revolution that Roberto Mangabeira Unger and Lee Smolin propose relies on three central ideas. There is only one universe at a time. Time is real: everything in the structure and regularities of nature changes sooner or later. Mathematics, which has trouble with time, is not the oracle of nature and the prophet of science; it is simply a tool with great power and immense limitations.

monkey
Jan 20, 2004

by zen death robot
Yams Fan
You guys have got the whole time thing backwards. Time does not exist. Existence times.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

I am glad that I have no free will because it absolves me of every abject failure and embarrassment I have suffered and will yet suffer throughout this absurd fleshy life of mine.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

OP it is essential that you poop your pants.

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.
The Singular Universe and the Reality of Time.

http://www.amazon.com/Singular-Univ...ngluar+universe

krampster2
Jun 26, 2014

thought title said "will ferrell does not exist"

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

HAVNET U SEEN THE EYEOEPNING DOCUMENTERY "WHAT THE BLEEP DO WE KNOW" IT TALKS ABOUT HOW U ACTULLY HAVE CONTROL OVER EVRYTHING AT A QUANTUM LEVEL AND U ACTUALLY CAN CONTRAIL EVRYTHING IN THE MATERIAL WORLD

OPEN UR EYES SHEEPLE

AdvancesMONKEY
Mar 30, 2010

by Lowtax
it almost certainly dont. your still a crappy fellow.

IzzyFnStradlin
Jun 19, 2004
if you think you have free will, i suggest you watch a little film called "the butterfly effect"

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien
what if the will transcends the linear passage of time and we r each just scriptwriters for our own adventures beyond the cylce of birth and death

http://www.racismreview.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/Black-Jesus.jpg

tvayisnihyaami
Dec 23, 2012

by Lowtax

redshirt posted:

Enjoy!

i actually realized this while trippin hard on acid and meditating

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

tvayisnihyaami posted:

i actually realized this while trippin hard on acid and meditating

speak of the realm ff selflesnses

Otto von Ruthless
Oct 1, 2014
drat thanks for solving philosophy redshirt

Adbot