Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

UK ZX6R riding goon here.

Being a bit daft I've always liked the idea of riding Route 66 (yes, I know the road doesn't actually exist any longer) I've been looking at either a pre-booked self-ride trip (I hate riding in convoy, so an organised tour is right out), or hiring a motorcycle and making it up as I go along (though I understand that there's a pretty hefty fee to pay handing the bike back at the other side of the country), however Eagle Rider seem to have a monopoly on hire and I don't really like the bikes they offer - I'm not prepared to pay the premiun for a Harley (and that riding position - not for me) and the Bonnevilles aren't too comfortable.

Are there any companies that hire out nice tourers or sports-tourers?

Would buying a 2nd hand bike at one end and selling it at the other be viable?

I have also pondered shipping my bike over, but sea frieght would leave me without a bike in the UK for a total of 12 weeks :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
It actually does still exist. I've heard anecdotally that the eastern part (where it starts in Chicago or something?) is kinda awful but the southwest is good.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

Angrymog posted:

Would buying a 2nd hand bike at one end and selling it at the other be viable?

If you can get some goon help with this, it seems like the best option.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Nidhg00670000 posted:

If you can get some goon help with this, it seems like the best option.

That's what I was thinking.

MooseNoose
Aug 6, 2006

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

It actually does still exist. I've heard anecdotally that the eastern part (where it starts in Chicago or something?) is kinda awful but the southwest is good.

I have first hand experience driving from Chicago to AZ on "rt. 66" 4 round trips total... anything east Albuquerque is mind blowing boring especially the panhandle of Texas. I personally think the op's time would be better spent on the west end of the states. I'd say buying a bike would be the best way to go regardless, check on ADV rider as well.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

What about coast to coast instead? Or is there still a big boring bit in the middle regardless of which way you go?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
How long do you have? Mexico / San Diego to Vancouver.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

BlackMK4 posted:

How long do you have? Mexico / San Diego to Vancouver.

Not looking at more than 3-4 weeks.

ReverendCode
Nov 30, 2008
I have done both the East-West cross country trip, with a lot of time on Rte. 66, as well as the trip from San Diego up, if you are spending money to come to America to ride bikes, stay on the west coast, the east side of the country is much worse for riding, and honestly, if I had to pick, I would ride highway 1 forever. (San Diego -> Canada)

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Angrymog posted:

Not looking at more than 3-4 weeks.
I've got to agree. 3-4 weeks would give you lots of time to do a nice zig-zag route between the coast, desert, mountains, all the way up to Canada and possibly even have left over time to explore a decent amount of BC/Alberta mountain parks.

Not sure about the best way to handle to whole buying/selling thing though, especially if you end up in a different country.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
I think you could spend 3-4 weeks going up the west coast, with some good inland detours. I think it would be heaven, too.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
I could probably work out bike and insurance stuff for you, depending on timelines. Done it once before, it worked out just fine.

You'd have to start and end in the Bay Area though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Thanks for your advice folks.

What I have decided is to put this off until 2017 when I can combine biking around the west coast with a visit to Oregon to visit friends and see the eclipse. I will go for the buying a bike whilst there method, so will probably post simillar thread in a couple of years and look for goon bike buying help then. :)

• Locked thread