Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
So it's been just over a month since I adopted my dog from the shelter, since then people have stopped me on my walks to ask if she's part coyote. After researching it a bit, I found out its actually a possible thing where I live. I'm in Tucson, Arizona and she was found on the outskirts of town.

This is Dakota:

She's a very sweet dog who has a few little quirks that make me question her dogness.

-Her eyes and "serious face." You can't tell in the dark cellphone picture but she has the most piercing yellow eyes. Her pupils get big and doofy when she's playing or excited, but if anything grabs her attention suddenly, her ears shoot up and her face shifts into exactly this:

This GIS picture of a coyote is exactly how her face looks when she's interested in something.

-Her paws. I don't know how sharp most shepherd dog's paws are, but her nails can easily break skin. She does this thing where she jumps up for treats or pets, but when she starts to slip she digs her paws into you and it can put holes in your shirt. We're working on the jumping-up thing.

-Everybody says her tail is a coyote tail, but I could see it being a German Shepherd tail.

Maybe I'm imagining it, she's a cool looking dog regardless. Hopefully some PI goon dog-lovers know more about this than me. Good news is she's brilliant and she craves my approval, so training her has been easier than I thought it would be. I'll post better lit pics when the sun comes up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark
I dunno I think we need more pictures.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Yeah my house is poorly lit at night, I'll get her in the sun tomorrow so you can see her coat and face better.

PartyCrown
Dec 31, 2007
Wow yup, that sure is a GSD mix (I seriously doubt there's any coyote in there, otherwise you'd probably be having some serious behaviour issues. Features like that are pretty common across all canids).

Maldoror
Oct 5, 2003

by R. Guyovich
Nap Ghost
I don't think it's possible to know for certain without doing an expensive DNA test.

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009
When I visited a tourist town with my 4 month old sheltie, I lost count the number of times people asked me if he was a fox or part fox (New Zealand has no foxes) and everywhere we went I could hear whisperwhisperfoxwhisper So maybe your dog has a bit of coyote but also maybe people say dumb things about animals that are wrong.

DNA test for shits and giggles if you want to spend the cash though.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
People always complement my brother's shiba as being a very beautiful fox. I hope this helps you.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

ok frankies now lets get in formation
your dog is not part coyote

Inevitable
Jul 27, 2007

by Ralp
Your dog is definitely a very cute dog.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Good enough for me, I'm not going to waste the cash on a DNA test, but I might just start lying to people that ask.

And yeah there have been no behavior problems outside of normal new-dog stuff, so I think that's that.

Nerwign
Dec 7, 2012

I was at the vet recently and my pets were complimented on by multiple people who mis-identified my guinea pigs as bunnies. ... It doesn't take much.

Guinea Pig:

Rabbit:

I guess lots of people just don't know what a guinea pig even is so they assume it's a bunny because it's fluffy and doesn't have a nasty skanky rat-tail coming out it's rear.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
Your dog looks very much like a cattledog mix. In some parts of the country they dock cattledog tails because with the tail their silhouette looks too much like a coyote and they end up getting shot.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

Your dog looks very much like a cattledog mix. In some parts of the country they dock cattledog tails because with the tail their silhouette looks too much like a coyote and they end up getting shot.

I could see that, my initial thought was that she's German Shepherd and some other shepherd mix, being how she's colored and how small she is. Plus she's the smartest dog I've ever tried training.

Ferryll
Sep 16, 2013

<3

If I were you, I'd just call your dog some fancy wolf-looking dog breed, like one of these: http://srai01.hubpages.com/hub/11-dogs-similar-to-wolf
People will stop asking and just respond with "Of course! I was totally thinking the same thing" and walk away.
You could even come up with your own unique breed name and get the same reaction.
I think "Mudblood" has a nice HarryPotter ring to it.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Tamarillo posted:

When I visited a tourist town with my 4 month old sheltie, I lost count the number of times people asked me if he was a fox or part fox (New Zealand has no foxes) and everywhere we went I could hear whisperwhisperfoxwhisper

I could've sworn I heard that foxes and dogs are genetically incompatible.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

Rolo posted:

I could see that, my initial thought was that she's German Shepherd and some other shepherd mix, being how she's colored and how small she is. Plus she's the smartest dog I've ever tried training.

I'd believe a GSD/cattledog mutt.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

Cockmaster posted:

I could've sworn I heard that foxes and dogs are genetically incompatible.
They are! Coyotes and dogs aren't, though - but coydogs are extremely destructive, skittish and almost impossible to train, so if OP really had one then he'd know because she'd have dug her way through his kitchen wall or something by now.

She is a very, very pretty dog though. :3:

Maldoror
Oct 5, 2003

by R. Guyovich
Nap Ghost
http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/coydog.htm

PartyCrown
Dec 31, 2007

dogbreedinfo isn't really a reliable source for anything

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

I'd believe a GSD/cattledog mutt.

Far more believable than a special snowflake coyote hybrid or wolf hybrid.

tumblr.txt
Jan 11, 2015

by zen death robot
I've had children scream "wolf" and run to their mothers. It owns.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Cythereal posted:

Far more believable than a special snowflake coyote hybrid or wolf hybrid.

Best of both worlds: A cool looking dog that baffles the local neighborhood dumb people, and acts completely domesticated.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

The original cattledogs were herding dogs crossed with domesticated dingoes, so if you want to pretend you have a special snowflake exotic wild dog hybrid you can say you have a dingo mutt and it'd just be really stretching the truth instead of an outright lie.

Inevitable
Jul 27, 2007

by Ralp

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

The original cattledogs were herding dogs crossed with domesticated dingoes, so if you want to pretend you have a special snowflake exotic wild dog hybrid you can say you have a dingo mutt and it'd just be really stretching the truth instead of an outright lie.

And brace yourself for the "ate my baby" jokes.

adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

Rolo posted:

if anything grabs her attention suddenly, her ears shoot up and her face shifts into exactly this:

This GIS picture of a coyote is exactly how her face looks when she's interested in something.

That.. looks like the face of any canid staring at something. There is nothing in this photo that particularly screams "coyote!!!" at me (other than, you know, being an actual coyote).

Rolo you are cute but you have a really handsome mutt dog. I would bet many monies she doesn't have a drop of coyote.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Yeah I don't doubt it at all, I just knew literally nothing about the sort of thing and the local "experts" made me curious.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Take this with a bucket of salt, but I'd be worried telling people my dog was part coyote, in case there's lunatics who think coyotes are the scum of the earth that all need to be destroyed. Spare your dog from getting murdered or poisoned. Same goes for 'wolf dogs' that aren't actually wolves.

That's still a hella handsome dog. :3:

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

OK, you can go out, just don't make that stupid face you always make.

god dammit

That's probably it for the thread, I'll close it down sometime tomorrow.

adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

Rolo posted:

OK, you can go out, just don't make that stupid face you always make.

god dammit

That's probably it for the thread, I'll close it down sometime tomorrow.

Noooooo don't close it, keep posting pictures of your dog. She's super awesome looking, I love everything about her :3:

Inevitable
Jul 27, 2007

by Ralp
Hey Rolo, I think your dog might be part my dog.

Mapparu
Sep 22, 2013

i thought this was ironic but it wasnt. has this ever happened before?

Mapparu
Sep 22, 2013

vet: this is a coyote not a dog
me: no its a dog
vet: ma'am this dog is trying to kill me
me: so what are you implying

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Mapparu posted:

i thought this was ironic but it wasnt. has this ever happened before?

Supposedly.

Vet said it's rare but it happens out in here in the desert, I see more coyotes than I do strays where I live. People call them coydogs, which is uninspired.

Never really thought the doofus was a wild animal, just that there might be some in the gene pool somewhere. I am not a dog geneticist, but I thought it'd make an interesting topic.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Inevitable posted:

Hey Rolo, I think your dog might be part my dog.

I wish there was a gang of these roaming the outskirts of my neighborhood.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

Rolo posted:

People call them coydogs, which is uninspired.

Would dogotes be any better?

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Now she's doing this thing I just learned is called "coat blowing" where my bed looks like she killed a chinchilla in it.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

Buy a furminator and pull all you can out (outside of you can swing it) and you'll be much happier.

Inevitable
Jul 27, 2007

by Ralp

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

Buy a furminator and pull all you can out (outside of you can swing it) and you'll be much happier.

Seriously, the furminator is a great invention.

vinnie1023
Sep 27, 2002

Coping with unoriginality since 1998.

This is Pepper. She is a cattledog mix who has similar ears and the same piercing eyes you talk about (especially when you try to get her to do something she knows she should but doesn't want to). She is smaller than most cattledogs and everywhere we go people ask what kind of dog she is, but in reality she's just a run-of-the-mill mix with some strongly expressed traits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I figured it out the other day when she farted so loud it woke her up and she fell off the bed. She's 100% idiot.

That eats poop.

• Locked thread